New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Kneenibble's Knack for Knightly Knickers: a Knell for Random Banter #184

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Last night I was engaged in deadly, manly combat with a large insect of unknown origin that I had never seen before.

After valiantly slaying the creature with a Bioshock 2 player's guide (leaving it's body surprisingly intact, I only squished its chest and knocked out one leg) I studied it, and have come to the conclusion that it was a Crane Fly. As someone who is afraid of bugs, this was a grand expierance, to say the least.
    Crane Flies are annoying in my experience... as somebody who sees them quite regularly during the autumn months.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kneenibble's Knack for Knightly Knickers: a Knell for Random Banter #184

Last night I was engaged in deadly, manly combat with a large insect of unknown origin that I had never seen before.

After valiantly slaying the creature with a Bioshock 2 player's guide (leaving it's body surprisingly intact, I only squished its chest and knocked out one leg) I studied it, and have come to the conclusion that it was a Crane Fly. As someone who is afraid of bugs, this was a grand expierance, to say the least.
    Aww, but those are cute. And funny to play with because their clumsy flying make them so easy to catch.

[/total disregard for others' phobias]
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Crane Flies are annoying in my experience... as somebody who sees them quite regularly during the autumn months.
    I feel your pain, though only slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Aww, but those are cute. And funny to play with because their clumsy flying make them so easy to catch.

I do admit it was kind of cute, but as my (disregarded ) phobia shows, I can not suffer a bug to live. I was armed with a can of compressed air and a player's guide and spent about 20 minutes (give or take) hunting it about my room. When I had finally thought I got it, slaying it with the cold, deadly air of the compressed air shot, I went back to my bed, but a chance sight saw it hiding behind my door. It was slain with a Back Stab, clearly I am a rogue of some sort.

Sorry about killing something you find cute though, I understand that kind of sadness.

If you must blame anyone, blame Pinkhair, he told me based on its description at the time that it was a cockroach of some sort.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2012-11-01 at 12:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Oh dear... I hope you're alright and that nothing terrible has happened.
    Hopefully the adorableness of this short comic will make you feel better:
    (Note, it is a rather large image.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Unfortunately, not everything can be solved with adorable pictures.

And another funny picture because I can...
    (Also a large image.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thank you, dear Elemental, once again for your kindness. In exchange, I offer you this picture I drew of Mabel sitting on my friend's shoulder:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your first picture there is quite appropriate, actually. I had been struggling to finish a presentation to give in class on Wednesday morning, and wound up having to stay up all night to finish it. The whole frustrating time through I felt so foolish, incompetent, and useless.

The presentation went fine, and I've had a chance to sleep, but holy smokes that was a dark, dark night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    AUCK EW AUGH POISON WHY WHAT AUGH GIVE A MAN A PONY WARNING.

That one is good. Post more pictures like that one!

Knee, whatever is the bother that ails you? May it go jump in a pit of nonexistance, if it is a bother you wish was not, and may it become well and wise if it is a friendly acquaintance merely being unintentionally migrainable. I tried. Is that all that matters? SONATA ARTICA AT NIGHT Y??
    I enjoy the way you have written this thing, Ovis. *pets wool* & I thank you too for your kindness.

My struggle is trying to do classes after a few years away and while working full-time. I feel like it should not be as hard as it is, which leads to feelings of shame and inadequacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I never realized ponies needed a trigger warning.

Was Oedipus's mom (Iocasta) a milf?
    Tee hee hee. I bet she was a smoking hot cougar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    Thanks! I'm super excited to start and especially the getting more money to support my family.
    What kind of work do you do, anyways?

I do admit it was kind of cute, but as my (disregarded ) phobia shows, I can not suffer a bug to live. I was armed with a can of compressed air and a player's guide and spent about 20 minutes (give or take) hunting it about my room. When I had finally thought I got it, slaying it with the cold, deadly air of the compressed air shot, I went back to my bed, but a chance sight saw it hiding behind my door. It was slain with a Back Stab, clearly I am a rogue of some sort.

Sorry about killing something you find cute though, I understand that kind of sadness.

If you must blame anyone, blame Pinkhair, he told me based on its description at the time that it was a cockroach of some sort.
    The honourable Pinkhair, for his numerous virtues, does not know how unlikely we Canadians are to suffer cockroaches! We lack his deadly heat which encourages them.

*hugs* I cannot understand the fear of bugs; I am like unto Teddy, and will speak to the bugs I find in my house words of welcome. I cannot say I would feel the same towards cockroaches, though. The hissing... Amnesia: The Dark Descent flashbacks... nnngh
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-11-01 at 01:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I could suffer crane flies...they apparently eat mosquitos, and I am perfectly fine with anything that does that.

...cockroaches, though...*shudders*...you say Canadia is free of them? *begins the long journey north to the promised lands*
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

6. - Top - End - #1086

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    The honourable Pinkhair, for his numerous virtues, does not know how unlikely we Canadians are to suffer cockroaches! We lack his deadly heat which encourages them.

*hugs* I cannot understand the fear of bugs; I am like unto Teddy, and will speak to the bugs I find in my house words of welcome. I cannot say I would feel the same towards cockroaches, though. The hissing... Amnesia: The Dark Descent flashbacks... nnngh
    I'll be honest, some bugs I like. But this new, strange bug that just flew into my life like some wild, flying spider thing, scared the crap out of me, so it had to die.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't see them very often, but they are rather slow... Mosquitoes are easy to catch too, if not quite nearly as nice to have around.

I tend to have a problem with stinkbugs, which get in at some point (I would assume the summer, as that is when there are windows open for them to enter) and then show up mid-fall or during winter. They don't really cause any problems, but the spiders I refuse to let outside have yet to eat any, as far as I can tell.
    A few odds and ends.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    I think I could suffer crane flies...they apparently eat mosquitos, and I am perfectly fine with anything that does that.

...cockroaches, though...*shudders*...you say Canadia is free of them? *begins the long journey north to the promised lands*
    I do not know that we are altogether free of them. I only know that they are not a pernicious plague here as they are in warmer places, because they cannot survive outdoors. I, at least, have never seen one ever -- and I have been in some pretty skanky dives.

It is also why we budgies have not overtaken the nation: for while we are numerous, and greedy for land, the harsh winters confine us to the cages of our "owners." But if climate change persists, then we will soon enslave the polite humans to cast our bells, craft our mirrors, and toil in our vast fields of millet.

That is not to say, however, that you ought not emigrate hither. I think you will find that many subjects of the Dominion would give you sincere welcome, with the traditional mugs of warm maple syrup, poutine, and a prize tree to chop down and do with what you will.

I'll be honest, some bugs I like. But this new, strange bug that just flew into my life like some wild, flying spider thing, scared the crap out of me, so it had to die.
    What if the crane fly only wanted to cuddle? What if it was attracted to the lustrous gloss of your hair, an admirer? What if rapacious sparrows had chased it into hiding, a refugee?

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    I don't see them very often, but they are rather slow... Mosquitoes are easy to catch too, if not quite nearly as nice to have around.

I tend to have a problem with stinkbugs, which get in at some point (I would assume the summer, as that is when there are windows open for them to enter) and then show up mid-fall or during winter. They don't really cause any problems, but the spiders I refuse to let outside have yet to eat any, as far as I can tell.
    Stinkbugs are an acquired taste for most spiders.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-11-01 at 03:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Barbarian in the Playground

What kind of work do you do, anyways?
    Retail. GameStop specifically.

And apparently Babysitting. People keep leaving their kids in the store.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Part of II.I.
    Legionary of Valor
    Inner Circle
    OOC Mafioso

I'm back! Sorta. Not really. Kinda though.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground

Tee hee hee. I bet she was a smoking hot cougar.
    She would have been... 35? 40? If Oedipus was 20-ish. Right?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

11. - Top - End - #1091

BlackDragon

*hugs* I cannot understand the fear of bugs; I am like unto Teddy, and will speak to the bugs I find in my house words of welcome.
    I like to think of killing insects that have come into my house as my own little contribution to evolution--hopefully we'll eventually produce insects that realise coming inside a house is a bad idea!

12. - Top - End - #1092

What if the crane fly only wanted to cuddle? What if it was attracted to the lustrous gloss of your hair, an admirer? What if rapacious sparrows had chased it into hiding, a refugee?
    It didn't actually get anywhere near me. However, it simply being in my room made every inch of body shiver and sweat and freak out. I instantly devoted all my time to getting it because it was that or be unnerved for the rest of ever.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds more like a coup-de-grace to me (which at least doesn't sound quite as bad as an outright execution). If someone would be the rogue, wouldn't it be the the crane fly? I mean, it evaded your magic gust jar and slipped out of sight right in front of your eyes. And then it got unlucky with its hide check while you got a lucky roll on your perception, spelling its doom...

Nah, I'm not sad. I propagate for the preservation of most harmless wildlife, but I'm wise (or heartless) enough to not mourn those that weren't.

Either you're bad at describing crane flies, or they've got some pretty crazy cockroaches down in Pinkeru.

I do not know that we are altogether free of them. I only know that they are not a pernicious plague here as they are in warmer places, because they cannot survive outdoors. I, at least, have never seen one ever -- and I have been in some pretty skanky dives.
    I know that there exists a species of outdoor cockroaches here in Sweden, but they're smaller than a pinkie nail and I wouldn't be able to tell if from just about any generic hemipteron if mum hadn't had a knack for insects (she's a conservator, she should know). Also, it's not considered vermin, as they as an outdoor-living species doesn't invade homes.

Mosquitoes are a sport to catch, but that's probably because I'm still trying to perfect my one-handed technique. Crane flies are clumsy, but they're erratic, which makes catching them tricky enough to be fun, but simple enough to not become frustrating. And then you let it outside in the open and feel like an angel for freeing it.

Show

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, then I would like to kindly invite you to my blood donation event...
    Thin legged bug with oval body IS the description of a cockroach.

You never said the oval had a minor diameter of almost 0.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-11-01 at 06:08 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Oh, then I would like to kindly invite you to my blood donation event...
    Crane flies don't drink blood. Also, wut?

Thin legged bug with oval body IS the description of a cockroach.

You never said the oval had a minor diameter of almost 0.
    As is it for pretty much any bug in existence. But yeah, this explains some things.

Show

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ettin in the Playground

Crane flies don't drink blood. Also, wut?
    I meant in regards to phobias. Blood does not magically come out of the human body, it requires an intermediary and medical personnel does shy away from the use of knifes.

As is it for pretty much any bug in existence. But yeah, this explains some things.
    Cockroaches are the most common in homes though, at least those of a size that could make someone notice rather than merely swatting.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nah, I'm not sad. I propagate for the preservation of most harmless wildlife, but I'm wise (or heartless) enough to not mourn those that weren't.
    My old Bio teacher always told us not to kill any bug we found in the house - killing one cockroach would apparently be useless, as one means there's thousands and you should call an exterminator (NOTE: my Bio teacher, while a wonderful woman, would occasionally tell us things that were completely inaccurate, and I haven't bothered verifying this. Believe at your own risk.) She made an exception, however for this:
    Spoiler
    Show

If you see one of these, you kill it ALL KINDS of dead. They're agressive and evil. EVIL. EEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVIIIIIIILLLLLL!!!!!!
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Titan in the Playground

I meant in regards to phobias. Blood does not magically come out of the human body, it requires an intermediary and medical personnel does shy away from the use of knifes.
    Oh, but see, so do I as well. I only disregard others' phobias (not really), my own are still perfectly valid. And you might want to stop pointing that knife in my general direction.

Cockroaches are the most common in homes though, at least those of a size that could make someone notice rather than merely swatting.
    Given, our average crane fly-to-cockroach quota's right limit is infinity (okay, inaccurate use of mathematical term, but still) in this house, so that's not quite true in all parts of the world. But yeah, I can see how you're thinking.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    My old Bio teacher always told us not to kill any bug we found in the house - killing one cockroach would apparently be useless, as one means there's thousands and you should call an exterminator (NOTE: my Bio teacher, while a wonderful woman, would occasionally tell us things that were completely inaccurate, and I haven't bothered verifying this. Believe at your own risk.) She made an exception, however for this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *funny thin*

If you see one of these, you kill it ALL KINDS of dead. They're agressive and evil. EVIL. EEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVIIIIIIILLLLLL!!!!!!
    Looks like someone accidently turned it in the wrong direction when assembling the legs. Longest legs furthest back looks weird, otherwise it'd been quite cute in my eyes.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-11-01 at 06:26 PM.

Show

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, but see, so do I as well. I only disregard others' phobias (not really), my own are still perfectly valid. And you might want to stop pointing that knife in my general direction.
    Nah, I use standard medical procedure; I just use longer syringes by virtue of the reason I have syringes in the first place.
    Given, our average crane fly-to-cockroach quota's right limit is infinity (okay, inaccurate use of mathematical term, but still) in this house, so that's not quite true in all parts of the world. But yeah, I can see how you're thinking.
    That either means there are 0 cockroaches and more than 0 crane flies or there are infinite crane flies in a limited volume of air... resulting in either impenetrability of matter not being quite right for medium sized bodies, or... a CraneFlyPlosion (similar to Dwarf Fortress Catplosion).

I guess warm climate just makes the crane flies more rare, or the age of my residence being a factor of certain fauna over others.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, I use standard medical procedure; I just use longer syringes by virtue of the reason I have syringes in the first place.
    Good to know. Just don't get all too surprised if any unannounced visits from my side is preceeded by a preemptive artillery bombardment with equipment I may or may not have pilfered from little brother. I just want to make sure that no unsettling contraptions may come within my sight, surely you'll be understanding.

I guess warm climate just makes the crane flies more rare, or the age of my residence being a factor of certain fauna over others.
    I think especially the former, and it goes both ways, as our fine fellow Kneenibble pointed out.

Show

21. - Top - End - #1101

To be fair to me I've literally never seen either a cockroach or a crane fly in my entire life.

Also, there is WAY too much stuff in my room to make trying to catch it a safe idea (I also don't have anything to catch bugs in)

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

That's a silverfish, right? I'm not fond of them, but I do try and give them a sporting chance. If they make it down the drain or out of my field of vision (as I am convinced that they either can breathe underwater, or can hold their breath for a while), then they may live.
    A few odds and ends.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ettin in the Playground

Good to know. Just don't get all too surprised if any unannounced visits from my side is preceeded by a preemptive artillery bombardment with equipment I may or may not have pilfered from little brother. I just want to make sure that no unsettling contraptions may come within my sight, surely you'll be understanding.
    Paranoia is not spontaneously appearing, it is usually inherited. I have a bomb shelter, and as of now I'll have a spare set stored in it...

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Silverfish all need to die. All of them. ALL OF THEM.

... This coming from a pacifist who felt bad when he accidentally killed a firefly
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-11-01 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Silverfish all need to die. All of them. ALL O.F THEM.

... And I'm a pacifist who felt bad when I accidentally killed a firefly
    Silverfish are... why are they bad at all?

They do not transmit disease and just eat mostly leather and synthetic fabrics, which is not exactly a catastrophe except for books, and even then they are easily eradicated through spider breeding.

And I'm a preferential carnivore with the goal of eating each animal at least once before death and which dislikes about 80% of animal life.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Titan in the Playground

Also, there is WAY too much stuff in my room to make trying to catch it a safe idea (I also don't have anything to catch bugs in)
    Hands?

That's a silverfish, right? I'm not fond of them, but I do try and give them a sporting chance. If they make it down the drain or out of my field of vision (as I am convinced that they either can breathe underwater, or can hold their breath for a while), then they may live.
    My house is overrun by silverfish, and trust me, that is not a silverfish (house centipede if the image URL is to be trusted). Also, silverfish tends to be more... silvery.

Paranoia is not spontaneously appearing, it is usually inherited. I have a bomb shelter, and as of now I'll have a spare set stored in it...
    Nothing a perfectly oversized deep penetration shell won't take care of. Me and little brother tend to joke about him being quite similar to Hitler in that he's almost magnetically attracted to anything oversized (and especially in regards to weaponry). And not only does he build his own cannons, he's even heading into the field of rocketry now. If we would combine our forces, we could build the best rocket with the best targeting software, and the electronics would be so riddiculously unstable that you'd tape a gremlin to it to add reliability.

Show

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ettin in the Playground

They do not transmit disease and just eat mostly leather and synthetic fabrics, which is not exactly a catastrophe except for books, and even then they are easily eradicated through spider breeding.

And I'm a preferential carnivore with the goal of eating each animal at least once before death and which dislikes about 80% of animal life.
    That doesn't include humans, does it?

My house is overrun by silverfish, and trust me, that is not a silverfish (house centipede if the image URL is to be trusted). Also, silverfish tends to be more... silvery.
    Ah, ok. It's been a good while since I've seen a silverfish up close, and the same goes for centipedes.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2012-11-01 at 07:33 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Titan in the Playground

They eat paper (for some reason, they prefer post-its. We've considered spreading those around as sacrifical anodes just to keep the silverfish off our books), and flood your house, and trust me, that last line is as wrong as wrong gets even when your house spouts spiders the size of your average wristwatch.

That would be... most insects, but not all. You still like some insects.

Show

29. - Top - End - #1109

Hands?
    If I did that their is a near 90% chance that I'd of thrown up all over the floor apon contact with the bug's bug flesh.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ettin in the Playground

If I did that their is a near 90% chance that I'd of thrown up all over the floor apon contact with the bug's bug flesh.
    Nah, you'd have to squish them to do that. With most bugs, you'd just hit their chitin (for the ones that have it) or their exoskeleton. Or I've gotten my terms mixed up here (as the last time I took any sort of bio class was sophomore year in high school), and both of those mean the same thing (or something completely different entirely).
    A few odds and ends.