New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Announces: Path of War Expanded

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    So something I just noticed looking at Mithral Current: For the weapon drawing rules it specifies you must have the Quick Draw feat or a +1 BAB. Quick Draw requires +1 BAB to take it, making the Quick Draw exception pretty useless.
    I'd mention something about Soulknives and Quick Draw, but they get that well after they have BAB +1.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

The riven hourglass discipline was great when I used it at my table before and it looks great here too! Really looking forward to buying the book when it comes out.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Will there be new archetypes for the existing classes? Stalker in particular looks to have design space open.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Will there be new archetypes for the existing classes? Stalker in particular looks to have design space open.
    I'd love to see more Stalker options that remove the supernatural abilities.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Regarding the Crimson Countess archetype for Harbingers; is it intentional that Vitae only goes up, and not down? I was looking for some way to 'spend' Vitae, making it a choice whether to pool points to enable the various Sanguine Empowerment abilities and boost rolls, or expend them for something - but it's entirely a passive ability.

Similarly, is it intentional for a Crimson Countess to have two (non-stacking) sources of Insight boosts to attack rolls, from Accursed Will and Sanguine Empowerment?

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    So something I just noticed looking at Mithral Current: For the weapon drawing rules it specifies you must have the Quick Draw feat or a +1 BAB. Quick Draw requires +1 BAB to take it, making the Quick Draw exception pretty useless.
    I think they're covering their bases in case somebody got it as a bonus feat.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Mithril Current Bushi Warder just became my new build for Kenshin Himura.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

8. - Top - End - #38

Planetar

Is there anywhere I can find PF character sheets that have capacity for Psionics/PoW options? Mainly the skills.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    I think they're covering their bases in case somebody got it as a bonus feat.
    Its actually the opposite. You can draw a weapon as a free action as part of another move action provided you have a BAB of +1. So this wording allows you to use mithral current in those edge cases, and makes quick draw less of a feat tax to use the discipline.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Is there anywhere I can find PF character sheets that have capacity for Psionics/PoW options? Mainly the skills.
    Myth-weavers is compatible with Psionics, but doesn't natively includemaneuver support (although I just put the maneuvers in the "spells" section)
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone converted Sleeping Goddess to PoW yet?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    I imagine some progress has been made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Zealot introduces the Eternal Guardian and Sleeping Goddess disciplines
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

13. - Top - End - #43

Planetar

It's mostly just the new skills. Yes, the most nit-picky reason to dislike these books.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Sleeping Goddess can be found near the bottom of the Zealot beta document.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick note: The Destruction Cause of the Zealot's level-4 ability, by the way it's written, will ignore DR/-

I do not think this is intended, since it doesn't ignore DR/epic, but wanted to note that.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Will play a Bushi Warder in a month or two but will refluff the "seathe" with a "turns upside down" or something similar. 'Cause mind you, I want to use a Halberd.

EDIT: Any way for a Warder to gain Eternal Guardian?
    Last edited by Fenryr; 2014-09-22 at 09:28 PM.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Regarding the Crimson Countess archetype for Harbingers; is it intentional that Vitae only goes up, and not down? I was looking for some way to 'spend' Vitae, making it a choice whether to pool points to enable the various Sanguine Empowerment abilities and boost rolls, or expend them for something - but it's entirely a passive ability.
    I tried nine thousand and one ways to make spendable Vitae work within CC's mechanical theme and ultimately chose to sacrifice a flavor opportunity for the current incarnation. The trouble is that building Vitae through Claims is hard to scale properly, and Countess is a direct answer to numerous requests for more meaningful Claiming. Hence the current incarnation.

Similarly, is it intentional for a Crimson Countess to have two (non-stacking) sources of Insight boosts to attack rolls, from Accursed Will and Sanguine Empowerment?
    There is no war in Ba Sing Se.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I imagine some progress has been made.
    Durrrr lern 2 reed, facks.

19. - Top - End - #49

Path of War Expanded will be handling All the Archetypes Ever, Ever, Ever. I'm pretty excited about an upcoming Warder one, actually.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Will we be getting more gish classes? Bladeaste really has 1.5 class features worth using, and it's a strict downgrade from its psionic counterpart, AFAICT.

I'm still excited for the curse school. I like curses.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Path of War Expanded will be handling All the Archetypes Ever, Ever, Ever. I'm pretty excited about an upcoming Warder one, actually.
    Warder's getting even more archetype love? Man, those guys… Anyway, any teasing details?

Also, will there be a horselord stalker, or a musketeer stalker (privateer doesn't count)?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Does Truesilver Tsunami apply precision damage (and other effects that do damage on each attack, like Flaming) just once, or on each strike?

... Also, can I ask why you chose to make Harbinger int-based? Kinda confused, nothing about it says 'must be super intelligent'.
    Last edited by Taveena; 2014-09-22 at 10:19 PM.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    ... Also, can I ask why you chose to make Harbinger int-based? Kinda confused, nothing about it says 'must be super intelligent'.
    This actually came up before! Permit me to quote myself:

Quote Originally Posted by Myself
    Aaah - I was wondering when I'd get this question.

There's a lot of reasons I keyed Harbinger to Intelligence. A part of it, maybe a very big part, is the legacy from which Harbinger arises. European witches, demonic entities, cannibal hags, beings like Koschei the Deathless - they all have in common this theme of knowing things, of holding onto terrible wisdom which they bend to their own will. Harbingers are the inheritors of that grim knowledge, the heralds of pain, and though they fight on the front lines their tool and weapon is still knowing.

Which is really where we get into the emotional aspect. A Harbinger does not channel her raw emotions, and her power is not based on the strength of those emotions. It comes from understanding, accepting, and to an extent embracing fear, sorrow, loss, grief, anger, hate, despair, and powerlessness. Harbingers have had their lives shaped by the worst the world has to offer but remain alive, and they translate that pain into strength by looking at the lessons their wounds have taught them, not by bleeding upon their enemies. They approach it intellectually, with an attitude of self-improvement, of dealing with their emotions somehow.

You can see that, or at least you will, with the iconic Harbinger - Kestrel of Asheholm. She and her sister both became Harbingers of very different stripes. Kestrel draws her strength from sorrow, and more importantly from her need to prevent such sorrow in others; Kestrel meditates on grief and how it's shaped her as a sapient being and uses its power in her swordplay. Her sister Jewel, on the other hand, has chosen to embrace fury at the injustices done to them both; for Jewel, the appropriate reaction to injustice is revenge, and she dwells and meditates not only on the nature of vengeance, but in how she can express it in her life.

Either way, force of personality, of self-identity, isn't the crux of the issue. Charisma relates to the self - self-identity, self-motivation, self-confidence. Harbingers do not need these things; their focus is on a universal constant, on the role that suffering and devastation plays in their lives and the lives of others. That comprehension leads them to the secrets of power.

I hope that made sense 'cause I'm not sure it did >.>

My extended homebrew sig

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

[Heavt Breathing] The warder is quickly becoming my favourite PoW class so far (still have to read the PoW2 classes in depth though), so that makes me happy; also I hope the Magus Archetype is combinable with Hexcrafter which is my favourite archetype. (pretty please with sugar on top)

This actually came up before! Permit me to quote myself

Aaah - I was wondering when I'd get this question.

There's a lot of reasons I keyed Harbinger to Intelligence. A part of it, maybe a very big part, is the legacy from which Harbinger arises. European witches, demonic entities, cannibal hags, beings like Koschei the Deathless - they all have in common this theme of knowing things, of holding onto terrible wisdom which they bend to their own will. Harbingers are the inheritors of that grim knowledge, the heralds of pain, and though they fight on the front lines their tool and weapon is still knowing.

Which is really where we get into the emotional aspect. A Harbinger does not channel her raw emotions, and her power is not based on the strength of those emotions. It comes from understanding, accepting, and to an extent embracing fear, sorrow, loss, grief, anger, hate, despair, and powerlessness. Harbingers have had their lives shaped by the worst the world has to offer but remain alive, and they translate that pain into strength by looking at the lessons their wounds have taught them, not by bleeding upon their enemies. They approach it intellectually, with an attitude of self-improvement, of dealing with their emotions somehow.

You can see that, or at least you will, with the iconic Harbinger - Kestrel of Asheholm. She and her sister both became Harbingers of very different stripes. Kestrel draws her strength from sorrow, and more importantly from her need to prevent such sorrow in others; Kestrel meditates on grief and how it's shaped her as a sapient being and uses its power in her swordplay. Her sister Jewel, on the other hand, has chosen to embrace fury at the injustices done to them both; for Jewel, the appropriate reaction to injustice is revenge, and she dwells and meditates not only on the nature of vengeance, but in how she can express it in her life.

Either way, force of personality, of self-identity, isn't the crux of the issue. Charisma relates to the self - self-identity, self-motivation, self-confidence. Harbingers do not need these things; their focus is on a universal constant, on the role that suffering and devastation plays in their lives and the lives of others. That comprehension leads them to the secrets of power.

I hope that made sense 'cause I'm not sure it did >.>
    :
    Hopefully some of this makes to the print version, cause that is incredible, the knowledgeable warrior, is one of my favourite tropes/archetypes. So those are major points in favour of the Harbringer. Now.... can anyone help me to come up with a way to convince my DM to allow Harbringers in his RotRL campaign?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

25. - Top - End - #55

That description makes me really excited for the Harbinger (though at the same time makes me want to toss my debuff oriented stalker out the window). Class sounds amazing. Ditto for the fact that it's int based, the justification for it works really well and I'm a huge fan of smart fighter characters. Probably part of why the Warder is my favorite PoW class, so excited for the news about it too.

Shame Warders can't be Privateers though, as the only thing that I like more than int-based fighters is Pirates... so one that slapped the two together woulda been delicious (and one step closer to my very bizarre fantasy class of a sword and pistol halfcasting necromantic lightning wielding pirate lord).

Oh and the whole idea behind the class templates seems nifty, hope there's more of them (or that the current ones get expanded a bit to cover some of the new classes).

Wish I had something more to say than "Oh that looks cool" over and over though.
    Last edited by squiggit; 2014-09-22 at 11:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Been playing a harbinger a bit now... It's very fun
    The int synergy is great, and it's making her a surprisingly good skill monkey. ^_^
    I admittedly didn't manage to make much use of the Shattered Mirror(except Breaking Glass Strike, which was quite fun) and Cursed Razor Disciplines, since we were fighting weak enemies(about 16-18* level 1 goblins, and a boss goblin[about level 3, iirc]).
    On the other hand... It was fun seeing how the class preforms against weaker enemies. I was able to keep refreshing my maneuvers nearly every turn, since my claimed targets died so quickly. :3

Looking forward to seeing how it preforms in less "fight the swarm of mooks" encounters, but so I've enjoyed playing one.

*in a row, they kept streaming into the area.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

27. - Top - End - #57

I saw the Harbingers Int-base as coming from the archetype of the cold smart psychopath.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

As someone currently DMing for a playtest Harbinger, I really look forward to the book being published. It's a really fun class.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I saw the Harbingers Int-base as coming from the archetype of the cold smart psychopath.
    This is also a very valid Harbinger ^_^

My extended homebrew sig

30. - Top - End - #60

DwarfClericGuy

Is there still time/a cutoff time for submitting archetypes to the DSP submissions board for PoW Expanded?

I have the beginings of an idea for a racial archetype for Dwarven Warders.