New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXVI: 'P' is for 'Ponythread'!

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Heh, makes me miss the Red Bull Angels.
    (My previous job was at a college campus and every couple of months these two ladies would show up to give free Red Bull samples. I got to know them and they would hook me up with the stuff cheap. Red Bull got me through many comission projects)

Future episodes!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Filli: I'm hoping that Shy gets to sing in a genre completely out of character, such as rock music. Though a band name of "Ponytones" sounds more like classical or something.

Twi Time: Yeah, what kind of popularity can you get out of Twi? I can only think it's among their classmates in a "Hey, the CMC knows the princess!" kind of popularity. ...which doesn't sound as adventerous as i'd hoped.

Indeed! Musing over This Saturday's episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something I started to think about this morning~ Has Cadance met Discord yet? She might not have and if so maybe that could lead to some interesting dialog. The other three princesses seem to annoyingly tollerate his antics, but Cadance seems to be more lighthearted, so maybe she'll like him.

If I think of more, i'll post them.
    I once ran a dungeon crawl in the spirit of Portal. The 'Cave Johnson' of the dungeon was a bored elemental spirit that filled the dungeon with treasure just to attract adventurers for entertainment. It was like Tomb of Horrors played for comedy. Good times.

Yeah! My boss showed me pics of one that did bases and set pieces for cakes. Crazy awesome designs came out of that machine.
    Spoiler: Future Spoilers
    Show
    I don't know, the name Ponytones makes me think of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. So perhaps we get Fluttershy singing ska?
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

I once ran a dungeon crawl in the spirit of Portal. The 'Cave Johnson' of the dungeon was a bored elemental spirit that filled the dungeon with treasure just to attract adventurers for entertainment. It was like Tomb of Horrors played for comedy. Good times.
    yesssssssssssss
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

(My previous job was at a college campus and every couple of months these two ladies would show up to give free Red Bull samples. I got to know them and they would hook me up with the stuff cheap. Red Bull got me through many comission projects)

Future episodes!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Filli: I'm hoping that Shy gets to sing in a genre completely out of character, such as rock music. Though a band name of "Ponytones" sounds more like classical or something.

Twi Time: Yeah, what kind of popularity can you get out of Twi? I can only think it's among their classmates in a "Hey, the CMC knows the princess!" kind of popularity. ...which doesn't sound as adventerous as i'd hoped.

Indeed! Musing over This Saturday's episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something I started to think about this morning~ Has Cadance met Discord yet? She might not have and if so maybe that could lead to some interesting dialog. The other three princesses seem to annoyingly tollerate his antics, but Cadance seems to be more lighthearted, so maybe she'll like him.

Yeah! My boss showed me pics of one that did bases and set pieces for cakes. Crazy awesome designs came out of that machine.
    if Cadence hasn't met Discord yet, and she does end up liking him, more then the other princesses, i think that would end because discord being discord would try something, that would try to bring chaos to Equastria.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Show
    I don't know, the name Ponytones makes me think of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. So perhaps we get Fluttershy singing ska?
    Spoiler
    Show
    As much as that would be several varieties of awesome, the name "Ponytones" makes me think an a capella or barbershop quartet-style group.

Speaking of singing, I still want my Rarity/Sweetie Belle duet, dagnabbit!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

*continues rewatch of Pokemon*

*watches episode where they meet a trainer called Trixie*

*who works in a circus as a stage magician*

I... don't... even...

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

well i think that is apart of the idea of using the name, Trixie, after all magicians use tricks.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

I... don't... even...
    But...was she great and powerful?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    But...was she great and powerful?
    Isn't she always?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Show
    Future Spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heh, I have no problems with Shy singing some ska.
    Certainly would be different!

I'm also picturing Apple Bloom with a leaf blower that has a roll of TP attached to the end of it (saw it at a ska performance once)

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieredraghi View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    if Cadence hasn't met Discord yet, and she does end up liking him, more then the other princesses, i think that would end because discord being discord would try something, that would try to bring chaos to Equastria.
    Saturday's Episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    I guess we'll see. Maybe Discord will keep his chaos low-profile if Cadance befriends him, just because ponies don't really appreciate his antics. I think Pinkie's love of chocolate rain was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I... don't... even...
    well i think that is apart of the idea of using the name, Trixie, after all magicians use tricks.
    Yeah, that was my thought. Probably just coincidence due to name punnery.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

random thought:
    It has been reported that every recorded US government shutdown year has brought about a snowy winter. And sure enough, this winter.... *looks at snow around

Conclusion: Windigos....

And on future pony:
    Spoiler
    Show

I wouldn't mind some scatpony (the music style, not the other horribly inappropriate meaning)

although.... which pony would make the best scatpony?
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2014-01-23 at 11:55 AM.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    random thought:
    It has been reported that every recorded US government shutdown year has brought about a snowy winter. And sure enough, this winter.... *looks at snow around

And on furture pony:
    Spoiler
    Show

I wouldn't mind some scatpony (the music style, not the other horribly inappropriate meaning)

where the snow then were i am at. * looks outside sunny in the high 50's low 60's*

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

For whatever reason it's Monster Arnold Palmers here (tea + lemonade... + awful, awful energy drink),
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #133

Huh, that's actually an interesting thought.

* looks outside sunny in the high 50's low 60's*
    Can it snow in your area? I know it doesn't where I live, but it was 37F this morning and that's pretty darn cold for my area (and no I don't deny that I'm a wuss under the cold weather).

Spoiler
    Show

And on future pony:
    Spoiler
    Show

Future Episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pinkie seems natural for speaking fast-paced nonsense so I'd reckon she would be a fit. Maybe Rainbow Dash in second place...

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    For whatever reason it's Monster Arnold Palmers here (tea + lemonade... + awful, awful energy drink),
    Red Bull leaves this weird aftertaste on my tongue. How to describe it? Like drinking alka-seltzer out of a fresh baby diper. Yet I still enjoy it for the buzz so... I'm weird.

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: Speaking of Red Bull~
    Spoiler
    Show

The cutie mark sells this.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2014-01-23 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Nighmare Moon Said So
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

just becuase i live in arizona doesn't mean i can't get snow. so ya i do get snow here some times.

15. - Top - End - #135

Let's talk Windigos shall we?
    The show associates them with winter and famine, which is in-line with the myths. You know what they left off? And you know what makes it weirder that they take the form of ponies?

We're talking ick, so fair warning.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The myth is extremely closely tied in with cannibalism, and the spirits can possess the living to crave the flesh of the living... or you turn into one through cannibalism.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

The show associates them with winter and famine, which is in-line with the myths. You know what they left off? And you know what makes it weirder that they take the form of ponies?

Spoiler
    Show
    The myth is extremely closely tied in with cannibalism, and the spirits can possess the living to crave the flesh of the living... or you turn into one through cannibalism.
    ergo watch the early shows of supernatural!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    so i just saw a trailer for Peabody & Sherman(next Dreamworks film)
    is it ok if i squeed excessively?

and to those that do not know who Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman are w/o looking it up on wiki....
    Get off muh lawn you durn kids!!!
    I remember seeing a couple of old episodes at my Grandparents house once, along with some Rocky and Bullwinkle, still definitely not my era but I wasn't oblivious to its existence when the trailer came out.

I'm looking forward to it as well, I'm really not sure why since most of Dreamworks' newer stuff never really interested me, (along with most recent animated movies, really) but this one actually looks pretty good.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

18. - Top - End - #138

just becuase i live in arizona doesn't mean i can't get snow.
    I'm unfamilair with Arizona, so I had to ask.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wendys? Go!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I remember reading a bit about them. Tall, lanky, lacking lips... Turning into a Wendigo through cannibalism is the version I'm most familair with. A couple myths also give the creature a stare that can freeze you solid with fear.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #139

ergo watch the early shows of supernatural!
    The only thing I know about the show is that there's a fandom throwdown going on.

Wendys? Go!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I remember reading a bit about them. Tall, lanky, lacking lips... Turning into a Wendigo through cannibalism is the version I'm most familair with. A couple myths also give the creature a stare that can freeze you solid with fear.
    It's really a cross-section of boogy-man and yeti myths. As far as trivia mythology goes, this one is rather obscure, and I couldn't help but boggle when Pony brought it up.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

The only thing I know about the show is that there's a fandom throwdown going on.

the show is pretty good, idk what this throwdown is about, but then again i need to catch up on the show also.

21. - Top - End - #141

It's really a cross-section of boogy-man and yeti myths. As far as trivia mythology goes, this one is rather obscure, and I couldn't help but boggle when Pony brought it up.
    Pony definitely has a healthy dose of mythology. The changelings were another surprising one, somewhere between actual changeling myths and succubus creatures. And kind of adorable in their own creepy way.

Hydras, manticores, sea serpents, the spoof of the three wierd sisters... love it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #142

the show is pretty good, idk what this throwdown is about, but then again i need to catch up on the show also.
    It has something to do with a cast member's Twitter remarks agitating fans of The Canadian That Shall Not Be Named
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Barbarian in the Playground

And on future pony:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Pinkie or Twilight because both can talk fast.

Or Fluttershy under the effect of poison joke?
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

24. - Top - End - #144

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, I just picked up the first Friends Forever comic.
    Spoiler: Comic Friends Forever #1
    Show
    Not at all what I was expecting, honestly. I was expecting some sort of baking contest and confrontation between Applejack and Pinkie Pie, especially considering the cover. Instead, we get... a baking contest where they try to help an unrelated pony?

I guess I'm just not understanding the whole "Friends Forever" title. I mean, reference back to the baked bads (and perhaps Party of One, with Marine Sandwich) was amusing to see, but I'm not sure how that ties Pinkie and AJ together.

Vermouth Roux, the griffon, has some seriously strange taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I'll just go ahead and wrap this in spoiler tags, at least as much for space as for actual spoilers (the only thing potentially spoiled is my own story, but it's something)

Spoiler
    Show
    I've only read the bit that was available as a preview on deviantArt - the backstory, and I took a good number of cues from it and made sure that my story would fit, but consciously didn't reference it directly; only the movie. Moments like Celestia's remorseful "One of many" definitely reassured me that my interpretation of what Celestia would feel about Sunset leaving wasn't too far off the mark. I assume you'd have mentioned it if there were glaring contradictions of my story with the comic, so I'll be hopeful as far as that goes. It's not trivial to get the comic in Germany and I've been successfully avoiding reading scans so far; I just love to experience brand new pony on actual paper and ink too much.

The Twilight of my story is a bit older, a bit wiser and a bit more confident than the one seen in EqG - sort of how I imagine she would be like after thirty moons of princesshood. Still dorky, but less self-conscious about it now, and harder to intimidate. She lets the accusations roll off of her because she realizes they are essentially Sunset Shimmer venting in order to deal with her jealousy. And then, Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle have already butted heads; you don't beat around the bush so much after that. Also, Twilight has actually used the Elements of Harmony on Sunset Shimmer. The last pony she did that for? Luna. Who was just about the only pony not the least bit intimidated or scared of her when she showed up in Ponyville out of nowhere? Twilight Sparkle. There might be something about that moment of mental connection that makes it easier for Twilight to understand and connect with those she's saved this way.

In the end, much of this stuff is subconscious. This is how I imagine their conversation goes - the reasons aren't clear to me in detail. The Twilight Sparkle in my head differs from the one found in others, and the official one for that matter, in various ways I can't possibly all detect.

Here's something rather more worrying to me - that the story gives off an impression of being the first chapter of a larger one. Unfortunately, I don't have anything more planned. This is supposed to be it. Sunset's quest for atonement, so to speak, is supposed to be left unfulfilled on purpose. At some level of severity, the mistakes of the past stay with you forever. Forgiven, not forgotten. You just have to keep going anyway, for your own sake as much as that of those you care about.

The last line of the story is a callback to Sunset Shimmer's original plan in coming to Equestria; to get some sort of punishment that would somehow erase the guilt she feels so she can get on with her life ("After that, there would be a future."). Celestia dispels that particular hope with her verdict (though even if she had actually imprisoned or banished Sunset, she would have eventually found out that it wouldn't have helped) and then the conversation becomes about what actually works; Celestia shares her personal experiences as freely as she does as part of her own quest to atone for the mistakes she made with Sunset Shimmer ("There is no greater sin for a teacher."). The last line is supposed to show for sure that Sunset Shimmer understands that she has a future even though her guilt will never be completely erased. That's all she can hope for, and all she needs. Does that make sense?

I'm sure there's a way to make it more clear than it is, if there is need for it (it looks like it). And it's not like a continuation is out of the question - I'm just operating on a thin branch as it is because time-wise, the story is set after, most likely, the events of season four, five and all the ones yet to come. It's not even out of the question that the show itself will feature Sunset Shimmer as a pony and joss the everliving crap out of Atonement; it was only ruled out for season four officially.
    My comment about future chapters are probably thanks to the Incomplete tag on the story itself, which led me to believe that you had something more in store with this. As I said, it's a good story by itself!

Spoiler
    Show
    Interested in the classical relationship between grypons and horses?
    Or how dragons were depicted in the middle ages?
    Tales of changelings, perhaps?

I think that they're more inclined to just toss in random creatures and create their own stories for them, rather than actually implying any connection to the mythological figures. After all, the target audience isn't likely to have been reading Algonquian or folk fairy tales with much regularity.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Show
    Friends Forever Comic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are they stranger than the pizza topping choices of the old 90s Ninja Turtles cartoon?

After all, the target audience isn't likely to have been reading Algonquian or folk fairy tales with much regularity.
    Creatively could be connected under the radar for the older audience though.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2014-01-23 at 04:56 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Not at all what I was expecting, honestly. I was expecting some sort of baking contest and confrontation between Applejack and Pinkie Pie, especially considering the cover. Instead, we get... a baking contest where they try to help an unrelated pony?

I guess I'm just not understanding the whole "Friends Forever" title. I mean, reference back to the baked bads (and perhaps Party of One, with Marine Sandwich) was amusing to see, but I'm not sure how that ties Pinkie and AJ together.

I am on Team PIE!
    Last edited by cavalieredraghi; 2014-01-23 at 05:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

GnomeWizardGuy

Friends Forever Comic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are they stranger than the pizza topping choices of the old 90s Ninja Turtles cartoon?
    Show
    ...Yes.
    Frighteningly, terrifyingly yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Obtained copies of MLP#15 and Friends Forever #1.

FF#1

Spoiler
    Show
    Overall, a bit of a middling tale this one, not helped by the misleading cover! I mean, AJ wasn't even intending to compete

Some nice gags, and a weird cartoonish supervillain at the end made me figure that this episode has been influenced by Power Ponies as well. I don't think the lesson had much impact, but for a bit of lighthearted fun it delivered. Still, I do prefer to get more than that from pony.

6.5/10

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I so don't get what criteria the judges were awarding winners on, except that they always seemed to do it in inverse to how much the contestant is trying to win.

I also liked the fact that the Summer Van Der Hoof chef has spent so long making other ponies' favourite dishes that she can't figure out a simple request to make her favourite dish.

MLP #15

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, this is a second comic that seemed to be inspired directly by Power Ponies. But this one does it right.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the step up when the catipillar pods all started opening. I was expecting a story where they had to deal with a bug infestation, not one where we end up with Pony Loki, The Black Queen, Voldemort and a villainous Fabio running around. A good step up in my opinion, and brings back the fantastic and the dangerous to what otherwise would have been a very mundane plot.

Chewin' up stories and poopin out characters ... I'll never think of bookworms as the same thing again.

Also, entertaining to see the ponies and their reading material. I don't really know what's going on with the whole 'can't magic until plot resolved' aspect, but it didn't knock me out of my engagement with the story. Poor Pinkie. Also, Holy Hayballs is my new favourite pony term for surprise.

Some good promise of for the arc. Hoping that the second half delivers on the solid setup.

8/10

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

My comment about future chapters are probably thanks to the Incomplete tag on the story itself, which led me to believe that you had something more in store with this. As I said, it's a good story by itself!
    Well don't I feel silly now! I hadn't even released it, so I forgot about adjusting the status completely and never paid attention to it. Of course the tag "Incomplete" would lead a reader to the assumption that the story is incomplete. Perfectly obvious to anyone with a lick of common sense. Oh well. One can make do without. Just a bit more stressful.

I think that seals the deal, then. I'll submit it as soon as I have cover art. Ponythread comes through once again!
    Last edited by Silfir; 2014-01-23 at 05:35 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

30. - Top - End - #150

Interested in the classical relationship between grypons and horses?
    Or how dragons were depicted in the middle ages?
    Tales of changelings, perhaps?

I think that they're more inclined to just toss in random creatures and create their own stories for them, rather than actually implying any connection to the mythological figures. After all, the target audience isn't likely to have been reading Algonquian or folk fairy tales with much regularity.
    I think Wendigos go a bit beyond the usual "Some combination of sexy time and murder" personally. But at that point it's "what icks you out more".
    Spoiler
    Show