New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    "In tha' case I'll be takin' this seat here. But, you see, because yer real self were so cruwel to me own real self outside these tubey things, I be findin' meself obligated to gi' ye yer own puddle o' cat to put in yer lap.
    "Her claws be an inch long, so don't be startlin' the dear Demon-Cat."
    "And while I don't be mindin' the menfolk of piratical persuasion, they c'n be so foul o' times, 'tis only right fair to be foul right back a'em."
    *Petting the cat, perfectly contentedly*

"Sorry? Somethin' about demon claws?"

Ma. Girls are feminine so they're 'ma cherie'.
    Pas de probleme.
    #<.<#; I did say I only had a year of French, almost five years ago. *cough*

Not as amazing as Reaper Man, but excellent nonetheless, as is the movie.
    But . . . trudging?
    Trudging implies a weary, disconsolate walk, facing the future with a downcast, unexpecting gaze. I tried to find the right clip from A Knight's Tale, but I couldn't. So have this showing the excellence that is Chaucer, and proof that thirteenth century peasants knew how to rock. The music starts around 3:08.
    *coughs* Okay, more like skipping merrily through, but it is at a slow pace because of the slowness of getting the books. That part is the trudgery.

The actual book-reading part is the reward.

Still jealous of Terry Pratchett movies in the UK tho...

I have a filthy, filthy mind, and can apparently make anything dirty.
    Oh? I'd very much like to see that. ;o

My legs are numb from the thighs down, and my hips are wailing in agony after enduring a full ninety-seven minutes of cross-legged cat cushioning.

You can have the Demon-Cat.
    Owie...;-; Poor Curly...*gives you a cold pack and a hug*

And women wearing trousers or man-type clothing is still illegal too. Never got repealed. I got a whole book of CrAzY laws like that.
    Somewhere.
    In one of the many boxes and shelves that make up the expanded Koorly Library. It's the node which I use to enter and control all of L-Space you know.
    But...but pants are good! I like pants!

Though...no pants are also good...(/filthy mind)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

It's easy to make an innuendo. Knowing what it is your suggesting is a different thing entirely.
    However, it is possible that my innocence and naivete is mildly exaggerated at time.
    Well, of course, that's the point of the ever ubiquitous phrase, "IF you know what I mean..." *Wink* You don't have to actually know what you mean when you say it.
    And your innocence and naivete is propounded only by you. The rest of us know better.

Lots of iiggling. *nodnod*
    Case in point.

*whimper*
    Curse you.
    Soon, your TV viewing shall be entirely under MY CONTROL!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

There is a cat-puddly on my lap.
    I am a prisoner of the Demon-Cat.
    Send help. Quick.
    OK. As soon as I finish I Can Wear Midnight and so long as I'm not accosted en route by the cat from two doors down.

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Still jealous of Terry Pratchett movies in the UK though...
    Meh. I've heard mixed reviews, and I haven't actually gotten round to watching any of them myself yet. Should do that.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

3. - Top - End - #183

*Petting the cat, perfectly contentedly*

"Sorry? Somethin' about demon claws?"
    "There are now about a dozen one-inch claws perilously close to your gentleman vegetables.
    "Don't move."

#<.<#; I did say I only had a year of French, almost five years ago. *cough*
    Still better than most people.
    To my great, and lasting shame, Little Sister - she who is taking a French GCSE - can't even pronounce 'Quelle heure est-il?' or understand it when spoken. And she has also had French for six years. Admittedly, on three seriously.

*coughs* Okay, more like skipping merrily through, but it is at a slow pace because of the slowness of getting the books. That part is the trudgery.

The actual book-reading part is the reward.

Still jealous of Terry Pratchett movies in the UK tho...
    For the record, which book are you on at the moment? Oh, and by the way, onight I start H2G2 fr the first time.
    Buy them on Amazon? Or find another internet-y way to do so? The Colour of Magic has Tim Curry as Trymon.

Oh? I'd very much like to see that. ;o
    Generally I perform it while accidentally - I'm not trying to - MSTing a film I'm watching with my uni friends.
    At least I didn't profane the sacred memory of A Whole New World from Aladdin; no, that was Friend Who Does French. She ruined it by sayng it was an extended series of euphemisms about sex. No I can't listen to it without thinking 'sexsexsexsexsexsexsexsex!'.

Owie...;-; Poor Curly...*gives you a cold pack and a hug*
    The Demon-Cat has been moved. I can now actually feel my legs. They hurt a lot.

But...but pants are good! I like pants!

Though...no pants are also good...(/filthy mind)
    I keep forgetting that Troglander pants are Britlander trousers. Here pants are undies.
    . . .
    Yeah.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I keep forgetting that Troglander pants are Britlander trousers. Here pants are undies.
    . . .
    Yeah.
    So if I say undies or panties in the UK, will they not know what I'm saying?
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-09-03 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Have just read 2/3 of Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People.

Right now? My eyes see 21st century. My brain sees 7th.

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Well, of course, that's the point of the ever ubiquitous phrase, "IF you know what I mean..." *Wink* You don't have to actually know what you mean when you say it.
    And your innocence and naivete is propounded only by you. The rest of us know better.
    Many things do fly over my head though. I suppose it comes and goes like a tide.

Case in point.
    'Tis true. They can be quite hypnotic. That or so funny you're trying not to widdle yourself laughing.
    Oh, it's cruel to laugh, but I saw a lady who was so well-endowed (and she had a toddler) that when she ran after said toddler said bosoms bounced up and slapped her in the face.
    So cruel, but so funny.
    I was a little ashamed of myself afterwards.

Soon, your TV viewing shall be entirely under MY CONTROL!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    But - but - but then you might try to make me watch something on TV!

OK. As soon as I finish I Can Wear Midnight and so long as I'm not accosted en route by the cat from two doors down.
    I will have read that book by four o'clock tomorrow afternoon! NO SPOILERS!

Meh. I've heard mixed reviews, and I haven't actually gotten round to watching any of them myself yet. Should do that.
    Hogfather's really good and amazingly accurate all things considered; The COlour of Magic isn't as good as Hogfather, mainly because it tries to fit both of the books into one film, and cuts and rearranges things. I've only seen it once, but I'm fairly sure they cut out the visit to the temple of Bel-Shamaroth. Koorilithulu's related to it you know.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    So if I say undies or panties in the UK, will they not know what I'm saying?
    They will. It's iust that panties are generally seen as more sexual than undies.
    And if you say pants referring to trousers you will see a Britlander's brain stop. Pause. Switch to Trogland Dictionary. Understand. Play. All in about a quarter of a second. Then they'll explain what they thought you meant.
    If you look really closely you can even see the dictionary being opened up in the gleam of their eyes.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Have just read 2/3 of Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People.

Right now? My eyes see 21st century. My brain sees 7th.

Hey, snap!
    Were you also amused by kings called Anna, and priests called Ronan and Chad?
    The miracles of Oswald had me smiling a little. If that happened nowadays - with the glowing light and all - people would be screaming UFO.
    And the description of the sparrow in the darkness is truly moving, no matter how many times you've read it, referenced it and quoted it.
    I should have finished Book Four by tonight. Hooray for more dissonance caused by fourteen hundred year old ecclesiastical histories.
    But Lor' lummie, those letters from Pope Gregory were dull. As are the constant explanations about how This, That and The Other Guy calculated Easter.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-09-03 at 04:39 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

They will. It's iust that panties are generally seen as more sexual than undies.
    And if you say pants referring to trousers you will see a Britlander's brain stop. Pause. Switch to Trogland Dictionary. Understand. Play. All in about a quarter of a second. Then they'll explain what they thought you meant.
    If you look really closely you can even see the dictionary being opened up in the gleam of their eyes.
    Me likey the way pretty lady talks. Do it again! Do it again!!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

At least I didn't profane the sacred memory of A Whole New World from Aladdin; no, that was Friend Who Does French. She ruined it by sayng it was an extended series of euphemisms about sex. No I can't listen to it without thinking 'sexsexsexsexsexsexsexsex!'.
    That probably works on anything.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, snap!
    Were you also amused by kings called Anna, and priests called Ronan and Chad?
    The miracles of Oswald had me smiling a little. If that happened nowadays - with the glowing light and all - people would be screaming UFO.
    And the description of the sparrow in the darkness is truly moving, no matter how many times you've read it, referenced it and quoted it.
    I should have finished Book Four by tonight. Hooray for more dissonance caused by fourteen hundred year old ecclesiastical histories.
    But Lor' lummie, those letters from Pope Gregory were dull. As are the constant explanations about how This, That and The Other Guy calculated Easter.
    Oh yes. Ronan and Chad.

The Sparrow in the Darkness bit was also quoted in one of my textbooks . . . I do love it very much. Beautiful. Startlingly so. The letters from Pope Gregory actually interested me because there's such a contrast between what he's saying (pick and choose the best customs from differing Christian traditions! Be lax with those English, as long as they want communion, I say yeah, give it to them!) and what Bede says (It Is The One And True Way, Your Easter Celebration Is One Day Off - the night of the thirteenth, oh horrors! - Those Britons Are Doomed).

Ahhh. Poor Britons. Always stomped on for being different.

I also recently read Tacitus' Agricola, which was immensely readable and had some prose about on par with the sparrow in the darkness passage as well. Even if he did almost as much sucking up to Agricola (his father-in-law, for goodness' sake) as Bede does to Gregory (a chapter-long eulogy? Now, really).

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

"There are now about a dozen one-inch claws perilously close to your gentleman vegetables.
    "Don't move."

"...You win this round, madame..."

For the record, which book are you on at the moment? Oh, and by the way, onight I start H2G2 fr the first time.
    Buy them on Amazon? Or find another internet-y way to do so? The Colour of Magic has Tim Curry as Trymon.
    Feet of Clay. Just got it from the library. So immediately after this, the next book I shall read is...

Hogfather. I've heard many good things about it...

Afterwards I have sixteen books until I have read all the ones that have been published. *Already read The Last Hero and Maruice out of order, because the opportunity presented itself*.

Generally I perform it while accidentally - I'm not trying to - MSTing a film I'm watching with my uni friends.
    I manage to keep myself blissfully ignorant of those things while watching the actual movie. Mostly because I have the uncanny ability to forget subtext.

...It does not serve me well at times though...like when it took me half the movie to realize that the girl from M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" Was blind. ((It was for a class on Mosters, Robots, and Cyborgs in fiction)).

. . .
    Yeah.
    ...*large blush*

ION: Just got a look at my Statistics textbook for this semester (because I'm required to take at least one statistics class, and I chose Qualitative research).

It looks...so...BORING. D: I mean I understand that Qualitative research implies that you go in-depth with understanding the meaning behind people's words, but the chapter is just so excessively verbose it just...ehh...I'll live with it. I'll just have to read it over again so that I understand it.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2010-09-03 at 04:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaroth View Post
    With my eight years of official French study and fluent parents, I'm agreeing with you. What other subjects you doing this year, Rai?
    Sweet, I don't have to feel stupid about being able to wax poetic for hours in English and being utterly incompetent in French again until Tuesday!

I've got Third Year French, Chemistry, Racquet Sports (I love Tennis and Badminton, but honestly, I find PE graduation requirements to be the dumbest thing ever invented), Advanced Placement Statistics, and Advanced Placement United States History/Honors English. Next semester I change out Racquet Sports for Psychology.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Sweet, I don't have to feel stupid about being able to wax poetic for hours in English and being utterly incompetent in French again until Tuesday!
    Yeah, I haven't spake french all summer. I'm gonna be sooo rusty. Mon francais est tres mal. Je suis trop parasseux de chercher le petit chose sous la 'c'.

Hmm. La lettre, 'c', est-il masculine, ou feminine?
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

13. - Top - End - #193

Me likey the way pretty lady talks. Do it again! Do it again!!
    Hey, I iust realised that, since I have proven that the maiority of the people in the world have a [Native Language] -> Troglander Dictionary, and that it is well known that Koorlilithulu and Koorlyshtka manifest in all books, that I can technically control more than three-quarters of the world's population.
    Hell, I could even pull a Weeping Angel on people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    That probably works on anything.
    Tale as old as time
    True as it can be
    Barely even friends
    Then somebody bends
    Unexpectedly

Just a little change
    Small to say the least
    Both a little scared
    Neither one prepared
    Beauty and the Beast

Ever just the same
    Ever a surprise
    Ever as before
    Ever just as sure
    As the sun will rise

Tale as old as time
    Song as old as rhyme
    Bitter sweet and strange
    Finding you can change
    Learning you were wrong

Damnation, you were right. It's all about sex.
    Happy now? Beauty and the Beast's most famous song (arguably) is now all about teh sexytimes.

As is I'll Make A Man Out of You:
    (Be a man)
    We must be swift as the coursing river
    (but not too swift!)
    (Be a man)
    With all the force of a great typhoon
    (To Be a man)
    With all the strength of a raging fire
    Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

I'm never gonna catch my breath
    Say goodbye to those who knew me
    Why was I a fool in school for cutting gym?
    (Well, you certainly need more endurance if you're as fast as a river)

And so on.
    Bogdammit. And there goes my favourite Disney film of recent years. And Hunchback is obvious, so no go.

Oh yes. Ronan and Chad.

The Sparrow in the Darkness bit was also quoted in one of my textbooks . . . I do love it very much. Beautiful. Startlingly so. The letters from Pope Gregory actually interested me because there's such a contrast between what he's saying (pick and choose the best customs from differing Christian traditions! Be lax with those English, as long as they want communion, I say yeah, give it to them!) and what Bede says (It Is The One And True Way, Your Easter Celebration Is One Day Off - the night of the thirteenth, oh horrors! - Those Britons Are Doomed).

Ahhh. Poor Britons. Always stomped on for being different.
    Bede with his ranting. Sigh. Most tiresome part of the book so far. I do like the sound of Pope Gregory though, his letters sound amazing - aside from the aforementioned one dealing with stupidly nitpicky rules and things, but hey.
    Oh, and the Irish Issue With Communion was the worst part! It's fascinating finding out exactly how Easter works out, but to mention about a dozen ways in one (hugenormous) paragraph is a bit much oh Venerable Bede.
    Your rhetoric was splendid, especially your Sparrow Scene and the introduction, which is iust oddly memorrable for some reason, tone down the minutiae, or at least put interesting stuff in between it.

[QUOTE=Dragonrider;9285323]
    I also recently read Tacitus' Agricola, which was immensely readable and had some prose about on par with the sparrow in the darkness passage as well. Even if he did almost as much sucking up to Agricola (his father-in-law, for goodness' sake) as Bede does to Gregory (a chapter-long eulogy? Now, really).
    I've only read a little of Germanicus, but what I've read was good. You can;'t really fault people for sucking up to their patrons though, I've read weirder things.

"...You win this round, madame..."
    "Now, about that drink we were having . . . "

Feet of Clay. Just got it from the library. So immediately after this, the next book I shall read is...

Hogfather. I've heard many good things about it...

Afterwards I have sixteen books until I have read all the ones that have been published. *Already read The Last Hero and Maruice out of order, because the opportunity presented itself*.
    You will love, adore and worship Night Watch. I don't know how high I'd rank Hogfather, but there are many a scene taken individually (especially the one about iustice, truth and hope) that are high up there in the 'most beautiful pieces in the series'.

I manage to keep myself blissfully ignorant of those things while watching the actual movie. Mostly because I have the uncanny ability to forget subtext.

...It does not serve me well at times though...like when it took me half the movie to realize that the girl from M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" Was blind. ((It was for a class on Mosters, Robots, and Cyborgs in fiction)).
    I can't switch it off very well any more. And my mute button tends to malfuction at times, so I can't but help MST things. With Disney at least I can switch it off. Except when it comes to The Sword in the Stone and their recent works. I refuse to accept that Home on the Range is a Disney film.

...*large blush*

:smallsmirk:

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Seriously, learning another language makes me feel like an idiot. A foreign exchange student from Luxembourg was in our class today to talk about his country, and he speaks French, German, Luxembourgish and decent English, and he's a year older than I am. I speak English and bits of French. I'm great at science and math, I'm absurdly good at English and History (for reference, I taught my ex-girlfriend, who was a college student, how to write essays, because she'd been homeschooled and had never really done them. She aced her class.), and generally good at any other elective I take. Language though...Of my best friends, one is in Advanced Placement Spanish Year 5, so he's fairly fluent, a few others speak Hindi, and even my girlfriend speaks Afrikaans, and is arguably better than I am at French.

It's quite demoralizing, because I'd like to become fluent in French and German.
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2010-09-03 at 05:13 PM.
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Seriously, learning another language makes me feel like an idiot. A foreign exchange student from Luxembourg was in our class today to talk about his country, and he speaks French, German, Luxembourgish and decent English, and he's a year older than I am.
    Just be glad you speak English. It is the langage of the Internet and of buisness afterall. Also it breaks its own rules all over the place, so yeah. Be glad you don't have to learn it. I had to leanr English on top of Atlantean. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO SPEAK IN ATLANTEAN?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Not as amazing as Reaper Man, but excellent nonetheless, as is the movie.
    But . . . trudging?
    Trudging implies a weary, disconsolate walk, facing the future with a downcast, unexpecting gaze. I tried to find the right clip from A Knight's Tale, but I couldn't. So have this showing the excellence that is Chaucer, and proof that thirteenth century peasants knew how to rock. The music starts around 3:08.
    I have the sudden desire to watch that movie again. Who couldn't like the combination of knights, jousting, and 80s rock.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Seriously, learning another language makes me feel like an idiot. A foreign exchange student from Luxembourg was in our class today to talk about his country, and he speaks French, German, Luxembourgish and decent English, and he's a year older than I am. I speak English and bits of French. I'm great at science and math, I'm absurdly good at English and History (for reference, I taught my ex-girlfriend, who was a college student, how to write essays, because she'd been homeschooled and had never really done them. She aced her class.), and generally good at any other elective I take. Language though...Of my best friends, one is in Advanced Placement Spanish Year 5, so he's fairly fluent, a few others speak Hindi, and even my girlfriend speaks Afrikaans, and is arguably better than I am at French.

It's quite demoralizing, because I'd like to become fluent in French and German.
    Sure does suck to be amazing at almost everything.

Dang must be awful for you.

Grump grump grump I am feeling grumpy.

18. - Top - End - #198

I've got Third Year French, Chemistry, Racquet Sports (I love Tennis and Badminton, but honestly, I find PE graduation requirements to be the dumbest thing ever invented), Advanced Placement Statistics, and Advanced Placement United States History/Honors English. Next semester I change out Racquet Sports for Psychology.
    You have to do PE to pass? That is stupid, good thing you've only got a term left to do it. When it comes to Britland they don't care if you pass or fail it because frankly, as long as you're not doing a GCSE in it, ou don't get graded in it.
    It's compulsory twice a week, but no grading or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Yeah, I haven't spake french all summer. I'm gonna be sooo rusty. Mon francais est tres mal. Je suis trop parasseux de chercher le petit chose sous la 'c'.

Hmm. La lettre, 'c', est-il masculine, ou feminine?
    Individuellement, les lettres n'ont pas masculin ou feminine. Ils tous feminines parce que'une lettre est feminin.
    Et le charactre que vous le chercez est s'appelle un cedilla.

Well, in all fairness, the maiority of European countries need to be multilingual to understand each other. And some people iust aren't natural linguists. Case in point: one of my secondary school friends took French for eight years, but he only ended up with a G at GCSE, and he tried really hard. Hell, I spent most of Y11 coaching him in preparation for his oral and listening exams.
    Maybe you've iust not got enough exposure to the languages? Try putting some of your old favourites into another language with ENglish subtitles, I did that a fair bit (and still do) and it helps with comprehension.

Just be glad you speak English. It is the langage of the Internet and of buisness afterall. Also it breaks its own rules all over the place, so yeah. Be glad you don't have to learn it. I had to learn English on top of Atlantean. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO SPEAK IN ATLANTEAN?
    Eh, it's the body language that's the trickiest part. See, spending seven months of the year completely underwater limits the movements you can make, so exaggeration is key.
    When it comes to uttering the language, well, there's a Dry Language for the times when we're above or out-of-water, and the Wet language for the other times. The Dry one is more vocal than the other, but there's still a very heavy amount of rounding, making many of the vowels dipthongs or even tripthongs, and the difference between them is so subtle that it's quite common for even an older native Atlantean to mispronounce to basic stuff.
    Such as waoum (to be) for example. Not to mention the constant nasalisation can get a little grating to a visitor after a while.
    Really, it'd be easier for eeryone if they iust switched entirely to a physical language altogether.

The reason English is so hard to learn is because we have no set pronounciation, unlike most other countries and we do steal words from everywhere, so their pronounciation becomes a part of ours.
    And linguistically, we've got Celtic (so Irish, Welsh, Cornish, Max, Briton, Pictish and Gaelic), Latin, the other languages of the Roman Empire, Norman French, Old Norse, Old Saxon (and related languages - so germanic) iust as the base for our language.
    The English language is an ungodly mix of the Romance and Germanic branches of the Indo-European family. So many conflicting rules.
    But they do make sense if you go far back enough.
    Sometimes far back can be so far we've had to reconstruct the entirety of Proto-Indo-European to do so, but eventually the rules tend to make sense. Mostly.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

I suppose I didn't make myself entirely clear. My written French is decent. We take something called the STAMP test, which stands for something but I forget. I took it the end of last year, and ended up with a rating of Low Intermediate level on Speaking, Written, and Reading Comprehension, which was above average for a Year 2 student. Still, given a dictionary and ample time, I can write French pretty well for my year. Speaking it off the top of my head...I stutter, mispronounce things, choke on my words, and generally sound like a moron.

And yes, to graduate from high school in my district, we need three semesters of PE. Freshmen take Freshman PE, Sophomores take Sophomore PE (Which has Health tied into it), and then somewhere in the four years you need another PE credit.

20. - Top - End - #200

I suppose I didn't make myself entirely clear. My written French is decent. We take something called the STAMP test, which stands for something but I forget. I took it the end of last year, and ended up with a rating of Low Intermediate level on Speaking, Written, and Reading Comprehension, which was above average for a Year 2 student. Still, given a dictionary and ample time, I can write French pretty well for my year. Speaking it off the top of my head...I stutter, mispronounce things, choke on my words, and generally sound like a moron.

And yes, to graduate from high school in my district, we need three semesters of PE. Freshmen take Freshman PE, Sophomores take Sophomore PE (Which has Health tied into it), and then somewhere in the four years you need another PE credit.

I have a decent accent, and I'm one of the best in my class, but I'm not so good at understanding and speaking French in conversation. I can read and write well, but conversations confuzzle me.

I wish I could take more PE classes. I did 2 years, but in my school, in the IB program, there's no option to continue PE. Which is too bad.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

21. - Top - End - #201

Many things do fly over my head though. I suppose it comes and goes like a tide.
    IF you know what I mean...
    Sorry, after reading through several posts of everything is really about sex' it iust sprang to mind.

But - but - but then you might try to make me watch something on TV!
    Only if it's good.

I will have read that book by four o'clock tomorrow afternoon! NO SPOILERS!
    There are feegles. Have I ruined it for you?

Hogfather's really good and amazingly accurate all things considered; The Colour of Magic isn't as good as Hogfather, mainly because it tries to fit both of the books into one film, and cuts and rearranges things. I've only seen it once, but I'm fairly sure they cut out the visit to the temple of Bel-Shamaroth. Koorilithulu's related to it you know.
    The little bits of Hogfather I've seen looked good. TCoM is the one I've heard the most negative things about. Bits I saw of Going Postal looked decent, though they certainly changed some little bits, Gilt doesn't look florid enough and Vetinari's hair's the wrong colour.

Hey, I iust realised that, since I have proven that the maiority of the people in the world have a [Native Language] -> Troglander Dictionary, and that it is well known that Koorlilithulu and Koorlyshtka manifest in all books, that I can technically control more than three-quarters of the world's population.
    Hell, I could even pull a Weeping Angel on people.
    That which holds the image of a Koorly becomes itself a Koorly.
    So... that would make my computer you?

Yep. It was the same when I went to Hungary, met some school students who all spoke english.
    And for that matter, DD.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

22. - Top - End - #202

IF you know what I mean...
    Sorry, after reading through several posts of everything is really about sex' it iust sprang to mind.
    It could be worse. I could do it to Snow White or Pinocchio. And the only reason I spelled that correctly first time off is because we have the original VHS of Pinnochio sitting aabout four or five feet away from me on a diagonal line.

Only if it's good.
    I suppose . . .

There are feegles. Have I ruined it for you?
    A Tiffany book tends to have Feegles in it, so no.

The little bits of Hogfather I've seen looked good. TCoM is the one I've heard the most negative things about. Bits I saw of Going Postal looked decent, though they certainly changed some little bits, Gilt doesn't look florid enough and Vetinari's hair's the wrong colour.
    So they didn't get the Vetinari of TCoM? I do think it;d be a fairly big style problem if Reacher Gilt wasn't florid and over the top though. I have the DVD somewhere in the house, it too shall be watched.

That which holds the image of a Koorly becomes itself a Koorly.
    So... that would make my computer you?
    Pretty much yeah.

Yep. It was the same when I went to Hungary, met some school students who all spoke english.
    And for that matter, DD.
    DD had a cute accent. Very good command of the language as well, I blame the television.

EDIT OF ANGER!:
    Someone sent me an email and put spoilers of I Shall Wear Midnight in it.
    Luckily I only read a very, very, very small one.
    There's some dude called The Cunning Man.
    Sadly, this whatever it is, is now called Baldrick of the CUnning Plan.
    How badly has that ruined the book?
    Probably a bit considering I think Bladrick of the Cunning Plan is meant to be a villain.
    The person who sent me that email is going to face my wrath. And it is righteous.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-09-03 at 06:30 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Tale as old as time
    True as it can be
    Barely even friends
    Then somebody bends
    Unexpectedly

Just a little change
    Small to say the least
    Both a little scared
    Neither one prepared
    Beauty and the Beast

Ever just the same
    Ever a surprise
    Ever as before
    Ever just as sure
    As the sun will rise

Tale as old as time
    Song as old as rhyme
    Bitter sweet and strange
    Finding you can change
    Learning you were wrong

Damnation, you were right. It's all about sex.
    Happy now? Beauty and the Beast's most famous song (arguably) is now all about teh sexytimes.

(Be a man)
    (but not too swift!)
    (Be a man)
    (To Be a man)

And so on.
    Bogdammit. And there goes my favourite Disney film of recent years. And Hunchback is obvious, so no go.
    Hmm...I think you'd have problems with "Bear Necessities"...

No, please don't try.

"Now, about that drink we were having . . . "
    "Yes, about that drink...er...what drink was that again?"

You will love, adore and worship Night Watch. I don't know how high I'd rank Hogfather, but there are many a scene taken individually (especially the one about iustice, truth and hope) that are high up there in the 'most beautiful pieces in the series'.
    Night Watch I am looking forward to. I have Monstrous Regiment already, and I can pretty much slide right into Jingo after Hogfather.

Just read the first two pages of Feet of Clay...something about Golems...I'm waiting for it to surprise me.

I can't switch it off very well any more. And my mute button tends to malfuction at times, so I can't but help MST things. With Disney at least I can switch it off. Except when it comes to The Sword in the Stone and their recent works. I refuse to accept that Home on the Range is a Disney film.
    Did you know that Back to the Future was almost a Disney Film? The only thing keeping it from happening was that the Disney Execs were a little icked out by the whole "incestuous relations" thing. True story.

Hmm...I seem to be replying to Koorly a lot. Then again, she always has something interesting to say. I might as well hit the "add quote" button every time I see her post, and read what she wrote afterward.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

(Be a man)
    (but not too swift!)
    (Be a man)
    (To Be a man)

And so on.
    That's my favorite Disney by far. RUINED!

Bede with his ranting. Sigh. Most tiresome part of the book so far. I do like the sound of Pope Gregory though, his letters sound amazing - aside from the aforementioned one dealing with stupidly nitpicky rules and things, but hey.
    Oh, and the Irish Issue With Communion was the worst part! It's fascinating finding out exactly how Easter works out, but to mention about a dozen ways in one (hugenormous) paragraph is a bit much oh Venerable Bede.
    Your rhetoric was splendid, especially your Sparrow Scene and the introduction, which is iust oddly memorrable for some reason, tone down the minutiae, or at least put interesting stuff in between it.
    Venerable, Venerable Bede . . . .

Wouldn't you love to have a name like that?

The Venerable Bede? O Bede, let us venerate you!

Or is it in the other sense, that is, Old Bede? Probably. Which is just as well because as interesting as he was, I, uh, just am not feelin' the veneration here.

Though he managed to define historical discussion of the Celtic Churches v. the Roman Church into the 21st century - because of Bede historians set it up as a One Versus the Other when actually there wasn't enough of a united Celtic church for that to be in any way possible. Bede constructed a historical story that fit his purposes (have the Good Guys - Romans - beat the Bad Guys - Celts -) and people didn't question it.

Weird.

I've only read a little of Germanicus, but what I've read was good. You can;'t really fault people for sucking up to their patrons though, I've read weirder things.
    Well, his Agricola was written after the guy died. So he's eulogizing. But it's weird, he spends half the time talking about the Britons (whom Agricola defeated rather spectacularly) as ignorant uneducated barbarians and the other half playing up the "noble savage" side, going on about how when they adopted Roman practices they thought they were entering civilization but actually were following the customs of their own enslavement.

And of course it was he who penned the famous "leave a desert and call it peace" line, in the mouth of a Briton chieftain just before the noble Agricola slaughters him and his men

So make of that what you will.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it my imagination, or has PAX caused Penny Arcade to forget to post their comic?
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Is it my imagination, or has PAX caused Penny Arcade to forget to post their comic?
    I think that signs of Duke Nukem Forever finally emerging are excuse enough for anything.

Hell is freezing over as we speak.
    Last edited by Snares; 2010-09-03 at 07:05 PM.
    cool avatar by araveugnitsuga

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

I was going to see a movie with my friends, but then I learned we were going to the ghetto theatre. And the only reason they're going to that one is because one girl's mom dosen't want to pick her up from the slightly farther away, clean theatre (with icecream!). How lazy is that!?
    ____

28. - Top - End - #208

Hmm...I think you'd have problems with "Bear Necessities"...

No, please don't try.
    I mean the
    Bare necesseties
    Are mother nature's
    Recipes
    That bring the bare necessities to life

I have now ruined The Iungle Book for you as well. And for myself. But that is an easy one to do; there are much harder ones out there.

"Yes, about that drink...er...what drink was that again?"
    "I do believe you were buying me a drink. And then we were going to . . . talk. Yes . . . talk."

Night Watch I am looking forward to. I have Monstrous Regiment already, and I can pretty much slide right into Jingo after Hogfather.

Just read the first two pages of Feet of Clay...something about Golems...I'm waiting for it to surprise me.
    Feet of Clay is one of my favourite Watch books. And there are some fairly big twists, I was surprised as all hell when I first read it.
    Monstrous Regiment is good, not up to usual Discworld standards, but still rather good.

Did you know that Back to the Future was almost a Disney Film? The only thing keeping it from happening was that the Disney Execs were a little icked out by the whole "incestuous relations" thing. True story.
    Huh.
    Oh, there's a thought. Who Framed Roger Rabbit and The Nightmare before Christmas. Awesomeness. Anyone else remember back when Disney pushed boundaries with what seemed like every other film they released?

Hmm...I seem to be replying to Koorly a lot. Then again, she always has something interesting to say. I might as well hit the "add quote" button every time I see her post, and read what she wrote afterward.
    I have an effect similar to the Weeping Angels, but without the killing.

That's my favorite Disney by far. RUINED!
    I blame Pyrian and myself. He said it was easy to do, and umm, I've effectively had part or the entirety of Mulan's soundtrack stuck in my head since I saw the original trailers back when it was first released.
    And the line 'How could I make a man out of you?' iust stuck out.
    I hated myseld the instant I thought it, so I had to spread the misery.

Venerable, Venerable Bede . . . .

Wouldn't you love to have a name like that?

The Venerable Bede? O Bede, let us venerate you!

Or is it in the other sense, that is, Old Bede? Probably. Which is just as well because as interesting as he was, I, uh, just am not feelin' the veneration here.
    'Tis Bede who is worthy of veneration. That meaning. It also helps that he was quite old when he wrote it, so it's a two-fer.
    I don't really feel the veneration too much, when he hits a great passage sure, and I can love him as the founder of British history, but he gets on his soapbox a little too often.

Though he managed to define historical discussion of the Celtic Churches v. the Roman Church into the 21st century - because of Bede historians set it up as a One Versus the Other when actually there wasn't enough of a united Celtic church for that to be in any way possible. Bede constructed a historical story that fit his purposes (have the Good Guys - Romans - beat the Bad Guys - Celts -) and people didn't question it.

Weird.
    Weeellllll, way back when, everyone was a fanboy for Bede, so they took his word as God's word. And thus we have Bede's Unified Celtic Church of Wrongness.
    I do think it got a little confused in the telling as he does sort of, maybe, possibly imply that there were multiple Celtic churches. Iust, not very well.

Well, his Agricola was written after the guy died. So he's eulogizing. But it's weird, he spends half the time talking about the Britons (whom Agricola defeated rather spectacularly) as ignorant uneducated barbarians and the other half playing up the "noble savage" side, going on about how when they adopted Roman practices they thought they were entering civilization but actually were following the customs of their own enslavement.

And of course it was he who penned the famous "leave a desert and call it peace" line, in the mouth of a Briton chieftain just before the noble Agricola slaughters him and his men

So make of that what you will.
    Can I call Agricola fanboy? Because I do. Tacitus was an Agricola fanboy.
    Natch, my Discworld exposure has me always on the verge of calling Tacitus Tacticus (after whom tactics were named ) and thinking 'I can see your house from up here.' in Disc Latin; but hey.

ION:
    That Slender Man thread got me reading through TVTropes about the mythos again and the various blogs and whatnot.
    How odd is it that I'm actually contemplating a blog with serious analysis of the Slender Man and why he became so popular so quickly.
    As a bonus, if I ever got bored iust analysing the symbolism, possible 'real life' precendents and whatnot behind an internet meme I could always get a friend with a long blogging history in on the ioke.
    Start mentioning how my friend wants to play a ioke on his friend (with a sporadic blog of about sixteen to twenty months) and so he starts using my blog analysis as a base to make his friend (now called Bob) freak out.
    The ebst way to do it would be to show Bob marble Hornets about five or six months before starting the prank. Get him to make a post about it - note: he has to be quite sceptical - and dismiss it entirely, but enioy the scares.
    Then My Friend would start his kicks. ANd he'd be posting comments on my blog; and I'd be referencing his actions; he himself wouldn't actually mention it on his blog for obvious reasons.
    Then Bob would slowly become convinced that The Slender Man was real, and become edgy, paranoid and a little . . . off; before having him finally attack 'The Slender Man' in terror.
    My analysis blog would then - say a week after the 'event' - comment on what happened.
    "This is what happens when people take internet memes too seriously." or something. Of course, I would then spend the entire post begging people not to do this etc. because effectively stalking someone is a BAD IDEA especially as it lead to having My Friend be seriously iniured and scarred for life.
    I would then resume my analysis blog, but very shaikly and irregularly for a couple of months.
    Then resume as normal.

Yeah. Never let me near a meme which got out of control and has substance behind it.
    Still.
    It's a damn cool idea. Plus I believe it goes against typical Slender Man stuff where he actually exists. So Bob's blog would seem to be a typical Slender Man blog, until it gets out of hand.
    Deconstructing memes about humanoid eldritch abominations - even in theory - is fun.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Rule number 2 of FB is that this isn't FFRP, so please avoid ongoing roleplay here.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

I blame Pyrian and myself.
    I blame credit you. I've been trying to corrupt DeeRee for years.
    Pyrian's LiveJournal