New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild: Bridgeport IC

Sandra looks at the crow well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?. She then slowly walks over to the giant owl What needs to be fixed? her sword still on her back and shield laid on top of it. The whole thing looks like she should fall backwards with that much metal on her back.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Will Zan have to smack a fanatic?

The cleric gritted his teeth... he had spoken practically a miniature speech without stuttering ONCE, and that man continued to bother him! He tried to make note that only one person was truly causing any problems, but any peaceful thoughts were knocked around by the staff.

Wincing from the mental turmoil, Zan closed his eyes and rested both hands on the staff, trying to relax his muscles (and avoid spasms). In a bid to win over with the staff, he tried communicating with it mentally. If it could implant thoughts into his mind, maybe it could read his?

If you can hear this... perhaps a display of your grandeur would shut him up best? Hurting him will do nothing... it will make others recoil, rather than bend in awe. Can you grow a portion of the tree, for instance? Just a little... enough to make a display that you, indeed, are the source of the magnificent creation we are on. His shoulder twitched involuntarily as he wordlessly wondered just what would become of trying to talk to a staff.
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

Young Mss Tailor stares at the stuck door for a moment.
    "Well, thats not exactly fun." she grumbles. "Theres a trapdoor on the roof thats usually locked, could you stay down here for a bit while I check to see if thats an entry point? I'll open the door from the other end if everything is safe, if not - well, I'll scream or something."
    she suggests to Fin as she makes her way to the roof.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shiela is probably used to climbing in and out through the roof. Do you want any checks made?
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Shiela and Fin at her dad's house on Weaver Street

At the Tailors' shop:

Shiela climbs on to the roof easily and silently. Something she's had a lot of practice doing. Everything seems untouched up on the roof. She tries the trapdoor quietly but is not surprised to find it bolted as usual from the inside. There is a window in a junk room where the shutters never lock properly on the back of the house. Shiela used to often used this route to sneak back into the house at night. Access to the window is by hanging down from the roof. Of course she usually wasn't wearing full battle gear when she snuck in as a kid.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move silently check please - include your Armor check penalty if you are wearing it still. Might want to anticipate ourselves with a Hide and Listen check too.

Fin takes ten on move silently = 17.
    Fin listening at door - (1d20+2)[7], includes -5 through door penalty.

5. - Top - End - #215

Default Zan struggling with his conscience

At the Tree with small crowd of Tree cultists:

Zan has an idea to use the fear aspect of the staff to send out an illusion of plants and roots and stuff shooting up, growing and grabbing the crowd and strangling them to death hahaha! And over it a sense of a brooding powerful tree with roots sent out in all directions and lightning in the air.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela Tailor

The fighter closes her eyes for a quick second and lets out a long, quiet sigh, quietly sheathing her blade and placing her stiletto between her teeth, she spreads he arms and sneaks as quietly as she can over to the edge of the roof and makes for the window, hanging down and doing her best to quietly slip inside the junk room, muscle memory taking her through most of the motions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Scale penalty is -4, Dex Bonus is +2. Shiela does have her shield, but it isn't equipped. Taking the shield into account would incur an addiional -1 penalty not account for in these rolls. Total modifier for this untrained skill is -2.
    MoveSilently - (1d20-2)[17]
    Hide - (1d20-2)[4]
    Listen - (1d20+1)[6]
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

7. - Top - End - #217

At the Tailers' shop:

Shiela creeps into the spare room quietly. Moving towards the front door to let Fin in she comes to the main shop area and sees.... a group of people sleeping on the floor. One woman and five children of mixed ages, the youngest about three years old. Some bolts of cloth have been strewn on the floor of the shop as a sort of bedding (there is a proper bedroom which Shiela passed on the way to the front door). Its hard to see more details as the shop is pretty dark. A little moonlight comes through the closed shutters.

8. - Top - End - #218

Default You are not agreeable, Mr. Staff.

Zan clenched his teeth, trying to further any communications as he continued his struggle.

That is not a sense of awe, that is a sense of terror! But I agree on one thing.... It would make an impact on these naysayers, and once that impact is made, then Dravick and I could search for the others. You know what? You win... for now.

Zan opened his eyes and grinned to the crowd, raising the staff towards them in order to use the fear ability. Speaking one of the words that was on the tip of his tongue this entire time, Zan tried to craft the mental illusion of the tree sprawling outwards in a threatening manner to the cultists, but trying not to have it strangle them... not yet.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

The fighter takes the stiletto from her mouth.
    "I should have thought of that." Shiela mutters in a voice pitched only for her to hear as she lets her eyes dance over the woman and children strewn across the floor.
    She motions for Fin to remain quiet, and points at him, and then the hinge side of the door, as she ghost up to it herself and tests the handle.[hr]

Assuming it is unlocked, she flattens herself against the wall on the handle-side of the door, and gently pushes it open, holding the blade in her right handle, poised to strike at a threat.
    It should be noted that she is now much more relaxed, still expecting trouble, but no longer looking for it.

Assuming this goes down without incident, she peeks inside to study the bedroom proper.
    [hr]
    A locked door will lead to Shiela instead ghosting towards the woman and attempting to gently shake her awake, pressing one finger to her lips in the universal "Stay quiet" signal and positioning her face above the woman's so that she'll see it upon waking.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

10. - Top - End - #220

At the tailors' shop:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm not quite clear about the description but basically you are letting Fin in through the front door and then checking out the bedroom?
    She motions for Fin to remain quiet, and points at him, and then the hinge side of the door, as she ghost up to it herself and tests the handle.

Assuming it is unlocked, she flattens herself against the wall on the handle-side of the door, and gently pushes it open, holding the blade in her right handle, poised to strike at a threat.

Shiela opens the front door for Fin who quietly steps in. Then she goes to check on the bedroom. Sure enough more people sleeping in there. This room is even darker and she stands for a few seconds to let her eyes adjust, but the night is never completely dark in this part of Bridgeport due to some street lights. It looks like another three older kids are sharing the one bed; teenage girls not that much younger than Shiela. There's no sign of anyone waking up.

[hr]
    Anti-Magic cell, bottom of Old Tower:

Berwin:
    Fine. Let's just beat the hell out of the padlock then.

Berwin takes a few whacks at the padlock with his pickaxe but doesn't do much more than scratch it.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-14 at 03:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

Shiela soft-steps over to Fin.
    "Whats Guard policy on refugees? These people wouldn't be sleeping here if they had some place to go." she whispers quickly and quietly, so as not to wake anyone.

After all, she had just snuck, armed into what was once a Tailor's shop. She would probably look like a theif if anyone awoke and would cause a panic.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

12. - Top - End - #222

At the tailors' shop:

Fin, whispering back:
    Have they taken anything? Any damage beyond the bust lock? Official policy is that a number of warehouses on Bank's Road have been made available for the use of refugees.

13. - Top - End - #223

At the Tree with small crowd of Tree cultists:

The crowds' loyalty seems set to sway again towards the outspoken hostile man. Dravick considers his next move. Zan raises the staff at the crowd and speaks the command word that releases the fear effect last used by the Hermit himself against the Badgers.

Zan tries to have in mind some less than terrifying illusion but judging by the break out of madness among the crowd, the staff has other ideas. Most of the crowd of about twenty, start running away while their arms flail at invisible attackers, shrieking warnings at each other. Five, including the fanatic nervously remain for a moment but seeing their firends deserting them quickly decide to take off after them. The long bearded man glares at Zan before running away last. Zan feels a sense of satisfaction edged with a little amused laughter.

[hr]
    Guild house, back garden, bird section:

Matthew comforts Fiona and pushes back at her feelings of calm and safety. He examines the Giant Owl with intense interest. A silent monster that can suddenly appear from nowhere -- a good choice for a Silent Image spell.

Sandra:
    What needs to be fixed?

The owl gives Sandra instructions on which straps it thinks require her attention. The voice seems a little imperious but it is hard to tell tone with birds. Perhaps the owl is just used to getting its way.

Big Owl:
    Thank you little human girl. That's been chafing for hours. I haven't worn the harness for a long time, but I had to come when I heard one of the Ancient Ones had turned up in the city of Zarif of all places!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra fixes the straps per the owl's request and then steps back Ancient ones? she looked confused as she tried to think about if she heard of them before then her eyes go wide One of them has been seen and she looked a little in awe

Spoiler
    Show

knowledge History - (1d20+2)[22]
    Apparently she knows them... OCC I need some info
    Last edited by Akyana; 2008-10-14 at 10:45 PM.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

15. - Top - End - #225

Default .... Um... terrific?

A smile could not be helped edging across Zan's face, but at the very least, he resisted laughing by putting the flask to his mouth and sipping from it.

"S-something tells me that wasn't... um... very nice of a move, would you agree?" He turned to Dravick with his eyes down, feeling a bit ashamed that he had given in to the staff's will.

He WAS satisfied, though.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

As Dravick prepares to humiliate the naysayer, he sees Zan raise the staff, and the crowd begins to run away. He is shocked for a few moments, and when Zan's voice finally echoes into Dravick's consciousness he can only shake his head dumbfoundedly.

What did he do? Zan has always been so timid. Well. Until he's provoked, there was the time outside of the weaver's guild. Seems like ages ago, but it was only a few weeks. Perhaps Zan is like a sleeping giant... best left unprovoked.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

"Bugger all," Althea swore. She stood up from trying to pry the surprisingly resilient lock off of the chest. She still had the same strength coursing through her, and could use a tool to open the chest a bit quicker then something as elegant as ripping the faceplate off. The barbarian picked up her sword from where it was, and without further delay simply smashed the padlock off in a single strike.

"There, open. Told you I could do it."

Spoiler
    Show

I assume this is all alright. And now we get to look at all the nice goodies inside!
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

18. - Top - End - #228

Eodrick readies his axe when the crowd begins dispersing, but does nothing else. His dog, a black Wolfhound, with a patch of white on it's face raises it's hackles and bares it's teeth. It does not growl, bark, or make any other aggresive movements.

Good. Stay ready, but don't attack yet Dolan.

Spoiler
    Show

ret-con on what kind of dog I wanted. Nothing major, I do intend to have a mastiff as well later.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

The red-head shoots an odd look at Fin.
    "Um, I'm human, too. I can't tell. Best we can do is the good thing, I guess and inform the leader we have someplace for them all. Woman in here looks like the best best. Stay here and out of sight in case they think I'm hostile."
    She whispers quickly before padding over to the woman sleeping in the main room.
    She places one hand over the woman's mouth, and gives her a quick shake.
    When the woman awakens, Shiela will quickly lean in and whisper in her ear.
    "Don't Scream. I'm Shiela Tailor, Adventurer's Guild. I want to talk to you. First things are first, are you in charge?"

Shiela doesn't remove her hand from the woman's mouth, but will allow enough of a head-movement for a nod or a quick shake.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-10-15 at 05:53 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

20. - Top - End - #230

The woman wakes up and tries to make a noise. She shakes her head.

21. - Top - End - #231

Default What's in the box?

Anti-Magic cell, bottom of the Old Tower, Bridgeport.

With the padlock broken the lid of the trunk opens up easily. The trunk itself is obviously made well to open so smoothly after some rough years. The first impression is of a trunk stuffed with clothes, weapons, climbing gear and smaller boxes and bags. On the top is a piece of parchment with a large flowing script:
    If found, please return to the Archmage Jerris of Zards c/o the gatekeeper. Lauden.
    REWARD.
    A cloak in subdued natural tones, two more colourful robes, a smart looking hat, a pair of gloves, a large backpack, a short sword, three daggers, a small metal shield, a good length of high quality rope and a climbing kit. All of the best quality. These are the larger items that are visible. You can see beneath there are various boxes and bags containing other items, a metal jug and a stack of books.

Inagu:
    Is that... a severed hand in there?

Spoiler
    Show

And in addition for those wanting to root around:
    • Box, long: many fluid filled small glass vials in neat felt-lined rows
    • Box, square: 40 pounds of platinum and gold coin
    • Box, ornate: artists' paints, brushes and some paper
    • Bag, small: six rubber balls 1" diameter, two mechanical metal "stars"
    • Bag, small: 4 hand mirrors and a piece of cloth
    • Bag, small: mixed jewelry (bracelets, rings, broaches, necklaces)
    • Bag, large: feathers
    • Box, small: set of about twenty plain brass rings
    • Box, long: two wands
    • Box, small: precious and semi-precious stones
    • Bag, large: miscellaneous magical components -- junk really
    • Bag, large: empty
    • Bag, small: empty
    • Loose: 4 scroll cases, a compass, a series of long metal tubes that screw The glass vials and the brass rings are labeled in Draconic.

Berwin is 5'6" btw.

Berwin:
    I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a look a closer look....

Berwin picks out the cloak and hold it up. It looks a little small for him.

[hr]

At The Tree:

Otto:
    Perhaps we should see what they are up to with the trunk?

With five adventurers and a dog in opposition to them, the scraggly crowd of cultists disperses. They don't appear to have done anything to the tree apart from turn its site into a small shrine filled with inexpertly crafted religious nick-nacks, small offering and votive candles here and there. Otto pulls towards heading up the Tree root to the Old Tower, tugging on his chain.

[hr]
    Adventurers' Guild, back yard:

Sandra:
    Ancient Ones?

Big Owl:
    Yes the Ancient One; the big Tree. I had a good look at it flying over just now. Bunch of people down there.

Jerris and the owl rider who had run into the guild house a minute ago come out into the garden. The owl rider gets back on his mount.

Jerris:
    "Try druid's grove and if he isn't there try the old palace... ah, the building over there with four minarets. You can't miss it."

He waves a hand vaguely West towards the river.

"Matthew! They aren't back yet with the trunk? I need to talk to you and the other arcanists. Balthazar... Otto... whatever his name is... and that girl with the pink hair; Kate. Anyone else like that?"

Matthew:
    Nobody else with pink hair sir. We had a guy with bright blue hair for a while. Not sure what happened to him....

22. - Top - End - #232

Eodrick

Hold on. I've heard rumors of the dead walking in this area, we should be careful. They should be more careful at that.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

23. - Top - End - #233

Marko

Marko picked up the smashed lock with a frown, but it quickly faded when the chest was opened. Seeing a compass lying atop the collection, he picked it up to examine it, but before doing so closely said, "We should probably get this back to the guild house, now that it's open."

24. - Top - End - #234

Default Why are you looking at me like that? Please... don't.

Once the crowd had been fully dispersed, Zan looked around nervously until he saw Dravick and Victor.

"L.... Let us try to ignore that. Um... I feel, k-kinda bad about this... do you think I did the right thing?" Slight quivering that began popping up all over his body would convey the information that he was truly disturbed by what he just did, gripping the staff tightly in both hands.

25. - Top - End - #235

Anti-Magic cell, bottom of Old Tower:

Inagu:
    This little box is stuffed full of pearls and jewels. You could buy a small town with the contents of this trunk. Our guild master is a rich man... and it says "Archmage" on the note.

Berwin:
    That reminds me. Jerris said to not fully close the lid of the trunk after we get it open, and above all -- he was very insistent on this -- above all under no circumstances should anyone touch that piece of parchment.

Berwin takes the rope in the trunk and arranges it so that a length of it hangs over the side of the trunk, thus preventing the lid from being closed fully by accident.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"Well, I don't know about right or wrong, but it was certainly effective." Dravick answered once he got his words back from the shock of Zan's actions. "Anyway, no that the crowd is gone we should head up to the tower and see how they are faring with the chest, it seems they've been up there for some time now."
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"I'm going to remove my hand. Don't scream, we want to avoid confrontation. If I wanted to take your valubles, I would have just killed everyone and rifled through their pockets later."
    Shiela whispers, removing her hand.

If the woman makes to scream or wake anyone else up in the room in any way, the fighter will cover her mouth again.And once more atttempt to conivince her to calm down.
    Diplomacy - (1d20)[6] In case you want it.

Assuming the woman at least acts calmly and logically.
    "I came here looking for my father. He owns this store. I haven't seen him since the revolt and am very worried. Hes a human with red hair like me. Usually a pretty jovial guy. Makes some excellent stew and spins a grand yarn. Do you know where I might find him, or where I can find someone who knows?
    I can take you to a shelter for refugees if you need one. I also have a (very) small amount of pull with the Doge, so I can help you guys out where you need it. I just want to find my Dad."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra blinks a little Well, that's a surprise. I can't believe I didn't notice it. she scratches her head a little I would like to know if you know anything about what message was being delivered. It seems like who ever it was need to get here fast. she turns towards the door the rider went through.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

29. - Top - End - #239

Default Adventurers' Guild HQ, back yard

Spoiler
    Show
    From the last post:
    Jerris and the owl rider who had run into the guild house a minute ago come out into the garden. The owl rider gets back on his mount.

Owl rider:
    "Miss, I am not allowed to divulge the nature of my mission."

Jerris:
    "Oh pish and tosh! This young lady is likely to be leading the expedition to make up for your own lack of success."

Turning to Sandra,

"The Doge is attempting to locate former Marshal Picket, but so far with little success. We know he went back to his home town, a small village to the North East called Woodsey. After that the trail goes cold."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Firbolg in the Playground

We nee'ta get't outside'a the antimagic, then I can invoke Detect Magic Althea, wanna 'elp me lift this thing?

St. Cuthbert, give me the strength to lift civilization out of the dark pit of chaos.

OOC: Invoking my strength domain power to gain +3 on my strength check to lift it. Taking ten for a total of 17, Althea will be helping too probably, if only one of us makes a strength check, I'll use aid another on althea, her strength is higher I believe.