New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0701-#0800]) [Semi #1]

Welcome to The Stick Awards II: Second Edition!

The Stick Awards are handed out to the best strips of all time as chosen by our fellow Playgrounders.

Over the next few days, we're taking a bit of a break and entering The Best of the Hundred Tournament for Comics #701 - #800 as we take the time to decide which of the strips really are the best of best.

For full details about the Stick Awards, and any questions about them, please check out the main thread here.

To read more about the original Stick Awards, created by Nazzo, the 102nd, please read his thread here.

To vote in this thread, simply state which comic of the five listed is your favorite. Bolding the number of the comic (Like this) helps it stand out.

Voting, which only lasts five days during the Best of the Hundred Tournament will close on April 19th, 4pm EDT. Any votes made after that will NOT count toward the totals.

The winner of this semi-final will go on to the finals which will be held after the second semi-final is done. The two strips that get the most votes during the semis that DIDN'T win, will also reach the finals. So voting is extra special important this time around, as it will determine who the 'Wild Card' entrants are.

Last week, 800 Right Tool for the Job had an epiphany about how to finally best its rivals in this competition. The judges agreeed with its novel strategy of using other strips as a weapon and merrily sent it on its way to the Best of the Hundred tournament.

And with the final entrant entering (or exiting depending on how one looks at it) the arena, now we can have them do battle with strips more up to their level of competeance. So lets figure ot which of these strips is worthy to be considered the best (well, of this Hundred at least) by voting in.....

................THE STICK AWARDS II:
    BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT (701-800)
    ..............(Semi-Final #1)

Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0701-#0800]) [Semi #1]

723 - Easily one of my favorite moments from this comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorteld View Post
    I'm sorry if this is showing a complete lack of respect for the gravity of the situation, but...

AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

That was priceless.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Dang, I really want to vote for #750 again, but I have to go for Tarquin's reveal in #723.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

4. - Top - End - #4

750 is fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

#723: Number Seven Hundred and Twenty-Three
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2015-04-14 at 09:31 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Some good ones here. I especially enjoy 737 and 750. However, I think #723 deserves the win here.

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Surprisingly, most of these are only a fair amount above average. I thought I remembered some really stellar ones from this part of the book.

Anyway, 723: Generally Relative is the best one here, I think. 750 has great non-traditional panel layout, and I really like its message(s) and everything else about it, but it just can't beat out a strip that resolves a subplot 673 strips in coming.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hmm, I'm going to need a bit time to think about this one. The one thing I know is that I'm not voting for 718.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Nice selection! I'm going to jump onto the bandwagon for 723 for Tarquin's reveal, establishing Tarquin's character, a Star Wars joke, and V's comment at the end.
    Last edited by Elenna; 2015-04-15 at 12:07 AM.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueWizardGirl

Well, it's definitely between 704 and 750 for me. I'm going to eschew strategic voting and vote for 704, in favour of Gobbotopia and refreshingly direct theological revelations.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

A pity for 704, but the best one here it's 723
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

723 is my winner here. It is indeed a pity to 704, which is also fantastic, but heredity is a cruel mistress.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Why are these decisions always so brutally hard? This strip needs to be less consistently awesome so there can be one clear stand out. I adore both 723 and 750. 723 has an awesome reveal that I did not expect--that Tarquin is not only Elan's father, which we all knew was coming, but that he was a lot like Elan. And boy, did that turn out to be relevant down the line. 750 is a little more unsettling. Elan having his best day ever, spending time with his father while we can see the awful things that the Empire of Blood is built on... well, it's funny, but in a very dark way. And then there are the scenes with Haley and Vaarsuvius freeing the slaves, and Durkon crafting a spell and laughing with Malack, all of which seem innocent until we know what happens later.

They're both fantastic, and fantastic in some similar ways. After an embarrassing amount of consideration, I'm going to have to give it to 750 for its non-traditional panel layout. Plus, I'm a sucker for (mostly) silent strips that let the pictures tell the story. It was impressive when Calvin and Hobbes did it, and it's impressive here.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

723 --
    -- I am your voter.
    *gasp!*
    My new tumblr on all things meta:

http://meta-net.tumblr.com/

Yes, Tarquin is there as the ultimate meta-villain.
    Open to suggestions or submissions

The main theme of the comic is, "I'm glad I have a job where I can work in my pajamas."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

For me, it is between 704 and 737. 704, because it shows the development of the goblinoid nation. 737, because of what it foreshadows in book six.

Ultimately I am going to go with 737.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in for 750 - Making Up for Lost Time. Just an overall awesome strip.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

737 - Comparative Mythology
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh MAN! I've always wanted to vote for #723! (again)
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2015-04-15 at 04:43 PM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

750, for the innovative layout that describes a day without words.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think I'll ultimately go for 750.

Sorry, Tarquin, but not everything's about you.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

21. - Top - End - #21

737 - Comparative Mythology. Good balance of humor and foreshadowing. I like it.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm. This is an interesting selection of strips. The first four are all, well, interesting; they are all quite wordy, give important background and/or foreshadowing, and have some funny moments too. But none of them are really outstanding for me. 750 does stand out, if only because it is a wordless strip amongst a pretty verbose selection. It may be less important in terms of the overall story, but it tells us so much about our main characters in such a economical and beautiful way.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Hmmm. Hard decisions. But I'll have to say that I prefer 750 over the rest (723 particularly is a great contender). So let's make up for lost time.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

dead men give no speeches
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Almost feel like throwing a pity vote to 718, simply for the "Lizgreaper" line. But, sadly for it, 723 is just too perfect. I said it before and I'll say it again. "Hereditiy is a cruel mistress" is such a wonderful line, that it has to be recognized.

And with that.....

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

723 - Generally Relative is the winner of this semi-final! It now moves on to the finals for the Best of the Hundred tournament (701-800).

750 - Making Up for Lost Time is currently holding down Wild Card spot #1 with 7 votes and 737 - Comparative Mythology is holding down Wild Card spot #2 with 3 votes.

Full Results are as follows:

.............THE STICK AWARDS II:
    ..BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT
    ......... (701-800 | Semi-Final #1)

Comic Number Votes Received Vote Percentage

Please join us as we continue this Best of the Hundred tournament, in this thread here.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-04-19 at 03:05 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb