New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 103 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 93

Wow, now that was another twist, switch sides at middle of turn to gain another turn. slick I like it.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: 103 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 93

How do alliances work?

The "Don King", Charlescomm, Zammussel and maybe other forces seem to be allied only with Jetstone... mmmm...

And obviously, Parson´s call has truly affected Ansom. And... What if Vinny´s forces get to croak Stanley? Will it be the fall of GK?

My bet: Stanley will prevail over the Coalition Air Forces.
    Last edited by Generalissimus; 2008-04-10 at 04:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Ansom's scary when he's angry...here's hoping he'll slip up!
    -Ex Chaos Adveho Ordo-
    Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    I don't join groups i just play with myself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by †Seer† View Post
    Ansom's undoing is going to be his own vanity / ego.
    "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure..."

Wherever you go... there you are.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by †Seer† View Post
    And he has appointed Zammusel as Commander of the air units. Without Vinny and the barbarian at his side to contain his anger, Ansom´s good sense and charisma may be affected...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, what? I'm actually here before the fifth page? Yay. Also, neat update. :P
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'm not sure what just happened, but it can't be good for Ansom to be dispatching his air forces along with Vinny and Jillian right before he makes his ground assault, now alone against Parson...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, i knew Ansom would be mad and probably snap at people suspecting them of treason... but i really didn't think he would snap at Vinnie of all people... Things are looking up on the alliance break up, but it be all for nought if Stanely gets croaked

Seems Jillian does have a considerable amount of force with her... Her, Vinnie, the gwiffens, more than just the original 3 archons, the centaurs, and possibly a Don king warlord (the rest are more like cannon fodder)

Jillian is gonna get a double movement and that could be enough for her to attack Stanely... if that's the case then things are looking pretty bad for Stanely... without a successful Veil he'll be attacked as soon as they catch up; his only chance is to get that veil up so that he can keep running... Parson's defence against Ansom will mean nothing if Stanely gets croaked...

That Wig really isn't doing Jillian any Favors... now the archons, they know how to pull off the look

Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimus View Post
    How do alliances work?

The "Don King", Charlescomm, Zammussel and maybe other forces seem to be allied only with Jetstone... mmmm...
    All of the forces are allied with Jetstone; they are leading this alliance... however, at the end of their turn, Don King (probably the owner of the flying centaur things), Charlescomm, Zammussel and Vinnie will break off from Jetstone and ally under Vinnie's flag... And for whatever reason, Vinnie's turn starts before Stanely's...

I'm guessing the plus side to having the forces split up into two alliance is that you get to move at two different times... however, i imagine the downside to be that you can't include non-allied forces in your own forces... so effectively, 3 of the coalition sides will fight Stanely and Parson will not need to worry about them...
    Last edited by slayerx; 2008-04-10 at 05:21 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

If Vinnie is a vampire - which is strongly hinted at if not outright stated - Vampires are traditionally associated with "the night". Given no one has a turn at night, presumably the logic is that his turn is before the "classic evil" sides turn - ie the tool and Parson. Makes sense to me!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm going to guess the Don King is the title of the ruler of the Transylvito faction. Seems fairly consistent with the "Little Italy maffia ring" theme the vampires have, ask Vinnie. We know Vinnie himself is not a royal, just a noble, so he is not the leader of Transylvito.

And Ansom is showing he can play with the rules, too. Breaking an alliance and joining a new one so as to have two consecutive turns? That's neat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Standing in Sandra(end scene) costume and saying "you're the one that I want" - priceless!

Now someone need to say "better shape up"

...Idless
    Former Public Relations Manager of the Miko Fan Club!

Why does it seem like 40% of all GMs have the sig indicating they are a part of the 22% that didn't start their first campaign in a tavern?

Fav Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

#1: The leperchaun costume... not so much"
    #2: :shojo: Good Gods, they teach you how to Detect Evil, but not sarcasm??
    #3: Oh, that always struck me as plan A"

To the fans out there: Keep Flying

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piercer View Post
    If Vinnie is a vampire - which is strongly hinted at if not outright stated - Vampires are traditionally associated with "the night". Given no one has a turn at night, presumably the logic is that his turn is before the "classic evil" sides turn - ie the tool and Parson. Makes sense to me!
    He's a "reverse vampire". See here for his sleeping arrangements at night...

Heh. "Titanic mandate".

Fitting in more ways than one.
    Last edited by los olvidados; 2008-04-10 at 05:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Panel 2:

Isn't it interesting that, after all his sensible comments, Vinnie is the one who doesn't have his feet on the ground.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimus View Post
    How do alliances work?
    Charlie was ordered to break the alliance.
    So, technically, not joining another alliance might not count as treason.

Mr. King, may I have a donut ?

My bet: Stanley will prevail over the Coalition Air Forces.
    Might happen, with no other villain in sight

At least, Stanley finally is going to get some trouble :)
    and Parson now 'only' has to face forces on & below the ground ...
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

With all his air units off chasing Stanley, Ansom just made the siege of GK much more difficult though. Unless he intends to wait until they get back (two turns or more?), which would give Parson more time to prepare the defenses. It's never a good idea to give someone on the defense time to get more ready...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

So... Ansom is sufficiently irritated to snap at Vinny, and now Vinny isn't going to be there to influence him. This ought to be interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    Charlie was ordered to break the alliance.
    So, technically, not joining another alliance might not count as treason.
    Hmmm... if this creates a window of opportunity for Charlie to switch sides, and he did so, that could leave the strike force too weak to go after Stanley.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    I'm not sure what just happened, but it can't be good for Ansom to be dispatching his air forces along with Vinny and Jillian right before he makes his ground assault, now alone against Parson...
    Don't forget Stanleys dwagons are the only GK air units, so it effectively evens out. Unless Sizemore can summon up, i dunno, flying crap golems?

Gigantic flying suicide crap golems... now THERE'S a thought...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

confused Re: 103 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 93

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Hmmm... if this creates a window of opportunity for Charlie to switch sides, and he did so, that could leave the strike force too weak to go after Stanley.
    Less likely, Ansom said that charlie and Don King(where's Tyson??) agreed with the plan. Looks like Asnom paid for more troops from charlie.

I think Charlie's word is worth the price..it'll not cross Ansom(well he's doing a heavy investment on charlescomm)

I'd like to see the dance-fighting thingie like SOON!

Ansom sent his strongest and his smarter warlords after Stanley. Time to do some reckless decisions based on that thinkagram.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Oh Hell yes. Parson is getting what he needs.

#1: Ansom has divided his army, and removed at least two factions from it: Charlescomm and Transylvito. Thus what he has to face is now significantly less.

#2: No Vito. No Jullian. No Angels. Those are some major heavy hitters.

#3: Ansom is seriously pissed. Anger is just a powerful and ally as it is an enemy.

#4: What Parson knows about Ansom, is far more than what Ansom knows about Parson. Know your enemy.

Now if only Stanley doesn't get croaked and/or comeback to screw with Parson during the battle, Ansom might just get his ass handed to him.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

It appears Jetstone hates Stanley with a passion, as we all know, but is content to let others lead the task force to kill him. Jetstone is angry enough to do something stupid but rational enough to not do something really stupid.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

...so, basically, parson has broken the coalition?

....like he intended to?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ok, let me see if I understood exactly what happened.

1. Jillian and crew are going to get Stanley. With the force they've got, they stand a very good chance of actually getting him, in my opnion, unless Stanley figures out the Foolamancer's name.

2. Ansom is staying with the ground troops, and is acting as bait to keep them thinking that he's still going to attack Gobwin Knob, as Ansom assumes that Parson is loyal to Stanley.

And here's what I think it MEANS.

Ansom is bait, and not in a great position. It's possible that he could get killed going through with the feint. He knows that if he gets Stanley, then it's game over. It'll be interesting to see what happens...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Such a feint would certainly be in Ansoms character. As would charging the tunnel network singlehandedly to get to Parson (who REALLY got Ansoms goat!). BTW, any theories on why Vinnie hates Stanley so? He isn't very concerned about the Nobility/rabble thing. Did we at some point get a hint about his motivation? Or do sides automatically want to see each other croaked when at war?
    Last edited by Stallogarro; 2008-04-10 at 07:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

This comic is simply amazing at keep the pop culture references very smooth and very funny.

Don King :) That's gotta be literally the best name for the ruler of Transylvito right?
    'Old fool!' he said. 'Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!' And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, lots of complicated stuff happening in this comic. Let me see if I am getting this straight:

- Ansom is sending out the fliers to take out Stanley before his turn starts. If Stanley gets croaked then all of Gobwin Knob’s forces will be disbanded as they will no longer have an overlord. Therefore all of Parsons secret plans could come to nothing as he could lose the war before his turn even starts.

- Jillian’s mercenaries and Charlescom will be breaking their alliance with Jetstone and allying with Transylvito in order to move first. Yet instead of Vinnie being the one in charge of the operation Ansom appoints Jillian. Maybe another cause for friction between them? Especially as Vinnie has never fully trusted Jillian.

- Now that Charlies forces are no longer under Ansom’s direct command could they use this as an excuse to take up Parson’s offer?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Hehe Parson surely did make Ansom royally pissed.

I'm surpriced that one could switch alliance to get the next turn earlier. Neat twist!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

Vinny and the Archon are clearly surprised by Ansom's sudden change of plans, something which doesn't seem to be the original plan at all according to Vinny's reaction. Ansom snapping definetely got him to doing stupid things.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

What I really want to know is, what are the "additional Charlescomm forces". More archons, or potentially another type of unit altogether?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Another great page. Every occasion Vinnie gets decent "screen time" pushes him further up on my list of all-time favorite webcomic characters.

I think splitting the forces is Ansom's only real choice if he wants to get Stanley. He's probably done the math based on *what he knows* and figures he can take GK without his air forces. He's walking into a trap, but without Lookamancy he has to make his decisions based on the info he has and how he interprets it. And because he believes Tool Stanley to be a...umm...tool, he is going to assume Parson is as well and is probably not expecting a trap.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

serious boop-up on Ansom's part here, he just sent all his brains to hunt stanley. now, all the brains are on the GK defense... which lets parson show off more.