New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances V

969:

Belkar Bitterleaf, Mr. Scruffy

Plus one unnamed who we probably won't see again.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 969
    Belkar Bitterleaf, Mr. Scruffy
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

970: Bandana, Elan, Haley Starshine.

The green guy will almost certainly get a retroactive appearance count for this page, but we can't identify him or her yet.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Wow, I thought, that thing with Sir Thumb was just a random story for a joke. Could someone add that to the FAQ?
    FYI that's the same reason Elan broke his arm before the fight against Miko

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    FYI that's the same reason Elan broke his arm before the fight against Miko
    "Well, it would have gone a lot faster if SOMEONE hadn't sprained their wrist."

...Huh. I would never have picked up on that on my own.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post

The green guy will almost certainly get a retroactive appearance count for this page, but we can't identify him or her yet.
    My first impression is that it's

Spoiler
    Show
    Thog

7. - Top - End - #637
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post

You forgot Vaarsuvius.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Indeed I did.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 970
    Bandana, Elan, Haley Starshine, Vaarsuvius
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #640
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

971: Bandana, Crystal (as some sort of undead/golem), Elan, Haley Starshine
    Last edited by Yana; 2014-12-27 at 08:00 PM.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Is the appearance of Crystal (in some form) enough evidence to label the green-skinned wandering eyes as Bozzok?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #642
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Is the appearance of Crystal (in some form) enough evidence to label the green-skinned wandering eyes as Bozzok?
    No. Those eyes could belong to an entirely new character, for all we know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post
    No. Those eyes could belong to an entirely new character, for all we know.
    Or of coure, Thog.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It seems very likely that's who it is, but we can't tell for certain until we actually see him.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #645
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

OK I'll list appearances from the bonus comic-pages in Blood Runs in the family. This only includes extra comics which were integrated into the story, not bonus features.

Open at your own risk.

Spoiler
    Show

Page 687a: Elan, Haley, Vaarsuvius, Blackwing. New character: unnamed adolescent sphinx.

Page 708a: Tsukiko. Unnamed wights & ghouls. Not sure if it counts, but there's also a picture on the wall with Tsukiko and Xykon, and another picture with an unnamed hobgoblin.

Page 708b: Monster In the Dark. Unnamed Hobgoblins (including children). Unnamed hobgoblin clown.

Page 743a: All 6 members of the OotS (Roy, Elan, Haley, Belkar, Durkon, Vaarsuvius), plus Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy. Also has, in a flashback, the giant bird that ate the Azure city wizard who teleported the party in War & XPs, plus the half-eaten skeleton of that wizard.

Page 785a: Tarquin, Elan, Haley, Vaarsuvius, Blackwing, Mr. Scruffy, Zz'dtri (disguised as the elf ambassador), Kilkil. Also had unnamed Empire of Blood guard, entertainers, and civilians.

Page 801a: Roy, Thog, Tarquin, Kilkil. Also some unnamed Empire of Blood guards.

Page 827b: Niu, Redcloak (live and on a banner), Thanh (dead), Osmium Elemental, unnamed bearded devil. unnamed resistance members (dead).

Page 837a: The entire Order of the Stick (Roy, Elan, Haley, Belkar, Durkon, Vaarsuvius, Blackwing, Mr. Scruffy), plus Yukyuk (Dominated by V). Roy again (in Elan's vision, taking a very unusual form), the Purple Worm (in Elan's flashback).

Page 855a: Roy, Haley, Belkar, Mr. Scruffy, Tarquin, Malack, Nale, Zz'dtri(in comic and in flashback), Sabine (as herself and as Tarquin), Qarr (in comic and in flashback), Kilkil, Yukyuk (dead), Frudu Biggens (flashback), Emmerick of Melbourne (flashback), Jim Slush (flashback), Spook (flashback), unnamed devil lawyer (flashback), and a human lawyer who is probably Jones (flashback).

Page 864a: Elan, Belkar (normal and dominated), Roy, Durkon (as himself), Mr. Scruffy. Also "Soul-Muncher" who I'm not sure counts or not.

If you really want to know what I'm talking about...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soul-Muncher was Tarquin's axe, an intelligent weapon. If Soul-Muncher counts as a character, someone else can go back and count appearances.

Page 938a: Belkar, Elan, Roy (normal and in flashback--hypnotised) , Haley (normal, but injured with a broken arm) and in flashback--hypnotised), Eugene Greenhilt (as Oathspirit/ghost in flashback)

I double-checked and think that's all, but others should feel free to confirm this.
    Last edited by 2.5 cats; 2015-01-02 at 10:06 AM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Here's the rest of the book. I'll just post what I see, and you all can decide what does and doesn't count.

Read at your own risk.

Spoiler
    Show

The preface (1 page) is written "by Durkon Thundershield" and there's a little picture of (regular) Durkon next to the title.

The story recap (3 pages) is done by characters on that boat that they were on at the end of "Don't Split the Party." Characters are presenting information, but as a storytelling aid they're using a large pad of paper which has drawings of various characters on them. I'm not sure if drawings of characters count, so I'll divide it up:

Page 1: Real: Haley
    Drawn on paper: The six heroes (Roy, Elan, Haley, Durkon Vaarsuvius, Belkar), Mr. Scruffy, Team Evil (Xykon, Redcloak, Tsukiko, Monster in the Dark, Demon Roaches), The Snarl, the orginal Linear Guild (Nale, Sabine, Thog, Zd'dtri, Yikyik, Hilgya), Hinjo, Ho Thanh, Niu.

Page 2: Real: Haley, Elan, Blackwing
    Drawn on paper: Bossok, Crystal, Therkla, Qarr, Daimyo Kubota, Vaarsuvius (both regular and soul bound/powered up versions), the Black (mother) Dragon, the three fiends in the IPCC.

Page 3: Real: Haley, Elan, Blackwing
    Drawn on paper: Vaarsuvius (both regular and soul bound/powered up versions), the Black (mother) dragon (both in regular form and as an animated dead head), many nameless black dragons, The Snarl, O-Chul, Blackwing, Xykon, Monster in the Dark, Daimyo Kubota, Qarr, Therkla, Elan, Roy, Durkon.

Quoth the Familiar special feature: 5 pages

Page 1: Vaarsuvius
    Page 2: Vaarsuvius, Blackwing
    Page 3: Vaarsuvius, Blackwing
    Page 4: Vaarsuvius, Blackwing
    Page 5: Vaarsuvius, Blackwing, Haley, Belkar, Aarindarius (= Vaarsuvius's master. We saw him in #634).

There's the one-page, never published "Order of the Stick #3" in which Durkon "Turns Undead"

Roy, Haley, Elan, Vaarsuvius, Belkar, Durkon (as undead. He looks like vampire Durkon in the more primitive early art style, though the party was fighting ghouls). Also some unnamed ghouls.

On the past page of the book (other than the cover), Roy's girlfriend Celia is standing on an otherwise-blank page and says a line.

The inside of the front & back covers have "wallpaper" made of many repeated images of Blackwing & Mr. Scruffy. The first (non-cover) page of the book has the same image of these two, but in color and only drawn once rather than repeated.

Rich Burlew draws a "stick" portrait of himself next to his 1-page Introduction.

And of course you already know what the cover looks like.

OK I think that's everything!
    Last edited by 2.5 cats; 2015-01-01 at 04:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

From what I remember, the front/back covers (including inside?) and the page showing the other available books were not counted before, but everything else goes.

Thanks, 2.5 cats!
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 971
    Bandana, Crystal (as Golem/Undead), Elan, Haley Starshine
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

2.5 cats, can you give more details about "Soul-Muncher"? What happened to it?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #650
    Bugbear in the Playground

Suggest "Crystal (as monster)".
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

2.5 cats, can you give more details about "Soul-Muncher"? What happened to it?
    Here you go! Read at your own risk--major spoilers for bonus comic #864a!

Spoiler
    Show

The party found Tarquin's axe. Other members of the OotS picked it up, but found it very painful, and concluded that it was an evil weapon that would hurt any non-evil people who picked touched it. (In regular D&D rules touching an evil weapon gives a non-evil person a negative level, I beleive. The comic reflects this by having it be a very uncomfortable level of pain.) So Haley asked Belkar to pick it up, in the hope that they could sell it in the future. Belkar did, and was immediately (spiral eyes) dominated. In a different (red colored) voice box dominated-Belkar announced "Fear me meatbags! I am SOUL MUNCHER! Too long have I been forced into service by that strong-willed bastard { = Tarquin }. Now that I have found a suitable vessel to manipulate { = Belkar } I will be UNSTOPPABLE!"

At which point Roy said, "Yeah, no." and grabbed the axe away from Belkar before Belkar could react. Haley opened up a pit trap and Roy tossed the axe down there. We see the axe all alone at the bottom of the pit (and sad about it) as the trap doors close and the party moves on.

Given that we never were shown the Linear Guild finding it (and Roy chucked it down the pit in the explicit hope that it wouldn't be found) Soul Muncher presumably was still inside the Pyramid when it exploded in strip 899. Was it destroyed in the explosion? Did it survive under the sand? Was it unmade by the Snarl? Your guess is as good as mine...
    Last edited by 2.5 cats; 2015-01-04 at 01:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5 cats View Post
    Here you go! Read at your own risk--major spoilers for bonus comic #864a!

Spoiler
    Show

The party found Tarquin's axe. Other members of the OotS picked it up, but found it very painful, and concluded that it was an evil weapon that would hurt any non-evil people who picked it up. So Haley asked Belkar to pick it up. Belkar did, and was immediately (spiral eyes) dominated. In a different (red colored) voice box dominated-Belkar announced "I am SOUL MUNCHER! Too long have I been forced into service by that strong-willed bastard { = Tarquin }. Now that I have found a suitable vessel to manipulate { = Belkar } I will be UNSTOPPABLE!"

At which point Roy said, "Yeah, no." and grabbed the axe away from Belkar before Belkar could react. Haley opened up a pit trip and Roy tossed the axe down there. We see the axe, all alone at the bottom of the pit (and sad about it) as the trap doors close and the party moves on.

Given that we never were shown the Linear Guild finding it (and the OotS chucked it down the pit in the explicit hope that it wouldn't be found) Soul Muncher presumably was still inside the Pyramid when it exploded in strip 899. Was it destroyed in the explosion? Did it survive under the sand? Was it unmade by the Snarl? Your guess is as good as mine...
    Ah, so that's what happened to it. Lots of forumites had asked about that, good to know they will have an answer.

Peelee’s Lotsey

23. - Top - End - #653
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Here's the 2015 Calendar. (Do calendars count?)

Spoiler
    Show

Front page (which you all already have seen): The 6 members of Oots, plus Mr. Scruffy, Blackwing, O-Chul, Lien

January (art page): Elan, unnamed harpies
    January (dates page): Elan, Haley, Vaarsuvius, Blackwing, Belkar. Also a large "ghost outline" of Elan under most of the page.

February (art): The 6 members of the Order of the Scribble. Note: the elf druid is shapeshifted into a guant bear. Girard is mirror-imaged. Unnamed Red Dragon.
    February (dates): Roy, Belkar, Mr. Scruffy, Haley, Durkon, Celia, Lien, O-Chul, Elan, unnamed frog. Large "ghost outline" of Dorukan? (I may be spelling that wrong--the wizard guy whose Dungeon the OotS was in in book 1.)

March (art); Belkar, Mr. Scruffy. Unnamed large monster.
    March (dates): Roy, Elan, Belkar, Mr. Scruffy, Blackwing, Vaarsuvius. Large "ghost outline" of Belkar.

April (art); Daigo, Kazumi. Unnamed ninjas. (One is a possible half-orc. Could potentially be Therkla, but I'm guessing not.)
    April (dates): Kazumi, Daigo, Durkon, Belkar, Elan, Blackwing, Vaarsuvius. Large "ghost outline" of Kazumi and Daigo.

May (art): Haley, unnamed acid-breathing pirahnas.
    May (dates): Elan, Durkon, "Red" (Haley's father), Haley, Mr. Scruffy, Belkar, O-Chul. Large "ghost outline" of Haley

June (art): Roy, unnamed Mummies. (Unlike the other pages which feature new art, this was a previously-seen panel of Roy "great-cleaving" mummies in Girard's pyramid).
    June (dates): Durkon, Eugene Greenhilt, Roy, Vaarfuvius, Mr. Scruffy, Belkar, Julia Greenhilt. Large "ghost outline" of Roy

July (art): Lien, Unnamed Sahaugin
    July (dates): Haley, Lien, Elan, Roy, Hinjo. Large "ghost outline" of Lien

August (art): Bandana, Pirate guy with dark skin & dreadlocks, 2 other pirates I haven't seen before--one may be an elf or half elf? Unnamed skeleton captain & skeletons.
    August (dates); Bandana, Julio Scoundrel, Roy. 5 Mechane crewpeople (Andi, one with the blue head scarf (that Haley used on her broken arm late in the last book), older guy with eyepatch, and guy with brown vest & 5-o'clock shadow. And again the dark-skinned guy with the dreadlocks). Large "ghost outline" of Bandana

September (art): Celia. Lots of extraplanar creatures, none of whom look familiar.
    September (dates): Roy, Celia, Belkar, Elan, Haley, the two recurring Lawyers (Jones & Phil Rodriguez). Large "ghost outline" of Celia

October (art): O-Chul. Unnamed boy, unnamed cat (not Mr. Scruffy)
    October (dates); O-Chul, Haley, Elan, Vaarsuvius, Blackwing. Large "ghost outline" of O-chul.

November (art): Vaarsuvius, Blackwing, unnamed Ogre Mage
    November (dates): Haley, Blackwing, Durkon, Vaarsuvius, Belkar, Elan, Bandana. Large "ghost outline" of Vaarsuvius.

December (art): Durkon, two Azure city soldiers, one of whom might be Niu.
    Demember (dates): Haley, Roy, Durkon, Belkar, Elan, Mr. Scruffy. Large "ghost outline" of Durkon

Bonus page (art): Flumph, bother as regular art and as him/herself in a dream.
    Bonus page (dates): Belkar, flumphs, another monsters I can't indentify, Roy, Elan, Haley, Durkon, Blackwing, Vaarsuvius, O-chul, Lien, Xykon, Redcloak, Jirix, Demon Roaches, Sabine, Monster in the Dark.

Back page: Small version of all 12 monthly "art pages" (Other than the bonus page) are shown on the back page.
    Last edited by 2.5 cats; 2015-01-06 at 01:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ettin in the Playground

Tsukiko gives the wight in boots an "official" name in one of the bonus strips: Boot-Wight
    Also, the chapter title pages:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1: the full 8 OOTS, Hinjo's Junk Crew
    Round 2: MitD
    Round 3: Tarquin
    Round 4: Elan, Tarquin
    Round 5: Roy
    Round 8: Mr. Scruffy

25. - Top - End - #655
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Tsukiko gives the wight in boots an "official" name in one of the bonus strips: Boot-Wight
    I guess he appeared then?
    Last edited by martianmister; 2015-01-11 at 03:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep...............

27. - Top - End - #657
    Firbolg in the Playground

972:
    Bandana, Crystal (as flesh golem), Elan, Haley Starshine

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 972
    Bandana, Crystal (as Golem), Elan, Haley Starshine
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Now that we know the names of some of the Mechane's crew, do we have names for the ones appearing in this comic:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ettin in the Playground

All of the named crewmen were not seen until the past ~50 strips.