New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #945 - The Discussion Thread

Just goes to show Team Tarquin isn't all favors and lone-wolfing. They actually are, or were, a team that cared about each-other at some point, with Mirion looking out for Laurin.

Mind you, gotta wonder why Tarquin never gave Laurin the full run-down on the gates. Was he too distracted at the time? Nale's death and Elan rejecting his narrative structure must have taken a lot out of him. After all, no one's a machine- except maybe Xykon, what with being undead.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

1. Kudos to those who guessed that Laurin's favour involved the Rift.
    2. Looks like the Snarl got an art upgrade!
    3. .... oh crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rule #1: Do NOT telepathically scan the Gawd eating monstrosity thus alerting it to your presence
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    I didn't read that thread, but this magic item seems relevant. The crafting cost is pocket change for the Laurinear Guild, and it can produce 30 gallons of water every 6 seconds, without any limit or even a requirement that someone hold it after turning it on. Put it at the top of an aqueduct network (designed by Hannah, no doubt), and you have 432,000 gallons of water per day to use on irrigation and drinking over a large area. It would probably take multiple Decanters to support a large city and all of its associated farmland, but again, the price to make one is trivial on the scale of high-level adventurers and empires, and there's no upkeep or maintenance on the decanters themselves.
    It would take many more decanters than that: a square kilometer is 1,000,000 square meters. . . that's not remotely enough farmland for a city, and would, unrealistically assuming no loss to evaporation along the irrigation channels and even distribution, result in less than half a gallon per square meter per day: that's not enough to do more than drip-irrigate the least water intensive crops.

5. - Top - End - #305

Is it just me, or is Miron pulling Laurin with him as he jumps back? Could our psion be gone for good? Perhaps next strip/next book will feature her failed ressurection, and Taquin realizing she was unmade?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    See, I assumed copy-pasting stars. You put more effort in!
    You wouldn't say that if you knew how easy it is to make a new scatter brush.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

7. - Top - End - #307
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Aww laurin is a goner!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

eek Re: OOTS #945 - The Discussion Thread

Did NOT see that one coming!
    Generation 32 the first time you see this, copy it, add one to the generation number, and add it to your signature (on any forum). Social experiment.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Akari Itagami View Post
    Aww laurin is a goner!
    Well, shes not quite dead yet. I wouldn't be surprised if she was possessed or something, but Miron can be seen dragging her away from the rift.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bladequeen420 View Post
    Also looks like somthing from one of hp lovecraft's stories
    ya know, Lovecraft never really described much tentacly horror in his monsters (with the POSSIBLE exception of the Old Ones at the Mountains of Madness). Most of his eldritch monsters were just described as "indescribable". I've always felt that "writhing mess of tentacles" was just a little to mundane.
    Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

Outlandish Claim #5:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Belkar Bitterleaf isn't "playing against type", he's just a complelely normal halfling.
    No plan survives first contact with the PCs.

11. - Top - End - #311

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    So no real room for verbal trickery about Soon's and Girard's Rifts leading to different worlds.
    Thanks. Wasn't that written and distributed before we got a look through at the world through Girard's Rift, though?

You see where I'm going with that, but my idea is holding less and less water.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You guys give me way too much credit.
    The extra credit I gave you was:

[makes randomized star field]
    "Oh, that part looks like Orion's belt. People will think..."
    "Eh, let them."

Not even that was merited, sounds like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poggybinder View Post
    Try making a choice on a brisk walk or jog a good empty stomach early the actual planet morning if possible. Go to your local Wal-Mart and pick up a sauna suit shed more calories, and a pedometer observe how many calories you burn once a day.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Aolbain View Post
    Theory: The northern gate is gone and this is the Snarls starting to unmake the world.
    Recall that as of a few days ago, it seemed intact. I can't really imagine Xykon blowing it up off-camera, so I'm pretty sure it's OK so far.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toper View Post
    Recall that as of a few days ago, it seemed intact. I can't really imagine Xykon blowing it up off-camera, so I'm pretty sure it's OK so far.
    24 hours still haven't passed since that strip, believe it or not.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

14. - Top - End - #314

DruidGirl

Throwaway thoughts:

Hannah Shattersmith is supposedly in the dark about what her mother has been doing. But if Laurin's plan for the rift-ocean had gone through, how long would that have lasted? I mean, an interior decorator, no matter how well connected, isn't likely to easily get access to rifts to other worlds. And if the last plan involving the Plane of Water had advanced far enough that Hannah had been made aware of it, then putting the two together would surely get her to start asking certain questions....

Given what we've seen happening on the Mechane, the time between when Laurin got Tarquin to agree to her favor and no less than 10 minutes, but definitely less than a day. In that time frame Tarquin withdrew his whole force and Laurin put HER forces into the area. Even with the use of that Gate spell, that's impressively efficient troop movement.

However, one notices that Tarquin has left all his fallen soldiers behind to rot in the desert sand. That's cold, man.

Perhaps it is part of the ongoing ruse? The three empires are supposed to be not on friendly terms. The transfer of control over the valley could be spun as a border skirmish which Laurin's empire "won" and Tarquin's empire "lost", and the dead soldiers will be evidence of the altercation.

But that's still cold, man....

15. - Top - End - #315
    Halfling in the Playground

I know that thing just popped out of nowhere and murdered a guard, with more deaths to come probably, but...

Soo... Pretty...

Miron better haul. NOW. I can't wait to find out what happens next though.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    Throwaway thoughts:

Hannah Shattersmith is supposedly in the dark about what her mother has been doing. But if Laurin's plan for the rift-ocean had gone through, how long would that have lasted? I mean, an interior decorator, no matter how well connected, isn't likely to easily get access to rifts to other worlds. And if the last plan involving the Plane of Water had advanced far enough that Hannah had been made aware of it, then putting the two together would surely get her to start asking certain questions....

Given what we've seen happening on the Mechane, the time between when Laurin got Tarquin to agree to her favor and no less than 10 minutes, but definitely less than a day. In that time frame Tarquin withdrew his whole force and Laurin put HER forces into the area. Even with the use of that Gate spell, that's impressively efficient troop movement.

However, one notices that Tarquin has left all his fallen soldiers behind to rot in the desert sand. That's cold, man.

Perhaps it is part of the ongoing ruse? The three empires are supposed to be not on friendly terms. The transfer of control over the valley could be spun as a border skirmish which Laurin's empire "won" and Tarquin's empire "lost", and the dead soldiers will be evidence of the altercation.

But that's still cold, man....
    Even if she doesn't know the specifics of what goes on, it would be rather difficult to hide the fact that she is at the very least well connected (she was able to get her daughter work from the Weeping King, for example)
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #317

Miron's next action better be along the lines of "Calgon, take me away!"

A bowl of nice, soft soup to those who get the reference.

18. - Top - End - #318

DruidGirl

Another throwaway thought:

Laurin mentions a *new* city. Not any pre-existing city or any of their current three empires. Her plan seems to have been the establishment of a brand-new settlement where her daughter gets to be a major power-broker by lieu of being in control of the most vital resource. But why a *new* settlement, unless she wanted it to be distinct and independent from the pre-existing ongoing plan? Could this be an indication that Laurin really does, as some had previously speculated, want out of the three-empire scheme?

Or could things in the Western Continent be so chaotic and unsettled that the founding and establishment of brand new cities is still a routine thing?

(It is also notable that even if she does want out, she wants out on terms where she and/or her daughter continue to get to be wealthy, influential, and powerful, hence not just walking away right now.)

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Laurin mentions a *new* city. Not any pre-existing city or any of their current three empires. Her plan seems to have been the establishment of a brand-new settlement where her daughter gets to be a major power-broker by lieu of being in control of the most vital resource. But why a *new* settlement, unless she wanted it to be distinct and independent from the pre-existing ongoing plan? Could this be an indication that Laurin really does, as some had previously speculated, want out of the three-empire scheme?

Or could things in the Western Continent be so chaotic and unsettled that the founding and establishment of brand new cities is still a routine thing?

(It is also notable that even if she does want out, she wants out on terms where she and/or her daughter continue to get to be wealthy, influential, and powerful, hence not just walking away right now.)
    Well, im thinking that having to pump a vital resource across a large expanse of open and unprotected desert would leave it, well, exposed and unprotected. It would be hilariously easy to hold the water hostage.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    It would take many more decanters than that: a square kilometer is 1,000,000 square meters. . . that's not remotely enough farmland for a city, and would, unrealistically assuming no loss to evaporation along the irrigation channels and even distribution, result in less than half a gallon per square meter per day: that's not enough to do more than drip-irrigate the least water intensive crops.
    Hrm. Do you have any good sources on how much farmland a city might need, and what the irrigation requirements for such a city might be? I'm curious as to the feasibility of the decanter trick now.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-02-15 at 10:56 PM.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

21. - Top - End - #321
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

calling it
    Spoiler
    Show
    next page is a big splash page of the world from space, and the threads of the snarl rising up from the desert " end of book"

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    The Rifts are in wildly different places on the Order's planet. Why shouldn't they be in wildly different places on the Snarl's planet?
    A matter of scale. The distance required to see an entire planet the way Blackwing did when he looked into the rift is something along the lines of an order of magnitude greater than any possible straight line distance on the surface of a planet. Putting it simply, no matter how far Girard's rift was from Soon's on the Order of the Stick's world, their exits in the other world were several hundred-thousand miles further apart than that.
    I am... no one.

23. - Top - End - #323

Founding a new community around a recently discovered source of a valuable material (gold, oil, potable water) is a thing that still happens today, so I see no reason that it wouldn't happen here (if it weren't for the Snarl, natch).

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Hrm. Do you have any good sources on how much farmland a city might need, and what the irrigation requirements for such a city might be? I'm curious as to the feasibility of the decanter trick now.
    With sufficient decanters, yes, the trick is viable. But at that point, why are you not using resetting traps of Create Food and Water to feed your population (with prestidigitation traps for the foodies)?
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaska'Agathas View Post
    With sufficient decanters, yes, the trick is viable. But at that point, why are you not using resetting traps of Create Food and Water to feed your population (with prestidigitation traps for the foodies)?
    Oh, you can totally put together enough decanters to do the irrigation trick, yeah. I'm just wondering if it'd be prohibitively expensive even for one city.

You can create resetting traps of Create Food and Water?
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-02-15 at 11:09 PM.

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

By the way... did anyone notice the giant did not mark this thread with a smiley? Quite suspicious and foreboding....

Or not.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2014-02-15 at 11:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

She might just want to establish a city Hannah could live in (and be successful in) away from the empires. Not necessarily one where Laurin would also live.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2014-02-15 at 11:11 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

27. - Top - End - #327

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    It varies a ton based on crops, soil quality, and other local conditions. That's about all I could determine from the websites I Googled up.

However, most crops have a relatively short period of their growing cycle (a matter of weeks) where having lots of water is truly critical. Storing water in a reservoir for most of the year and dispensing it to the irrigation aqueducts during the growing season would be one solution. And, to be perfectly honest, even if you need dozens of decanters to hydrate a zero-water desert city, building and maintaining the aqueducts and irrigation channels is going to be the bulk of the cost; the magic items are a relatively cheap one-time investment.

ETA: I was deliberately ignoring the Create Food and Water trap idea. Yes, for less than the wealth-by-level of the 5th-level cleric who has the prerequisites to make it, it's possible to make a "trap" that creates enough food and water to feed 15 people for a day, and can be triggered once every 6 seconds.

It's not the most broken thing you can do with 3.5 trap-creation rules, either.
    Last edited by Everyl; 2014-02-15 at 11:18 PM.
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

28. - Top - End - #328

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaska'Agathas View Post
    Founding a new community around a recently discovered source of a valuable material (gold, oil, potable water) is a thing that still happens today, so I see no reason that it wouldn't happen here (if it weren't for the Snarl, natch).
    Well, usually in the real world, when a new valuable resource is found, people come to exploit it and a community organically grows around those people, and the services they themselves require. Whether the community becomes a city depends on lots of factors including the value of the resource, the ease with which it can be exported back to the markets that need it, how much of the resource there is, whether it is more economical to establish a large community on-site or instead to come, extract, leave, and return, and so forth.

This model applied to the comic situation would be for water merchants to come to the rift, extract and de-salinate water, and then ship it back out to other places in the Western Continent to sell. (This of course raises the issue of protecting that resource in transit that was brought up in another post)

But Laurin seems to be talking about something far more pre-planned than that, she says "enough water to *support* a new city", as if her plans were for the water to be primarily used in-situ, by the people of the new city. So it isn't as much as a commercial venture that organically grows into a city, but a plan already envisioned to create a new city, and a search for/attempt to create the necessary resources to do so. Like when Pharaoh Akenaten decided to build a new capital city (Amarna) in the middle of the desert for religious reasons.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    It varies a ton based on crops, soil quality, and other local conditions. That's about all I could determine from the websites I Googled up.

However, most crops have a relatively short period of their growing cycle (a matter of weeks) where having lots of water is truly critical. Storing water in a reservoir for most of the year and dispensing it to the irrigation aqueducts during the growing season would be one solution. And, to be perfectly honest, even if you need dozens of decanters to hydrate a zero-water desert city, building and maintaining the aqueducts and irrigation channels is going to be the bulk of the cost; the magic items are a relatively cheap one-time investment.

ETA: I was deliberately ignoring the Create Food and Water trap idea. Yes, for less than the wealth-by-level of the 5th-level cleric who has the prerequisites to make it, it's possible to make a "trap" that creates enough food and water to feed 15 people for a day, and can be triggered once every 6 seconds.

It's not the most broken thing you can do with 3.5 trap-creation rules, either.
    Huh! Yeah, no wonder the OOTS is such a low-optimization world. Sounds like Laurin's failed experiment with the Plane of Water was probably about as much optimization as we're going to get with this stuff.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

I've got to say, looking at the "shape" of the thing in the last panel makes nauseous. Very good, I say, if the art manages to elicit a physical reaction.

Even more disturbing is that we can't see the Snarl's face. That's not its main body... that's just a single arm, and probably just the tip. This thing is HUGE.