New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread

I thought it was called "Berdusk". Or is that the name of the continent?
    The largest city-state? The plane?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Lies. Slander. Propaganda. Berdusk is a region. I think I indicated that.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

That main continent gives me the willies. Something about that one mountain - it looks like a giant, crazed eye.

And the lake looks like a big gaping mouth.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Ya know, if the lower portion you can't see is also a triangle it sorta looks like an *stabs hand to prevent typing of blasphemy*

Sorry bout that. Anyways, if those white spots (or atleast some of the) are something other thn snow or ice, then that could be looked into. So far I can only think of clouds (which would seem odd to draw on a map) or a desert of white ash.

Also, what's with all the green? That almost looks like there could be a contenant down there that does not have desert constituting the majority of its landmass...

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

We may never know. Or we might be planning a jungle to justify druids in the setting. Either or.
    And yes, I just love white sand. Perfect, white sand.

Salt flats, too. Love those.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Will you, at any point, be accepting community write-ins and ideas, even if it's only to tweak 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

We did that. That was the brainstorm.

For some reason, the first 24 hours were pretty wasted.

What did you have in mind?

8. - Top - End - #38

I dunno, I just come up with things at random. I had a rather striking mental image of a caravan walking through the desert and meeting a man dressed completely wrong for the heat, but he doesn't seem uncomfortable at all. When they pass, he tips his hat - and the entire caravan erupts into flames. He plucks out a burning brand, puts it in his mouth, replaces his hat upon his head, and walks on.

More concrete things to come; I'm a spontaenous designer.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it is a discussion thread, and I won't discourage people from discussing.

But the stamps will not be coming to this thread.

10. - Top - End - #40

The Yes/No ones?

Thing is, you didn't request all that much from the community. I, for one, would love to be able to actively participate...at the same time, I still want to be surprised. That's why I asked if you'd be considering write-ins - not unconditionally, but on a case-by-case basis. It gives the community something to do besides pester you every 5 minutes for information, and it gives you more material to work with.

My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    The Yes/No ones?
    The same. Also that other one, but we won't go there. There is only one circumstance under which a Big Yes or Big No will drop on this thread, and itwon't come up for a while.

Thing is, you didn't request all that much from the community.
    Technically, we requested everything that wasn't nailed down.

I, for one, would love to be able to actively participate...
    We've had a few people say likewise. It's great that we have so many people wanting to help, and if we ever do it again we may be more inclined to tap the community's aid.

at the same time, I still want to be surprised. That's why I asked if you'd be considering write-ins - not unconditionally, but on a case-by-case basis.
    Like I said, you can post them here, or send them to... probably me, since I'm the most active of us.

It gives the community something to do besides pester you every 5 minutes for information, and it gives you more material to work with.
    No, I expect that that will happen anyway.

12. - Top - End - #42

Alright, then what would you, as a designer, prefer to be sent in? Little scenes for "concept shots"? Basic ideas? Detailed fluff? Crunch? Detailed fluff + crunch, a Lore table, and a sample encounter?

My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I'll look at anything, but I make no guarantees on any of it. Monsters will be glanced at and immediately handed off to Zeta Kai for approval. And he may ignore his PM box unless I notify him at HQ. I would suggest erring on the side of less work, since it'll be less of a blow if it doesn't get used.

This is not a blanket encouragement of write-ins. However, if there's something you would like to write in, my PM box is open, as is this thread.

As a special bonus, I dredged up one of the early early messages from back when Steampunk was leading. This is what might have gone down:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma

Geography, I would say, should come immediately before Politics/Government.

Main Opposition describes the primary antagonists of the world. Examples:

Dragonlance: Draconians/Dragons
    Forgotten Realms: Well-organized human evil.
    Greyhawk: Big Bad Empires
    Dark Sun: Defilers/Tyr
    Spelljammer: Neogi, scro, mind flayers
    Perfect. I'm crafting a list of all the upcoming polls. I'll run them by you as they come up. Here's the one for tomorrow, assuming Victorian/SP still wins:
    {table=head]Themes|Votes
    Phantasmagoria: mediums, ghosts, & séances, spiritualism, the occult, & exploitation of the Final Threshold in scientific applications|
    Mechanisms: clockwork & steam-driven technology|
    Gothic Horror: vampires, gargoyles, & werewolves|
    Travel: exploration, exotic colonial lands, & the fear of the unknown|
    Academia: printings, dusty tomes, forgotten lore, the written word, detective work, & informed research|
    Gas-Lamp Science: exploiting alchemy to craft pseudoscientific marvels|[/table]

Thoughts?

14. - Top - End - #44

What about things that straddle the line between monster and race?

In any event, I've got a few ideas that may be posted in the next day/few hours.

Also Afro, do you ever sleep?

My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

Damn, now I almost wish steampunk had won, I'd love to play that Academia theme. That's right up my alley (and that of most of my characters - I usually play high-Int chars...)

afro's right, write-in or no write-in encouragement there'd still be a constant cry for info. We're human, after all. =p

I think part of the reason you got so little response during the "brainstorming" session is the time constraint. That's a bit of a short time to come up with a solid idea to pitch out, especially when we knew so little of what was going down.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    What about things that straddle the line between monster and race?
    I review it as a race, then pass it to Zeta for monster review.

In any event, I've got a few ideas that may be posted in the next day/few hours.
    Alright.

Also Afro, do you ever sleep?
    It's possible. 14 minutes from now, I will be in bed, yes.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magnor Criol
    I think part of the reason you got so little response during the "brainstorming" session is the time constraint. That's a bit of a short time to come up with a solid idea to pitch out, especially when we knew so little of what was going down.
    The other part, of course, is that everyone wanted more info, more [NOUN] etc. before contributing.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

I'm lurking around these threads as I am quite eager to see what Hourglass of the Gods has waiting in the wings.

Just one small suggestion: Perhaps you can have easter egg material in the form of concessions to close votes, where the runners-up in each of the VUACS voting sessions gets some part of the existing campaign world designed specifically with them in mind.

For example: Victorian/Steampunk nearly won out as the genre. Perhaps there is a collection of individuals, a guild, or even a settlement, which is very victorian/steampunk-esque. Perhaps a region (small) even.

Since Low Magic was rather close to Moderate Magic perhaps areas of low magic, or maybe just a nation or city, could be present.

One single god is the primary religion of course, but infinite gods was a very close second. Perhaps there is a sect (powerful perhaps) that worships these infinite gods. Incorporating them in some way better validates the setting's name for sure.

And, the obvious, a nod to Saberdusk wouldn't be too much to ask would it?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the Executioner going to be in this campaign setting? (it's late in Aus, so please don't kill me if this was a stupid question)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander
    Just one small suggestion: Perhaps you can have easter egg material in the form of concessions to close votes, where the runners-up in each of the VUACS voting sessions gets some part of the existing campaign world designed specifically with them in mind.
    We're not going to go this route. Steampunk elements will not be included. There is one god and no infinite gods/angels/whatever. I refuse to bring out the stamp on this.

The nod to Saberdusk was because that was my choice for a name, selected because I had planned the Berdusk region already.

Horngeek: it's been answered in another thread, I think, but: no, the Executioner is Shadow's own thing. It will not be part of the campaign setting.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2008-12-03 at 08:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh glorious of glorious McGlories! I've been watching this for a while, but seeing that map really shows that you guys are in fact completely insane determined in your efforts of Vote Up a Campaign Setting.

I look forward to watching this world come into being!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, we're pushing it, Lappy. That's only one fragment of one world's map; less than a sixth, I believe.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Oh, we're pushing it, Lappy. That's only one fragment of one world's map; less than a sixth, I believe.
    I wouldn't have believed any less.

So, is there anything astounding about the world's construction? You know:

* Is it the normal spherical shape?
    * Is there an Underdark?
    * Do the normal rules for a world's ecology still apply here?
    * Has anything been blasted to pieces (like continent-size pieces)?
    * Is it possible to walk right into the Ying/Yang plane?
    * Is it's head. Cut. Off?
    You don't need to feel compelled to answer these; they're more for brainstorming than anything.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Is it the normal spherical shape?

I believe so; neither of the others has suggested anything else.

Is there an Underdark?

Oh, quite likely. Caverns are very important. Sure, some may be giant magical talking tiger heads, but...

Do the normal rules for a world's ecology still apply here?

As a general rule, yes. There are certain exceptions.

Has anything been blasted to pieces?

Backstory's been one of my pet projects, and so far it's shaping up to be a no.

Is it possible to walk right into the Yin/Yang plane?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there an Underdark?

Oh, quite likely. Caverns are very important. Sure, some may be giant magical talking tiger heads, but...
    I think I just realized what an awesome dungeon that would make. All that gold and the player's can't touch any of it. That's almost bordering on mean, although I bet it could spark some very creative solutions to get all of that gold out of there.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

The other part, of course, is that everyone wanted more info, more [NOUN] etc. before contributing.
    Thing is, I could've suggested a mysterious cult of assasins who wield invisible scimitars (or a desert hermit who was once a djinni sultan cursed and exiled into the wastes, or an organization of favored women from various rulers' harems who subtly pry info from their men and sell it in blackmarket, or... you get the idea) at any time, but I had (have) no idea if that'd fit the setting.

Of course, if you allow random joe #42 to write whatever stuff occurs to him at any time, you'll get 30 pages of stuff (15 pages of which will inevitably contain hourglasses) sift through. Which'd be no fun. You're probably better off doing all the work yourselves.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc
    Of course, if you allow random joe #42 to write whatever stuff occurs to him at any time, you'll get 30 pages of stuff (15 pages of which will inevitably contain [NOUN]) sift through. Which'd be no fun. You're probably better off doing all the work yourselves.
    There is that risk. Hence, my PM box as an option. That way, I can just delete anything that mentions [NOUN].

But again, that sort of thing would have been great during the brainstorm. We wanted people to just throw out ideas, regardless of whether or not they would fit. The sole exceptions were mentioned very early on, but we had to spend a day fighting that battle because people kept arguing the point.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Are there any plans to run inaugural play-by-post campaigns within the setting as tests of how well the flavour works? because you really need an excuse to run campaigns in your own handmade setting

Also, this region of 'Berdusk', its design intent wasn't to make everyone 'say Berdusk' perchance? I caught your nod to the setting name you preferred! Don't try to deny it
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

I know I'm certainly hoping for an -itP campaign in this setting.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

No, as I said, I planned the region name first and evolved a possible setting title from that.