New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Easy Exploit Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    For that you should use Polymorph Any Object and become a Beholder for the specific racial PrC.
    You retain your broken Phaerim spellcasting and gain yet another broken form of spellcasting.
    What is Beholder spell casting and what does it bring too the party?

Also, yeah, I should have caught the Dispel magic thing myself. Oh well.
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    What is Beholder spell casting and what does it bring too the party?

Also, yeah, I should have caught the Dispel magic thing myself. Oh well.
    Beholder Mage, lets you sacrifice your eye-ray SLAs in exchange for spellstalks that can cast spells. You can use multiple spellstalks in a single round...
    Last edited by NNescio; 2011-09-12 at 07:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    Beholder Mage, lets you sacrifice your eye-ray SLAs in exchange for spellstalks that can cast spells. You can use multiple spellstalks in a single round...

And you know, combine that, with the ability to get all the metamagic feats in the game via Darkchaos Shuffle and then to reduce there Metamagic costs to zero via practical metamagic.

Wow.

Has ANYONE alerted the Teir system authors yet to tell them we found a way to make the Sorcerer not only A Teir one class but possibly THE most powerful Teir one class in the game?
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

And you know, combine that, with the ability to get all the metamagic feats in the game via Darkchaos Shuffle and then to reduce there Metamagic costs to zero via practical metamagic.

Wow.

Has ANYONE alerted the Teir system authors yet to tell them we found a way to make the Sorcerer not only A Teir one class but possibly THE most powerful Teir one class in the game?
    Well, it's more a matter of the Beholder Mage is Tier-0 (full Wizard spellcasting, spontaneously, with no spellbook dependency, with Sorcerer spells-per-day... over a ten-level PrC). It's a little hard to qualify for, though. "Race: True Beholder" is hard to get, and in order to get access to spells, it must "sacrifice the use of one of its eye rays from one of its ten small eyestalks"

Most methods of qualifying as a beholder don't necessarily make you a "true beholder", and even ignoring that, most don't give you eyestalks to sacrifice the use of. And, of course, you can't actually be a beholder directly, as it's LA: "-", and has 11 hit dice.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Well, it's more a matter of the Beholder Mage is Tier-0 (full Wizard spellcasting, spontaneously, with no spellbook dependency, with Sorcerer spells-per-day... over a ten-level PrC). It's a little hard to qualify for, though. "Race: True Beholder" is hard to get, and in order to get access to spells, it must "sacrifice the use of one of its eye rays from one of its ten small eyestalks"

Most methods of qualifying as a beholder don't necessarily make you a "true beholder", and even ignoring that, most don't give you eyestalks to sacrifice the use of. And, of course, you can't actually be a beholder directly, as it's LA: "-", and has 11 hit dice.
    Ah well, it was a fun though while it lasted.

But hey, the trick I've worked out still holds water, and having the whole sorcerer wizards spell list + all the 3.5 metamagic feats at Cost 0 + the ability to spontaneously cast them in any bloody combination you like at the moment (And Rapid metamagic means that you don't even have to worry about the increased casting time!) as many times a day as a Sorcerer of your level + Cha mod + the number of times you Dark Chaos Shuffled in the extra spell slot feat (Which could be utterly mind blowing.) + Auto having the ability to ignore any inconvenient components = PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!!!!!! And no Itty Bitty living space.

And certainly pushes me into T1 territory, right?
    "I Burn!"

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Ah well, it was a fun though while it lasted.

But hey, the trick I've worked out still holds water, and having the whole sorcerer wizards spell list + all the 3.5 metamagic feats at Cost 0 + the ability to spontaneously cast them in any bloody combination you like at the moment (And Rapid metamagic means that you don't even have to worry about the increased casting time!) as many times a day as a Sorcerer of your level + Cha mod + the number of times you Dark Chaos Shuffled in the extra spell slot feat (Which could be utterly mind blowing.) + Auto having the ability to ignore any inconvenient components = PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!!!!!! And no Itty Bitty living space.

And certainly pushes me into T1 territory, right?
    Nope. That level of optimization pushes up two tiers, not one, if your DM lets you get away with it (yes, there is a tier-0. There's also a tier negative one, but you probably don't want to go there).
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2011-09-12 at 08:27 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

I feel awesome, and yet sad.

The latter because I think of all the times I've spent thinking up kick ass melee characters and how irrelevant a build like the one I hammered out here could make them.
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #308
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't know about anyone else, but personally I'm pretty sure that the Phaerimm's base casting ability is based on its monster hit dice, not its class hit dice. It's like a dragon. If you're a red dragon wyrmling with 6 Sorcerer levels, you only have your Sorcerer class spells and you don't gain access to the dragon's innate casting ability from having 9 HD because six of them aren't dragon hit dice.
    Or at least that's how I read it.
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Dragon racial casting is taken from a table and is based on age category. Phaerimm racial casting is explicitly based directly on hit dice with no qualifier for what kind of hit dice.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but personally I'm pretty sure that the Phaerimm's base casting ability is based on its monster hit dice, not its class hit dice. It's like a dragon. If you're a red dragon wyrmling with 6 Sorcerer levels, you only have your Sorcerer class spells and you don't gain access to the dragon's innate casting ability from having 9 HD because six of them aren't dragon hit dice.
    Or at least that's how I read it.
    That's how it *should* have been written, yes. Totally agree with you on that aspect. However, as it didn't specify "Racial", you've got the clause "The creature’s Hit Dice equal the number of class levels it has plus its racial Hit Dice."

So a Hatchling Phaerim (LA+2, 1st racial hit die exchanged for class level)/Sorcerer-5 has five hit dice, which stack with it's Sorcerer casting, making it a 7th level character that casts as a Sorcerer-10... as spell-like abilities.

LA buyoff makes this particularly ill, but it's quite sickening without it.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2011-09-12 at 10:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

There are always Magic Jar shenanigans, which might make you a true beholder with eyestalks to sacrifice.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Dragon racial casting is taken from a table and is based on age category. Phaerimm racial casting is explicitly based directly on hit dice with no qualifier for what kind of hit dice.
    Well, then I'm just going to blame WotC's crappy editing and claim that RAI Phaerimm SLAs were meant to be based on racial hit dice.
    Unfortunately by RAW that allows things like the aforementioned build.
    Jude P.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Also, phaerimm make excellent fiends of possession, due to casting everything as an SLA. Psuedonatural allows you to qualify as outsider, ritual of alignment gives you evil subtype.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the DM View Post
    Come on, let's hear the REAL exploits, the stuff that makes you shake your head in disgust, not laugh out loud.
    Scrolls.

Really, wizards should get to memorize spells once per adventure. That's why those spells are so powerful; in the early editions, you went into a dungeon with what you had in your head, and that was it.

Now, any wizard worth his salt can cast every spell he knows, as often as he needs to, any time he wants. Bleh.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    There are always Magic Jar shenanigans, which might make you a true beholder with eyestalks to sacrifice.
    I did say "most" rather than "all", yes?

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, honestly, I think I'd be broken mac brokebroke enough with out adding beholdermage on top of that.

Though now I have 3 more questions.

1: How would one go about recovering lost caster levels? Say caster levels he lost dipping Paladin and Monk too get Cha to Saves and AC?

2: Is there a way to get Cha too HP other then becoming a Dry Lich? Like a Graph or a magic Item or something?

3: Using the already described Polymorph trick, could you sit there and add a bunch of racial templates too it too Boost your Cha?
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2011-09-14 at 08:09 AM.
    "I Burn!"

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, honestly, I think I'd be broken mac brokebroke enough with out adding beholdermage on top of that.

Though now I have 3 more questions.

1: How would one go about recovering lost caster levels? Say caster levels he lost dipping Paladin and Monk too get Cha to Saves and AC?
    Be a Dragonwrought Kobold and take the Loredrake Sovereign Archetype that are two extra Sorcerer levels, add Greater rite of Draconic Passage for another Sorc Level and if you want to be really really chessy White Dragonspawn for another level.

2: Is there a way to get Cha too HP other then becoming a Dry Lich? Like a Graph or a magic Item or something?

3: Using the already described Polymorph trick, could you sit there and add a bunch of racial templates too it too Boost your Cha?
    That is the only one I could answer
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Incantatrix is widely known for being overpowered and rightfully so. I've seen once a neat trick concerning Metamagic Effect. This ability allows you to apply metamagic feats to spells already in effect - even spells cast by your enemies! Take Sculpt Spell and redirect any area effect spell you wish. If there is a metamagic feat, that adds [cold] descriptor to a spell (Snowcasting won't count AFAIK), you can add Flashfrost and Fell Drain to enemies buffs for extra giggles. You can also be boring and just use it to Persist as many buffs as you can imagine.
    I did say "most" rather than "all", yes?
    Yes, and the premise of this thread is to show those tricks, so I wrote the relevant one I know. I probably should have linked the relevant explenation.
    Last edited by Radar; 2011-09-14 at 10:25 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Their are other undead that have the same quality (unholy toughness) the dry lich has that allow them to get CHA to HP (though they lack con scores). I also beleive their is some feat that gives it to you (beauty's bounty works, but only for first level iirc), the ritual of blood spell (an eberron book, forget which one).
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2011-09-14 at 10:35 AM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Their are other undead that have the same quality (unholy toughness) the dry lich has that allow them to get CHA to HP (though they lack con scores). I also beleive their is some feat that gives it to you (beauty's bounty works, but only for first level iirc), the ritual of blood spell (an eberron book, forget which one).
    That last one sounds Promising actually.

And does anyone know a way to get Lost caster levels back other then Dragon Wrought Kobolt?
    "I Burn!"

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

And does anyone know a way to get Lost caster levels back other then Dragon Wrought Kobolt?
    Practiced spellcaster feat?

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Possible. Um, ok, Practiced spell caster. If I take it, does it allow me to learn spells of a given level if I have a means to learn them other then leveling to learn them?

Example, I'm Sorcerer 6. I take 2 lvls of Paladin and a level of Monk to get Cha to saves and AC. If I then Dark Chaos Shuffle to get Extra spell feats to learn 4th lvl spells like Black Tenticals, Polymorph, and Greater Invisibility, and take Practiced spell caster as my 9th lvl feat, do I now have the ability to cast those three spells? If not, why?
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Possible. Um, ok, Practiced spell caster. If I take it, does it allow me to learn spells of a given level if I have a means to learn them other then leveling to learn them?

Example, I'm Sorcerer 6. I take 2 lvls of Paladin and a level of Monk to get Cha to saves and AC. If I then Dark Chaos Shuffle to get Extra spell feats to learn 4th lvl spells like Black Tenticals, Polymorph, and Greater Invisibility, and take Practiced spell caster as my 9th lvl feat, do I now have the ability to cast those three spells? If not, why?
    You can't learn the spells in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Spell
    Benefit: You learn one additional spell at any level up to one lower than the highest level of spell you can currently cast. ...
    Last edited by NNescio; 2011-09-14 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    You can't learn the spells in the first place.
    Ok, that does put a crimp in it. Um, other then that item in the extra spell feat does it still work? If so, then the next thing to look for is away around the one level lower limit.
    "I Burn!"

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, that does put a crimp in it. Um, other then that item in the extra spell feat does it still work? If so, then the next thing to look for is away around the one level lower limit.
    Well...

Versatile Spellcaster, Heighten Spell, Earth Spell, and Sanctum spell could help when combined with Practiced Spellcaster, Extra Slot, and Extra Spell (if you have unlimited feats...).

What they do:
    Versatile Spellcaster: Races of the Dragon: Expend two spell slots to cast a spell that you know one level higher. So if you have, say, 2nd level spell slots, you could burn two of those to cast a 3rd level spell that you know.
    Heighten Spell: Player's Handbook: Makes a spell treated as one level higher for all purposes.
    Earth Spell: Races of Stone: Requires Heighten Spell and Earth Sense: Gives you a free level of Heighten under certain circumstances when you use Heighten Spell.
    Sanctum Spell: Complete Arcane: When you cast a spell in your sanctum, it's treated as one level higher for all purposes. Elsewhere, it's treated as one level lower for all purposes... but is +0 metamagic, and doesn't change the spell slot.

Why put all that together?

Well, say you cast as an 8th level Sorcerer (4th level spells). You spend two 4th level spell slots, and can cast a 5th level spell you know... which, thanks to Heighten Spell, is, say, a Heightened-to-5th Dimension Door. Then we arrange for the other two feats to kick in: You stand on the ground (for Earth Spell); it's now a 6th level spell. You also do this in your Sanctum: It's now a 7th level spell. So you've got a 7th level spell version of Dimension Door. It's still Dimension Door, but that doesn't matter, you can cast a 7th level spell.

Now that you can cast a 7th level spell, we look at the next set of feats.

Extra Slot and Extra Spell (both Complete Arcane) are worded the same way: "At any level up to one level lower than the highest level of spell you can currently cast"

So you're an 8th level Sorcerer, who can cast 7th level spells, and so when you get two bonus feats from spells, then Chaos Shuffle it into Extra Spell & Extra Slot, you get a 6th level spell known, and a 6th level spell slot to cast it with.

Do that a few more times, and oh, hey: You've got two spell slots of 6th level... using the same tricks above, that means you can squeeze one of those into counting as a 9th level spell.

Oh, hey: You can cast a 9th level spell. That means Extra Spell & Extra Slot can get you up to 8th level spells. Yay Chaos Shuffling Bonus Feats! We now have an 8th level spell slot and an 8th level spell known.

Do that a few more times, and oh, hey: You've got two spell slots of 6th level... using the same tricks above, that means you can squeeze one of those into counting as an 11th level spell. Oh, hey: You can cast an 11th level spell. That means Extra Spell & Extra Slot can get you up to 10th level spells. Yay Chaos Shuffling Bonus Feats! We now have a 10th level spell slot and an ... err... wait.... oh well. 9th level spell known. But we can use that 10th level spell slot for metamagic. And other than the pesky limit of normal heighten spell (9th), we'd be able to get some *very* high spell slots - but we're capped at 10th level spell slots *with this method* until we get into the Epic Heighten Spell feat (which requires, thanks to the Epic tag) character level 21.

Edit: Oh yes, and while not strictly necessary, Practiced Spellcaster (Complete Arcane) brings your actual caster level up by 4 (to a maximum of your hit dice... which, if you're using the Phrenic Race for free Chaos Shuffling, probably won't help you any).
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2011-09-14 at 08:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

You sir, are amazing.
    "I Burn!"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

You sir, are amazing.
    Well, before you can start that, you need to be able to put together some spell that gives you a bonus feat (Heroics, Spell Compendium is one potential), Embrace the Dark Chaos (Fiendish Codex-1, Clr 8, Sor/Wiz 8), and Shun the Dark Chaos (Fiendish Codex-1, Clr 8, Sor/Wiz 8), so about the earliest a normal Sorcerer could start in on this would be 17th level... although as a Phaerim, you just need 9 Sorcerer levels (as they count double, making you cast as a Sorcerer-18 with spell-like abilities).

AKA, by the time you could do this, you'd be getting 9th level spells anyway, and it's not quite as big a deal as you might think (other than the transition to tier 0).

28. - Top - End - #328
    Colossus in the Playground

Do note that you usually cannot cast a spell if your CL is too low - but what that actually means is somewhat unclear, since spells don't have a listed CL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Did you know that you can extremely extend your lifetime by using the Ungent of Timelessness on yourself? It says that it can be used on any matter that was once living. You were living 5 seconds ago... Effective Immortality!(from age)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inevitables may come after you though... Arguable.
    Last edited by Deep Rot; 2011-09-20 at 09:38 PM.
    AI in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Blasting isn't T3. It's either T2 (you're Mailman enough to kill everything) or T4 (you're an over-glorified archer).

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Rot View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inevitables may come after you though... Arguable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They have stats - they can be killed.