New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default The Center Cannot Hold [Group B]

Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-04-11 at 04:46 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: The Center Cannot Hold [Group B]

decided to make a new post, on the off chance folks are waiting for a new post to register in their thread subscriptions box.

Narrator:
    It is a pleasant evening at the Cork and Arrow, a mid sized tavern in the Imperial garrison town of Deenan, the only strong imperial presence in the eastern frontier of Caradhras. You are awaiting contact from a fellow named Dal-Penel, a gnome that finds you work from time to time. You have just about finished your supper, and are listening to a minstrel tell the tale of the fall of a great empire, one that ruled a thousand years ago. It might be an interesting tale, but this minstrel isn't very good. The gist of it is that the capital of this empire was sacked by a barbarian horde, and the elite warriors of the empire never showed up to fight in the battle. The emperor drank from a poisoned goblet rathet than face the humiliation of defeat. The tale is about to end when your contact sits down at the table with you. He has dark hair that is a shade of purple, you think. It would be unusual if he wasn't a gnome. He is dressed in dark green and gray clothes, of a fashionable cut.
    "Evenin' gents. I 'ave some work lined up for you. Fella by the name of Illichin Melindy owns a diamond mine a day 'nd a 'alf north from here. 'Parently there's some crazy muck taken over the mine, killed his men, and the last group he sent to check it out did nae come back. Payoff is 400 platinum, plus he'll look the other way if you want to pocket any loose diamonds you find. This crazy mook's probly got some magic of his own you can loot as well- Melindy's got no interest in tha', he just his mine operational again, afore the empire misses its next shipment. Thar's 'ell to pay if the empire don't git its taxes from him, and they want the dimonds, not gold."
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-04-01 at 01:10 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Dvalr

Dvalr chases the last scraps of cheap sauce around the plate with a small chunk of bread and rolls his eyes ''Hell to pay? Anythin' to avoid the Empire missin' out on its taxes.'' After a moments thought, he adds: ''Do we get any more information apart from 'day an' a half north' and 'crazy muck'? I'm in, but I wouldn't mind more information on what I'm in fer. Give me more news an' I'll pay fer yer next drink or two.''
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Dal Penel pulls out a map. It isn't particularly well drawn, but it is good enough to get the idea of where things are. The location of the diamond mine is marked on the map.

"I don't have much intel on the guy. I heard he's got some earth critters workin' with him. One of the survivors from the first attack said he saw a critter with a mouth on top of its 'ed, and eyes on its side. Three long clawed arms, and it came up out of the ground, and et most of 'is crew."

DC 18 Knowledge Planes or Bardic Lore to identify as a Xorn. DC 28 to know its special qualities. Yes, this is ad-hoc DCs, the standard rules for that are rubbish.

Spoiler
    Show

I will have an actual image of the map tomorrow
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-04-01 at 04:47 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Adrian
    "Wonderful. We get to help finance the Empire," he snorts. "Still, it's quite a bit of money." He leans back in his chair.

"I'm in. Though...with the Empire controlling most of the magic, either they are going to come down on this guy too, when they get the chance, or he's a rogue from the Empire." This may get a bit more interesting if we don't get there quickly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Yann

A fine-featured elf steeples her fair fingers and massages her temples through the silky golden locks obscuring her forehead. The corners of her lips curl ever so slightly into a frown as her gaze narrows...

Ydralianna heaves a sigh and reaches down, grasping the dirty pewter mug as if it were the daintiest goblet of glamerglass. She swirls the vessel and stares into the murky depths of the cheap ale within.

How low I have fallen... serving the very foe against which I was sworn... Well, at least wherever I go, I can bring some measure of the cheer of ages past, some measure of the learning that was lost at the fall of Larevyn...

Yann takes one last sip of the bitter brew then slides the still-half-filled mug to her dwarven companion. Tired green eyes meet his and with a wink and a half-hearted smile gives the ale away.

As Dal-Penel prattles on about their latest contract, Yann's melancholy slowly fades as her innate curiousity comes to the fore. She leans forward, eyes glittering in the tavern's smoky light. Out flashes her charcoal pen and a sheet of rough parchment and almost without knowing it, she takes swiftly to transcribing their latest encounter with the gnome. Knowledge--- in whatever form, from whatever source it may come, is precious. Knowledge is a sacred power that flows through all life. Learn, keep on learning, keep on remembering and keep on teaching. Never let knowledge go to waste, or worse, be used toward the wrong ends...

Her breathing quickens a pace as she remembers the doctrine handed down to all novice loremasters at the Library of Larevyn and her lips come together in a grim line as she keeps on writing...

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+12)[22] Bardic Lore about the 'creature'

And then at the mention of the "earth critter", her breath comes short. Her mind races with remembrance and a corner of her lips curls back in revulsion, in disgust and loathing. Recalling the strange creature that had once graced, no, stained an examination table in the Library, Yann speaks forth, "That beast that slew those men--- the one with three arms... 'Tis called a 'Xorn', indeed as you have very well said, a being of elemental earth. However, verily, what is quite interesting to note at this point is that xorns are not flesh-eating monsters of the dark romances. Rather, 'tis a creature that quite literally feeds on and consumes raw ores, precious metals and other minerals... therefore it is not implausible to conclude that it was after the diamonds that your man Melindy has sought to procure"
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-01 at 09:28 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Well, if ya 'avn't got any more questions, I've got some horses ready for you. Will you be 'edin out t'night, or waitin' til mornin'?"
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Dvalr

Catching Yanns eyes and accepting the drink, Dvalr grins. Or at least makes the effort.

''A xorn, eh? So what you're sayin' is we're going to go an' kill something that's eatin' Empire taxes? Shouldn't we be givin' it a medal an' helpin' 'im? Ah...do they insist it gets killed? What if we just move it, or get 'im back to 'is 'ome?

Looking into the drink, thoughtfully, Dvalr speaks again after a few moments. I say we leave now. The sooner we leave, the sooner we get back. Oh, and grab yourself a drink, Dal. and with those words, Dvalr throws a silver peice onto the table in front of his Gnomish contact, drains the ale Yann had passed him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just in case you want it for a half full thing of cheap ale. fortitude - (d20+8)[10]

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"There really ain't much but grassy plains between here and there. When you start to see the mountains rising in the distance, you'll be getting close to where you're going. Coming from the south, as ya likely will be, you'll hit the mining camp afore you get to the mine itself."

OOC: what happened to the post I just responded too?
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-04-02 at 02:03 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

((@^: Sorry, chief. It was... inconsistent...))

"I highly doubt that that lone xorn is all that there is over yonder..." the grey elf mutters.

"Though to our eyes such creatures seem beastly and savage, they are actually no more or less intelligent than you or I. I suspect more than a tad of magical mischief is afoot here for it takes a spellcaster of significant power to bring xorns from their native elemental plane and here bind them and enslave them" Yann pauses thoughtfully, stroking her chin.

"As you have indeed stated, Dvalr, we can 'move it' or return it to its home--- verily, such liberation for a spellbound slave is the solution I would myself prefer, but if that is our course of action then we must find some way of breaking the spellchains that anchor it to its unnatural service..." thus she says and grunts as she picks up her pack and shoulders it.

Huffing with the strain and somewhat wishing that she had ordered something more substantial than soup and salad, Ydralianna straightens her stance, standing as tall and steady as she can. Trying not to lean too much on her staff, she forces a smile and inclines her head ever so slightly towards Dal-Penel. "May the Seldarine smile upon you. Our thanks for the aid in time of need", she intones the olden blessing even though it rankles her heart to have been forced into such shady dealings...

She then tucks her charcoal pen away and blows upon her scroll, making sure that it is clean of loose scrapings. Taking the parchment itself, she folds it backwards, then slips it into one of her numerous folders in her satchel of scrolls and other papers. Arching a delicate brow at her companions, she says, "Well comrades, the moon waits not... shall we be off, then?"
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-02 at 02:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Adrian
    "Travel here and stay awake in town through the day, then depart at night and... travel through the night and the next day? Time is important, but we should also take care of ourselves, and that means having enough sleep. Let's leave first thing in the morning--out before sunrise when there are fewer observers, and eat breakfast on the move."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

In the afternoon of the first day of travel, as you are making your way through the grassy plain, you hear a low growl. Before any of you can react, a great cat with a fiery mane and glowing red eyes leaps upon Lenneth, biting and clawing. Its roar echoes across the plain, and is answered by a pair of growls, one to your left, the other to your right, the source of both still unseen. The lion's teeth and claws sink deeply into Lenneth's arm and torso (3 hits, 22dmg total), nearly dragging him to the ground, but in a feat of heroic strength, he throws the creature off (you beat the lion's grapple check with I. Grab).

[OOC]wow, both Group A & B were caught totally unawares in the first encounter. That does not bode well.[/OOC]

Initiative:

Dvar Urrand
    Ashley Lebed
    Lions
    Spoiler
    Show
    The lion will continue to attack Lenneth, unless he withdraws, in which case it will attack/pounce the nearest target

Adrian
    Nicolas Sinvos
    Lenneth Brynhild
    Ydralianna "Yann" Kyr'n

DC 10 knowledge: nature to recognize lions, DC 15 to know special traits of lions.
    DC 10 knowledge: planes to recognize fiendish creature, DC 20 to know special traits of fiendish creatures.

Anyone with combat reflexes and a reach weapon may take an AoO on the lion when it charged Lenneth.

You failed to spot the lions still in hiding. It is a move action to retry in combat after failing the initial free spot check.

The tall grass in this area provides concealment to opponents more than 10 feet away.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-04-03 at 12:09 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+6)[16] Knowledge Nature check
    (1d20+5)[17] Knowledge Planes check

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowlege (nature) (d20+7)[9]
    Knowlege (the planes) untrained (d20)[4]
    Both failed? I'm a wilderness dwarf who doesn't know what a lion is?!

''Ah, wha-'' Quickly reaching for his morningstar from his side, Dvalr, grasping it with both hands, charges the catlike beast. ''Don't worry, Lenneth, I'll get ye out! Upon reaching the creature, Dvalr swing his morning star, throwing the force from the charge at the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]d20+12[/roll]
    [roll]d8+7[/roll]

Battle stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dvalr: 60/60hp, AC 14, longstrider
    Last edited by SoD; 2008-04-03 at 02:02 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Go ahead and post your actions, guys.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (d20+12)[30]
    Damage: (d8+7)[15] wouldn't let me roll on edited post.

Battle stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dvalr: 60/60hp, AC 14, longstrider

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Adrian
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Check, Nature - (1d20+2)[13]

If the other two lines come into line of sight and are reachable, Adrian will move towards the closest one and attack it in melee. If not, he moves to the lion attacking Lenneth.

Once he reaches the lion, his staff becomes a fast-moving blur.

Spoiler
    Show

Flurry of Blows, -2 to all attacks means I get 3 attacks w/ Qstaff at +6
    Attack1 - (1d20+6)[8]
    Damage1 - (1d6+2)[4]
    Attack2 - (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage2 - (1d6+2)[4]
    Attack3 - (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage3 - (1d6+2)[7]
    not sure if AOO applies, rolling it in OOC
    Last edited by J-H; 2008-04-03 at 07:39 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Adrian
    Not sure if I got an AOO or not. If I do, here it is. I'm assuming that since it's an AOO rather than part of the flurry, it's made at full AB... if not, -2 on my to-hit.
    Spoiler
    Show

OOPS wrong window, this went into IC. Rather than clutter with more posts and a re-roll I guess I"ll leave this here. sorry
    Attack1 - (1d20+8)[10]
    Damage1 - (1d6+2)[4]
    Last edited by J-H; 2008-04-03 at 07:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Ydralianna "Yann" Kyr'n

"Ailisel Seldarie!" Yann yells, her fair voice tainted with distress at their sudden plight. "Beware their claws lest they bring you down and rend you asunder!"

Keeping her staff levelled and steady in front of her, ready to fend off any beast should it come for her, the elven bard slinks up to the right behind the three warriors holding the beast at bay. Wincing at the lion's devilish growling, Yann steels herself and then lunges forward and touches Adrian's upper arm with a tender hand then sings some words of power in the high tongue of her people and the younger Common tongue.

"Sisir eil palaer, molol thys si kyr eil vol
    Vari col sia shydia caer, shi vyr ail Jhasaerol'm jhol
    Moli ol ail balys, ber si tari eil kaer si tol...

Fearless and dauntless, striving for the good and right
    Raise high thy bloody heads, be proud in Larethian's light
    Strive on in valour, just the cause and great the might..."

((Cast Heroism---+2 on practically every roll--- on Adrian. Prepare to either cast Grease on the lion/s or cast another Heroism spell on Dvalr))
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-04 at 05:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Ashley yawns as she walks along with the group, staring at the ground. She was still having a bit of trouble getting used to a more 'normal' schedule, sleeping at night and waking early every morning, and she fails to notice the attack until she hears her companion's cries. Cursing under her breath, she drops down quickly, drawing her bow. Taking cover in the tall grass, her eyes peering through it as she scans for a target, doing her best to remain hidden at the same time.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[7] Spot
    (1d20+16)[25] Hide
    (1d20+16)[34] Move Silently

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Dvalr charges at the fiendish lion as Ashley fades away into the concealing tall grass, as still and silent as a field mouse. Dvalr's strike lands true, and there is an audible crack as the lions head snaps back, and blood gushes from its temple. With unnatural ferocity, it continues to press the attack on Lenneth, tearing into him, and once more biting deeply, this time across his torso (total of 17 damage). Lenneth once again throws the creature off of him, and with a savage howl, his form twists and warps, his muscles strengthening, fur growing across his body, and massive sharp horns bursting forth from his skull. As Adrian moves up and strikes at the creature with his staff, Lenneth lowers his head and catches the beast's stomach on his horns, tearing through its hide and causing its guts to spill out across the prairie ground, mixing with his blood.

*wow, I guess it pays to NPC. near max damage crit that I rolled on behalf of Lenneth*

OOC: So, I am giving Lenneth until the next time I am online (see OOC thread) to post. If he posts, his display of savagery is too much for the remaining lions, and they flee through the grass. If he doesn't, they leap upon him with claws and fangs, almost certainly rending him asunder.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Dvalr

Dvalr looks on, suprised at the quick finish of the beast.

''Once again, I'm filled with the thought that if he turned on us, we'd never know. I don't know what that beast was-'' says Dvalr as he draws his handaxe from his belt, ''but I'm not betting on it being alone.''

Dvalr looks around, trying to check for more 'large cat beasts', and murmurs under his breath: ''Nyr doch, gilgunn.''

Spoiler
    Show
    spot - (1d20+2)[14]
    Last edited by SoD; 2008-04-09 at 12:58 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"Indeed, dear comrades..." Yann mutters, her fair hands clutching the cold medallion of Corellon that lies hidden beneath the bodice of her dress.

Taking a deep breath, she bursts once more into a song of inspiration to unfailing valiant courage.

"Stand ready
    Stand steady
    Silver souls gleaming in the sable sky
    Your valour does not lie
    Watch the darkness,
    The shadows, bless
    Bless them with fire and steel
    Heroes' wrath, you make them feel"

((Rip forth with some Inspire Courage, yo... that is, if the lions attack again))

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Ashley returns to a more casual pose, not putting her bow away quite yet. "Are... um, are they gone?"She continues to scan her surroundings carefully, still on edge from the suddenness of the attack.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Dvar Urrand
    Ashley Lebed
    Adrian
    Nicolas Sinvos
    Lions
    Ydralianna "Yann" Kyr'n

Two lions leap out from where they were hiding and tear into Lenneth with teeth and claws, leaving naught but a shredded bloody ruin when they are through. Yann speaks words of encouragement to all, to counter the horrific sight. This concludes the second round.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Dvalr
    Shocked at the sudden appearance of the additional beasts, Dvalr swiftly turns and swings at the one closer to him, shouting out an incomprehesiable scream of rage and anger:

Swinging his weapons wildly, Dvalr thinks to himself: One moment of innatention can be dangerous. This was a harsh lesson for us, and, although we will mourn him, it must be a lesson learnt. Maktub.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack rolls, etc. here, because I screwed up. Again.

Oh, and: Dvalr: AC 16, 45 HP. Uninjured.
    Last edited by SoD; 2008-04-10 at 06:45 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Adrian
    Adrian chooses the nearest lion and moves to attack it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do we get any AOOs? Rolling AOO and full attack, if they are farther away (should be close) then only get 1 attack I think. No flurry this time since I don't know if I'm getting full attack.
    AOO if needed - (1d20+10)[26]
    AOO Dmg - (1d6+2)[8]
    Attack1 - (1d20+10)[11]
    Damage1 - (1d6+2)[3]
    Attack2 - (1d20+10)[24]
    Damage2 - (1d6+2)[8]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

"Fallen comrade,
    Dear Lenneth
    Thou shalt not fade
    Even unto direst death
    We'll treasure thy memory,
    And cherish thy legacy
    Of the world's woes, be ye now fee
    Thus I exhort ye dear friends
    Avenge his doom to the bloody world's ends
    Arise in might
    Show these beasts
    Our cause be just and right
    With valour true
    With naught to rue
    Herewith we ban
    That they, on innocent heroes' flesh have their feasts!"

Blinking back damned tears at Lenneth's senseless slaughter, at the demise of so noble a savage, Yann's soul sings forth a song of sorrow, of pain and of exhortation. Magic and might there flow through from her heart and into her hands as she reaches forth and empowers Dvalr with her touch.

((Continue Inspiring Courage. Cast Heroism on Dvalr.))

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Wide eyed with shock at the slaughter of their companion, Ashley raises her bow, snapping off a quick shot at the closest animal, taking several nervous steps backward as she does.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack the closest lion with +1 Shortbow, with inspire courage:
    (1d20+8)[11] to hit
    (1d6+2)[8] for damage
    5 foot step back after the shot is taken

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Adrian and Dvalr fall upon the lions, quickly slaying one. The other turns towards Adrian, its claws and teeth dripping with blood. Adrian is quick and agile, and manages to avoid all but a grazing blow across his back (9dmg) from the lion's claw. A surge of confidence flows through Dvalr as Yann's magic takes effect.

OOC: remember that your flurry of blows is a standard action for you, due to my houserules for the monk.

Next round.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects: