New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XX: Appletastic Treats

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    I totally understand and feel the same way... I'm almost always a little sad to reach the final book in a series, or even the last page of a book, no matter how well things turned out.

And of course, there are a few who'd say she has at least one adventure left... Morbid a thought though that is.
    Glad I'm not alone in that feeling. It is weird, on the one hand, you are sad to see the character go, and on the other, it is nice seeing them off.

What is even worse is the rage at a completely unsatisfactory ending. You know, the kind where you are all "WHAT!? I read through six books and eighteen hundred pages for THIS?! AAAAARRRGH!"

Luckily, I have only had that happen to me once that I recall. A series that started out promising, had a good second and third books, and then the fourth book dragged on and on. I skipped ahead 100 pages and saw that absolutely nothing had happened, so I just said "screw it" read the ending, raged for a few minutes, and then put those books behind me. One of the few times I haven't finished a (non-school related) book.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    If you ask anyone ever what the secret to anything ever is, they'll tell you 'practise'. And they're not jerking you around. That's the actual, legitimate secret to everything ever.
    That's a lie. I've been eating for over 20 years and my food still goes down the wrong pipe from time to time.

Also, I felt like being arbitrary and disagreeable.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

3. - Top - End - #243

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Works! Those will be for round two. Round three will probably be a Derpy Hooves just outside of what I call "Missingnoland". It just feels appropriate, haha. I'll probably get a fair bit of this done tomorrow. I'd have gotten started now, but tonight was DnD ^^

I just saved that picture. I feel like I just hit a level of meta that I wasn't aware of before. Only way to top that I think would be if my hard drive had just filled >_>
    Pleeeease take screenshots, I can't wait to see these when they're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    We have:

Midnight's Book Club: A cult dedicated to late night book readings and good dental plans.

The Worshipers of the Lion-Pony: The followers of Leo believe that Leo is awesome, because he gives them bacon and has the Gods of Coffee and Pork on call.

The Cult of Nightmare Moon: Not sure exactly what they represent, but they sure represent it. Involves Nightmare Moon and bringing her to the world.

The Cult of the Pink One: Come, join the eternal party. We have cupcakes and cakes and muffins and more cupcakes and oh! did I mention the cakes?! We totally have cakes! All sorts of sugary goodness and all you have to do is come to the party!

Fluttermancers (can't find a good color I haven't already used to fit this one): You will love Fluttershy, or else! The Fluttermancers simply cannot comprehend not loving Fluttershy, and so see it as a sign of an abomination that must be purged.
    ...No cult of Applejack? Come on, you have to at least list the Applejack Appreciation Association. We're a front for a cult!

I have been writing roughly non stop since 2003.

No one said this was going to be easy.

I can assure you that it's absolutely worthwhile.
    Yeah, it takes a ton of practice. I've been writing constantly since 2006 myself, and I'm still having issues getting an entire story to come out on paper.

I totally understand and feel the same way... I'm almost always a little sad to reach the final book in a series, or even the last page of a book, no matter how well things turned out.

And of course, there are a few who'd say she has at least one adventure left... Morbid a thought though that is.
    Agreed. It's why fics where the Mane 6 are getting old or feature their children make me sad.
    Avatar by DirtyTabs in the Adopt-A-Pony thread.

Thank you all so much for voting!
    Co-Winner of Rainbow Dash in the Playground!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

To an extent. It is more the aura of finality. When you finish a book/series and everything is tied up, and the author has gone on record stating that no more will be done with it, it gets sad saying goodbye to those characters.

I love a good ending, I just hate saying goodbye to the character(s). For some reason, that comic with Rainbow Dash just brought that feeling of finality to my stomach, and I just felt sad, since by that comic's continuity, Dash has already lived most of her life, and there won't be any more adventures for her. It was nice and happy, but still an ending. If any of that makes sense.
    Ha, yeah, I had to watch Spirited Away a few times (in a row) before I could convince myself that it had a happy ending.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Glad I'm not alone in that feeling. It is weird, on the one hand, you are sad to see the character go, and on the other, it is nice seeing them off.

What is even worse is the rage at a completely unsatisfactory ending. You know, the kind where you are all "WHAT!? I read through six books and eighteen hundred pages for THIS?! AAAAARRRGH!"

Luckily, I have only had that happen to me once that I recall. A series that started out promising, had a good second and third books, and then the fourth book dragged on and on. I skipped ahead 100 pages and saw that absolutely nothing had happened, so I just said "screw it" read the ending, raged for a few minutes, and then put those books behind me. One of the few times I haven't finished a (non-school related) book.
    Which series, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Fox View Post
    Agreed. It's why fics where the Mane 6 are getting old or feature their children make me sad.
    Eh, depends how their lives went between the show and that point. I like the occasional bit of bittersweet in my stories, as long as it isn't a plot-pull... Looking at you TTGL

And honestly, looking back is a perfect touch. I love the end of Reaper Man and Sourcery, I feel those are also great examples of how to write a bittersweet ending.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2011-08-18 at 07:16 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    <sigh> Still so very sick

So, I tried to finally update an OP, with new links added to practically every spoiler. Largest in weeks, if not months. Did I missed any good sites that started recently, or anypony's new fanwork?

Also, I believe there was a question about best comic from OP in last thread - the parts in it are all that exist, sadly, artist went on hiatus.

In other news, I was supposed to give AJ some prime time, but I'm too sick to look so have Woona edition instead:

Spoiler
    Show

Get well soon Trixie.

I have been writing roughly non stop since 2003.

No one said this was going to be easy.

I can assure you that it's absolutely worthwhile.
    Since... 2003?

Good lord, I have 6 years worth of writing to catch up on.

7. - Top - End - #247

Which series, if you don't mind me asking?

Eh, depends how their lives went between the show and that point. I like the occasional bit of bittersweet in my stories, as long as it isn't a plot-pull... Looking at you TTGL

And honestly, looking back is a perfect touch. I love the end of Reaper Man and Sourcery, I feel those are also great examples of how to write a bittersweet ending.
    Hey, sad isn't always a bad thing. I enjoy crying manly, manly tears once in a while.

Spoiler
    Show
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I've come to terms with being in a book club, but can we please call it The Illuminated Order of the Midnight Mare?
    ...No cult of Applejack? Come on, you have to at least list the Applejack Appreciation Association. We're a front for a cult!
    Ok, so we have for the list of Cults:

Midnight's Book Club The Illuminated Order of the Midnight Mare: A cult book club dedicated to late night book readings and good dental plans.

The Worshipers of the Lion-Pony: The followers of Leo believe that Leo is awesome, because he gives them bacon and has the Gods of Coffee and Pork on call.

The Cult of Nightmare Moon: Not sure exactly what they represent, but they sure represent it. Involves Nightmare Moon and bringing her to the world.

The Cult of the Pink One: Come, join the eternal party. We have cupcakes and cakes and muffins and more cupcakes and oh! did I mention the cakes?! We totally have cakes! All sorts of sugary goodness and all you have to do is come to the party!

Fluttermancers (can't find a good color I haven't already used to fit this one): You will love Fluttershy, or else! The Fluttermancers simply cannot comprehend not loving Fluttershy, and so see it as a sign of an abomination that must be purged.

The Triple A: Applejack Appreciation Association: A front for a cult of some sorts. Also enjoys its Applejacks.

Basically gonna agree with Kris Strife here. Yes, things make me sad easily, but sometimes bittersweet is a really good way to end things. Yeah, if I read a fic where the lives of the Mane 6 kept getting worse and worse by the end, I would be sad and not get enjoyment out of it. On the flip side, if it showed their lives, how good they went, and how much they loved and were loved throughout? I would be sad but happy at the same time, because I got to see a snapshot of their good lives.

[QUOTE=Kris Strife;11666260]Which series, if you don't mind me asking?[/COLOR]

Otherworld by Tad Williams. Part of it was probably that I was 14 or 15. The other was that I as the fourth book went on, I got less and less interested in the plot, characters, and so on.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, sad isn't always a bad thing. I enjoy crying manly, manly tears once in a while.
    Sad is good, a beloved mentor or a trusted friend sacrificing themselves... Yeah, that adds a lot of depth to the story. I didn't say everything should be sunshine and roses the whole way through...

Kamina and Kitan, Maes Hughes, Gandalf the Grey, Sturm and Flint in Dragonlance. All of these are great and poignant moments of sadness, and the stories wouldn't be the same with out them. A hero or redeemed villain who knowingly sacrifices himself to save the day is great, but you don't make the one thing that helped make it a personal struggle for the hero away from them with a last minute tone shift.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250

I just caught up to the end of the last thread. haven't read this thread yet.

But I just have to say this.

I am very annoyed, perhaps a bit angry.

think upon this

"But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is going good." - Oscar Wilde

I would say more but last time I spoke my mind on this board I recieved a major infraction warning. I expected more from you, pony thread.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

11. - Top - End - #251

Sad is good, a beloved mentor or a trusted friend sacrificing themselves... Yeah, that adds a lot of depth to the story. I didn't say everything should be sunshine and roses the whole way through...

Kamina and Kitan, Maes Hughes, Gandalf the Grey, Sturm and Flint in Dragonlance. All of these are great and poignant moments of sadness, and the stories wouldn't be the same with out them. A hero or redeemed villain who knowingly sacrifices himself to save the day is great, but you don't make the one thing that helped make it a personal struggle for the hero away from them with a last minute tone shift.
    Interestingly enough, I did not mind the ending of Gurren Lagann.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually felt sadder after the time skip at the end where it shows everyone 10 or 20 years later and you see that they are getting up there in the years. Like I said, that whole aura of finality to it.

Though for something that really got me teary at the pure beauty of it: Secret of Kells

The ending:
    Spoiler
    Show

It made me think of that one Keat's quote that goes something like "Beauty is Truth and Truth is Beauty", and what I got out of the whole shabang was the thought of the beauty and power of art, and how art will always prevail over destruction. Really a sweet film.

Right, ponies, should probably talk about them. I like ponies!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252

If you ask anyone ever what the secret to anything ever is, they'll tell you 'practise'. And they're not jerking you around. That's the actual, legitimate secret to everything ever.
    Well, the real secret is to be as awesome as I am, but practice works in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Since... 2003?

I have eight, so I know what you're talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post

think upon this

I would say more but last time I spoke my mind on this board I recieved a major infraction warning. I expected more from you, pony thread.
    The past thread or so was not exactly one of our most stunning moments in our history, no, I readily admit that.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Basically gonna agree with Kris Strife here. Yes, things make me sad easily, but sometimes bittersweet is a really good way to end things. Yeah, if I read a fic where the lives of the Mane 6 kept getting worse and worse by the end, I would be sad and not get enjoyment out of it. On the flip side, if it showed their lives, how good they went, and how much they loved and were loved throughout? I would be sad but happy at the same time, because I got to see a snapshot of their good lives.

Otherworld by Tad Williams. Part of it was probably that I was 14 or 15. The other was that I as the fourth book went on, I got less and less interested in the plot, characters, and so on.
    Very much so, that's why the long post I gave writing endings for each character showed them as reaching their goals, even if they drift apart from one another, just because of the very different ways those goals led them.

Except for Blueblood and Gilda, who got married, and have 2 of the most wonderful children you'll ever meet, and 3 obnoxious brats who have the worst of both parents combined.

think upon this

"But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is going good." - Oscar Wilde

Yeah, last thread got kind of... Tense. But hey, if we go 20 threads between meltdowns, I think we're doing pretty good actually.

Hopefully we'll get the air cleared, every pony will be feeling better after a break (if needed) and we can continue with our usual cheerful antics.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

Right, ponies, should probably talk about them. I like ponies!
    I like ponies! I like talkin' about ponies.

However, it is too early in the morning, and I am unable to actually think of anything to say save for the fact that waking up to all those adorable pictures makes me -HHNNNNNNNGGGGG- [/consciousness]

15. - Top - End - #255

think upon this

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    The past thread or so was not exactly one of our most stunning moments in our history, no, I readily admit that.
    All I have to say on the matter is that everypony needs to remember what makes Bronies Bronies, and not /b/tards with an affinity for cuteness.

Remember to Love and Tolerate every singl pony.

Seriously. Print it out and stick it on your wall if you have to. I'm not calling anypony out. I really can't, I didn't get through any of Brazen's thread. And I don't want to think of anypony in that light, so I'm not going to. Leave the specifics anonymous; ignorance is bliss, right?

I really just hope that we all learn from what happened. </serious>

---

SOO. HOW ABOUT THEM SHIPPINZ.
    Last edited by Titanium Fox; 2011-08-18 at 08:50 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Also, I think this is followup to comics someone posted here:

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, that's mine. I completely forgot to post it here, I was so tired last night. Thanks

First one is here, and and the second. And of course, the one that started it all, but everyone must have seen that one long ago.

This comic? Excellence. Trollestia is the bestia.
    Yay, thanks

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

SOO. HOW ABOUT THEM SHIPPINZ.
    BaconXDeliciousness.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Colossus in the Playground

That's a lie. I've been eating for over 20 years and my food still goes down the wrong pipe from time to time.

Also, I felt like being arbitrary and disagreeable.
    Behold Thanqol, for He has the Willpower to resist making a Yo Momma joke here. Truly an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Since... 2003?

I have eight, so I know what you're talking about!
    I feel like some sort of writing grogonard now. You darn fanfic writers! Back in my day we had to come up with our own cast of characters! And none of this technology-word-processy stuff, we had to write on dead trees while walking up the hill, in the snow, both ways! Get off my lawn!

think upon this

Oh hey, Kai. There was a brief moment of internet drama but I'm pretty convinced all is right with the world, or can be made right just by wanting it bad enough. And besides, without internet drama where are we going to get inspiration for letters to Celestia? Dear Celestia: FEELIN' FINE is great and all, but she gets bored, and when she gets bored.

Well.

In unrelated, the game Bastion is an artistic masterpiece and ya'll should check it out.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Behold Thanqol, for He has the Willpower to resist making a Yo Momma joke here. Truly an inspiration.
    Now I NEED to hear this joke.

Don't worry, I'm immune to Yo Momma jokes.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260

I feel like some sort of writing grogonard now. You darn fanfic writers! Back in my day we had to come up with our own cast of characters! And none of this technology-word-processy stuff, we had to write on dead trees while walking up the hill, in the snow, both ways! Get off my lawn!
    Uh-huh. When you get off your 'old-timey' thing, I'll note that I actually had to take typing classes in high school with actual typewriters.

21. - Top - End - #261

Uh-huh. When you get off your 'old-timey' thing, I'll note that I actually had to take typing classes in high school with actual typewriters.
    ...I feel young now.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait what? Typewriters?

That's seriously retro.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Electric, I take it. In my day, we didn't even have electricity; we barely had typing!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

I remember using a type writer at school when I was a kid, for fun. I don't remember having actual classes with it, but it was there and I was allowed to use it so I did.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

That's nothing! Back in my day, we had to take typing classes with pen and paper! Which is to say it wasn't typing class at all it was just English.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

26. - Top - End - #266

Remember, gentlemen and ladies, I started high school in the mid-90s. Now, admittedly, I think I might have been in the last class of that particular course, but I had to take it nonetheless.

And yes, they were electric. But I had a mechanical typewriter as a kid, before I had a computer.
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-08-18 at 09:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

The one I used at school was electric. Could even erase, it was really fancy. I think I had a very old one at some point. Made of cast iron or something, it was insanely heavy IIRC, and definitely not electric. I probably bought it on a flea market. That was all around 1990, maybe a little earlier.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

And all of a sudden I feel very young.
    The only time I ever used a typewriter, I ended up cutting myself by accident.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

29. - Top - End - #269

I broke a typewriter once!

In my defense, I was seven, and nobody told me not to mash all the keys at once.

I learned how to type through trial and error and Mario Teaches Typing.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    I broke a typewriter once!

In my defense, I was seven, and nobody told me not to mash all the keys at once.

I learned how to type through trial and error and Mario Teaches Typing.
    I learned how to type from Typing of The Dead. When I was around seven. Nothing like the hungering hordes of the undead trying to eat you gets a seven year old to learn how to type VERY quickly.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".