New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default so we have the technology to make it?

I am imagining a Gatling gun with wands instead of barrels and the top most wand casting fireball and the bottom most wand gets recharged, spinning fast, shooting 1000 fireballs per minute, or 100 fireballs per round.

can it be done? Or even done slower?
    Quote Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: so we have the technology to make it?

wands typically have command words or somatic components that must still be done to use them, so most likely not.

you could maybe do it with crossbow bolts though, if the crank also pulls back the strings, would likely require strength checks to use continuously or at all. The lower the strength check needed, the more mechanically efficient it is, but each rotation would do less, and it would likely be heavier from more parts being needed.
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Would probably work better with something like a Necklace of Fireballs. As those are designed to detonate if the necklace breaks. So just find a way to launch it. Ammunition is destroyed on impact by the rules. So the necklace would shatter, and you'd end up with multiple fireballs going off on the target.

Downside would be that it's more expensive to pull off most likely.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am imagining a Gatling gun with wands instead of barrels and the top most wand casting fireball and the bottom most wand gets recharged, spinning fast, shooting 1000 fireballs per minute, or 100 fireballs per round.

can it be done? Or even done slower?
    Step 1: Make a Colossal Metal "wand barrel".
    Step 2: Cast Animate Objects on it+ Permanency.
    Step 3: Use Awaken Construct on it (maximized).
    Step 4: Create an Ice Assassin of it.
    Step 5: Give it max UMD ranks and wand use associated feats.
    Step 6: Have it use a Scroll of Shapechange to become a "wand barrel" just small enough to slide a regular wand into.
    Step 7: Create an Ice Assassin of it for every barrel that you want (100 in your case).
    Step 8: Mount these ice assassins in a frame with a crank.
    Step 9: Create a Permanent Telepathic Bond with each Ice Assassin.
    Step 10: Load each "barrel" with the wand that you desire (Fireball it appears).
    Step 11: Order them to ready an action to use their wand when they are spun past a specific point on the ring/frame.
    Step 12: Spin the crank.

Each one will UMD the wand it has with its ready action each round. Be warned that this is quite expensive as you will burn through wands very fast (five minutes of full firing).

---
    There you go, one totally RAW legal fireball Gatling gun.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Totally crazy suggestion and very impractical before level 30+ but here goes, what about a gatling ballista that shot staffs of power?

edit:it would be really fun with the old wands of wonder in a gatling crossbow. Imagine every shot released 50 random effects.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-06-04 at 03:04 AM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

6. - Top - End - #6

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Step 6: Have it use a Scroll of Shapechange to become a "wand barrel" just small enough to slide a regular wand into.
    Step 7: Create an Ice Assassin of it for every barrel that you want (100 in your case).
    Step 10: Load each "barrel" with the wand that you desire (Fireball it appears).
    Step 11: Order them to ready an action to use their wand when they are spun past a specific point on the ring/frame.

Each one will UMD the wand it has with its ready action each round. Be warned that this is quite expensive as you will burn through wands very fast (five minutes of full firing).

---
    Ice Assasin... is there anything it CAN'T do?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by CRtwenty View Post
    Ice Assasin... is there anything it CAN'T do?
    No.

You can also do this with Simulacrum if you want to stay fully core.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

8. - Top - End - #8

HalfOrcPirate

No.

You can also do this with Simulacrum if you want to stay fully core.
    Not even close to those two in terms of power, but "Clone" is probably my favorite spell of that type. If only because of how frequently it got tossed around in the AD&D and FR canon.

Anyway now that we've got the actual firing mechanic down. What about a way to make it mobile and target things on its own? I'm imagining flying fireball gatling drones enchanted with enough intelligence to be used militarily. See a Great Wyrm Green Dragon coming after your base? Just launch a half dozen of the buggers and watch the fireworks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

---
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

10. - Top - End - #10

Not even close to those two in terms of power, but "Clone" is probably my favorite spell of that type. If only because of how frequently it got tossed around in the AD&D and FR canon.

Anyway now that we've got the actual firing mechanic down. What about a way to make it mobile and target things on its own? I'm imagining flying fireball gatling drones enchanted with enough intelligence to be used militarily. See a Great Wyrm Green Dragon coming after your base? Just launch a half dozen of the buggers and watch the fireworks.
    Make another "frame holder" Ice Assassin/Simulacrum that has Wheels. It's 32 HD give it an IL of 16, have it take Martial Study 3 times for Shadow Hand Maneuvers (maybe the Shadow Jaunt line?) and then have it take Martial Stance for Balance on the Sky. Have it have multiple arms and a crate like area to store reloads in and have it be the thing that the "wand barrels" Telepathic Bonds are with (and have one of your own with the "frame holder".

With it's 18 Int and max skill ranks of +35 it should be more than capable of it's own strategy.

Link multiple such platforms with Telepathic Bonds to one another so that they can coordinate and work together.

You might also want to alternate energy types (use Energy Sub wands) and probably throw some metamagic onto the wands as well.

How would you like to fight a hundred "mailmen" per round? You can do that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

11. - Top - End - #11

HalfOrcPirate

Make another "frame holder" Ice Assassin/Simulacrum that has Wheels. It's 32 HD give it an IL of 16, have it take Martial Study 3 times for Shadow Hand Maneuvers (maybe the Shadow Jaunt line?) and then have it take Martial Stance for Balance on the Sky. Have it have multiple arms and a crate like area to store reloads in and have it be the thing that the "wand barrels" Telepathic Bonds are with (and have one of your own with the "frame holder".

With it's 18 Int and max skill ranks of +35 it should be more than capable of it's own strategy.

Link multiple such platforms with Telepathic Bonds to one another so that they can coordinate and work together.

You might also want to alternate energy types (use Energy Sub wands) and probably throw some metamagic onto the wands as well.

I don't even want to know how much a hundred of those things would cost. I don't think even the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Minerals has that much gold and gems, infinite or not.

12. - Top - End - #12

RangerGuy

they sound like the most amazing guards ever, until their 18 Int brings them to the conclusion that they should not serve man, but rule them with an iron (and flaming) fist.
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by SciChronic View Post
    they sound like the most amazing guards ever, until their 18 Int brings them to the conclusion that they should not serve man, but rule them with an iron (and flaming) fist.
    That is why you use Ice Assassin or Simulacrum and not the templates (well one of the reasons, that it's instantaneous is another), they are incapable of ever disobeying you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

14. - Top - End - #14

HalfOrcPirate

Or make something even stronger to beat them.
    Best.Arms.Race.Ever.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

When Tippy optimizes, DMs all across our crystal sphere cry...
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

16. - Top - End - #16

I don't even want to know how much a hundred of those things would cost. I don't think even the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Minerals has that much gold and gems, infinite or not.
    One 9th level spell slot or 3,825 GP for a Scroll of Shapechange, and you can produce 14,400 per day from the factory in your portable hole.

Doable on an ECL 8 character (without need for the scroll).
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

That's why you use Ice Assassin, they are completely and totally loyal to you
    Alternatively, Diplomancy up to Fanatic
    Due to mental stuff in my head I find it hard to understand normal human behaviour.
    If I do something wrong PM me what is wrong. And do not be subtle, I need a kick in the pants sometimes to realize Im a jerk.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

While not as entertaining and over the top as Tippy's suggestion... Why not use the mechanical trap rules? This sounds almost exactly like the sort of thing it was meant to create. I'm at work, so I can't break it down like I'd want. If anyone wants to see if its feasible, be my guest.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mabriss lethe View Post
    While not as entertaining and over the top as Tippy's suggestion... Why not use the mechanical trap rules? This sounds almost exactly like the sort of thing it was meant to create. I'm at work, so I can't break it down like I'd want. If anyone wants to see if its feasible, be my guest.
    what book is that in?
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

A Gatling gun that doesn't need to spin is not a Gatling gun, it's an Organ gun. To make it spin, you'll want your barrels to have an attack with a cooldown or refresh (like a dragon's breath weapon, swordsage's Desert Wind maneuvers, auto-recharge traps, or binder stuff) and then switch our recharging ones for ready ones.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2013-06-04 at 12:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    A Gatling gun that doesn't need to spin is not a Gatling gun, it's an Organ gun. To make it spin, you'll want your barrels to have an attack with a cooldown or refresh (like a dragon's breath weapon, swordsage's Desert Wind maneuvers, auto-recharge traps, or binder stuff) and then switch our recharging ones for ready ones.
    Hmm, I need to replace the wands of fireball with miniature dragons.

Let's see, Great Wyrm Red is Colossal. Dungeonbred template to make it Gargantuan. Ring of Shrinking for Huge. Augmented Compression to reach medium. Ring of Reduction to get it to small.

Now make an Ice Assassin of that small Great Wyrm Red.

Use an Augmented Compression to drop two more categories down to Fine and make an Ice Assassin of that.

Now you have your template, copy that Fine Great Wyrm Red a hundred or so times (chaos shuffle for optimum breath weapon maximization). Load them into the barrels instead of the wands (and these barrels don't have to be Ice Assassin Animated Objects).

There you go, a dragon ammo Gatling gun. All RAW legal as well. ;)
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

what book is that in?
    available as part of the rules in the SRD.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I need to replace the wands of fireball with miniature dragons.

Let's see, Great Wyrm Red is Colossal. Dungeonbred template to make it Gargantuan. Ring of Shrinking for Huge. Augmented Compression to reach medium. Ring of Reduction to get it to small.

Now make an Ice Assassin of that small Great Wyrm Red.

Use an Augmented Compression to drop two more categories down to Fine and make an Ice Assassin of that.

Now you have your template, copy that Fine Great Wyrm Red a hundred or so times (chaos shuffle for optimum breath weapon maximization). Load them into the barrels instead of the wands (and these barrels don't have to be Ice Assassin Animated Objects).

There you go, a dragon ammo Gatling gun. All RAW legal as well. ;)
    That one is great too! haha.

Quote Originally Posted by mabriss lethe View Post
    thank you
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

So once you've got your intelligent flying fireball Gatling gun, there is one last question; how do you avoid them combusting? Because if a wand breaking means it releases all of it's charges, it could lead to a chain reaction with one stray fireball destroying a drone. Unless I've missed something important.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by maxriderules View Post
    So once you've got your intelligent flying fireball Gatling gun, there is one last question; how do you avoid them combusting? Because if a wand breaking means it releases all of it's charges, it could lead to a chain reaction with one stray fireball destroying a drone. Unless I've missed something important.
    How would the wands break?
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

-snip-
    It's not Tippy unless it involves Ice Assassin and/or Shapechange.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by maxriderules View Post
    I don't think wands release all their charges in 3rd edition. I believe that was only in older editions.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    It's not Tippy unless it involves Ice Assassin and/or Shapechange.
    I think that is cause those two spell's insane versatility
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Huh... I think mounting multiple spell turrets onto a single platform does this well without ice assassin cheese (although Tippy's method is so much more awesome).

Spell Turrets hold spells and fire them per round, DMG2. Dungeonscape also has complex trap rules.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I feel like a spellclock or a bunch of spellclocks could do this, without ever running out of ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    I thought we were arguing whether Magic Missile could crank out Riemann sums...