New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Think of them as a flock of cute playful birds! They are my favourite unit across all three races. But seriously, you should have just massed marine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Ok, one... HOPE U HAD HAPPY DE PUPAEING CELEBRATION!

Pheonixes AND zealots. THAT eats mass marine. Because Z-CHARGE BARGLE.

Oh, oh... I know youre working, I should be working... but... IS MYX ON? I propose, if possible, a zerg threeway. Because we all like zerg the most, apperently.
    That's what he did. >.< I went mass marine, but then you got damn High Templars with Psionic Storm! Only reason I went Thor was because Phoenix can't lift them up!!

Robin Williams' comedy is eminently attendable, and my mouth is eminently effluent. I see your dilemma. I think you made the right choice.

Yes, is Mynxae afoot? Or is he trolloping about with some abtastic floozy again? I could go for a threeway if he is *cough*, although I feel in more of a Probetoss mood this evening than a Zerge.
    ABS ARE GOOOOOD. Dunno about threeways. COMPLICATED, those can be. Game now, or wait for Myx? Or should I go work? DECISIONS!
    Myx and AT too, have commented on my apperent lunacy. Myx attributes it to mind altering chemicals, AT just just submits to the idiocy.

I apologize for not being there, if you came. I left to do ze work, and watch TV, and ask brother about movie he saw. That as well. I am sorry id I have left you hanging. We really must proposition Myx for this three people funtime. Excuse my terrible innuendo writing. I am bad at it... LIKE YOU COULD DO BETTER! ANGRY JEALOUS!
    I'm here, I'm here! And hey! I have no abtastic floozies! I just wish I did. Although funny that you mention threeways.. I have the potential for one from a crush I had nearly a year ago. He's sooooo cute.

You two here for a game?! 3v3 randoms/AI?! PWEASE!

Also - Yes Sheepie, you be cray cray.
    Last edited by Mynxae; 2012-11-26 at 01:39 AM.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Poirot is a worthy timesink, I think: and approve of your indulgence. May I recommend a brisk walk for your constitution's sake? I think you will find it tonic, and return positively sanguine. It is altogether possible, in addition, that you will return having seen birds of sweet song and gaudy plumage refreshing to the senses.

Also, I should like to point out that it is going to -29 C this evening. A walk may be in short order for myself.
    Unfortunately, I tire rather easily from walking. Though, a very short walk is in the realm of possibility, there would be little to see.
    I am starting to feel much better now that I've eaten. Part of my problem I feel is that I don't eat enough.

Oh, and I've looked at the bananas, and apart from the one that has already flowered and is yielding fruit, two of the others have just begun to flower.
    Despite not really eating bananas, this makes me happy.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I got around to reading Titus Andronicus and I gotta say...

Really guys? Complaining about Romeo and Juliet? This crap puts that in perspective. Titus Andronicus makes Romeo and Juliet look like Shakespeare. Honestly it was crap. I'm not a squeamish prude or anything, I just like my atrocities and gore to have dramatic weight and not feel incredibly juvenile.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    That's what he did. >.< I went mass marine, but then you got damn High Templars with Psionic Storm! Only reason I went Thor was because Phoenix can't lift them up!!

I'm here, I'm here! And hey! I have no abtastic floozies! I just wish I did. Although funny that you mention threeways.. I have the potential for one from a crush I had nearly a year ago. He's sooooo cute.

You two here for a game?! 3v3 randoms/AI?! PWEASE!

Also - Yes Sheepie, you be cray cray.
    Sheepsicle seems to have retired for the night, you thunder-down-under playboy, as will I very shortly. Alas our threesome must wait a little longer still.

Unfortunately, I tire rather easily from walking. Though, a very short walk is in the realm of possibility, there would be little to see.
    I am starting to feel much better now that I've eaten. Part of my problem I feel is that I don't eat enough.

Oh, and I've looked at the bananas, and apart from the one that has already flowered and is yielding fruit, two of the others have just begun to flower.
    Despite not really eating bananas, this makes me happy.
    That makes me happy as well! May I convince you to post some pictures of the process? The Biology department kept a banana tree in a corner of the library for a long time, and it did come to flower once, but they never fruited. I should very much like to have a glimpse of its life cycle.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-11-27 at 01:39 PM. Reason: I removed my bitchy late-night reply.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

Sheepsicle seems to have retired for the night, you thunder-down-under playboy, as will I very shortly. Alas our threesome must wait a little longer still.
    /sadface Sleep well then, my friend. Give your budgies a cuddle from me!

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eon View Post
    Working on it. Dang it Eon, stop worrying about everything

Perhaps I should try eating more cookies.
    Yha, stop your worry worting. And eat more cookies, this is an answer that is always true.

You live far, far away from Francophone communities that will look down their patrician noses at you for your linguistic shortcomings, fortunately.
    Glad to see we're of the same opinion of the Bloq Party

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    /sadface Sleep well then, my friend. Give your budgies a cuddle from me!
    Okay I will, goodnight Mink's-eye.

[Mabel wants to know if she can make a nest in your hair]

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Ooh, brűlé.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-11-26 at 02:34 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ettin in the Playground

That makes me happy as well! May I convince you to post some pictures of the process? The Biology department kept a banana tree in a corner of the library for a long time, and it did come to flower once, but they never fruited. I should very much like to have a glimpse of its life cycle.
    I shall have to persuade my Mum to lend me her camera. But it could conceivably be done.
    If you did not live in the far and distant realm of Canada, I'd merely say to come round and look at them yourself, but alas, an impulsive flight to Australia is not the wisest use of money, particularly as they take some time to go through the whole process. So I shall be dutiful and take some photos every so often as they develop. And of course, of the resulting high potassium bounty.

It likely did not bear fruit because it didn't like growing indoors or the climate was all wrong for it. Could have been a variety incapable of parthenocopy, and thus not an edible variety anyway.

Also, interesting fact: A truckload of bananas produces enough radiation to set off alarms at US border crossings. Link.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #1269

Ooh, brűlé.
    No idea what that means : D

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Actually when something crashes a Mini, unless the crashing object is a truck or a Ford Explorer or a Hummer or a Humvee the Mini is the most likely to suffer the least damage. The Toyota that crashed me was made crap, including lost of front light, need for complete replacement of hood and passenger side door while I had a slight bump on the back part of the car (which since he had to pay for repairs meant it was going to be replaced instead of just ironed back).
    Well, I suppose there could be a point to building small cars rigidly in order to not get completely squashed in front to front collisions, but if I were to choose a car to crash into a bridge or fall from the 11th floor with, I'd pick the Toyota any day of the weak. The fundamental law about car crashes is that it's either you or the car, and you have no use for an almost whole car when you're dead.

I'm unaware of leg lengths, the owner's manual recommends a maximum of 4 persons, two in the front and two on the back, which does allow long legged people to be comfortable from experience; 5 which is the logical safety belt limit however does have limitations; 8 which is the borderline illegal case on certain zones is probably a lot less.
    I fail to see how 5 should be any worse than 4, except possibly for the 5th guy. Also, I doubt that you'd get both leg space and a sizeable luggage compartment out of such a short car when you're packing 4 persons in it.

I may be slightly biased given my Mini mouse-pad, keyring, jacket, t-shirt, pants, belt, Lifetime Membership, car, lab robe, pen set and watch.
    Nah, I fail to see how that possibly could be the case.

Perhaps that’s why it’s so funny to me, the contrast between the serious business noir style and the FAT SOCIALLY AWKWARD PIGEON; and Teddy would totally be friends with him but his pigeon-brain is fixated on the waxwings.
    Hehehe. Bonus points if the pidgeon panel(s) are drawn meme-style.

Tee hee hee, rowan berry wars. That’s great.
    Eyup.

I… I think I get your drift. You’re saying I should eat a bunch of fermented rowan berries, right? Good times?
    Not unless you managed to put a good distance between yourself and all windows first. It was a reference to how YOLO is used as an excuse to be trashy, stupid and irresponsible, and so many birds figure it's a good idea to fly at a really high speed after inebriation. And then they suddenly wish to make friends with a window...

Actually their winter berries are partly why I want to plant one. My garden still lacks colour in the winter, and those bright orange clusters would really leaven the monotony. – besides the double duty of attracting birds, of course, and their beauty in the summer. If I had more space, I would plant lilacs and plums and Nanking cherries, all whose blossoms are suffusive perfume in the spring.
    Such a noble endeavour, but would your garden have enough space for all those trees? It didn't look all to large in those picture you posted of it, and most of the space was already claimed by the flowerbeds...

Okay, so basically if I steep hot wine with clove and cardamom, and sweeten it, I can approximate the stuff?
    Basically, yes. I found a site with few recipies, so I'm going to translate and transcribe the most classical one for your interest.

Classical glögg:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • 0,75 l red wine
    • 2 pc cinnamon stick
    • 8 pc clove
    • 12 pc cardamom seed
    • 5 tsp granulated sugar
    • 1,5 dl vodka

First, heat the wine and seasoning carefully in a pot and mix in the sugar until it has dissolved. It's suggested that you put it away and let it rest over the night so that the wine can absorb as much of the seasoning as possible.

Add the vodka and heat it carfully until it almost boils, and serve it in small cups or glasses together with almonds and raisins (you might want to filter the solid parts out of the drink before this step).
    Since a single batch is good enough for 15 glasses, I doubt the prudence of drinking it all in one go. The recipe doesn't say how to prepare it for storage, but I think you could just add the vodka and put it in the liquor cabinet to heat and serve at a later time.

I don't know enough of what effects a prolonged exposure to the seasoning will have on the brew, so I can't tell if it'd become better or worse from keeping them in the bottle during storage.

I did not know that ombudsman was a Swedish word. My boss works regularly with the city’s ombudsman, and I’ve never been able to get my head around it. What does the ombuds- part mean?
    "ombud" translates to representative or delegate. An ombudsman (which, by the way, should be pronounciated more like "ommbuudsmann" and not "oombuudsmann". I'm not quite sure about what I was thinking back there) is someone who represents a (vulnerable) group or interest, such as children or consumers or justice, in official contexts and speaks in their stead.

You will find a curiosity among Anglo-Canadians – a phenomenon I have noticed – about how our accent sounds in other languages, probably because of the variety of accents we confront daily due to the nature of our country. Have you known any Canadians who speak Swedish? Do we do okay?
    Well, we had a Canadian exchange student over for a year two years ago, but she didn't speak much Swedish, so I didn't really pick up her accent. Still, most of those who come from an English speaking country will carry a rather heavy accent for the rest of their lives, so I guess it would be the same for a Canadian.

You consistently fill my head with vivid images. Against this bleak chrome tableau I perceive the lustrous rebellion of a silk twill scarf tied about the neck, as red as rose petals and cherries and covered in tiny drops of teal and gold and white – which defeats the drudge by using it to set itself off.
    It knows it will suffer the same dissolution as the world around it, but it puts up resistance and fights nevertheless, refusing to give up its will to live and last.

[it is today, the 25th]
    Oh no! I couldn't tell what day your birtday would be at, so I put off my congratulations until I'd get any more information, and accidently forgot about it all when it was time to go to bed.

Belated congratulations, good sir!

Also, I noticed the link in your signature. My most common reaction to an image was "Wow, that's a lot of budgies", and some where rather cute, but my personal favourite is the last picture in the slideshow. A bare tree, revitalised by a swarm of budgies, brought back to its days of former glory.

Oh, imagine what I could do with such assets. I am become life, reincarnater of worlds.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Also, I noticed the link in your signature. My most common reaction to an image was "Wow, that's a lot of budgies", and some where rather cute, but my personal favourite is the last picture in the slideshow. A bare tree, revitalised by a swarm of budgies, brought back to its days of former glory.

Oh, imagine what I could do with such assets. I am become life, reincarnater of worlds.
    I would not call that a bare tree. It still holds on if only to provide shelter to the birds who care not for its fading life.

And if you do have such assets, don't come here and use them. Periods of drought followed by fire and hopefully rain are necessary for health of much of our wilderness.
    (Never set gum trees on fire if you want to get rid of them. I mean... Seriously, don't. They tried it in Florida and made the situation worse.)

Furthermore, if there is too much green matter built up, should you depart it will merely dry and produce an inferno the likes of which would have inspired Dante had he lived here.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-11-26 at 06:58 AM.

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Troll in the Playground

Had a bachelor's this weekend. It showed me that I am not as young anymore as I thought I still was. And also that my group of friends can be really imaginatively nasty when they want to be.

Oh, and also I spent a night in jail. That was fun.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Titus Andronicus makes Romeo and Juliet look like Shakespeare.
    lulwut.

Belated happy birthday to Kneenibble.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ettin in the Playground

Happy Birthday Kneenibble! I hope you had a flocking good time! ^_^

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Troll in the Playground

... I didn't know there WAS a variety of opinions on Quebecious Independi French Word Speeling. zthere have been TV ADS about the 'ancient history of the city', and I go ''Its 4 centuries old, and only the first hundred are cool''. Because Champlain blah blah blah. So I mock it. Mock it for silliness. Only Quebecians have differing opinions.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Really guys? Complaining about Romeo and Juliet? This crap puts that in perspective. Titus Andronicus makes Romeo and Juliet look like Shakespeare. Honestly it was crap. I'm not a squeamish prude or anything, I just like my atrocities and gore to have dramatic weight and not feel incredibly juvenile.
    While Titus Andronicus is generally considered one of Shakespeare's lesser plays, it still deserves a degree of respect. Also, most of the complaints about Romeo and Juliet stem from the fact that we keep hearing it's a perfect love story, while in reality it's about two stupid teenagers whose mutual crush leads to several deaths in a short period of time.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Titus Andronicus is considered by some to be a parody of the rather bloodthirsty plays that preceded it. Some of the Greek tragedies racked up quite the bodycount too.
    Last edited by Capt Spanner; 2012-11-26 at 08:44 AM. Reason: WRONG THREAD!

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Troll in the Playground

Titus Andronicus is great.

Titus, with Anthony Hopkins, is also great. And very trippy and really quite odd.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ogre in the Playground

Primarily Canadians learn Foreignese so that we don't have to apologize for making other people speak English.
    It's more that we made everyone speak English 150 years ago and they never got round to stopping...

... guys. He just said' HEY HEY (YA GODDAMN TOURIST)! This is the Eiffel Tower, sir.Please stop eating it.'

Heh. And we thnk they're all pus cheese eating surrender monkeys, even though they have the...somewhere in the top 10 militaries and a... Decent (really, they only lose against Germany, cuz Ze Germans are Awesome) military record.

Hmn... Ehhh, I myself be a mere Englishman, give me thy wine! ROSBIF ROSBIF!. Am I close?
    There's a double-f in Rosbiff

Ion, I dealyed my journey back to uni from my girlfriends house to this morning, in the vain hope the trains would have resumed normal service. When the train stopped for a while due to signal problems I worried 'will I make it to my 2pm lecture?', then I remembered that the lecture was at 3 (every week...) Later, when the replacement bus was stuck in traffic, I was concerned about having time to eat before 3, a worry that piled onto my travel sickness. In the end, not only did I get back to Exeter in plenty of time but my 3pm lecture was cancelled because the lecturer couldn't make it in because of the weather.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I suppose there could be a point to building small cars rigidly in order to not get completely squashed in front to front collisions, but if I were to choose a car to crash into a bridge or fall from the 11th floor with, I'd pick the Toyota any day of the weak. The fundamental law about car crashes is that it's either you or the car, and you have no use for an almost whole car when you're dead.
    Why would I want to crash into a bridge or fall from heights?

Those are the actually completely avoidable accidents, the ones where it's wholly dependant on your input and not on some mentally degraded bloke's driving skill. As for falling, the car compressing is not even relevant because gravity affects equally all of the bodies in it, you will touch the floor at almost the same speed either way.
    I fail to see how 5 should be any worse than 4, except possibly for the 5th guy. Also, I doubt that you'd get both leg space and a sizeable luggage compartment out of such a short car when you're packing 4 persons in it.
    The second row becomes a lot cramped; 2 in the back enter rather comfortably, 3 get cramped and the 3 are slightly uncomfortable.

The trunk is magic, it fits more things than it should be able to; it just does.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Titan in the Playground

I would not call that a bare tree. It still holds on if only to provide shelter to the birds who care not for its fading life.
    A tree should have a sizeable amount of leaves (or needles). If not, it's bare according to my defitions. And that tree definitely lacked a sizeable amount of leaves.

And if you do have such assets, don't come here and use them. Periods of drought followed by fire and hopefully rain are necessary for health of much of our wilderness.
    (Never set gum trees on fire if you want to get rid of them. I mean... Seriously, don't. They tried it in Florida and made the situation worse.)

Furthermore, if there is too much green matter built up, should you depart it will merely dry and produce an inferno the likes of which would have inspired Dante had he lived here.
    I am become life and death, undisputed master of worlds.

Why would I want to crash into a bridge or fall from heights?

Those are the actually completely avoidable accidents, the ones where it's wholly dependant on your input and not on some mentally degraded bloke's driving skill. As for falling, the car compressing is not even relevant because gravity affects equally all of the bodies in it, you will touch the floor at almost the same speed either way.
    Just because an accident is avoidable doesn't mean you'd be able to avoid it at all times...

Also, as for the car falling, yes, the car compressing is highly relevant. The reason to why the cars are built to compress in the first case is because it breakes the impact, reducing the forces on the passengers, and thereby reducing the lethality. Falling in a rigid car would be like falling without a car to start with, i.e. 11 floors will with all probability kill you. Falling in a modern, compressing car from the same hight, while still dangerous, is something you actually would survive in most of the cases.

Show

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Um, what?
    I have no words.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ettin in the Playground

Just because an accident is avoidable doesn't mean you'd be able to avoid it at all times...
    If I myself get into an avoidable accident and die due to it then good riddance; the idea of avoidability presupposes the fact that if it happens it is due to idiocy.
    Also, as for the car falling, yes, the car compressing is highly relevant. The reason to why the cars are built to compress in the first case is because it breakes the impact, reducing the forces on the passengers, and thereby reducing the lethality. Falling in a rigid car would be like falling without a car to start with, i.e. 11 floors will with all probability kill you. Falling in a modern, compressing car from the same hight, while still dangerous, is something you actually would survive in most of the cases.
    The car will only compress on the front and the back, the part bellow has nothing to compress and it'd be fully on the suspension to cushion the fall.

Unless you mean the car will fall front forward.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

24. - Top - End - #1284

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Um, what?
    I have no words.
    I do!

Generally, Titus Andronicus is considered on of Shakespeare's 'worst' plays, so when people start complaining how 'bad' Romeo and Juliet is, this makes AllIWantIsCrunk remember Titus Andronicus which, in his opinion, deserves more bashing than Romeo and Juliet. So from his perspective Romeo and Juliet is Good Shakespeare like the Henriad, the tragedies etc. etc.

Granted my first thoughts upon reading that post (having missed the previous Shakespeare discussion, and therefore finding this post in isolation with 'lolwut' as a response was:
    ::systemcrash::
    :reboot:

As far as the content of the original post goes: generally Titus is now seen to be a parody of a specific genre of theatre: the revenge play. Specifically the revenge tragedies as first written by Seneca. In this sense Shakespeare's actually anticipating Jacobean theatre, as well as parodying his (and his contemporaries) own plays, as Senecan tragedy became insanely popular during the early Jacobean period.
    Hell, The Duchess of Malfi (first performed c. 1612), one of my favourite plays of all time specifically goes all out to parody the recent trends in Jacobean theatre as well as it theatrical precedents.
    Duchess and Titus are sister-plays in that respect and definitely deserve the recent attention they have been receiving both in academic and theatrical circles.

Yes. I have returned after two days of absence - during which I suffered from an appalling cold/migraine combo because, as it turns out, standing knee deep in flood water barely above freezing in the middle of a very cold night for a couple of hours is generally not good for your health.
    And the first thing I do is write a small essay advocating the comparatively lesser known plays of the late Elizabethan and early Jacobean plays.
    My life.

At least I managed to avoid outright complaining about Romeo and Juliet sweet Heavens above I strongly dislike that play!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

25. - Top - End - #1285

Romeo and Juliet is a parody of romance

26. - Top - End - #1286

Romeo and Juliet is a parody of romance
    NOOOOOOOO!!!11! 'Tis about the folly of youth (although various critics have postulated ROmeo is anywhere between seventeen and thirty, and Juliet is almost assuredly thirteen or fourteen at most) and first passions; and could perhaps even be read as being a discussion about the place love has in political alliances and politics in general!
    I don't like Romeo and Juliet because (logically (and yes, me talking about logic is silly))if Romeo and Juliet had even thought to approach their parents about this it could have worked out. How were feuds between families/houses worked out even a few years ago in Western Europe? Marry people off!
    There was a chance they could have had it.
    But no, they had to murder and elope and be stupid.
    Romeo and Juliet is, like so many works of the fifteenth to seventeenth centuries (and beyond), concerned with the imbalance of passions in rulers. Notably, many works by Scots Makers (prounce: Mackers), and of course, the Great Divorce.
    And for it to be taught in school only as a romance (when in actuality it was first called An Excellent Conceited Tragedie of Romeo and Juliet) and a 'perfect' romance is demeaning to the subtleties of the play when you take into context its literary and historical context.

Of course, I also dislike the play for its content as well as its treatment by teachers and whatnot.

EDIT:
    Although, honestly, given literary criticism I could just as easily back up your claim (even though I've made it my entire life; including do a special paper on Shakespeare without reading more then ten lines of that play - and that at a tutorial about the play) as any other.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2012-11-26 at 01:41 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ogre in the Playground

That's essentially what Zodi was saying, I think, although "satire" is probably a more accurate term than "parody". Yes, Romeo and Juliet are stupid; that's the point.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

If I myself get into an avoidable accident and die due to it then good riddance; the idea of avoidability presupposes the fact that if it happens it is due to idiocy.
    Or that you weren't prepared for the occation. Blaming all accidents on stupidity isn't constructive, especially if you aim to eliminate them.

The car will only compress on the front and the back, the part bellow has nothing to compress and it'd be fully on the suspension to cushion the fall.

Unless you mean the car will fall front forward.
    Cars are front heavy (unless you put a metric ton in the trunk). The car will fall front forward. The eleven storey house is just a model of comparison.

Show

29. - Top - End - #1289

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    NOOOOOOOO!!!11! 'Tis about the folly of youth (although various critics have postulated ROmeo is anywhere between seventeen and thirty, and Juliet is almost assuredly thirteen or fourteen at most) and first passions; and could perhaps even be read as being a discussion about the place love has in political alliances and politics in general!
    I don't like Romeo and Juliet because (logically (and yes, me talking about logic is silly))if Romeo and Juliet had even thought to approach their parents about this it could have worked out. How were feuds between families/houses worked out even a few years ago in Western Europe? Marry people off!
    There was a chance they could have had it.
    But no, they had to murder and elope and be stupid.
    Romeo and Juliet is, like so many works of the fifteenth to seventeenth centuries (and beyond), concerned with the imbalance of passions in rulers. Notably, many works by Scots Makers (prounce: Mackers), and of course, the Great Divorce.
    And for it to be taught in school only as a romance (when in actuality it was first called An Excellent Conceited Tragedie of Romeo and Juliet) and a 'perfect' romance is demeaning to the subtleties of the play when you take into context its literary and historical context.

Of course, I also dislike the play for its content as well as its treatment by teachers and whatnot.

EDIT:
    Although, honestly, given literary criticism I could just as easily back up your claim (even though I've made it my entire life; including do a special paper on Shakespeare without reading more then ten lines of that play - and that at a tutorial about the play) as any other.
    Yha, satire is probably the better term for it, but parody could also work. Thanks to basically proving my point

The only play we studied in school was...none of them.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ettin in the Playground

@All this talk of plays - If no one important dies/loses everything in the end, it had better be pretty freaking funny.

Romeo and Juliet was hilarious, and everyone died in the end. It hits both of the important things I look for in stories. Whether it was really a great story (two teenagers in a bad relationship that lasted three days and ended with the deaths of 6 people) or not is largely irrelevant to how enjoyable it is as a play (especially in a performance).

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Oh, and also I spent a night in jail. That was fun.

My better judgement tells me not to ask, but I'm ignoring that for now.

This should be an interesting story. How exactly did you end up/your friends land you in jail for the night?

Also, interesting fact: A truckload of bananas produces enough radiation to set off alarms at US border crossings. Link.
    This is good to know. Looks like I need to be careful when smuggling bananas.

Excellent, excellent, you got into the "cool" crowd with their sunglasses and their scarves. You drank Americanos and played backgammon, didn't you? and talked of guitars.
    Hrm... I haven't played backgammon in a long time. That's a good game.

I'd probably have to teach them, actually.

Your vision of my dinner would make for a rather interesting movie scene, no doubt.
    A few odds and ends.