New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The passion is gone...

So, After playing the game for quite some time I have come to learn I get the most satisfaction out of character creation/optimization. I've churned out three in the last two days alone. Anyway, currently I have lost any creative spark I may have had and I am currently at a loss as to what to create next.

So... anyone have any character concepts they have been toying with but haven't got around to actually trying? I suppose what I am asking is for people to give me something to build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gygax;
    The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The passion is gone...

Create the best non-magical build you can that is able to hold its own heading into Epic-level play. No spell-casting, spell-like abilities or supernatural abilities allowed. Class choices would include: Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger (CotW Variant from CC p50), Rogue, Knight, Samurai, Swashbuckler, Scout, Marshal, Warblade, Crusader, Commoner, Warrior, Expert, Aristocrat, and any other class or prestige class that has only extraordinary abilities.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

For an upcoming campaign I need a Goblin Religious Adept, that is an Adept NPC class that can add the spells of one domain to it's spell list and gain the power of the domain. The campaign will start at 1st level and will go until 10-12th level, we will be a party of one Adept(me), two Warriors, and one Expert. All of us will be Goblins, I will be focusing on battlefield control and buffing. The challenges of this campaign will be very difficult (1-3 CR above ECL) so I will need to use out of combat spells to help us such as animate dead. I would prefer a way to give my party some ability to stay alive and away from combat so I think animate dead will be essential after level 8 but I need a good way to contribute to combat at level 1-7.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have another tread open for this, but I would love to get your input!

- Level 20 gestalt
    - standard WBL
    - NPC in a new setting. Its not a player.
    - all books, all dragon, all settings, all items, all spells,....(if its printed its a go)
    - no homebrew, no 3rd part
    - Stick to RAW (as far as possible, then logic and RAI)
    - uber-powerful up to being completely unplayable as a PC, but not Pun-Pun or divine ranks. (positive feedback loops ok, if you don't go too crazy)
    - he simply wants to have a happy, relaxed life (or unlife) and follow his hobby
    - he simply wants to mess with the world, half boredom half curiosity.
    - has no interest in fighting or defeating anything. none!
    - he will never encounter anything that is even remotely at his level so he is not too paranoid, but not careless or stupid.
    - wants to remain unknown and more of an observer then an actor in the world, even if he sometime orchestrates events.

here is a link to my other tread:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261787
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Good job, Wookiee-Ranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by LanSlyde View Post
    So, After playing the game for quite some time I have come to learn I get the most satisfaction out of character creation/optimization. I've churned out three in the last two days alone. Anyway, currently I have lost any creative spark I may have had and I am currently at a loss as to what to create next.

So... anyone have any character concepts they have been toying with but haven't got around to actually trying? I suppose what I am asking is for people to give me something to build.
    ... I think this calls for a change of setting, or even a change of system.
    I've noticed that too much D&D without any change can easily burn you out.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

There's a concept I've been toying with for a while, but not been able to properly optimize. I'm looking to play a Drow Barbarian, who has been raised by lizard-folk (bonus points if this can be thematically worked into the character). The character need not be full Barbarian, can be made in either 3.5 or Pathfinder (but preferably not both).

Bonus points if you can work in him fighting with a Two-Bladed Sword.
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

32 pb Gestalt VoP pixie totemist//druid built level by level

I've played around with it some, but I would like to see someone else take a stab at it.

The limits
    druid casting must get 9s by 20
    Must remain neutral good entire time (which also precludes chaos shuffle)
    No more than 6 total la
    1 flaw
    1 trait
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

An magical Archer (not an archer Magician, so spells to boost yourself mainly).
    An mythic exemplar build with a dip in Paladin (mainly keeping the "Knight" vibe).
    An Duelist (the PrC, and that might be hard, you could also try Arcane Archer) as him being the best 1v1 he can be.
    Someone that can find any information in the world (gather information, knowgledges, diplomacy... etc.).

Is there a way to see some of the builds you have made? Im still learning so good reading materials are apprieciated .

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I've been working on a spirit shaman mailman style blaster, but I cannot seem to put the build together completely. Divine blasters just do not seem as good.

Standard WBL
    35 point buy
    1-2 flaws max
    Approx same level of optimization as the mailman sorcerer
    Druid would be ok if you can find a good reason for it
    No LA buyoff =/

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm in the begining stages of a Gestalt Spellthief.
    -level 7
    -Favored Class has to be full on. So Spellthief 7//Class X
    -No Flaws
    -All WotC material
    -No Dragon Magazines
    -32 point buy

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just an idea:

The Dragonest Dragon of all Dragon.
    Everything dragon, race, templates, classes, items, etc...all need to have to do something with dragons!
    got bored last night, thought of that.
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Good job, Wookiee-Ranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Build Captain Hammer and/or Doctor Horrible.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

13. - Top - End - #13

Well then! A number of requests, I will build them in order of posting and PM the results to whoever requested the character. Be patient with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gygax;
    The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Make the monk CONCEPT work. Unarmed, non-armored fighting. Use any race or class.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Iaijutsu focused factotum/iaijutsu master is always fun to build since they can end up completely different each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd be a sad panda if you just PMd them, and a happy panda if you could post some of your ideas! I'd be happy to read them (or, alternatives, PM me the things as well ;) )

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

I've had a concept I've wanted to play for a while, though I have yet to find a good game for it, so I guess I'd like to see a full progression, if you're up to it.

What's the most power you can wring out of a Pathfinder Aasimar Rogue with an NG alignment, with no obvious physical indicators of being an Aasimar but still using that in some interesting way?

Alternate racial traits are fine, preferably some method of hiding or camouflaging the use of the spell-like, because she hides her heritage because she believes people will try to take advantage of her if they know what she is.

Preferably a melee character, 25 point buy, two traits, etc.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LanSlyde View Post

Have you thought about getting into the Iron Chef competitions?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I would use the random flaw generator from an older 3.0 book called Distinctions and Drawbacks.

it puts UA to shame, and has some CRAZY fun stuff in it :).

Then, randomly choose one of the class variants from the non-magical lists.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fiend of Possession

Little to no cheese. Entry as early as possible, and going the full 6 levels.
    Other than taking over the monster, the character should bring something else to the party. Examples:
    Skillmonkey
    Artificer
    Caster who can cast stilled/silenced/no materials (since you are possessing)
    somethings I did not think of

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

If I were in your position, and I just wanted the freedom of playing whatever, I would leave most of it to chance. I would ask your DM if you could roll your stats (modest rolls, say 4d6), create your own random chart based on the highest ECL allowed for starting.

Do the same for say a list of base classes. flaws, all that.

But YOU make the back ground and see where your DM plops you down.

You could also try DMinging.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hello I need a little help optimizing a build for a Midnight game I'm in. Details are here.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262308

Any help would be much apreciated.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!