New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Got a Real World Weapons or Armour Question? Mk X

Quote Originally Posted by Straybow View Post
    I would allow folks to use the longbow below Str14 with a feat that represents years of training. PCs wouldn't bother if they don't have Str14, but that's the explanation for more average Str12 soldiers (who don't choose their mandated training).
    I know — we can call this feat "Martial Weapon Proficiency"!

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ettin in the Playground

I would allow folks to use the longbow below Str14 with a feat that represents years of training. PCs wouldn't bother if they don't have Str14, but that's the explanation for more average Str12 soldiers (who don't choose their mandated training).
    Historically, a lot of things that would go as "longbow" would have very 'mundane' draw weights, so there's no reason to do require 14 Str for 35 pound bow that can be used by any reasonably fit person with training.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    Historically, a lot of things that would go as "longbow" would have very 'mundane' draw weights, so there's no reason to do require 14 Str for 35 pound bow that can be used by any reasonably fit person with training.
    Yes, but those "longbows" would have performance like the shortbow. Some high draw weight longbows were designed for long range flight arrows that do much less damage, less than a shortbow.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, pat. pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, but those "longbows" would have performance like the shortbow. Some high draw weight longbows were designed for long range flight arrows that do much less damage, less than a shortbow.

They would have performance like ~ 50, maybe a bit more pounds shortbows, assuming that "shortbow" here is constructionally like longbow, but too short to store energy effectively.

If one takes such shortbow of 100 pounds, it would still have better performance.

I'm not really aware of longbows and other selfbows being optimized specifically for flight shooting, but I guess they could happen.

Still one could easily fire heavy arrow from them, doing 'more damage than shortbow'.

The bottom line is that in thread about "real world weapons" talking about rather silly weapon categories from 3.5 doesn't really have much sense.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

What's actually the deal with these fancy modern plastic and pulleys bows?

After all, isn't the amount of energy transfered to the arrow always the same as the amount of muscle energy used to pull the string?
    Or does that construction make it easier somehow to hold the arrow in place to aim, while putting a lesser strain on the muscles that keep the bow from springig back. (Kind of like pulleys in general, spreading the same amount of energy over a longer amount of time, reducing the effort at any given moment.)

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    What's actually the deal with these fancy modern plastic and pulleys bows?

After all, isn't the amount of energy transfered to the arrow always the same as the amount of muscle energy used to pull the string?
    no

To actually elaborate, amount of energy used to pull the string is very loosely connected to energy transfered to arrow, there are quite a few different energy transfers here.

You can quite easily build bow that will require a lot of energy to pull, without propelling arrow very much.

The trick is to don't do it.

Modern compound bow basically offer huge mechanical advantage with pulleys - by drawing the 60 pound bow at, say, 30 inches one is able to turn the pulleys quite a lot, storing huge amount of energy in the short bending arms of the bow.

Traditional bows obviously cannot have that excellent efficiency in storing energy, all reflexes, siyahs, recurved tips, etc. can only go so far in providing good leverage/mechanical advantage.

The problem is still somehow amount of energy wasted for pulley movement itself, as they are still pretty heavy, even with modern materials and engineering.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2012-06-15 at 05:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Modern compound bow basically offer huge mechanical advantage with pulleys - by drawing the 60 pound bow at, say, 30 inches one is able to turn the pulleys quite a lot, storing huge amount of energy in the short bending arms of the bow.
    A science article I read years ago pointed out that when you draw and loose a self bow, much of the stored energy goes into moving not the arrow, but the bow. Think about it. The ends of the bow arms move about half as far as the arrow, and the grip hardly at all. But the bow arms weigh much more than the arrow. It doesn't matter that the arms are moving themselves, physics demands that the energy to propel them from a dead stop to rapid forward motion must come from [i]some[i/where, and it's from the stored energy that you expended drawing the bow.

On a modern compound bow, with it's pulleys and whatnot, the arms of the bow move very little, and less of the stored energy has to be expended in moving the bow arms, and so more is available to propel the arrow.

DrewID

8. - Top - End - #728
    Orc in the Playground

They aren't just pulleys, they are cams. That means they are egg-shaped, having more leverage on one side of the cam than on the other. That way when the bow is in the fully drawn position the smaller force required to hold the string is multiplied by the greater leverage. On release the cam rotates and within a few inches the force is back up to the full value. Making the string go between the cams also allows a 2:1 mechanical advantage, so the limbs only travel half as far and use up less energy despite the extra mass of the cams.
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, pat. pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

9. - Top - End - #729
    Orc in the Playground

The bottom line is that in thread about "real world weapons" talking about rather silly weapon categories from 3.5 doesn't really have much sense.
    Well illustrating how huge the draw force would have to be to require strengths of 16 or 18 or more is part of examine real world weapon design.

For a game one can simply close the eyes and think of England.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrewID View Post

On a modern compound bow, with it's pulleys and whatnot, the arms of the bow move very little, and less of the stored energy has to be expended in moving the bow arms, and so more is available to propel the arrow.

DrewID
    Yes, but much of it has to be expended to propel the wheels themselves, which with all modern materials are still pretty heavy, have not very aerodynamic shape and are obviously located in the worst place possible - very end of the arms which move rapidly.

That's the main limitation of compound bow, and why as far as sheer dynamics go, they beat traditional bows 'just' soundly, not by several times.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2012-06-16 at 05:28 AM.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

There always is also the factor of style, which is an area in which they just can't compete.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

That way when the bow is in the fully drawn position the smaller force required to hold the string is multiplied by the greater leverage.
    THAT is actually the important point. Everything else is just small details that wouldn't warrant all those complicated mechanics. With a longbow, the required force rises pretty much linearly with draw distance, making it pretty hard to hold the bow steady to aim. With modern compound bows, the force drops massively over the last few inches, which means that the draw weight is only limited by what you can pull once, not by what you can hold comfortably. You can easily use compound bows with about twice the (nominal) draw weight you would have on a longbow.
    In theory, you can't cheat conservation of energy - every Joule in the arrow has to be put in it by the archer. In practice, the total energy isn't the limiting factor (it's a few hundred Joules, at most), it is the maximum force required to pull and hold. And with clever use of mechanics, you can distribute that force along the draw distance pretty much any way you like (and compound bows do that better than longbows).
    Spoiler
    Show

Want a generic roleplaying system but find GURPS too complicated? Try GMS.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well illustrating how huge the draw force would have to be to require strengths of 16 or 18 or more is part of examine real world weapon design.

As i understand it, STR is an imperfect measure of numerous physical abilities - the ability to knock someone out with a punch, break a door off it's hinges, lift heavy awkward stuff overhead, carry heavier stuff, endure arduous physical exertions for hours/days on end, etc.

So a STR 10 guy operating a bow technically requiring STR14+ is just one facet of his STR, which is generally low enough to justify his 10 (would Bruce Lee qualify as having a massive STR score, and huge powerlifters who tire after 30 seconds walking upstairs - do they get penalised similarly?). I can accept bows as they are, butthen again i'm certainly no expert!

14. - Top - End - #734
    Barbarian in the Playground

As i understand it, STR is an imperfect measure of numerous physical abilities - the ability to knock someone out with a punch, break a door off it's hinges, lift heavy awkward stuff overhead, carry heavier stuff, endure arduous physical exertions for hours/days on end, etc.

So a STR 10 guy operating a bow technically requiring STR14+ is just one facet of his STR, which is generally low enough to justify his 10 (would Bruce Lee qualify as having a massive STR score, and huge powerlifters who tire after 30 seconds walking upstairs - do they get penalised similarly?). I can accept bows as they are, but then again i'm certainly no expert!

15. - Top - End - #735
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    There always is also the factor of style, which is an area in which they just can't compete.
    I'm with Yora: the pulley bows are really ugly, I like simpler bows!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, I've got a question: what would be the potential naval applications of a stealthy Ekranoplan? I know the Lun carried missiles, and I suspect that an Ekranoplan-***-DDG could be a pretty excellent surface-to-surface missile platform, given their potential speed and maneuverability. Similarly, I suspect they could perform well in the littoral, as a sort of high speed Corvette. Would they be suitable for any other roles, however?

Edit: And apparently certain terms in Latin have the unfortunate ability to upset the forum's censor. No offense intended, simply trying to say "an Ekranoplan which has been designed and built to fulfill the role of a Guided Missile Destroyer."
    Last edited by Kalaska'Agathas; 2012-06-19 at 08:56 PM.
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

We're already using ground effect vehicles in the littoral. I don't remember the exact number, but they allow landing forces on several times as much coast land as you can with WW2 era landing craft. That alone probably makes them worthwhile.

That said, I think most modern GEVs are on the hovercraft model rather than fixed wings. The fixed wing / ekranoplan appears to be too much of a compromise - the disadvantages of an airplane without the advantages.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

18. - Top - End - #738

Quote Originally Posted by Raum View Post
    We're already using ground effect vehicles in the littoral. I don't remember the exact number, but they allow landing forces on several times as much coast land as you can with WW2 era landing craft. That alone probably makes them worthwhile.

That said, I think most modern GEVs are on the hovercraft model rather than fixed wings. The fixed wing / ekranoplan appears to be too much of a compromise - the disadvantages of an airplane without the advantages.
    A hovercraft isn't really a GEV - it's an Air Cushion Vehicle, so it's taking advantage of a different (albeit similar) effect. Do you have any sources on the ekranoplan being too much of a compromise?
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaska'Agathas View Post
    Do you have any sources on the ekranoplan being too much of a compromise?
    Well, longitudinal stability is a major issue. WIG craft will generally be slower than aircraft due to increased air density at sea level - this really affects small craft, larger craft are more cost effective. The wikipedia page you linked also mentions the dangers of banking at low altitudes...along with the possibility of large waves and the inability to react to steep terrain changes on land. Add to that the tactical limitations of low altitude and low relative speed if you're considering it for military use.

A boat or hovercraft will carry more weight and an aircraft will have a higher rate of speed and more space for avoidance and recovery. The WIG ends up with a compromise not as good as either.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

20. - Top - End - #740

Quote Originally Posted by Raum View Post
    A boat or hovercraft will carry more weight and an aircraft will have a higher rate of speed and more space for avoidance and recovery. The WIG ends up with a compromise not as good as either.
    On the other hand it'll carry more weight than an aircraft and it'll be a whole lot faster than a boat.
    From a tactical perspective the Ekranoplan isn't without its advantages.
    Since they skim along the surface they're significantly harder to spot than aircraft, and while aircraft can fly at those heights as well, an Ekranoplan is optimised for it and takes full advantage of the extra carrying capacity the Ground Effect grants to carry more payload and fuel.
    It's hardly surprising that the few operational Ekranoplans have all been either transports or Fast Attack Craft.
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

Is the "low" stance from the Way of the Samurai series based on anything from reality?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #742
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Is the "low" stance from the Way of the Samurai series based on anything from reality?
    Spoiler
    Show

Dunno about the series, never watched it. I can say that a knees flexed stance IS used in some japanese sword stances, especially when the sword is held with the point close to the ground. Since much of your leverage comes from the movement of your hips, you are increasing that force by doing so.

Regards.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” - George Carlin

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kugelblitz View Post
    Dunno about the series, never watched it. I can say that a knees flexed stance IS used in some japanese sword stances, especially when the sword is held with the point close to the ground. Since much of your leverage comes from the movement of your hips, you are increasing that force by doing so.
    I believe that Suio-ryu uses a fairly low stance for certain techniques. In popular culture, it's the style used by Ogami Itto from Lone Wolf and Cub.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

Stances looking about like that seem to appear in sources, like Fiore for example:

Spoiler
    Show

Here
    you have some interpretation of it.

And as such are used in all kinds of European martial arts recreations.

Here fellow with longswords tries to engage the rapier guy quite a lot with right leg forward sword held down. Roughly similar to your picture, although guy on it has really radically bent knees, as if he was skiing or expecting double leg takedown whole time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r7VWIQCHvM

25. - Top - End - #745
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

This isn't a weapon/armor question per se, but does anybody know of some good sources on what went into preparing a medieval nation for war.

Specifically, what would Edward I have had to do to prepare for his invasions of Scotland. Did the army do any training once it was assembled or was it assumed that all of archers and men-at-arms were ready to fight when they were called up? Who (job titles) was in charge of what?

Same goes for Henry V's invasion of France.

26. - Top - End - #746

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

That seems similar to the "fool's guard", I think?

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fortinbras View Post
    Specifically, what would Edward I have had to do to prepare for his invasions of Scotland. Did the army do any training once it was assembled or was it assumed that all of archers and men-at-arms were ready to fight when they were called up? Who (job titles) was in charge of what?

Same goes for Henry V's invasion of France.
    Archers would certainly do some shooting just to stay in rhytm, knights would quite probably do some lance competitions or hunting to stay in shape as well, but obviously no real 'organized' trainings.

Organizing a march of medieval army generally depended on people who 'naturally' emerged to be in charge of certain units, due to feudal hierarchy, or nomination of king/lord etc.

At Agincourt, Henry's forces would be probably divided to 3 main battles - under Henry himself, Duke of York and Thomas de Camoys.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If a space suit was strong enough to withstand direct hits from space debris, would it be effectively bulletproof? Wikipedia says that the micrometeoroids can move at relative speeds of kilometres per second, which is faster than a bullet, no?
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. Most bullets would be peanuts against small space debris. .50 BMG is a different matter, but most bullets would be stopped very effectively.
    That is, if you were able to make space suits that durable.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J.Gellert View Post
    That seems similar to the "fool's guard", I think?
    Even though it's called the Fool, it's not really stupid but works quite well in certain situations. But even centuries ago, when this style was state of the art, master swordmen were very well aware how stupid it looks.