New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #870 - The Discussion Thread

Two Malack quotes of interest, in retrospect, that don't seem to have been mentioned yet:

Edited to add: Of course a desert is a very useful place to live for a creature that cannot cross running water.
    Last edited by Dr. Gamera; 2013-02-18 at 03:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    Or Malack decides to free him. I can totally see Malack disowning his new vampire child due to his behaviour
    Yeah, that's possible. Now that I think about it, it's possible that Malack is against controlling undead (or his children in particular), and would free Belkar regardless... *ponders*

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    So do standard vampires- if the victim has enough hit dice, and if they use blood drain rather than energy drain.
    Yeah, that's true. Realistically, he could be either a standard Vampire or a Vampire Lord, as they're both OGL content.
    Last edited by Goldfly; 2013-02-18 at 03:29 PM.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no, he's turning him into a fish!

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    I think one of the points with this is that Redcloak is wrong. At least partially. You can control an undead creature, but you can control a living one too. Redcloak using trickery to point Xykon in the direction he wants him to go is manipulation and control that he would use on a living Xykon as well. The Wights could be controlled with a spell, but they were weak...and wouldn't it be much the same if, say, Tsukiko had a bunch of human minions and Redcloak had used a Dominate Person spell to order them to kill her too?
    THANK YOU!!! I've been wondering for MONTHS why nobody else realizes this!
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    So honeslty the logical conclusion was "Ok, it's more likely that he is not a vampire, instead of assuming he is a vampire with a homebrewed item that makes him immune to sunlight and hides his speechbubbles".
    There is actually an oil that protects you from sun, it's in Libris Mortis. The black speech bubbles, hm, I don't know.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neopolis View Post
    There is actually an oil that protects you from sun, it's in Libris Mortis. The black speech bubbles, hm, I don't know.
    It's possible that the wavy-ness of his bubbles indicates a great deal of effort in concealing his natural voice.

I'm sure we'll be able to read this better once we're further into the story.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Neopolis View Post
    He could just have some control over his voice- Eugene did, so it's certainly plausible.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

Daemon

Well I gotta admit I did not see that coming...

The problem here is: Yes there were lots of indications that Malack was a vampire. But there was at least one thing that contradicted it. In D&D vampires that are exposed to the sun for more than two rounds are destroyed. No save. Just poof. Ash.
    The speech bubbles were another indicator that he was not a vampire or undead.

So honeslty the logical conclusion was "Ok, it's more likely that he is not a vampire, instead of assuming he is a vampire with a homebrewed item that makes him immune to sunlight and hides his speechbubbles".

Because if you argue with "has a homebrewed item that allows him to do X" you can basically argue every single theory.
    Oh maybe Tsukiko is still alive because she made herself a custom homebrewed item that raises her as a ghost or reincarnates her, or maybe she was a lich all along and just had a magic item that hid that from everyone. Including the other lich. And clearly her Xykon doll was her phylactery.
    Also Miko is clearly coming back, because you know homebrew magic item that gives her back all her paladin powers after raising her from the dead. Also she's really Jirax in disguise. Haven't you see how he only showed up after Miko supposedly "died"?

So to be honest I'm a little bit disappointed that Malack did turn out to be a vampire after all.
    This. This so much. Imagine if rich pulled something like this with mitd.

Although speech bubbles dont concern me. Sabine has normal speech bubbles.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

And there I was, thinking that Malak being a vampire was too obvious to consider and that Belkar's undeath transition theory was mostly wishful thinking. Not that I want Belkar to die as such (I still find him entertaining quite a bit). Vampirism works better than most other forms of undeath for him and doesn't remove the drama of his death quite so much. So yeah, I'm okay with this.

I do pity Malak a bit though. Powerful as he is, I suspect he doesn't know what he's getting himself into.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

I've been hoping that Malack would be a vampire.

Unfortunately, there is still that slight chance that this is an elaborate Albino-Lizardfolk mating ritual.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Although speech bubbles dont concern me. Sabine has normal speech bubbles.
    Sabine's also a shapeshifter, which should be a consideration when bringing her in for comparison.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Banned

So wait, he actually was a vampire?! How was I supposed to know? He didn't sparkle.

I apologize for that.

Also, does this mean Belkar can finally be useful (in combat)?

13. - Top - End - #163

Because if you argue with "has a homebrewed item that allows him to do X" you can basically argue every single theory.
    Well, if anyone has played the "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" adventure (and you really, really should have) then Malack could just be linked to the Dayheart...

Or, there is Liquid Night oil found in Libris Mortis. Keeps you safe from the sun for 1 hour. Super sun screen, that is. And speech bubbles are not something that can be legitimately argued.
    Last edited by Rakoa; 2013-02-18 at 03:39 PM.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

14. - Top - End - #164

Also, maybe Malack is against creating regular undead (zombies or mummies or such) because he finds mindless undead an offense to Nergal, but he considers free-willed undead as equal (or maybe even superior), to regular positive-aligned entities.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

*reads comic*

*reads title*
    *starts laughing*
    So he really is a vampire...
    Also, back in 764:
    "And Tarquin keeps telling me that if I want more children so badly, I should just find the right person and get to it, but...I don't know."
    Have you ever considered adoption? Surely your political climate produces no shortage of orphans.
    "Yes, but I'm worried about not having that, you know, special bond."
    *never stops laughing*

Also, Belkar's gonna have a totally bitchin' facial scar now.
    Last edited by DougTheHead; 2013-02-18 at 03:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Remind me to never read OotS with my cat on my lap.
    He did not appreciate it when I yelled "HOLY S***" at that last panel.
    Ow.

I honestly never saw this coming. At all. In the slightest.
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

The speech bubbles don't necessarily specify being undead (or fiendish, in Sabine's case), but sounding undead/fiendish. Since vampires and specially succubi are supposed to be able to blend in with other humanoids, it makes perfect sense that their voices are not identifiable as inhuman.

18. - Top - End - #168

MindFlayer

In Ravenloft at the very least, there is a spell that allows an undead (specifically intended for vampires iirc) to take on the appearance of a living creature by giving up his undead superpowers.

Assuming Rich is using a similar spell, Malack would be able to endure sunlight and such by giving up his draining touch, etc. - so he'd have to end the spell to turn Belkar.

Also don't forget that he has to drain Belkar's CON 1d4 at a time - it's still possible to rescue him. We really need to wait and see.

19. - Top - End - #169

"And Tarquin keeps telling me that if I want more children so badly, I should just find the right person and get to it, but...I don't know."

You know, that sounds a lot creepier now that I know what it means.

Lego Ergo Sum

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

I so did not see that coming. Holy...

Kudos.
    "Live to the point of tears." ~ Albert Camus
    Avatar by Josh L., used with permission

21. - Top - End - #171
    Colossus in the Playground

You know, I wonder when Malack was turned, and how long he's been a vampire. It's clear that the rest of his semi-retired adventuring party knows, which means that if he got turned or the rest of the group found out partway through their adventures, they still considered Malack a friend and comrade, and probably took time to accommodate for his "condition." (I'll bet they made accommodations for Tarquin when Nale was a little kid too.) I wouldn't be too surprised if, when they had gone long enough without killing enemies that Malack couldn't feed, one of them sighed and held out a wrist. For Malack's part, even though he's now a vampire and can drain the others dry, then enslave them, he won't, because Tarquin and the others are still his friends.

It's a real contrast to the dynamics of Team Evil, and I wonder how the Order will respond to a vampire Belkar...I wonder how Belkar will respond as well.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    The speech bubbles don't necessarily specify being undead (or fiendish, in Sabine's case), but sounding undead/fiendish. Since vampires and specially succubi are supposed to be able to blend in with other humanoids, it makes perfect sense that their voices are not identifiable as inhuman.
    This, precisely.

Basically, and I'm not an expert here, they have never encountered an undead creature that can pretend to be a living creature - a lich, a wight, a mummy, a zombie, fine, but all of those scream I'm freakin' undead! miles away. A vampire is not distinguishable from an ordinary humanoid, as we well know from all the vampire balls we've been on. He sounds living, he acts living, he drinks blood on occasion, that's it.
    Rich did nothing wrong, and by it I mean also that he did not cut short on info, since this should not be given, anyway.

23. - Top - End - #173

Well... I did not see that coming. I'm going to be honest, that Malack turned out to be a vampire afterall is a little disappointing, not that anyone else probably cares. It feels like a little bit too much misdirection was used to keep us from guessing up until now. It's weird for the reasonable contingent of the forum to be so fabulously wrong, and the crackpot theory contingent so astoundingly correct.

Whereas I had previously considered the case on Belkar's prophecy to be completely closed, shut, and airtight, I guess that is now wide open again too. Unless Belkar somehow escapes vampirification in the next strip, he'll be undead, and, as long as he isn't raised after the end of the in-comic year, would fulfill the green-light portion of the Oracle's prophecy about his death anyway. That said, there is still enough other Oracle-related hints that the Belkster may end up just plain ol' dead soon to make me wonder.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Really, there is a difference between guessing that maybe an extremely experienced and wealthy character could own a "homebrew" item that is a bit stronger than a typical magical item in the lists or even permanent.... and pulling random item concepts that turn characters into chuck norris - especially with no plausible explanation as to how they were acquired - out of one's ass.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Banned

You know, maybe Malack isn't a vampire. Maybe he's his own original undead template: a blampire.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

I kinda doubt Malack is a vampire lord - he's pale (unlike vampire lords), and he apparently used control winds instead of vampire lord flight here.

Hmm, I rather thought that walking around in sunlight, and no character noticing that he doesn't have a shadow was decent evidence that he wasn't a vampire. The speech bubble change is interesting. I wonder if it just means that characters have control over their voices, and Malack didn't sound undead until he let that side out. Still kinda disappointing because it adds an exception to something that was previously consistent. Hopefully we'll get a more complete explanation.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Also, I am

EXTREMELY AGGREVATED

by the fact that there has been exactly ZERO talk on what is Belkar thinking and feeling right now.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I wouldn't be too surprised if, when they had gone long enough without killing enemies that Malack couldn't feed, one of them sighed and held out a wrist.
    Do vampires actually need to drink blood to sustain themselves? Can't they live unlive without it?
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Originally Posted by Morquard
    Well I gotta admit I did not see that coming...

The problem here is: Yes there were lots of indications that Malack was a vampire. But there was at least one thing that contradicted it. In D&D vampires that are exposed to the sun for more than two rounds are destroyed. No save. Just poof. Ash.
    The speech bubbles were another indicator that he was not a vampire or undead.

Oh maybe Tsukiko is still alive because she made herself a custom homebrewed item that raises her as a ghost or reincarnates her, or maybe she was a lich all along and just had a magic item that hid that from everyone. Including the other lich. And clearly her Xykon doll was her phylactery.
    Also Miko is clearly coming back, because you know homebrew magic item that gives her back all her paladin powers after raising her from the dead. Also she's really Jirax in disguise. Haven't you see how he only showed up after Miko supposedly "died"?

So to be honest I'm a little bit disappointed that Malack did turn out to be a vampire after all.
    Again, Vampire Lords can survive sunlight. Rich isn't responsible for your ignorance of D&D class features. Vampires have always been able to survive sunlight, ever since Bram Stoker wrote Dracula. Count Dracula is constantly walking around in sunlight, and he's only a little temporarily weakened. Probably the same thing happens with Malack, who appears weak in the sunlight but is proving resourceful in the darkness of the dungeon.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

Side note, the interaction between Malack's presumed predilection to bite on the neck and Belkar's massively oversized head is hilarious.