New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Has playing D&D and other TTRPGs made you more confident? Or helped you in other ways

As someone on the autism spectrum I’ve struggled with self-confidence. But I started playing D&D in high school and have continued to since then. I feel it’s really helped me make friends and be more confident in general. Anyone else have an experience with TTRPGs like this? Where you feel more confident or comfortable with yourself because of gaming? Why do you think that is? Exploring different ideas of yourself as a fictional character in a safe environment? Facing fictional monsters and over the top villains?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Has playing D&D and other TTRPGs made you more confident? Or helped you in other

D&D inspired me to read more different kinds of SF/SFF/Speculative Fiction than I'd been exposed to before. (Moorcock, Howard, Anderson, Burroughs, and many more).

D&D inspired me to study medieval / middle ages / feudal history. This was quite useful when I lived in Italy for a while, in terms of being able to share with my kids what those cathedrals and castles are all about

This in turn was helpful when I tripped over Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror" which covered from the arrest and death of the Knights Templar, lots of how the Plague changed 14th Century Europe, and the disastrous crusader battle at Nicopolis...and when I began to study the crusades (all of them).

D&D inspired me to write a few short stories and a bit of fan fiction.

D&D helped me to get back in touch with my friends from high school (with whom I first began to play D&D) via the invitation in 2014 by my brother to join in the new edition: we can play on line. Our game group is still going and I've seen all of them in person multiple times since I said yes to that invitation, and sadly one of those friends is now dead. Thanks to the reconnection, I got to see him again back in 2019 in Vegas while he was still alive.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-05-15 at 12:13 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Has playing D&D and other TTRPGs made you more confident? Or helped you in other

D&D in particular? Probably did nothing. Roleplaying games in general? Inspired me to go into conventions. Unsurprisingly, going to new places with lots of likeminded people is a great way to net social experiences, gain friends and build connections.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Solamnicknight View Post
    As someone on the autism spectrum IÂ’ve struggled with self-confidence.
    [...]
    Where you feel more confident or comfortable with yourself because of gaming? Why do you think that is?
    [...]
    As someone who has DM'd for and currently DMs for several people with social disorders:

D&D lets you be an idealised version of yourself with little to no consequences for failure. The worst thing that can happen is that your fictional make-pretend character dies, and you have to make a new fictional make-pretend character. Oooh. Not your make-pretend character. You can do whatever you want and nothing actually matters, and the only limitation is your (and the DM's) imagination - and the dice. But the dice are random so it's not like you control that.

D&D is the best thing to ever happen.

D&D is a co-operative game with several other players and your character sucks and isn't pulling their weight. The worst thing that can happen is that your choices cause an entire TPK and everyone's characters that they've been playing for the last six months dies and it's all your fault, and if you - not your character - hadn't made such awful choices that TPK wouldn't have happened. Everything bad that's happened is your fault. Even our favourite NPC died.

D&D is just like everywhere else.

I've seen both. Some people with social disorders have a great time at D&D, and it's everything they thought it would be. Other people have an incredibly bad time and it only reinforces whatever they're already feeling about themselves.

a) What are the table's group dynamics?
    b) Is your character...Bad and not performing the way you want it to?

The answers to those questions determine...A lot. It's why I recommend new players always start with Paladins. Paladins can do basically anything well. You throw a lot of mechanics at them early...Sure, but a good DM will work through that. But their sense of power fantasy (and self-esteem) is very unlikely to be broken if they're playing a Paladin that can do anything. It solves the second question immediately, and, because Paladins can do anything, the answer to [a] doesn't actually matter.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2024-05-16 at 09:07 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I think being a DM can massively help you open up in front of people. It can be scary at first but if you see that people appreciate you and your hobby it will boost your confidence. Though the people you play with have to have an open mind. Especially with younger players they can be quick to dismiss you and then it has the opposite effect. Older DM with younger players to guide can work incredibly well to encourage everyone.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Being a DM has made me a better babysitter organizer and storyteller. Can't speak for being a player since I've played for the majority of my life, I suspect I'd be a different, worse- person without it.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    D&D inspired me to read more different kinds of SF/SFF/Speculative Fiction than I'd been exposed to before. (Moorcock, Howard, Anderson, Burroughs, and many more).

D&D inspired me to study medieval / middle ages / feudal history. This was quite useful when I lived in Italy for a while, in terms of being able to share with my kids what those cathedrals and castles are all about

This in turn was helpful when I tripped over Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror" which covered from the arrest and death of the Knights Templar, lots of how the Plague changed 14th Century Europe, and the disastrous crusader battle at Nicopolis...and when I began to study the crusades (all of them).

D&D inspired me to write a few short stories and a bit of fan fiction.

D&D helped me to get back in touch with my friends from high school (with whom I first began to play D&D) via the invitation in 2014 by my brother to join in the new edition: we can play on line. Our game group is still going and I've seen all of them in person multiple times since I said yes to that invitation, and sadly one of those friends is now dead. Thanks to the reconnection, I got to see him again back in 2019 in Vegas while he was still alive.
    I’ve written fan fiction as well about a couple of my D&D characters and have been working on a fantasy novel for a while now. I also wrote some short stories to help my DM out with NPC ideas that was fun! I’ve also DMED/GMed a few successful games, and hope to find time for more. Another thing I did pick up from TTRPGs that I think is positive is teamwork. I tend to be the one in my gaming group that schedules games and helps coordinate them! PS I distinctly remember that medieval history book “A Distant Mirror” pretty sure it got recommended to me here on the forum! It’s in my Ereader library I’ve been meaning to get through it!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faegames View Post
    I think being a DM can massively help you open up in front of people. It can be scary at first but if you see that people appreciate you and your hobby it will boost your confidence. Though the people you play with have to have an open mind. Especially with younger players they can be quick to dismiss you and then it has the opposite effect. Older DM with younger players to guide can work incredibly well to encourage everyone.
    Ditto on the DM and group public speaking thing. There are a lot of skills to learn such as involving everyone, letting ideas play out, descripitive analysis kf what folks need to do their jobs and seeing other ways of doing things.

One could see the necessary preperation as good practice also.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solamnicknight View Post
    PS I distinctly remember that medieval history book “A Distant Mirror” pretty sure it got recommended to me here on the forum! It’s in my Ereader library I’ve been meaning to get through it!
    It's very good.
    Spoiler: quick book review bit
    Show
    In my opinion A Distant Mirror is one of Tuchman's better books. (The Guns of August is probably her best work). First Salute was sorta OK. Bible and Sword, though comprehensive, isn't of the same quality.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-05-18 at 09:34 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society