New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Banned

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XV - What's the Damage of a Thrown Pineapple?

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Have we put Vaarsuvius' cantrip for picking bugs out of their teeth in their spell list?
    Pretty sure that's just prestidigitation.

2. - Top - End - #992

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XV - What's the Damage of a Thrown Pineapple?

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Besides, Minrah is lower level, and was a fighter before becoming a cleric, so her K:R would naturally be lower than Durkon's.
    Depends. Are you just counting skill ranks, or including the base modifier from Ability? Because Durkon not recognizing that Loki is Thor's arch-nemesis suggests he has no Kn:Rel ranks.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Depends. Are you just counting skill ranks, or including the base modifier from Ability? Because Durkon not recognizing that Loki is Thor's arch-nemesis suggests he has no Kn:Rel ranks.
    In 52 Durkon wishes he had more ranks in Knowledge: Religion, not any ranks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    In 52 Durkon wishes he had more ranks in Knowledge: Religion, not any ranks.
    And that was some levels ago. He doesn't seem to have had a great improvement, though.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

5. - Top - End - #995
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Hey, I have a question for you guys (that may or may not have already been discussed to death, in which case I apologize):

If Hilgya is Chaotic Evil, how can she Turn Undead (comic #1105)? The vampires are running away from her, which I believe is specifically a result from Turn, rather than Rebuke (which makes them cower in fear, iirc).
    I'm not questioning her alignment, it's been made relatively explicit, just confused about her turning.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Bugbear in the Playground

There are a couple of different potential explanations, but (from what I can tell) this is the most-accepted one:

Loki, her god, has some sort of exception that grants some (or all) of his clerics Turning instead of Rebuking.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-09-26 at 05:39 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hans of Frysia View Post
    Hey, I have a question for you guys (that may or may not have already been discussed to death, in which case I apologize):

If Hilgya is Chaotic Evil, how can she Turn Undead (comic #1105)?
    Yes, we did discuss this a lot earlier in this thread. It seemed clear enough that she can indeed Turn Undead. People argued a lot on whether she is Evil or Neutral, whether Loki is Evil or Neutral or Good, whether the OoTS universe follows the rules that a cleric's alignment must be close to the god's alignment, and whether Loki has a special exception to the rules because he hates the Undead. There was no clean agreement. People disagreed in how they interpreted the hints in the comics about alignments. People quoted various precedents of certain splatbooks where some gods gave exemptions from the priest alignment rule or from the Turn Undead rule, but it was unclear how common these exemptions were, how much exemption they generally allow, and how we'd guess the OoTS rules from them. In the end we decided that Hilgya was Chaotic Evil, but it wasn't an unambiguous consensus decision.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    There are a couple of different potential explanations, but (from what I can tell) this is the most-accepted one:

Loki, her god, has some sort of exception that grants some (or all) of his clerics Turning instead of Rebuking.
    Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Yes, we did discuss this a lot earlier in this thread. It seemed clear enough that she can indeed Turn Undead. People argued a lot on whether she is Evil or Neutral, whether Loki is Evil or Neutral or Good, whether the OoTS universe follows the rules that a cleric's alignment must be close to the god's alignment, and whether Loki has a special exception to the rules because he hates the Undead. There was no clean agreement. People disagreed in how they interpreted the hints in the comics about alignments. People quoted various precedents of certain splatbooks where some gods gave exemptions from the priest alignment rule or from the Turn Undead rule, but it was unclear how common these exemptions were, how much exemption they generally allow, and how we'd guess the OoTS rules from them. In the end we decided that Hilgya was Chaotic Evil, but it wasn't an unambiguous consensus decision.
    Thanks for the answers, and sorry for asking something that had been discussed already.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I don't want to trigger anyone here, but does anyone remember which incarnation of CaLG had the discussions about Tarquin's class options? I know it must be years ago, but I don't really want to trawl through ALL the threads trying to find the now-legendary dispute; I'm just mildly-to-moderately curious.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    I don't want to trigger anyone here, but does anyone remember which incarnation of CaLG had the discussions about Tarquin's class options? I know it must be years ago, but I don't really want to trawl through ALL the threads trying to find the now-legendary dispute; I'm just mildly-to-moderately curious.
    Going back in comics by the 50s, Tarquin started roughly around 700. By the OOTS wiki, he ended at 936. Going back through the the previous thread versions and the discussion thread index, CLG IX is the farthest back I could find, but that's after Tarquin was introduced, and CLG XII started right before 936 came out. So XII definitely bookends one side, but the front end is going to be before IX. Regardless, you can still narrow it down to IX-XII for a decent range where Tarquin was probably heavily discussed. However, Tarquin's first fight was around 850, so the IX thread is probably going to see the lion's share of it (this investigation is very quick and dirty, so I'm not going to sit here and try to guess as to any resurgent Tarquin debates).

tl;dr - Try CLG IX.

Also, I vote to move the version history to the first post.

Thanks to Quartz for the version history, Lira and hamishspence for the Discussion Thread index, and Kurald Galain for the CLG. Cherish these people, MultitudeMan.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-10-04 at 12:38 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Going back in comics by the 50s, Tarquin started roughly around 700. By the OOTS wiki, he ended at 936. Going back through the the previous thread versions and the discussion thread index, CLG IX is the farthest back I could find, but that's after Tarquin was introduced, and CLG XII started right before 936 came out. So XII definitely bookends one side, but the front end is going to be before IX. Regardless, you can still narrow it down to IX-XII for a decent range where Tarquin was probably heavily discussed. However, Tarquin's first fight was around 850, so the IX thread is probably going to see the lion's share of it (this investigation is very quick and dirty, so I'm not going to sit here and try to guess as to any resurgent Tarquin debates).

tl;dr - Try CLG IX.

Also, I vote to move the version history to the first post.

Thanks to Quartz for the version history, Lira and hamishspence for the Discussion Thread index, and Kurald Galain for the CLG. Cherish these people, MultitudeMan.
    Thanks to all those you mentioned, as well as you, Peelee!

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks to all those you mentioned, as well as you, Peelee!
    Try this for starters: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Us-Nerds/page3

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

IIRC, Tarquin's class (or more likely, combination of classes) is pretty much in the category of "no way to know, but here are some plausible guesses". What's contentious is his total level, in particular the question of whether he's epic (and thus eligible for epic feats).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    Oh, sorry, that was about the arrow snatching, which was the one I remembered, but probably not what you were looking for in the way of class features.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    Oh, sorry, that was about the arrow snatching, which was the one I remembered, but probably not what you were looking for in the way of class features.
    It was interesting, but I was rather more looking for the class/level discussion. I take the point made by Chronos that there may just not be a way to know, based on the evidence provided in the strips. I don't feel a great need to know if Tarquin must have epic feats, either.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ettin in the Playground

My current take on Tarquin is a fighter with levels in the "BBEG villain prestige class" mentioned in The Sourcebook That Never Was (digital DSTP), plus some obscure feats.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, there's literally a mention of a "BBEG villain prestige class" somewhere in the bonus materials? What's the context?

I think the most likely answer for Tarquin is that he's got levels here and there in a number of different base and prestige classes, probably including at least Fighter and Swordsage, possibly Monk, plus likely some homebrewed ones. Optimized warrior-types tend to have a lot of dips, and Tarquin certainly seems to be fairly optimized, given that he can single-handedly hold off almost the entire Order at once.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

It's strange that Redcloak was surprised by the high priest of the Twelve Gods casting Hold Monster, considering he cast it himself in SoD (and thus would presumably know about it being a Law domain spell). Perhaps Rich simply forgot he gave Redcloak that spell?
    Last edited by Linneris; 2018-10-09 at 07:06 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Possibly Redcloak simply didn't expect that the high priest would have the Law domain.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2018-10-09 at 07:17 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Possibly Redcloak simply didn't expect that the high priest would have the Law domain.
    Which is fair enough - a high priest of the 12 would be expected to not "play favorites" by having a domain probably opposed by a third of the circle. Mind you, I'm not sure there would be a domain that would be universally liked, but RC's "I'm not like you" might also be involved - his specism does lead to see humans as "others", and in this one thing, they were not so different.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Wait, there's literally a mention of a "BBEG villain prestige class" somewhere in the bonus materials? What's the context?
    Digital DStP has several pages of random notes and mini-comics for a scrapped OOTS sourcebook. Next to a drawing of a fiendish woman is a brief description of the class would have entailed:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right: The illustration for the BBEG villain prestige class. The class’ main feature was a series of increasingly improbable escape powers, allowing a GM’s recurring villain to always get away if that was the goal. But when facing a foe from whom she had previously escaped, she could declare a Final Boss Battle, gaining special combat powers in exchange for losing access to all escape abilities for 8 hours.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I know this might have been addressed at some stage, but why do a few characters (including Hilgya, Hinjo, and Laurin) lack pictures?

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Colossus in the Playground

I know this might have been addressed at some stage, but why do a few characters (including Hilgya, Hinjo, and Laurin) lack pictures?
    Because the pictures were hosted on Imgur, and Imgur has blocked GiTP.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Because the pictures were hosted on Imgur, and Imgur has blocked GiTP.
    "WHY?!" \o/

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ogre in the Playground

Do these copies work?

Hinjo
    Celia
    Laurin Shattersmith
    Kraagor
    Julia Greenhilt
    Hilgya Firehelm
    Qarr
    Serini Toormuck

See also this forum thread about images.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-10-22 at 02:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Colossus in the Playground

They work.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    "WHY?!" \o/
    Because Imgur doesn't want to be a image server, it was to be an image storage. Allowing hotlinking is expensive, at the volume of usage Imgur gets. Photobucket had the same issue, and eventually so will all other image hosts.
    (Sorry if you were being rhetorical. Hard to tell)
    Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Because Imgur doesn't want to be a image server, it was to be an image storage. Allowing hotlinking is expensive, at the volume of usage Imgur gets. Photobucket had the same issue, and eventually so will all other image hosts.
    Grey Wolf
    And I'm STILL seething about it!!!!

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Grey Wolf
    Thanks. I really didn't know.

Also, I was doing the classical WHY!? shout...

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Also, I was doing the classical WHY!? shout...
    OK, you're the second person is as many days I see using this vaguely pink-ish colour rather than straight up white text. Did I mess a memo? Is this a Thing We Are Doing now?

Grey Wolf