New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Angry ranting itp

Similar to the dead unreasonable ranting thread, except I'M ANGRY!!!!
    MY LAB PARTNERS SHOULD HAVE THEIR HEADS EXPLODED!!!!!
    We were doing an enzyme lab this evening.
    We put catalysts and such in test tubes, and 20 minutes later we put them in the spectrophotometer and it tells us something.
    First time we tried, the spectrophotometer fails to work, we ask the professor, she looks at it and says "Well did you set it to 100%? You should do that!" and walks away. Then we try that, but it starts beeping and blinking angrily again.
    We decide that it has been too long, our test tubes have been sitting around for too much time and we should start over again. Using a different spectrophotometer. We prepare the tubes and wait for 20 minutes.
    We actually wait for 14 minutes and 17 seconds.
    My lab partner decided to begin cleaning up. Starting with the test tube rack. SHE TOOK OUR PREPARED TEST TUBES AND WASHED THEM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The rest of the class was long gone by this time. The professor looks back at us after hearing me exclaiming about it and says "Look guys, you're clearly idiots, just use someone else's numbers."

...GAH! DEATH BY FIRE!
    Preferably in a science lab. After saying "Hey y'all, watch this!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Angry ranting itp

I...
    I really don't know how to answer to this...
    Spoiler
    Show
    A-44 A.K.A. The Angel of Retribution A.K.A. The Angel of Revenge A.K.A Angel of Death

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

See, this is the reason why I just tell my lab partners to go do something else while I go do all the work. Frankly, I don't care if they see my answers since about 40% of the people in my class won't pass anyway.

"Accidently" get some "acid"(*cough* water *cough*) And tell them to run into the chemical shower. The one that "someone" put a dye in.
    Last edited by BizzaroStormy; 2008-09-23 at 08:20 PM.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's what you do. Next time you do a lab, have red shirts ready for any idiots that may be working with you. This way, something is bound to go wrong and kill them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Your prof called you all idiots? And told you to copy someone else?? Is it too late to transfer classes?
    Johann Krauss by Recaiden
    Spoiler
    Show
    morbidwombat (9:40:07 PM): I am not a sandwich, nor a mode of transport!
    blackomen341 (9:40:18 PM): Then what are you?!?!
    morbidwombat (9:40:35 PM): I...I have no idea.
    morbidwombat (9:40:45 PM): <.<
    morbidwombat (9:40:49 PM): >.>
    morbidwombat (9:40:58 PM): *Has existential dilemma*

Not-Edible itP!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by morbidwombat View Post
    Your prof called you all idiots? And told you to copy someone else?? Is it too late to transfer classes?
    "Miss Hoover? My worm fell in my mouth and then I ate it. Can I have a new one?"
    "There are no more, Ralph. Just put your head down and try to sleep."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. But her lectures are really fascinating. She was just frustrated, this was a really easy lab that my airheaded lab partners kept screwing up.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I'da killed 'em.
    But I am the very model of a modern major general!
    Multiple expressions of gratitude to Elrond for the avatar.

I'd run for Apathetic in the Playground, but it sounds like a lot of effort.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Heh.

I'm like one of those idiot lab partners you have. Except I usually let someone else do the work.

But this is UV Spectrophotometry, right? It should usually be easy to do.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

That's the problem with working in groups on labs. The group is never all at the same competence level, and one person ends up doing all the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    That's the problem with working in groups on labs. The group is never all at the same competence level, and one person ends up doing all the work.
    Teachers always seemed to believe that pairing up the good students with the bad students somehow encouraged the bad students to be like the good students. This is all a load of crap.

If the bad students were paired up with each other, they'd both know they had to work. If the good students were paired up with each other, they'd both work because that's what they do. But people fail to realize this.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not a problem limited to lab partners.

It took me 3 years to get my college schedule finagled to where I could fit in the classical mythology course (just because I enjoy the subject matter) and even then it was in a summer session. It was awesome. The TA was funny and obviously loved the subject matter and the summer format was 90-minute classes 5 days a week due to the shortened schedule, which was fine by me as I got to talk mythology every day. I swear I was the only one in the class that actually read the Argonautica, and several classes were essentially just conversations between the two of us, but I digress.

The problem was that as this was a low-level course that filled a gen-ed requirement, many people just took it for the "easy" grade. The weekly group assignments quickly devolved into me writing something up at the last minute to email to the TA just because the others who were supposed to email the group when they were done never did (and on several occasions this saved my ass as the reason they didn't send anything was because they had forgotten about the assignment in the first place ). Eventually he just made me exempt from the group assignments because he recognized that I was the only one pulling my weight, and I'd done my share of the work for the course by then. Fun class overall, but I've never been happy with situations where my grade was dependent on the work of others.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PirateJesus View Post
    See, this is the reason why I just tell my lab partners to go do something else while I go do all the work. Frankly, I don't care if they see my answers since about 40% of the people in my class won't pass anyway.
    My advice exactly. Is it possible to get better lab parteners or are these people your friends as well?
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    I agree with you here, and I'll extend it to just any group work. Maybe I've had bad experiences, but most of the time it's one or two people who are really into it and actually make it go forward, and everyone else is just there...

Also, Mauve *hugs*. That's a frustrating thing to happen. I bet it wasn't it on purpose, but it was a silly thing to do.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I had a cool teacher for my second Organic Chem lab. He saw that my partner and I consistently got the best results in the class, and further observation convinced him that it was entirely my doing. So he gave me an A, even without doing the pre-lab, notebook, and post-lab writeups that he required of everyone else in the class. I think the defining moment of the whole course was the day we were purifying some kind of salt, and I was finishing up about 20 minutes after everyone else had left. He took my sample as I turned it in and held up something that one of the other groups had done, and commented that mine was not only obviously higher in purity, but my pure sample had a higher total yield, even considering the large quantities of water and other impurities in the other.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

16. - Top - End - #16

Ugh.

Reminds me of various pieces of degree level business group work.

The main one is when I was put in a group with 'the lads'. They ended up finishing their bits while the other presentations went on. But we got it in on time, and did our presentation. They were able to bluff through it, and we ended up with the highest score in the class. Until, of course, the moderators decided AFTER the marks were given to change the grading system from presentation to a printout of the sheets. The groups lack of links and references (only ones there were mine) meant we dropped to the lowest score in the class.

The other group included all sorts of drama between two people I won't even get into, including a person who showed up to less than 4% of our mandatory meetings.

I. HATE. GROUP WORK!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

17. - Top - End - #17

Not for the feint of heart!

Spoiler
    Show
    It could have been MUCH worse. Gruesome and grotesque as it may be, my friend was in med school and taking Gross Anatomy. Another group apparently felt that they should define the "gross" part and decided to use the large intestines of their cadaver as a jump rope. It burst, spraying the three guilty idiots with...well, I need not go into THAT detail.

Due to the disrespect they showed the cadaver, all parties involved were expelled from med school, with a big ole note in red letters on their files explaining why. I doubt they were permitted to become janitors in any hospital.
    "Goodnight, Rosebud."

Thanks to Lord Herman for the avatar!

Those who wish access to my blog should reach out to me on FB.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    It could have been MUCH worse. Gruesome and grotesque as it may be, my friend was in med school and taking Gross Anatomy. Another group apparently felt that they should define the "gross" part and decided to use the large intestines of their cadaver as a jump rope. It burst, spraying the three guilty idiots with...well, I need not go into THAT detail.

Due to the disrespect they showed the cadaver, all parties involved were expelled from med school, with a big ole note in red letters on their files explaining why. I doubt they were permitted to become janitors in any hospital.
    Christ. That is disgusting and STUPID. What the hell were they thinking?!
    What the hell are any of these people thinking?!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Ive said it before and ill say it again, i think most of the human population of the world does not accually think nor has half the brain to think with ;P
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post

Spoiler
    Show

And I thought the kid who kept intentionally unbalancing the centrifuge was bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

My pet peeve is actually not group work any more, freebooters are a part of life. MY pet peeve is airhead teachers. my school district has a "reassessment" program, where people can retry assignments they fail. it's good stuff, because it means that if You have a bad day on test day, it isn't "sorry, you fail." on the other hand, it gives people the oppurtunity to say: "I cant enforce deadlines because I have to give reassessments!" meaning that there are people who sat around and picked their nose all semester who passed that art class. I had these kids next to me who spent the part of the class where the teacher was telling them what to do jabbering in spanish, and then tell me to give them the instructions, and that I had to "be nice" to them because I "stole Mexico" those people did not turn in one single assignment. they passed the class. That teacher also expected us to feel sorry for her because she was "coughing up blood" over us. please. you mock those of us who do our work at every oppurtunity and expect us to feel sorry for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    My pet peeve is actually not group work any more, freebooters are a part of life. MY pet peeve is airhead teachers. my school district has a "reassessment" program, where people can retry assignments they fail. it's good stuff, because it means that if You have a bad day on test day, it isn't "sorry, you fail." on the other hand, it gives people the oppurtunity to say: "I cant enforce deadlines because I have to give reassessments!" meaning that there are people who sat around and picked their nose all semester who passed that art class. I had these kids next to me who spent the part of the class where the teacher was telling them what to do jabbering in spanish, and then tell me to give them the instructions, and that I had to "be nice" to them because I "stole Mexico" those people did not turn in one single assignment. they passed the class. That teacher also expected us to feel sorry for her because she was "coughing up blood" over us. please. you mock those of us who do our work at every oppurtunity and expect us to feel sorry for you?
    Hm, I see a part of your post that could be considered offensive. I recommend that you either clarify or edit, because it sounds discriminatory.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I don't see anything offensive there, but that could be because I'm utterly callous.

On the jump rope thing, I'm pretty sure the large intestine isn't long enough for that. Maybe they were using the small one?

Something from high school that really annoyed me. In my junior AP English class, everyone had to pick an American author and do a presentation in class. The teacher gave us the guidelines, including a mention that "visual aids are optional." Well, I did my presentation (on Edgar Allen Poe) and brought in a nice, leatherbound tome that my parents had containing a huge selection of his works. I finished up with a reading of The Raven that left the class shivering. When the grades were passed out, I learned that visual aids were optional in the same sense that getting an A, or even a B, was optional, and the tome that I had brought in and displayed for the class (showing them all the lovely portraits and illustrations) didn't meet her qualifications as a visual aid. This project was more than half of the total grade for the semester. Ok, perhaps "annoyed" isn't strong enough a word.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooo, how I hate "optional" things that aren't.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    I don't see anything offensive there, but that could be because I'm utterly callous.

On the jump rope thing, I'm pretty sure the large intestine isn't long enough for that. Maybe they were using the small one?

Something from high school that really annoyed me. In my junior AP English class, everyone had to pick an American author and do a presentation in class. The teacher gave us the guidelines, including a mention that "visual aids are optional." Well, I did my presentation (on Edgar Allen Poe) and brought in a nice, leatherbound tome that my parents had containing a huge selection of his works. I finished up with a reading of The Raven that left the class shivering. When the grades were passed out, I learned that visual aids were optional in the same sense that getting an A, or even a B, was optional, and the tome that I had brought in and displayed for the class (showing them all the lovely portraits and illustrations) didn't meet her qualifications as a visual aid. This project was more than half of the total grade for the semester. Ok, perhaps "annoyed" isn't strong enough a word.
    There are at least three things wrong with that grading scheme...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

The "idiots" comment was uncalled for but I understand the copying of other people's data. People mess up occasionally but still need data for the analysis section of the lab report. Making up the lab isn't always an option as college labs are 3-4 hours long. It is common for teachers to give out data to these people while deducting from the overall lab grade.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

One of my lab partners decided to use about three times the heat our teacher told us to... "Why is this turning black"?

Shoulda hit him in the face.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

We can also rant here, yeah?
    Because, some stupid idiot didn't plan the schedule out right for the grocery section of Target that I work in.
    Today is supposed to be my day off, but, if they hadn't called me and woken me up, there wouldn't have been anyone in grocery til four thirty this afternoon.
    ...OMG, I should have said no when they asked if I could come in today.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

...OMG, I should have said no when they asked if I could come in today.
    It wouldn't be very nice, but then again, you don't have a problem committing evil acts, right?
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-09-25 at 08:51 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno. Going in to work extra hours to bail out some idiot that can't figure out how to work a calendar seems like a good action to me.
    Spoiler
    Show