New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1523
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XVIII

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    1- No they don't. Since when would a kids TV show involve politics and terrorism? I'm sorry but that makes so sense at all.
    When the TV show consists of little less than propaganda. Like Captain America. But we don't call the Nazis Nazis, we came up with another name for them.
    2- It doesn't add anything to the setting.
    It adds something. Not much, but it's not nothing.
    3- *Read bottom post.
    Will do.
    4- People don't usually give joke names to a terrorist group though, at least in a "realistic" setting.
    But people do associate what they see on TV with real life, even if they're watching fiction.
    5- Actually, he wanted ALF to be the name, and FAIL to be the name used by the government. So really, now all it is that it's used by the public, so if anything it's going to be used more.
    A name occasionally used by the public in light conversation. And before the public is part of the UNA.
    6- I never said I didn't like it, I'm looking forward to FI
    But if you like structure, why are you trying to get us to be more random?
    7- But if it's "just a name" and "no big deal" and not everyone likes it, why use it?
    Because there are some who do like it.
    If it's "just a name" and "no big deal" and we like it, why shouldn't we use it?
    8- What?
    9- I'm talking about the characters themselves, technically, in a realistic setting, if only a small group of people use the term FAIL such as Gremlin, most people in the setting won't understand it.
    So am I. We can have a character mention FAIL in a comic to another character, who then acts confused, and the first character explains the idea behind it. Then it'll be canon.
    *I say the best way to sort this out is a simple vote. Those who want the name being used as a joke by some of the public because of a kids TV show, and those who don’t think it’s necessary to have it in.
    Well, that kind of goes against the "do what you want" spirit of ABR, but sure. One vote for not kicking out the idea of using FAIL.
    I don’t want to use it because it’s unrealistic to give a terrorist organisation that supposedly kills people a joke name from a KIDS TV SHOW that involves serious politics in it for some reason.
    Captain America beats up Nazi's on a regular basis. Tony Stark is seen taking his fateful injury in the middle east in his latest incarnation. And this is a propaganda riddled show about someone defending the UNA against its enemies, realistically they'd have a parallel to ALF, and if the show is widespread, realistically people would use the parallel in real life discussions.

I also think it's unnecessary and irrelevant.

And also because I find it annoying.
    So you're against it because you don't like it. While we've been working at including other people's ideas in some way, even if it wasn't how they originally saw them being used.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ettin in the Playground

So do we count Threeshades' latest comic as taking place before the Mass Fly?

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

everybody's talking about mass fly spells. I must have missed that part in the comic.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Firbolg in the Playground

The mass fly comic hasn't been made yet I believe.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ogre in the Playground

then why should it nt be before the mass fly?

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    The mass fly comic hasn't been made yet I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-03-06 at 02:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1477

Ah. So it's an "off-panel" thing. No wonder I didn't notice it.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't matter if they do or don't. Why on earth would they call them FAIL? It doesn't make any sense. You don't give a joke name to a terrorist organisation, it doesn't happen. Terrorism is something serious, giving them a joke name is beyond stupid, it's completely ridicules.

If FI is supposed to be structured and serious why would you even consider using the world "FAIL". It's hypocritical. It's like having a hardcore horror film and all of a sudden care bears come out and sing.
    ... Well not that extreme but you get what I mean.
    It doesn't fit.

So am I. We can have a character mention FAIL in a comic to another character, who then acts confused, and the first character explains the idea behind it. Then it'll be canon.
    You misunderstood me. Think about it like this.
    There are ten people. Everyone is religious. They all call their God X. But one person decides to call the God Y. When he talks to the other people about Lord X but calls him Lord Y, they're not going to know what he's talking about.

So you're against it because you don't like it. While we've been working at including other people's ideas in some way, even if it wasn't how they originally saw them being used.
    No Keris, your separating one of my arguments and arguing against it with out the other ones I spoke about making it look like that's the only thing I said in that post.
    I've given lists of why I don't think we should use it.
    Also, note the smiley at the end of that point.

Anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to use a different name that actually makes sense like "The Terrorists" or "Igon's army" or something along those lines?
    Something with out an acronym.
    It works much better and is less confusing because it doesn't sound like an official name, but still gives another name for people to use.
    I think that's a fair compromise.

Use FAIL- 1
    Don't use FAIL- 1
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-03-06 at 03:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    Ah that one. Yeah I see now. I stopped reading it after the second panel because i was lawling at the name Spangenhelm too hard.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Vampire Rot, it's apparent that we will get little to no respect here, so I say we just either wait for FI, or fight the Shades. Just a suggestion, seeing as we have only been put in two comics besides our own. Or so.
    @Nameless: Chalk up another vote for not-fail, if mine counts.
    Last edited by Falgorn; 2009-03-06 at 03:32 PM.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't matter if they do or don't. Why on earth would they call them FAIL? It doesn't make any sense. You don't give a joke name to a terrorist organisation, it doesn't happen. Terrorism is something serious, giving them a joke name is beyond stupid, it's completely ridicules.
    It's a from kids show. That's the in universe explanation behind the name. The hero regularly defeats the goons of the evil organisation "FAIL" who plan to overthrow the UNA and 'liberate' the population.
    Out of universe, we're using the name because we're trying to compromise here.

If FI is supposed to be structured and serious why would you even consider using the world "FAIL". It's hypocritical. It's like having a hardcore horror film and all of a sudden care bears come out and sing.
    ... Well not that extreme but you get what I mean.
    It doesn't fit.
    It's like having an additional level of detail in what is meant to be a complex plotline. ALF is so unreal to most of the population of Avbaroy, it's like something out of a kids show. Hey, it's just like the organisation in that show there!

You misunderstood me. Think about it like this.
    There are ten people. Everyone is religious. They all call their God X. But one person decides to call the God Y. When he talks to the other people about Lord X but calls him Lord Y, they're not going to know what he's talking about.
    But, if the religion refers to a particular sect as Sect A, but then someone calls it Sect B, because their just like that sect on TV, then it might catch on.

No Keris, your separating one of my arguments and arguing against it with out the other ones I spoke about making it look like that's the only thing I said in that post.
    I've given lists of why I don't think we should use it.
    Also, note the smiley at the end of that point.
    Well, I didn't exactly ignore the other points. My argument was that those reasons are invalid.

Anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to use a different name that actually makes sense like "The Terrorists" or "Igon's army" or something along those lines?
    Something with out an acronym.
    It works much better and is less confusing because it doesn't sound like an official name, but still gives another name for people to use.
    I think that's a fair compromise.
    It's a name from a kids show. It's not meant to be a serious name.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Titan in the Playground

But it would make more sense to give them another name which doesn't sound like an official name and isn't yet another acronym.
    And a terrorist group and joke one is still unrealistic, whether it's from a kids show or not. You would want to warn the kids about the group, make them look evil not make them look funny.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Orc in the Playground

Meh. stop arguing. Its getting annoying.

As for the Energy drain, as I see it, it doesn't need to be a slam attack or any other natural wepons, thats just for D&D. If a vampire can energy drain by hitting people with a part of its body, it makes sence that on any physical contact (such as a poke) could let said vampire energy drain. And she is not paralysed, just surprised. I mean, if it felt like your very life energy was being sucked out, what would you do?

But with the mass fly spell, Threeshade jumping on me is before that, then they both go back and get the spell, and start flying up, right?

And shouldn't someone make a new thread or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.
    Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vote Not-fail. It seems to me that people would actually call the TV version the original name instead of the other way around. Unless they don't want their kids to know what's going on with the terrorists in the real world, then they might say FAIL when the kids are around (highly unlikely). But aside from that people would recognize that FAIL is just a take-off of ALF, and call FAIL ALF. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Besides, every other media probably calls it ALF, why would ONE TV show make people call an organization a joke name when EVERYTHING ELSE (newspapers, government, etc.) calls it something else. The show might be popular, but it can't make everyone call a terrorist organization a joke name.

*cough*This sounds more like "people arguing and then not listening to the other persons argument, accusing the other person of not listening to their argument, and then throwing their previous argument back at them." than "discussion".*cough* What? I didn't say anything.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XVIII

I vote Not-fail. It seems to me that people would actually call the TV version the original name instead of the other way around. Unless they don't want their kids to know what's going on with the terrorists in the real world, then they might say FAIL when the kids are around (highly unlikely). But aside from that people would recognize that FAIL is just a take-off of ALF, and call FAIL ALF. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Besides, every other media probably calls it ALF, why would ONE TV show make people call an organization a joke name when EVERYTHING ELSE (newspapers, government, etc.) calls it something else. The show might be popular, but it can't make everyone call a terrorist organization a joke name.

*cough*This sounds more like "people arguing and then not listening to the other persons argument, accusing the other person of not listening to their argument, and then throwing their previous argument back at them." than "discussion".*cough* What? I didn't say anything.
    You can't use a real terrorist group on kids TV (overcarring parents would sue you for it) So they made one that's close enough for adults to know it but far enough to protect the kids (and they can make fun of it without disrespect of the memory of ALF's victims)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

16. - Top - End - #1486

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    You can't use a real terrorist group on kids TV (overcarring parents would sue you for it) So they made one that's close enough for adults to know it but far enough to protect the kids (and they can make fun of it without disrespect of the memory of ALF's victims)
    I know! But people in real life would still refer to the organization in the show as ALF. The show would still call it FAIL.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground

I cant remember why the ALF don't like the UNA to be honest.

Use FAIL- 1
    Don't use FAIL- 3

18. - Top - End - #1488

Because the UNA stole Lying's cookie!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XVIII

I cant remember why the ALF don't like the UNA to be honest.

Use FAIL- 1
    Don't use FAIL- 3
    We know INS evil plans.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    Ah that one. Yeah I see now. I stopped reading it after the second panel because i was lawling at the name Spangenhelm too hard.

I don't know why, it's the name of the helmet design that his head is based off.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I vote for FAIL. One that note, can we all agree to abide by this vote. Really, I don't care one way or another (Though considering my arguments, apparently I do), but when we say we arn't using it, Gremlin is insistant that we do (Actually, he suggested a reasonable compromise), Nameless is then insistant that we don't use it. Neither side is willing to back down, so lets let this vote settle the issue once and for all.

For the sake of completness, let's say that when there have been no votes for 24 hours, the voting is closed and the current tally stands, unless it's a tie in which case we extend it another 24 hours. Otherwise the voting is never officially over, and is therefore fairly pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I vote for FAIL. One that note, can we all agree to abide by this vote. Really, I don't care one way or another (Though considering my arguments, apparently I do), but when we say we arn't using it, Gremlin is insistant that we do (Actually, he suggested a reasonable compromise), Nameless is then insistant that we don't use it. Neither side is willing to back down, so lets let this vote settle the issue once and for all.

For the sake of completness, let's say that when there have been no votes for 24 hours, the voting is closed and the current tally stands, unless it's a tie in which case we extend it another 24 hours. Otherwise the voting is never officially over, and is therefore fairly pointless.
    And I Suggested that we give them another name, but not a silly joke name or acronym.

Use FAIL- 2
    Don't use FAIL- 3

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post

I have no idea what's going on.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    We know INS evil plans.
    Our great and glorious leader would never plot anything sinister! It's that Igon and his Terrorist Resistance!
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post

I don't know why, it's the name of the helmet design that his head is based off.
    And its correct. It sounds funny nevertheless.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I vote for FAIL.

@Falgorn: One of my characters will soon agree with you but right now they all are criminals (exept those who don't exist and work for the resistance spy department wich doesn't exist either) so they don't care what your opinion is.

@Rand: Gremlin wanned the UNA to call the resisytance (ALF) for FAIL bt some dislike that, he then compromised saying that it's what public people call them because of that's what a terrorist group that's supossed to be a pparody of them from a TV show is called.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Banned

Okay, first of all:
    It is not a kids' show!!!
    By all accounts, it is a very mature show.
    Second:
    Put in another vote for 'use FAIL'.
    Finally: People use it because it's politically correct, and also catchy. Also, because the show is very popular.
    Now, this vote doesn't really matter. Especially if it is a tie. We'll call them FAIL and ALF, and you guys can rant about it all you like, that will change nothing. So it's a bit pointless.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-03-06 at 06:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Okay, first of all:
    It is not a kids' show!!!
    By all accounts, it is a very mature show.
    Second:
    Put in another vote for 'use FAIL'.
    Finally: People use it because it's politically correct, and also catchy. Also, because the show is very popular.
    Now, this vote doesn't really matter. Especially if it is a tie. We'll call them FAIL and ALF, and you guys can rant about it all you like, that will change nothing. So it's a bit pointless.
    Gremlinss growing up, guys! Not everything is immiture now.
    ____

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    Gremlinss growing up, guys! Not everything is immiture now.
    .....huh? What are you talking about?

30. - Top - End - #1500

Argument about FAIL vs ALF: "tl, dr".