New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    I don't see how you can rage or get depressed by DD. There are much worse webcomics out there that make a lot of money for their creators and are loved by all. Most acknowledge DD for what it is.
    Which is why I dislike CAD far more than DD.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    The dimensions I see are

TVTropes / Fanfiction - Are your posts link-heavy? Or do you write fanfiction to paper over holes in the comic?
    Analysis / Reaction - Do you see each update in the broader context of the comic and the world? Or do you evaluate each update independently?
    Hope / Despair - When there's uncertainty, do you say "This could be cool"? Or do you say "It's just going to be resolved anticlimatically"?
    Threaddict / Sober - Nothing's happening? Do you post pictures of ponies, Dominikudigan, in verse, or do you just wait for the next update?
    Punchy / NoPunchy - What is your opinion of Punchy McStonefist?*
    I'd say the more jokey types are something of a chaotic alignment in this regard. Rather than stick to just to hope or despair, the joker tends to just express feeling based on how good of a joke he can make of either.

TvTropes, Analysis, and (potentially) Threaddict all lend themselves more to the Analysis snarker type. Reaction, Despair and Threaddict tend to offer an example of the Rage type. And Hope, Sober, and eventually despair are example of the Sensitive type.

A.R.Se: Because you don't know who you are until we tell you.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

So... anyone up for cutting the latest strips down to a sufficient amount of panels to see how long it is? And so i can catch up without having the read all that crap.

(Somewhat related: Do you want to see better art than DD? Check my sig. I can now do drawings for you. And i promise that they're not as terribad as Mookie's. )

PS: No idea how i fit into the newly developed scheme. >_>
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-05-07 at 11:41 AM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    I think that's the first time I ever made it into a signature. I'm so proud!
    You're welcome
    I'm considering using this in Facebook, too.
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    Which is why I dislike CAD far more than DD.
    CAD's hatebase is probably much larger than its fanbase. Sure, Buckley makes money but is he respected? No.

I do dislike CAD but it's not what I was talking about.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2011-05-07 at 01:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #786

How I am... the indicators vary with my workload. Thinking about my reasons, I think this thread is therapy for me. The analytical stuff is interesting. Looking over DD is a really instructive thing about the importance of criticism. (Also, I'll note that my really dire and emphatic predictions seem to never actually come to pass, which is... dunno, probably annoys and comforts two approximately equal-sized groups. Mediocrity vs not-terrible, and all.)

Looking over the actual dimensions more closely...

I mention tropes (complete with all initial caps ), but I also try to figure out "wait, what would be a reasonable situation here?", and tend to fail. I'm not sure it's possible to react to an individual update in a vacuum. If somebody did that, wouldn't every post be "Man, I have a splitting headache. I can't remember anything from last night. Why does everyone have a pointy face and a mouth under each eye?"? I think I'm straight down the middle on Hope/Despair. I mean, that's how apathy seems to me. And like I said, the last significant axis is dependent on my workload, with some anomalies, like the fact that I'm posting right now.

*Back to final project. I may post it at some point, during another slump. It is a short comic-book thing about the experiences and thoughts of Vine Deloria, Jr.*
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    So... anyone up for cutting the latest strips down to a sufficient amount of panels to see how long it is? And so i can catch up without having the read all that crap.
    Last 2 weeks abbreviated:

Luna: "Quilt! Need you to find Celesto for us. Dominic could do it, but it might be dangerous so I'd rather you take the hit."

Quilt: "k"

*pause*

Q: "Scrying or no scrying?"

L: "With"

Q: "aww."

*Quilt blows bubbles, uses them instead of crystal ball because *

Q: "Nope. Nope. Nope, and apparently I'm made out of pervert bits. Nope. Nope. Aha. Got him."

L: "Nice. Where is he?"

Q: "He's currently~~~~~FRIDAY CLIFFHANGER BREAK.
    Last edited by Darkmyst; 2011-05-07 at 02:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    CAD's hatebase is probably much larger than its fanbase. Sure, Buckley makes money but is he respected? No.

I do dislike CAD but it's not what I was talking about.
    Oh, if you're talking about comics that are still generally well liked, then I guess my dislike of xkcd counts. It does have a notable hatebase though.
    Last edited by Bobikus; 2011-05-07 at 03:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    Last 2 weeks abbreviated:

Luna: "Quilt! Need you to find Celesto for us. Dominic could do it, but it might be dangerous so I'd rather you take the hit."

Quilt: "k"

*pause*

Q: "Scrying or no scrying?"

L: "With"

Q: "aww."

*Quilt blows bubbles, uses them instead of crystal ball because *

Q: "Nope. Nope. Nope, and apparently I'm made out of pervert bits. Nope. Nope. Aha. Got him."

L: "Nice. Where is he?"

Q: "He's currently~~~~~FRIDAY CLIFFHANGER BREAK.
    Thanks.

Spoiler
    Show

Dohoho~

6 panels for 2 weeks.
    That's as many as 8 tens.
    And that's terrible.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

10. - Top - End - #790

The whole cliffhanger will be revealed to be just

Spoiler
    Show
    a funny looking mole in Celesto's ass.

11. - Top - End - #791

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    The whole cliffhanger will be revealed to be just

Spoiler
    Show
    a funny looking mole in Celesto's ass.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will then spend three weeks on a arc about how important it is to get regular cancer screenings. Alterism may or may not be involved for unclear reasons.

12. - Top - End - #792

You've redeemed this week's comics for me with that image, Domo, if only because they spawned it.
    LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #793
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    You've redeemed this week's comics for me with that image, Domo, if only because they spawned it.
    My favourite part is Quilt shifting his obsession from Pam's butt to Celesto's butt. If only that happened in strip - it's funny and it makes more sense than what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    Oh, if you're talking about comics that are still generally well liked, then I guess my dislike of xkcd counts. It does have a notable hatebase though.
    Yeah, xkcd is probably the closest I'd get to a webcomic that actively annoys me because it's impossible to avoid the die-hard fans. At least most Dominic Deegan and CAD fans treat it as a guilty pleasure. Although in my case it's also because I used to be a fan, back when I thought xkcd was a self-depreciating look into the way nerds think and before it got way too smug.

14. - Top - End - #794

Domo has inspired me. As soon as I get Photoshop detecting my Tablet pen pressure again I want to contribute with some snark art... I already have something special in mind!

15. - Top - End - #795

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Yeah, xkcd is probably the closest I'd get to a webcomic that actively annoys me because it's impossible to avoid the die-hard fans. At least most Dominic Deegan and CAD fans treat it as a guilty pleasure. Although in my case it's also because I used to be a fan, back when I thought xkcd was a self-depreciating look into the way nerds think and before it got way too smug.
    Success was the worst thing to happen to xkcd.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Well I wouldn't call it THAT bad...But mostly I just find it too smug most of the time. Too Sure of itself, and sometimes missing the point completely.

17. - Top - End - #797

Success was the worst thing to happen to <insert stuff here>.
    The hipster credo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #798

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The hipster credo.
    Credos are too mainstream. Hipsters use more of a system of tenets, but you've probably never heard of them.

"Nothing can stop The Smooze."

19. - Top - End - #799

Bah, the hipster culture is too widespread to be cool anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #800

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Bah, the hipster culture is too widespread to be cool anymore.
    Which gives us the hipsters hipstering the hipster movement. Which spawns the hipsters who hipster the hipstering of the hipster movement. Which in turn gives us the hipsters who hipster the hipstering of the hipstering of the hipster movement. Ad-infinitum(Ironically).

And so, I present my proposition that being awake past 5 a.m. isn't a particularly good idea. Good night, everybody!
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    And the vicious cycle continues. You'd think after 2 weeks of nothing we finally could break with our addiction, then Domo comes and makes this. (Lol by the way.) This starts to look like one of those epic ancient Greek dramas where everybody dies a painful dead, and they can do nothing about it except accepting it since it is their inevitable destiny.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

xkcd was the worst thing to happen to success.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

xkcd was the worst thing to happen to success.
    xkcd was the worst thing to happen to success

24. - Top - End - #804
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Yeah, xkcd is probably the closest I'd get to a webcomic that actively annoys me because it's impossible to avoid the die-hard fans.
    One wouldn't exactly say it's impossible. I've never met a true advocate of xkcd... reactions from people I've heard mention the thing have been lukewarm at best.

Unrelated: Damn you're quick Domo! Bravo :D

25. - Top - End - #805
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey, I happen to like CAD!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #806
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Everything was cool until everything came along...Remeber those days? When everything was original, except NOW everything is making everything more everything by adding more everything then everything! If I wanted everything I would get everything, not everything!

27. - Top - End - #807

I was gonna say something intelligent, but then TheArsenal happened, and now my head is asplode.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I was gonna say something intelligent, but then TheArsenal happened, and now my head is asplode.
    This is going to be in my signature.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    What he said.
    (I wish there was a "like" button in the forum,, so I could signal approval without writing content-less posts that serve no other purpose.)
    ― Joseph Stalin

30. - Top - End - #810

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Hey, I happen to like CAD!
    The only explanation I can think of here is that you're actually Buckley in disguise.