New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faerun and Back

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Faerun and Back

It is the day after Shieldmeet, 1372 DR, early morning in the vast and rough metropolis known as Baldur's Gate. You all were in the same inn last night, and before anyone has a chance to leave, those walking downstairs meet a member of the city guard, his breath ragged from behind his black mask. He begins going from one man or woman to the next, relaying the same message:

"Grand Duke Kerva is conscripting mercenaries, hiring adventurers, and finding loyal soldiers to partake in a sensitive mission for the good of Baldur's Gate! The Duke pays handsomely, and promises a lordship for those who succeed in the mission!"

Few of the bar patrons seem interested, but that may be because common townsfolk are not the best makings for adventurers.
    I thought of a thought thinking about the thoughts thunk by thinkers. I thought the thought was thunk but I think I thought otherwise.

2. - Top - End - #2

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Faerun and Back

Seeby will ask "What kind of sensitive mission and does it involve goblins?"
    He will cut the guard off as he is answering and tells him to lead the way to the duke as Seeby picks up his spear.
    Last edited by evil-frosty; 2009-01-07 at 08:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Teipdek

Sitting at the bar is a rather burly looking Dwarf with a pair of greatswords strapped across his back. His armor and spiked helmet all bear the marks of expert Dwarven craftsmanship and bear the emblem of clan Ironfist. His beard is braided long and banded with gold. He has a large tankard of ale in front of him which he takes long, deep droughts from. Though he is sitting at a bar and putting down his fair share of alcohol, he fulfills none of the drunken stereotypes befitting the dwarves. When the messenger issues his offer, the Dwarf downs the rest of his tankard and tosses several gold pieces onto the bar, more than paying for his ale and leaving a hefty tip. He deftly dismounts his bar stool and nods to the man who has just spoken to him.

"Lead on."

OOG: Are we reserving text colors? If so, I call blue

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Minoot awoke at the bar to the sound of a commotion. Attracted by the noise he wanders over just in time to catch, "...the Duke pays handsomely, and promises a lordship for those who succeed in the mission!" Memories crashed through Minoot's mind as he was reminded of his great shame and exile from the clan that he was raised in. Certainly a Lordship would prove my worthiness to my clan? I'd be able to return to them with open arms... thought Minoot. Before he knew it he was already trying to remember what he ate for breakfast and was following the few adventurers who had accepted Grand Duke Kerva's mission in hopes they would lead him to more food.
    Last edited by Hiffic; 2009-01-08 at 02:43 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Having travelled to the big city specifically in search for something like this, Seraphina is naturally quite interested in the request relayed by the guard. The promise of a generous reward is less interesting to her than the prospect of great adventure. She fetches Rufus, her wolf companion (who has been at his best behavior, able to pass as a large pet dog) and joins the growing party following the guard.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lilith

Arrives back at the Inn shortly before the masked guard from an early morning casing of some of the more opulent homes in the city and is mid-breakfast.
    Lilith stands and begins approaching the Guard doing some quick math...
    Lordship = Immunity from Prosecution + Social Acceptance
    Duke Pays Well = No more need to risk bodily harm to get by
    Pay + Lord =

Lilith moves with such grace and silence as a ghost, and quietly asks the Guard.
    Where do I sign up?
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

7. - Top - End - #7

Griffon

The soldier leads those interested across town. For a brief minute, you think you might being Pied-Piper'ed, but he leads you to the Noble's district, to a grand mansion. He then lets you inside after a brief talk with a butler. The guard then leaves and the butler lets you into a grand lounge, allowing you to relax a moment and get to know one another.
    I thought of a thought thinking about the thoughts thunk by thinkers. I thought the thought was thunk but I think I thought otherwise.

8. - Top - End - #8

GnomeWizardGuy

Seeby will introduce himself by saying

"Hiya everyone I am Seeby. I hate goblins with a passion and I like shiny things. How bout all of you guys?

A little time after Seeby introduces himself he will start humming an old gnome song. While he is doing this he will make sure his mohawk is neatly groomed.
    Last edited by evil-frosty; 2009-01-10 at 01:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Seraphina eyes her prospective associates with curiosity. Two gnomes, a dwarf, and a tiefling? This is going to be interesting. She replies with a smile,

"I'm Seraphina Underbough, druid extraordinaire. And this here -" she gently ruffles her lupine companion's neck fur - "is Rufus, my best friend in this world or any other."

10. - Top - End - #10

GnomePirate

Minoot squints at the other adventurers around him, giving Seeby a wide smile.

He lazily turns to Seraphina, "A druid, eh? Living in the wild and all that? A pup like that must come in real handy out there...there's very good eating on one of those..."

Minoot then promptly falls asleep because there's no other comfort like the comfort of someone else's couch. Thankfully he still has on his AARG (Advanced Association of Retired(somewhat) Gnomes) name tag, but it's upside down.
    Last edited by Hiffic; 2009-01-10 at 12:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Griffon

The butler returns briefly with a half dozen glasses of appropriately sized booze. "The Lord shall be in shortly." he murmurs, and hands out the liquor. He then sets the polished silver serving tray onto the table and waits by the door.

12. - Top - End - #12

GnomeWizardGuy

Seeby will immediately down his glass. And ask for a refill.
    He will drink the second glass more slowly. He will also attempt at small talk with everyone else.

13. - Top - End - #13

Lilith

Lilith accompanies the rest of the group to the home of the Grand Duke.

A small smirk sweeps across her face at Seeby's statement as she recalls her time spent living with his kind.

Shiny things... heh gnomes...

Lilith sticks close to the two Gnomes them being from the first race to accep her.

[gnome] I'm Lilith. [/gnome]

Lilith does not say much else to any of the others nor does she partake in any of the refreshments...
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Teipdek Ironfist

The stout dwarf takes a glass and bows politely to the butler. "Thank ye kindly" he says, his voice deep and rumbly. Turning to his new companions, he bows again, careful not to spill his drink.

"Teipdek of clan Ironfist at your service." He lets the giant sword strapped to his back indicate his position within the group.

When Seeby mentions a hatred of Goblins, Teipdek raises his glass as if to toast. "Aye"
    Last edited by King Tius; 2009-01-10 at 09:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Davhid enters the room, noticing the others in a makeshift circle, each of the group sitting on chairs or standing as befits them. Davhid glances quickly over the group, making a mental note of who would - or would not - be useful when things came to push and shove. Davhid was a member of the Luskan runners.

Assuredly, his 'qualifications' had gotten him accepted for an audience in Baldur's Gate. But, sooner or later he'd have to return to Luskan, where he was almost assuredly declared dead. And, being 'dead' means he wasn't getting paid to be down in Baldur's Gate. So, Davhid had to make - and find - money where he could get it. And this 'job' sounded the thing he'd been trained for.

Davhid gently closes the door behind him. "Hello everyone. You can call me Davhid. What'd I miss? Anything good?"
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Seraphina glances up at the human. "Wow. Quite a menagerie we have now, isn't it? I'm Seraphina." Turning to the rest of the group, she asks, "So what do you all do? From your funny dresses," - she looks to the two gnomes - "I'd guess that you're wizards or something like that, correct? And what about you, miss Lilith?"

17. - Top - End - #17

Lilith

When Davhid enters the room Lilith becomes noticably anxious, though she still stands at least a head height over him.

I suppose I like shiny things aswell... Though I suppose I like them for a slightly different reason than Seeby Glancing across to the Gnome.

Lilith begins walking uncomfortably around the room.
    I find that any one whom subscribes to stereotypes usually exemplifies them, or at least perpetuates them. However, stereotypes are made for a reason. I've had to learn to do things that I'm not particurlarly proud of, primarily because of those stereotypes. I'm a teifling neither of my parents are aware of any demons in there lineage, but the majority of HUMANS believe me to be half-demon, my father blames my mother she blames my father, my understanding is that both had to have demons in their bloodline for me to be as I am. Humans, have always treated me as untrustworthy and therefor would not employ me for any thing. I've had to learn to take what I need to survive, I have and I've thrived. I've never, um, been very good with blades, but it very rarely come to that.

As Lilith is uncomfortably pacing the room she is browsing the items in the room looking for something /anything interesting

18. - Top - End - #18

GnomeWizardGuy

Seeby

"Hello Dahvid, I am Seeby. Lilith who cares if you have some demon blood that doesn't make who you are. What you do to make a difference in the world is who you are. Now personally I could care less if you were a demon or not as long as u don't like goblins you are OK in my book..... Now I am starting to wonder where the duke is, usually if you want someone to do something for you, you don't keep them waiting." As Seeby is saying that he will look around at any novelties the duke may have in this room. And take in the different looks and personalities of his companions here.

19. - Top - End - #19

Griffon

Eventually, the butler opens the door, saying rather dryly, "May I present to you, Lord Sippidetous Kerva."

An older human walks in with incredibly fine bloodred robes on, laced with gold thread in intricate patterns and sigils. He has pale blue eyes and a shock of gray through his dark brown hair. He walks with his hands folded against his chest, and has a small smile on his face. "My my, we have quite a group here today." He looks at each and every one of you, quickly, yet focused. "I will be brief, because I am sure you are all eager to hear about the compensation. To put it simply, I am working on a project for Baldur's Gate that can help ensure our military significance in the Sword Coast and the safety for thousands. I have hired top engineers, mostly Gnommish," he says with a sweep of his hand to the two gnomes in the party, "to create a vehicle capable of flight without the use of a wizard or sorcerer's magic."

He looks proud for a moment, then perturbed. "Yet, we are not finished. We require a few key components my Gnomes tell me, and I need a group of hardy warriors to fetch them. I will pay 3,000 gold each for every piece of equipment you find and return for me, and then a lordship when the my 'airship' is completed. The first mineral I require is four pounds of orachilium, a superconductive crystal found in the mines of Cormyr. Our first party has not come back yet, I fear they have taken my money and fled."

He smiles again, "No matter, you look like an honest bunch. I will give you 2,000 additional in travel expenses, and if you bring me the last party back here for justice, I will promise 1,000 gold per man alive, and 100 dead. Do we have an accord fellows?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Seraphina listens to the duke's words, looking pensive. She lets him finish, then asks,

"Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I don't keep up with politics... but why don't you just buy this orachilium?"

21. - Top - End - #21

GnomeWizardGuy

Seeby

"Absolutely nothin speaks better then good shiny gold. A few questions first off though. Exactly where in Cormyr are these mines? Also will Cormyr be ok with us just going in and taking some of this crystal? Last thing what kind of dangers should we expect? Good question Seraphina, why don't you just buy it?"

After some thought Seeby will say "If we return the last party and return them instead of gold can we use this airship free of charge whenever we want?"
    Last edited by evil-frosty; 2009-01-11 at 05:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Griffon

"I am unable to buy the orachilium because first it is very rare. Cormyr has strict laws on the exporting of this mineral, and I cannot trade with them. You six, however, would be independent of the city of Baldur's Gate, so you can acquire it.

The Stormhorns would be your best chance for finding the minerals. And as for anyone you may meet, Cormyr is nicknamed 'The Land of the Dragons', so expect heavy draconic influence there, both metallic and chromatic. I know not of what lives in the mountain ranges, I haven't been that far east in well over thirty years..."

23. - Top - End - #23

GnomeWizardGuy

Seeby

And will we be able to use the airship if we do this?

24. - Top - End - #24

Griffon

"Of Course..."

25. - Top - End - #25

GnomePirate

Minoot asks, "If Cormyr has such strict laws against the exporting of orachilium, won't they have a problem with us taking some back to you? We're not exactly the most inconspicuous group."
    Last edited by Hiffic; 2009-01-11 at 08:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Griffon

"Its not that, Cormyr has had an embargo with Baldur's Gate for generations. You are not technically citizens of Baldur's Gate."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Davhid narrows his eyes at this 'duke'. Trying to find loopholes and second-meanings in the laws that are meant to keep people like him in check. Orachilium was obviously a powerful material, especially if the Gate had banned it's use. In the hands of a capable mage, the 'superconductive' material could be a credible threat to the safety of the realms.
    Shar's teet. The man wants to build an airship with it. Of course it's dangerous.

"So, let me understand something; You want us to perform an illegal operation and gain possession of this material. As you said yourself, it is not legal to trade with Baldur's Gate...However, you are just making us the middle man. While they are not exporting it, we are. Isn't that just as illegal? Not only that, but, you're granting us a Lordship for this misdeed?
    Forgive me sir, but I think the populace's idea that the government in the Gate might be corrupt might not be that far off."
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #28

Lilith

[ooc]Please feel free to insert a long winded discussion on how hypocritical it is of seeby to hate all goblins and not judge Lilith between post 18 and 19 that apparently did not take[/ooc]

I am completely unconcerned with this political junk... What does concern me is the fact that the other group did not return. That simple fact leads me to believe that this mission is more dangerous than is initially obvious. I'm thinking that it might require a little more than 3000gp to get me to sign up for this. As for this bounty your placing on the heads of the previous group, we'll obviously need some more information.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Teipdek

The stout dwarf takes another swig of his drink and stares at it as he swirls the glass.

"This sounds easy enough, though the pay may be a little too good. Not that I be complainin'. What's the fastest route to Cormyr? We should leave soon before I change my mind."
    Last edited by King Tius; 2009-01-12 at 11:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomeWizardGuy

Seeby

[ooc] goblins aren't demons and i just hate goblins spefically for killing my village and family. Plus i am chaotic i can be hypocritical[ooc]

Well I'm in.