New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: "Wait again, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Something I noticed when writing this scenario: all bows have the same range, unless I am mistaken. While this doesn't matter much for small and medium (the most common PC types to consider) having a gargantuan longbow and a diminutive longbow have the same range is pretty amusing.
    This is actually a change from 3.0, so evidently it was intentional. Arms and Equipment Guide actually has tables for range of weapons based on their size. Back in the day, a gargantuan longbow would have a lot bigger range.

While that table's not explicitly ignored in 3.5, it's implicitly gone, because ballistas are huge crossbows and yet have the same range as crossbows.

JaronK

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait again, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Well feats exist to increase the 30' range
    Crossbow Sniper (PH2 p77) — sets the range to 60'
    Ranged Skirmisher (DR346 p87) — sets the range to 60' — Skirmish ony
    and then there's the OBI capstone.

And you can argue that Far Shot increases the range by 50%
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    BTW, I forgot to reply to your earlier comment about touch-range buffs on incorporeal undead; pretty sure having your hand charged with a spell makes you, effectively, a magic weapon for purposes of attacking incorporeal creatures, so you have a 50% chance of getting it the first try, and it's quite possible the minion could be instructed to let you auto-hit on miss chance as well as AC.
    Oh, I didn't know touch spells counted as magic weapons for that. It still means that death master has to use up a buff spells just to use one of his weird class abilities on his minion.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Chain devils are immune to cold.
    Ice devils aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-02-08 at 10:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Chain devils are immune to cold.
    Ice devils aren't.
    Nice one.

Ice Devils are immune to Fire though — so maybe that's a bit of Gygaxian design from WotC here ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Nice one.

Ice Devils are immune to Fire though — so maybe that's a bit of Gygaxian design from WotC here ?
    Could be. Wouldn't surprise me all that much, in fact.

Also, somehow forgot to mention this was actually noted by my friend artofregicide.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

while that's technically true, all devils are immune to fire, not just ice devils. as far as rationale goes, you're probably right.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    while that's technically true, all devils are immune to fire, not just ice devils. as far as rationale goes, you're probably right.
    Actually the SRD says most Devils — and Chain Devils aren't.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

whoops! my bad
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a baatezu trait, right?
    A few odds and ends.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

It is indeed, along with see in darkness.

Edit: Hey, found another one. A character does not need to use a shield to gain the benefit of the Knight's Shield Block ability.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2013-02-04 at 03:36 AM.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

13. - Top - End - #373

It is indeed, along with see in darkness.

Edit: Hey, found another one. A character does not need to use a shield to gain the benefit of the Knight's Shield Block ability.
    You need to 'have' a shield bonus though as the language says it increases. (As opposed to: You gain a +1 shield bonus, this stacks with any other shield bonus.)

So...you could have a spell providing a shield bonus...

Edit:
    I'm refering to the big blocks of text with a header of WEAPONS that follows the table. Not to the table. So please drop the insults.
    What, did you expect them to title the whole section "Things you attack with"?

Do me a favor and turn 200 pages, read the glossary definitions of unarmed attacks and unarmed strikes and then feel sheepish.
    Last edited by Pickford; 2013-02-04 at 09:08 AM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

My goodness, pickford, are you still trying to win the discussion on unarmed strikes? Please open a new thread, we will all be happy to endlessly debate that particular dysfunction. This thread is for no single dysfunction.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

15. - Top - End - #375

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    My goodness, pickford, are you still trying to win the discussion on unarmed strikes? Please open a new thread, we will all be happy to endlessly debate that particular dysfunction. This thread is for no single dysfunction.
    If someone didn't response with misinformation I wouldn't have to set the record straight. So yeah, it's easily dropped.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    You need to 'have' a shield bonus though as the language says it increases. (As opposed to: You gain a +1 shield bonus, this stacks with any other shield bonus.)

So...you could have a spell providing a shield bonus...
    I suspected something like this might be the rule, but I'm not sure. Are you certain you cannot simply say it "increases" from 0? Or is a character without a shield assumed to have a shield bonus of "-"?

Credit where credit is due, this thread brought up the fact that even Big T is limited to a 5 foot step as a free action, which for him is moving 1/6th his space, equivalent to a medium creature moving 10 inches.
    Awards

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

If someone didn't response with misinformation I wouldn't have to set the record straight. So yeah, it's easily dropped.
    I feel this comic is relevant, as so often.

But yeah, open a new thread and respond to all the misinformation in one spot there, OK?

18. - Top - End - #378
    Firbolg in the Playground

But yeah, open a new thread and respond to all the misinformation in one spot there, OK?
    I was going to post that! But then I was too lazy.

Pickford, the "misinformation" you're talking about is actually just verbatim rules from the PHB/SRD. You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.
    Jude P.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Pickford, the "misinformation" you're talking about is actually just verbatim rules from the PHB/SRD. You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.
    No!

Pickford needs to open a new thread to discuss this. No more in this one! Don't open this can of worms again.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

Well said. Perhaps we can discuss shield block a little. I am unsure as to whether one actually needs the shield to gain the bonus.

Another one that's more some error than a dysfunction. In Drow of the Underdark, there are several class features for Drow taking base classes. They forgot to mention that you have to be Drow to use the ACFs, though they certainly talk about it in flavor text.
    Awards

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

This one came up in the Simple Q&A thread, and I don't think it was mentioned earlier:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    While excluding exotic shields from shields obviously is the intention of the rules, there is no actual rule saying that exotic shields are not a subset of shields, unless the description of the individual item actually says so.

Look at the tower shield. It obviously is a shield and characters only do not become proficient with it, because for some classes it is explicitly excluded from the rest of shields. Exotic shields are not generally excluded.
    This is, obviously, a Type I (minor common sense required) error, but it's still interesting.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's a really confusing one. Shade Hunter from Champions of Ruin is literally impossible to enter. Why? It requires, among many other things, "shades as a favored enemy." Shade is neither a type of creature nor a specific creature name.
    Awards

23. - Top - End - #383

Funny, I was going to include that.

Ok, if you want another disfunction, according to Curmudgeon you can't make any attacks during a full attack action because:

"Making an attack is a standard action." and you can't take standard actions while using a full-round action.

edit: and just for mattie p's sanity: Unarmed Strikes are made without weapons.
    Last edited by Pickford; 2013-02-05 at 01:21 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Funny, I was going to include that.

Ok, if you want another disfunction, according to Curmudgeon you can't make any attacks during a full attack action because:

"Making an attack is a standard action." and you can't take standard actions while using a full-round action.
    I suggest you go look up the text of the "Full Attack" action on the SRD.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Natural weapons (and unarmed strikes) are not melee weapons either.

melee weapon
    A handheld weapon designed for close combat.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice one.

No. At least the 2nd ed Gelugon (thats an Ice Devil for you younglings) was explicitly not immune to fire, but had cold immunity instead. So it is a WotC error.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    You do realize the PHB defines "Unarmed Strike" as a weapon, right? It's right there on page 116, table 7-5, "Weapons." It's next to "Gauntlet." I don't see why you're trying to do this whole argument that unarmed strikes aren't weapons when they're clearly listed in the weapons section.

So yes, Monks are not proficient. Untrained humanoids are... if you could somehow have a human with just a humanoid HD, you'd be proficient (since they get all simple weapons). But humanoid weapon proficiencies say that they get simple weapons unless they have class levels, in which case they get class proficiency. Monks are a class, and their proficiencies don't include Unarmed Strike. Thus, they are not proficient in unarmed strike. It's quite straight forward.

JaronK
    No, it does not.

Read the glossary, which defines Unarmed Strike as an attack without a weapon.

That table is what determines your proficiencies (simple, martial, exotic). There is no other source for that. So actually, in terms if this particular discussion, that table is the only source. Your glossary source says nothing about proficiency.

JaronK
    Proficiency with unarmed strikes does not exist. Instead, when attacking unarmed, you give up certain benefits of weapons, unless you are trained to counteract those.

Monks may not be proficient with unarmed strikes, but since there is no penalty defined for not being proficient with them, it does not mean a damn thing. Penalties for non-proficiency is defined in terms of weapons, which unarmed strikes are not.

So, unarmed strike works like a weapon, except for two things (related to attacks of opportunity). For other things (like proficiencies), it therefor works like a weapon. That would explain why unarmed strikes are listed as simple weapons in the weapons table... for purposes of everything in that table (including proficiencies) they're weapons.

JaronK
    The section you quoted does not state the other ways in which unarmed strikes are different from weapons, so clearly it is incomplete (for instance, unarmed strikes do not deal lethal damage unless you have a feat or are a monk).

The entry under "Weapons" call out in what manner unarmed strike acts as a weapon. If it were a weapon, IT WOULD NOT NEED TO DO THIS. The exception proves the rule; since it calls out an exception, there must be a rule to which that exception applies.

It's listed under "Simple Weapons." From the SRD:

Then, right under that:

See? They straight up tell you proficiencies apply, then show you unarmed strike and tell you the proficiency that applies. It's incredibly straight forward.

JaronK
    You are correct in that Unarmed Strike is listed as a weapon with which you get proficiency.

Where you go wrong is that there is no clause for non-proficiency with an unarmed strike. It is defined as not being a weapon, and there is no table to refer to for non-proficiency. In other words, Simple Weapon Proficiency may make you proficient with Unarmed Strikes, it just doesn't mean anything, as there are no penalties associated with being non-proficient with an unarmed strike.

Really, it is straight forward, but it means precisely the opposite of what you think it does.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szar_Lakol View Post
    Read the glossary, which defines Unarmed Strike as an attack without a weapon.
    New thread is up for the unarmed strike discussion. Thanks in advance for moving the discussion there.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Colossus in the Playground

Here's a really confusing one. Shade Hunter from Champions of Ruin is literally impossible to enter. Why? It requires, among many other things, "shades as a favored enemy." Shade is neither a type of creature nor a specific creature name.
    Clearly, the Ranger looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a really confusing one. Shade Hunter from Champions of Ruin is literally impossible to enter. Why? It requires, among many other things, "shades as a favoured enemy." Shade is neither a type of creature nor a specific creature name.
    Obviously this is a Lampshade.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook