New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #808 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    That ... was FANTASTIC!!
    Why would Roy do that? Does he plan to become a civil engineer when he retires from adventuring?
    It could also be something fighter college taught for reasons like siege warfare. Or it could just be a passion of Roy's. Like the business major that takes an elective in classical Greek & Roman literature.
    Wandering, but not lost

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me

Whenever someone is complaining about the comic violating D&D rules, just open this spoiler.

Spoiler
    Show

If you are looking for moment-to-moment rules accuracy from this comic, you probably should stop reading. You are guaranteed to be continually frustrated and disappointed, because I don't care about that at all.
    -The Giant

Rules lawyers: rules only matter in a campaign, not a story!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    Bravo!

Loved it.

(although had to suspend disbelief a little since any human skull would fracture before a stone column surely... D&D or no D&D)
    You are reading a D&D run webcomic.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    New comic is up.

Sorry for the extra long delay on this one, the extra pages took a long time.
    That's OK, Giant.

T'were worth the wait!

Cheers, JohnH / Wanda

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    There was more than one call-back, actually.

But he was already raging, so Roy just needed to move around like he did... Well, I'm probably reading too much into it anyway, not every move needs to have a game rules-related utility, after all.

Oh man, those call backs just made me realize that we are about to get a "who stole my loot?" moment between Haley and V thanks to Blackwing...

Loved the update, good use of terrain.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

That was awesome.

Nice to see Roy use his high intelligence score in a fight.

By the wasy, in panel 10, shouldn't Roy say "yourselves" instead of "yourself"?

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

*huff* Cross-class... skill ranks in... *huff* ...Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering)... THAT'S how I use my Intelligence score in combat, DUMBASS!!

AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!

That was worth the wait though. Thank you, Giant, for this great start to my day. ^_^

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    That was awesome.

Nice to see Roy use his high intelligence score in a fight.

Obviously this fight has caused some minor damage to the speech center of Roy's brain. It's in the critical hit table.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Wooo! Go Roy!

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I actually kinda hope Thog is dead. The major enemies have to bite the dust at some point, and I doubt they'll do it all together at the stories' end.
    If thog dies, Tsukiko will turn him into some invincible undead beserk monster...

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

On the topic of the whole "Thog didn't die from the falling object/ceiling" topic. He's still taking more and more damage (non-lethal I think?) each round from the crushing weight. Eventually that becomes lethal as well, so if no one rescues him soon... things do not look good for our adorable green villain.

On the topic of the comic, Absolutely fantastic. And a wonderful closing round to the fight!
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    The Lord of the Rings
    Farewell speech of Bilbo Baggins, Chapter 'A Long-Expected Party'.

Many thanks to onasuma and Dark Elf Bard for the adorable avatar!

11. - Top - End - #131

Very funny! Wish I didnt have to wait for the next one now!

12. - Top - End - #132

That was the best strip in months! Awesome!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Thank you Roy. You just made my day. And thanks to you too, Giant, of course.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Worth the wait. Awesome!

I still want to see a fully armed duel so Roy can show Thog who the better melee combatant it. Not that I want Thog dead...
    "Be brave Tula and one day you too will be free!"
    -cledfb

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Loved the arm waving of Roys at the spectators.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Looking forward to Thog getting out of that rubble barely unscratched.

Hope Roy will be already quite far from there.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Thog will be back. I didn't expect either one to survive. I figured it would fall and kill both of them. But then again, I suppose Roy dying again so soon wouldn't be very dramatically appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

EPIC WIN. Seriously.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

19. - Top - End - #139

Sweet comic, and great punchline in the name. Bravo Giant

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    The numbers look right, but I think you're overestimating the damage Roy did over the course of their fight. He got two hits in with a nonmagical sword, some highly ineffective punches, an arrow through the knee, a smashed flask in the face and the final kick. The glass to the face and arrow in the knee were both strategically important, but by sheer HP numbers neither one is going to inflict more than 6-8 damage - a bit more if you count the called shot at the knee as a critical, but even then it's still in the teens.
    Regardless of how much damage Thog took when the building collapsed on him, he is now pinned and unable to do anything. Even if he's still alive, he's at the point where he could be killed off screen. Roy may or may not be willing to do that, Tarquin certainly is.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Damn good fight scene, was curious how you were gonna wrap up that fight. Nicely done!! Once again you prove you are the king of webcomics. Thanks

22. - Top - End - #142

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    No. I believe Rich intentionally shifted the speech pattern here to show Roy's shift of focus. At the beginning of the sentence, he was still trying to save the spectators. By the time he got to the end, the spectators were all gone and safe and it was now time to save himself - time to come up with a plan to win the battle and get out alive. It was, grammatically speaking, very artistic. I love that kinda stuff.

m

23. - Top - End - #143
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I actually kinda hope Thog is dead. The major enemies have to bite the dust at some point, and I doubt they'll do it all together at the stories' end.
    This. And we've seen all there is to see about his character. Beheading the "I <3 Thog" guy dispelled any doubts about him being truly evil (if there were any remaining - you know who you are); couple that with his extra helping of psycho manchild and there's really nothing left to see. He deserves to die, his rage ran out before he got squashed by half the stadium, we're done here as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #144

Flumph

Oof, looks like he's getting some mileage out of that con score too.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Excellent just excellent.

Also, Zz'dtri being arrested.

Excellent.

26. - Top - End - #146

MindFlayer

awesome episode. really like the artwork in this, especially the collapsing roof (top panel of final 'page'). seeing some of the experimentation in Snips/Snails/Dragon Tails in the main comic now.

thanks Giant!

27. - Top - End - #147

Haven't had time to read all five pages of comments yet but I'm glad Giant drew in a little Thog-head to remove all doubt that yes, he WAS in the pile of debris. The question is whether it looks like the debris formed a shell around him (which may or may not be true, but I'm just throwing it out there).

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Relevant:

Spoiler
    Show
    Cave-Ins And Collapses (Cr 8)

Cave-ins and collapsing tunnels are extremely dangerous. Not only do dungeon explorers face the danger of being crushed by tons of falling rock, even if they survive they may be buried beneath a pile of rubble or cut off from the only known exit. A cave-in buries anyone in the middle of the collapsing area, and then sliding debris damages anyone in the periphery of the collapse. A typical corridor subject to a cave-in might have a bury zone with a 15-foot radius and a 10-foot-radius slide zone extending beyond the bury zone. A weakened ceiling can be spotted with a DC 20 Knowledge (architecture and engineering) or DC 20 Craft (stonemasonry) check. Remember that Craft checks can be made untrained as Intelligence checks. A dwarf can make such a check if he simply passes within 10 feet of a weakened ceiling.

A weakened ceiling may collapse when subjected to a major impact or concussion. A character can cause a cave-in by destroying half the pillars holding the ceiling up.

Characters in the bury zone of a cave-in take 8d6 points of damage, or half that amount if they make a DC 15 Reflex save. They are subsequently buried. Characters in the slide zone take 3d6 points of damage, or no damage at all if they make a DC 15 Reflex save. Characters in the slide zone who fail their saves are buried.

Characters take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage per minute while buried. If such a character falls unconscious, he must make a DC 15 Constitution check. If it fails, he takes 1d6 points of lethal damage each minute thereafter until freed or dead.

Characters who aren’t buried can dig out their friends. In 1 minute, using only her hands, a character can clear rocks and debris equal to five times her heavy load limit. The amount of loose stone that fills a 5-foot-by-5-foot area weighs one ton (2,000 pounds). Armed with an appropriate tool, such as a pick, crowbar, or shovel, a digger can clear loose stone twice as quickly as by hand. You may allow a buried character to free himself with a DC 25 Strength check.

From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.h...ndCollapsesCr8

I doubt that's damage enough to kill Thog on its own... and a DC 25 strength check is probably difficult but manageable for him. He probably has a +6 or 7 strength modifier, even without his magic items and rage (18 base strength, 3 or 4 from level ups depending on if he's reached 16 yet or not, 2 from half orc racial bonus).

Which is more dramatic? Thog staying down, either dead or incapacitated by the collapse, and Roy walking away with a victory? Or a heavily battered but still dangerous Thog bursting from the rubble, still looking to fight, and needing to be finished off in another way?
    Last edited by Neoseanster; 2011-10-04 at 10:41 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149

This is why I like Roy. Both the use of intelligence and the time taken to tell spectators to reach safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Neoseanster View Post
    Relevant:

Spoiler
    Show

From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.h...ndCollapsesCr8

I doubt that's damage enough to kill Thog on its own... and a DC 25 strength check is probably difficult but manageable for him. He probably has a +6 or 7 strength modifier, even without his magic items and rage (18 base strength, 3 or 4 from level ups depending on if he's reached 16 yet or not, 2 from half orc racial bonus).

Which is more dramatic? Thog staying down, either dead or incapacitated by the collapse, and Roy walking away with a victory? Or a heavily battered but still dangerous Thog bursting from the rubble, still looking to fight, and needing to be finished off in another way?
    So you're saying ... rocks fall Thog dies? :D

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2011-10-04 at 10:43 AM.