New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Wadledo's Weirdly Warbling Watercress Watching Washing Machine Only Random Banter

Hmm, I was looking for this (in Chinese), this (no commentary) or this (with commentary) when I discovered this. Sweet.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Wadledo's Weirdly Warbling Watercress Watching Washing Machine Only Random Banter

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Sun Tzu and Lovecraft? Hmm...

"Proper Logistics of Great One Unit Deployment"? "Unspeakable Horrors and Interrogation"? "Rl'yegh Defense Strategies"?
    You win a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Wikipedia NEVER had me busy for a whole day the way TV Tropes did. If Wikipedia is a Time Killer, TV Tropes is a Time Genocider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    If you squint really hard, this is the plot of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97
    Is the entirety of WoD made up of small decrepid ghost towns?

Inigo Montoya avatar by Serpentine.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    ...And my day is made, thank you.
    Me or the other guy?

The other guy was funnier.....
    Ceikatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer
    Homeschoolers pwn
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar
    Hey, whatja know.
    Homeschoolers do pwn.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was Ninja'ed?! You did make me think of Karma Sutra + Dr. Seuss. So therefore I hold you responsible for the injuries incurred while beating said thought out of my head...

I also have to go find myself a copy of Mao Tse-Tung's On Guerilla Warfare...
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

5. - Top - End - #245

Well, I hit the Barnes and Nobles todaywith abunch of giftcards I had saved up. I wanted to get some books that I haven't read and would look niceon my bookshelf (I treat mybookshelf like a reading resume). The cashiers' reaction: "wow. Sun Tzu and Lovecraft, what an interesting combination."
    Dear adults: Yes, I am a teenager who enjoys reading. Yes I read books that were meant for people three times my age. Can we move on please?
    Maybe it really did just strike him/her as an odd pairing, for whatever reason.

Once I bought a book on the war in Chechnya along with a collection of military-themed erotica. I didn't realize until I was halfway to the car that this was a particularly unfortunate combination.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

6. - Top - End - #246

Whoops, I realize that Icombined two different thoughts here...
    The cashier did think it was an interesting combination, and my reply to adults was just meant to the adults I imagined who would see my reading those books...

7. - Top - End - #247

I was Ninja'ed?! You did make me think of Karma Sutra + Dr. Seuss. So therefore I hold you responsible for the injuries incurred while beating said thought out of my head...

Here ?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #248

Pshhhhhhh Kama Sutra and Dr Seuss. That's almost TOO easy But very nice at the same time. I apologize for the brain damage

I do get creeped out by the people who beeline to True Crime and get a whole stack of Zodiac killer books........Makes you wonder what they're going to do...

I'm failing to see your train of thought on finding the guerilla warfare book.......but ok!
    Ceikatar
    Homeschoolers pwn
    Hey, whatja know.
    Homeschoolers do pwn.

9. - Top - End - #249

@ Rawhide: Oooh, thankee kindly!

I was just thinking of Sun Tzu and remembered good ole Mao...

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

Sun Tzu's The Art of War is pretty good. So are Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince and Francis Bacon's On Empire, IMO.

Edit: I also have a spiffy new Bathatar.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2008-03-29 at 12:46 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

I /really/ need to start reading art o' war some day.

12. - Top - End - #252

*sigh* I only have a few days left to taunt people, so...

Spoiler
    Show

HIIII!

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not sure if what I have is the full 'Art of War', or if it's just a collection of random quotes from it. Probably the latter, since it's a small, pocket book type thing, as opposed to the big things I normally see

I hope the original's better though. This just contains a bunch of quotes saying things like 'To win, you need to be better than your opponent' and 'In war, it's a good idea not to lose'. Gee, Sun Tzu, I didn't know your alter-ego was Captain Obvious
    New Avatar by Dr. Bath. Many thanks

Spoiler
    Show

Ki-Glaivemaster by Quincunx

See the real Glaivemaster

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkin View Post
    Greek Gorgons certainly did not look like big metal cows.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glaivemaster View Post
    I'm not sure if what I have is the full 'Art of War', or if it's just a collection of random quotes from it. Probably the latter, since it's a small, pocket book type thing, as opposed to the big things I normally see

I hope the original's better though. This just contains a bunch of quotes saying things like 'To win, you need to be better than your opponent' and 'In war, it's a good idea not to lose'. Gee, Sun Tzu, I didn't know your alter-ego was Captain Obvious
    You never know. Before the book was written it may not of been so clear.

<Puts on ancient general hat>
    *scribbles*
    "'To win... you need to be... better than your opponent...'. Of course! Its so simple! How couldn't I have seen it before???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

As something completely random...I am finally watching Firefly (Andre got the series for me for Christmas) and I now understand Lilly's avvies and sig.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    As something completely random...I am finally watching Firefly (Andre got the series for me for Christmas) and I now understand Lilly's avvies and sig.
    Good for you.
    Related subject: why is Firefly considered something of an initiation ceremony among nerds and geeks. I hadn't noticed that it was particularly geeky, etc...?
    Last edited by TRM; 2008-03-29 at 09:52 AM.
    silver

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

It's an initiation ceremony? I thought it was just people trying to share the joy.
    It's not particularly geeky, but geeks are the ones who discovered the series after it was canceled.

18. - Top - End - #258

I got introduced to it by a friend who found it from the film which ob came out after the series was cancelled

tho i must admit i thought it was kind of random when he put the box set under my nose and told me to go watch...
    *runs off and hides*

My One And Only Trophy

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    It's an initiation ceremony? I thought it was just people trying to share the joy.
    It's not particularly geeky, but geeks are the ones who discovered the series after it was canceled.
    After it was cancelled? I'm pretty sure geeks discovered it as soon as their beloved tv writer first announced it.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

The same happened with me. "Ooohh...Now I get it!!" =O
    I also felt slightly cooler, now that it made sense. Heh... How are you liking it? I should borrow the series from my friends, again, and watch it again... hrm.

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Firbolg in the Playground

I want too many booooooooks!
    Ł25 is just too small a birthday budget. Sure, I got the Hogfather DVD () but there were about fourteen or so books I wanted.
    Strangely enough; The Art of War was one of them. Then there was:
    Revelation by C. J. Sansom. I love him as a writer. Ths book is about a serial killer/ insane/religious fanatic believing in the end of the world (age 14)/ murders, political intrigue and much mmore all set in 1543, London.
    [I]The Last Wish[/] by a Polish author whose name I can't write. Or pronounce. Because it sounds absolutely amazing.
    Robin Hobbs' series.
    Lovecraft.
    And a good dozen more because I quite simply want to read them all.

It has finally become possible for me to walk into a bookshop and leave with money.
    A bad day indeed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer View Post
    I also felt slightly cooler, now that it made sense. Heh... How are you liking it? I should borrow the series from my friends, again, and watch it again... hrm.
    ...or you could come here and watch it with me! Eh? Eh? *hugs*
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

I still haven't watched it, which makes me feel terrible.
    I love Buffy so very much, yet I have not seen Whedon's take on sci fi.
    Must... acquire... DVDs...

Oh, and don' you hate it when you lose total track of time?
    I just accidentally played BioShock for about 5-6 hours straight without anybody telling me.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, yeah, I've been meaning to ask: what's Firefly?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    TV show. Good one. Whedon.

...*kidnaps and forces you to watch it*...and now you know! ^_^
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer View Post
    It's pretty good. I'm only on the second disc, so I have quite a few left to watch. I have to wait until it's my turn for the tv, so no watching the entire series at one time I quite like the whole futuristic cowboys theme.

That one actress has been in just about every sci-fi/fantasy series that's been out in like the last 10 years.

Today I'm trying to post in between packing boxes. It's working out ok. Pack a box, post for a minute, pack another box, read a few threads....on the whole I think it's easier then trying to force myself to just pack
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

27. - Top - End - #267

Today I'm trying to post in between packing boxes. It's working out ok. Pack a box, post for a minute, pack another box, read a few threads....on the whole I think it's easier then trying to force myself to just pack
    It's a good idea. Basically what I'm doing with my eeeeeevil paper I'm writing.

It's approaching 8 pages and I've only summed up one idea.... I shouldn't have gotten so general with it. Meh

*contemplates watching Firefly*

*smacks self and goes back to paper writing*
    Ceikatar
    Homeschoolers pwn
    Hey, whatja know.
    Homeschoolers do pwn.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Read!
    It's pure awesome win covered in... win? And I say this as someone who doesn't really like watching tv/movies/etc... and I loved it. Go find the DVDs. There are only like, what, 14 episodes ('cos Fox is a bastard and canceled it)? And then go watch Serenity (movie) after... puts some closure on the whole thing, and it's fantastic too.
    Last edited by Ego Slayer; 2008-03-29 at 11:48 AM.

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, so Serenity comes after Firefly? I was wondering...Andre thought it came first.

I was also getting concerned as to how the DVDs will finish up, as I know the series was cancelled and they usually end a season with a cliffhanger.

Maybe I'll pick up the movie as well at some point.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

30. - Top - End - #270
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    I mean it's one thing to have manly armpit hair but yet another thing lift up your arm and find Vorpal Tribble there.
    Not a chance of finding me under a guy's arm. I have standards, y'know. I'm only to be found under french women's arms.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-03-29 at 12:06 PM.