New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: The LA Assignment Thread XII: the LA-bors of Heracles

Easy -0 LA.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

Knew I was forgetting something. Sorry about not posting for so long.

And honestly, my first reaction to your DM was to say to go ahead and post it since you put in the work. I just got distracted by something and never sent the reply.

But yes, a clear -0. I'll get back on this timorrow.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Troll in the Playground

Size & Type: Medium Fey (Earth)
    Space/Reach: 5'/5'
    HD: 12, 17 (Large), 29 (Huge)
    Speed: 30', Burrow 30'
    Ability Scores: Str +10, Dex -2, Con +10, Int +4, Wis +0, Cha +10 - Net +32, one penalty
    Natural Armor: 12
    Natural Weapons: Four Primary Gemlances (1d6, 20/x4)
    Skill List: Climb, Diplomacy, Hide, Knowledge (Dungeoneering, Geography, Nature), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot
    Body Shape: Humanoid
    Speech (Languages): Yes (Common, Sylvan, Terran)
    CR: 8
    WotC LA: -
    Our LA: -0

Immunity to acid and fire, resist cold 10, DR 10/Cold Iron, and SR19 (non-scaling but still relevant at this level); as well as being intelligent and speech-capable in a humanoid shape, cap off a pretty decent chassis.

It can Earth Glide just like an Earth Elemental, including how it reacts to a Move Earth spell, but the Glitterhaunt can also glide through metal.

It can create a Prismatic Flash once per day, emulating a Prismatic Spray in a 20' radius burst. Save DCs are Con-based.

It can also generate an explosion of crystal shards once per 1d4 rounds. The Shardburst deals 6d6 slashing damage to everything in a 40' radius burst, with a Con-based Reflex save for half.

Finally, it can Absorb Metal. Once per round as a free action, the Glitterhaunt can either make a touch attack or attune their body to absorb the next forged metal to touch them within the next round. In either case, the object takes 4d6 sonic damage. If the object is destroyed, it instantly shatters and the pieces are absorbed into the Glitterhaunt's body, healing them for the object's maximum HP. It's not specified that this also negates the relevant attack, but it is implied.

I looked up the HP of common metal items, and while the GP to HP ratio is overall pretty good compared to healing potions; there's a bit to be desired in the storage category.

By strict RAW (though only looking at D20SRD, because I am not going splatbook diving for this), the best bang for your buck is going to be a Haversack full of spears. 2gp and 6lbs for a "two-handed hafted weapon" that has 10hp. Though a reasonable DM could limit you there and say that you only get the healing for the metal portion of the weapon and cut it down to "light blade" territory (2hp). If that logic is enforced, your options are far more limited.

Though in either case, you may want to just have a blacksmith forge you some one-inch cubes of iron or steel (or have your Wizard buddy Fabricate them), which would have 30hp. Maybe cut those cubes into 1/3-inch thick slabs for a consistent ten, since that's closer to an average 4d6 roll. One pound of iron is worth 1sp, and according to gigacalculator.com's metal weight calculator, this would get you about three and a half one-inch cubes (or 12 1x1x1/3 slabs if you actually had 1.021lbs of iron)(...or 131 0.3x0.3x0.3 inch cubes with 1.003lbs).

Also potentially worth nothing, ask your DM if it will work with the daggers generated by a Gauntlet of Infinite Blades (MIC 101, 6,500gp) for infinite out-of-combat healing (2hp at a time).

...I may have gotten a little too into this, but at least I had fun doing it.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2023-11-18 at 02:34 PM.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I sure it isn't -0, but I don't know, +0 or even +1. Should think.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Show

5. - Top - End - #755
    Bugbear in the Playground

12 HD? CR 8? Special traits and qualities seem okay but nothing amazing even for level 8. Yeah I think this is -0 and would still be -0 even with a few less HD.
    Last edited by Remuko; 2023-11-05 at 03:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The glitterhaunt isn't completely awful. The stat adjustments are really good and well-distributed, and Earth Glide is definitely a good thing to have as a PC. Going through earth and metal alike would make for an interesting scout. But the offensive capabilities are just too lacking. 6d6 isn't good damage, prismatic spray is only 1/day and the natural attacks, though good, don't mesh well with the Fey type, despite the Str bonus. I guess that's my problem: it's a Fey trying to be an Outsider through Str and Con, but it just lacks an Outsider's SLAs to be really relevant. I guess with 8 or 9 RHD (maybe even 10) I would have said +0, but right now put me at LA-0.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, I had time to look this creature closer. I think it's +0 LA.

My competition's medals.

Show

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I suppose one part of the consideration for its LA is if we consider its metal absorption to be a free action once a round or if we update it to a swift/ immediate action. The flexibility of being able to heal every round while still keeping a swift action might be valuable, especially if you consider that the damage from the attack only has to be the last little bit that destroys the object.

Theoretically, your best move is to carry some severely beaten up big blocks of iron with you. Then on each of your turns, you finish them and get healed for the item's full hp. Is there a rate of healing that's ever cost-effective for its weight? Is it ever worth it to carry an 10lb small-size category cube of iron to have a way to instantly refill your hp? By your math, it looks like iron can be pretty hp dense at a good size, especially if you cheat down its hp earlier. It's like having Fast Healing MAX.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    I suppose one part of the consideration for its LA is if we consider its metal absorption to be a free action once a round or if we update it to a swift/ immediate action.
    Actually, I hadn't thought of that. When were swift and immediate actions introduced again? This was published in May of 2004.

Show

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

I was under the impression that it's a 3.5e thing, but I could be wrong.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Barbarian in the Playground

According to Complete Champion pg. 4, Swift Actions were introduced in the Miniatures Handbook and Immediate Actions in the Expanded Psionics Handbook. The MinH is First Printing October 2003, the XPH April 2004.

I knew it would pay off to bring my books (in pdf, of course) to work!
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

This monster is not awful. It's still an LA-0 to me, because it cannot do that much stuff offensively for an ECL 12 PC.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

With another type, this would've gotten me to really think. As is, there's a lot of bruiser energy on a half-bab chassis, and I don't feel like what's left justifies a positive LA. LA -0 from me, unfortunately. I think it's a very cool monster.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

14. - Top - End - #764
    Halfling in the Playground

With burrow, resistances, SR, decent Con,Str,Chr for 12 HD, I feel that its very tanky, but lacking in offensive power. At 9 or 10HD it would be +0 clearly, but for now you need to have some way to utilize the tankiness to help your team. Paladin is pretty frontloaded, so having a high Chr is nice here. A burrowing rogue would be amazing because you can hide almost anywhere, but unfortunately the Dex is too low here. Knight or Marshal's abilities also keying off charisma while wanting to be in the thick of things is another good choice.
    At level 12 you're going to want to spend your wealth to get flying or speed boosts so you can be in the right place of the battle to help your allies. Also, touching enemies' weapons is better than most forms of Sundering available to PCs without even needing Improved Sunder

Going out on a limb and saying +0, but a very low one.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't think of anything interesting to say about the glitterhaunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Because having a non-spellcasting stupid dragon sure makes a good epic-level challenge.
    To be fair, a Shadow of the Colossus-level dragon does sound like the kind of thing epic adventurers should be fighting. The problem isn't the concept, just...the way D&D's mechanics (and especially high-level spells) trivialize big dumb brutes.

However, the most interesting ability of the Drak is its gaze attack. Just straight-up 6d6 Dex damage per round to everyone in a 120ft radius unless the person watching makes a Cha-based Fort save, and the Dex damage becomes Con damage if the creature already has 0 Dex. The problem, like all gazes, is how party-unfriendly it is, which will make the Glacierdrak refrain from using it as often as it could.

All in all, no amount of ability damage is worth starting so deep into epic, see you soon.
    To be fair, that is a lot of ability damage. Glancing at the Abominations, I'd say about half of them have Dexterity scores below 20, and the other half are only 25 so 6d6 Dex damage still has a decent chance to paralyze them instantly.

There are, of course, two problems. First, most abominations have Fortitude save bonuses of 30+, which means they basically never fail a save unless the glacierdrak really pumps its save DC. This wouldn't be a problem if it dealt half damage on a successful save, but it doesn't. The second problem, though?
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Abominations are...not subject to energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage.
    Plenty of epic-level monsters have no special defense against ability damage, but plenty of others do. And plenty have silly silly saving throw bonuses, too. (Including the glacierdrak, as it happens.)

And that's the problem. The drak has some cool abilities, but way too many HD for them to be viable. A 44th-level wizard can cast quickened meteor swarm. A 44th-level rogue can balance on clouds. A 44th-level fighter has...um...23 bonus feats, I guess?
    Point is, a friendly-fire gaze attack that could be gnarly when it works isn't enough to compete, even with a halfway-decent bruiser chassis. After all, fighters get a halfway-decent bruiser chassis and 23 bonus feats, and they're one of the weak classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    To be fair, a Shadow of the Colossus-level dragon does sound like the kind of thing epic adventurers should be fighting. The problem isn't the concept, just...the way D&D's mechanics (and especially high-level spells) trivialize big dumb brutes.
    It’s what I call the Tarrasque problem - creatures that are basically big piles of stats and damage with nothing else. The Big T has higher physical stats than even great wyrms but is nearly to completely defenseless against things even single-digit level adventurers have. Like flight. Although the Tarrasque does have a couple abilities that mean defeating it isn’t totally effortless aside from the Allip thing.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just came across this project recently. What do you guys use to decide which books to do? Is there a queue for after you finish these web monsters?

The MM1 Ogre looks far more reasonable under your values. That was the one I looked at to see how you guys do this.

Shame Wizards didn't take such a reasonable approach to setting the LAs.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    It’s what I call the Tarrasque problem - creatures that are basically big piles of stats and damage with nothing else. The Big T has higher physical stats than even great wyrms but is nearly to completely defenseless against things even single-digit level adventurers have. Like flight. Although the Tarrasque does have a couple abilities that mean defeating it isn’t totally effortless aside from the Allip thing.
    (Also, the earliest a PC can normally kill the thing is somewhere in the range of Warlock 11. The creature you are actually looking for is the Mountain Giant,MM2, of course an absolute joke that is, nevertheless, very big and has a lot of hp, which, in turn, made WotC think it's an epic level threat.)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkholme View Post
    I just came across this project recently. What do you guys use to decide which books to do? Is there a queue for after you finish these web monsters?
    No queue as such. People propose stuff and if something's popular and makes sense, it gets a treatment.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-11-17 at 12:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    (Also, the earliest a PC can normally kill the thing is somewhere in the range of Warlock 11. The creature you are actually looking for is the Mountain Giant,MM2, of course an absolute joke that is, nevertheless, very big and has a lot of hp, which, in turn, made WotC think it's an epic level threat.)
    MM2 has plenty of cool ideas, but the CR assignment is probably the worst of any book. And not just over-CR'd; the Clockwork Horrors have at-will Disjunction and yet none of them break CR 15 IIRC.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

MM2 has plenty of cool ideas, but the CR assignment is probably the worst of any book. And not just over-CR'd; the Clockwork Horrors have at-will Disjunction and yet none of them break CR 15 IIRC.
    Oh! Oh! Are we talking about the Elemental Sybils (yes I'm using the french name for these guys‚ it's way better than "weirds") again? 9th level spells‚ regeneration with no bypass‚ prescience and excellent stats. Absolutely a moderate challenge for a party of four level 12 characters.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2023-11-18 at 06:48 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Elemental Sybil? Good term, and it divorces them from the water weirds

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Oh! Oh! Are we talking about the Elemental Sybils (yes I'm using the french name for these guys‚ it's way better than "weirds") again? 9th level spells‚ regeneration with no bypass‚ prescience and excellent stats. Absolutely a moderate challenge for a party of four level 12 characters.
    Oh god, I thought I was having a psychotic break when I saw their CR. I swear either the devs were deciding CR by throwing literal darts or they did this on purpose to screw over DMs who weren’t too familiar with the system. I mean, that second possibility is why trap feats exist so…

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

-0 - Remuko, Beni-Kujaku, remetagross, H_H_F_F
    +0 - loky1109, emulord

-0 takes it. Blood Golem coming up.

And unlike the in-universe-poorly-named Blood Elementals, these things are actually constructs.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2023-11-18 at 02:34 PM.

Show

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    -0 - Remuko, Beni-Kujaku, remetagross, H_H_F_F
    +0 - loky1109, emulord

+0 takes it.
    Huh. Did you mean -0, or am I missing something?

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh god, I thought I was having a psychotic break when I saw their CR. I swear either the devs were deciding CR by throwing literal darts or they did this on purpose to screw over DMs who weren’t too familiar with the system. I mean, that second possibility is why trap feats exist so…
    Don't be ridiculous. Those exist to screw over players who weren’t too familiar with the system.

Well, that or the designers initially thought three HP was a good use of a feat, and didn't want to admit they were wrong when people came back with data from characters who weren't first-level wizards.

Huh. Did you mean -0, or am I missing something?
    The actual post seems to say -0, so it's probably just a typo.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

Size & Type: Large Construct
    Space/Reach: 5'/10'
    HD: 8
    Speed: 30' (can't run)
    Ability Scores: Str +10, Dex +4, Con -, Int -, Wis +0, Cha -10 - Net +4, one penalty
    Natural Armor: 10
    Natural Weapons: Two Primary Slams (1d8 plus Blood Drain - 1d4 damage, 1d2 Con)
    Skill List: N/A
    Body Shape: Any (see text)
    Speech (Languages): No (understands its creators)
    CR: 7
    WotC LA: -
    Our LA: __

These creatures are blind, but have 60' Blindsight. They have irrelevant DR 10/magic. Well, at least these don't have to be asterisked for going into a permanent frenzy.

Their liquid form allows them to take on any shape they wish. While this is labeled as "Alternate Form (Su)", it really is just the shape. You explicitly do not get any abilities or traits of your shape. It is purely aesthetic, and you retain your blood-red color. You are also limited to shapes of your size. At least you probably won't have trouble with body slots, and can maybe even get access to some extra or nonstandard ones. Don't rely on that though, it's very much an "ask your DM" situation.

As many Golems do, the Blood Golem has immunity to any spell that allows for Spell Resistance (or rather, this is what I would assume from a 3.5 conversion instead of the listed "immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities"), with a few specific exceptions. Repair spells function normally. Fire spells grant a Haste effect for one round per die of fire damage that would have been done. Cold spells work as fire spells do, but Slowing the Blood Golem instead (no save).

"Fun" Fact: It takes about 30 gallons of blood to make a Blood Golem. The text doesn't specify, but going by real life this would take at least 20 adult Humans on average.

Show

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

My judgments and medals!

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

You know, it’s probably not worth it but it sounds like that Alternate Form ability would let you squeeze through cracks and stuff. And also probably leave your items behind, admittedly.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

Could work for slipping under a door crack or something if all you need is to open it from the other side.

Show

30. - Top - End - #780
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Could work for slipping under a door crack or something if all you need is to open it from the other side.
    Meh. GhaunadansMComp and SlythsUnd can do the same and more while being vastly more interesting and/or playable. Both come with fewer-to-far-fewer HD too.

As for the rest… It's kinda uninteresting. Defenses are subpar, the stats unimpressive, Blood Drain not something one couldn't get a better version of on a more accessible chassis, and Magic Immunity while strong, as much a curse as it is a blessing. -0 from me.