New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Dreamscarred Press] Psionics Augmented: Soulknife

Hey everyone!

Welcome to Psionics Augmented: Soulknife! Within the pages of this book, you will find options and abilities to do more with your soulknife than ever before. The psionic potential of the soulknife is explored more deeply, and ever-more secret techniques can be found. Will your soulknife wield akashic powers, binding veils to their mindblade? Or perhaps your soulknife will learn the ways to manipulate a psicrystal into a weapon, or enhance mundane steel? Or perhaps…. they will tackle the secrets of the Void.

• The Soulknife Augmented - This chapter brings new options to the soulknife class in the form of new blade skills and as new archetypes.
    • Feats and Traits - This chapter brings soulknife and mindblade using feats, multiclass feats for soulknives who dabble in the arts of other psionic classes, and traits for psionic characters.
    • Prestige Classes Augmented - This chapter provides soulknife specific alterations to existing prestige classes to better use them with the unique talents of the soulknife, as well as new prestige classes for highly specialized soulknives. Path of War and Path of War: Expanded may be necessary to use some of these prestige classes properly.
    • Psionic Powers and Items - Soulknife-specific psionic items as well as psionic powers that are unique to the gifted blade soulknives.

With Psionics Augmented: Soulknife you will find a whole wealth of new options to make your soulknife and the idealized-blade of mental power that they wield into the weapon you’ve always wanted to wield in your Pathfinder games!

Let's have a discussion! 1, 2, 3, PLAYTEST.

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2015-07-05 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Reformatting OP to open playtest
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Dreamscarred Press] Psionics Augmented: Soulknife

I really like the stuff I can do with mind daggers, changing the weapon on the fly between attacks is just a really interesting flavor angle for the class and highlights the nature of the weapon. So more stuff in that angle.

Fixes for some of the sketchier blade skills (like the really bad shield) and more nonstandard mind blades would be appreciated too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

sigh Re: [Dreamscarred Press] Psionics Augmented: Soulknife

Probably have to go with a tech supplement, but covering the intersection of mimicking tech weapons would be good, if difficult to balance.

Other than that...not sure.

4. - Top - End - #4

I have no idea what I'd like to see in such a book, I just know that I'd like to see it. The Soulknife is already about my favourite Pathfinder class, and more options could only be an improvement.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'd like to see something like the Dark Tempst PrC, but that works with the Mind Bolt and ranged attacks.

6. - Top - End - #6

Only one major thing: something that interacts with natural attacks. The only real way of doing that currently is through Deadly Fist and Feral Combat Training, however, that doesn't technically 'work', because of wording and such.

Something that mimics firearms would also be pretty cool, I think.

7. - Top - End - #7

DwarfClericGuy

I think a prestige class that advanced Soulknife and divine casting would be really cool, and maybe give it a unique blade skill converting some of the damage to divine damage, and potentially, gets benefits when it's blade is in the form of a deities favored weapon.

Another thing I've had is that, planning out a build for a Soul Archer, there were extremely sparse pickings after the Soulbolt had finished advancing Soul archer levels, so more ranged compatible blade skills.

An ACF that can't form a mind blade on it's own, but can use a weapon as a 'focus', and it can channel it's psionic energy into the weapon itself, functionally empowering the weapon. In exchange you get either bigger Psychic Strike dice, more Psychic Strike Dice, or the ability to use Psychic Strike more often.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Unique Gifted Blade powers. (Bestow blade, maybe? Cloud of knives mindblades?)

A Mind Daggers-centric throwing-based PrC or archetype.

Akashic crossover.

Gifted Blade Arcane Channeling equivalent.

A PrC that lets you form other stuff out of mindblade material, not just knives. (Sudden stalagmite mindblades? Sort of FFT-Holy Knight-y. Or natural weapons instead of mindblades.)

A mounted archetype. Mindlance. And with it, a cavalier hybrid PrC. Mount, psionic PLA?

Elemental mindblade Blade Talents.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Akashic crossover.
    This, I mean Aegis has one. And an Akashic Aegis//Akashic Soulknife gestalt would probably be rather fun.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Guns don't surprise me. It's been brought up a lot before! How do people feel about multiclass feats or alt class features for some existing PrC's?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PrC ACFs are neat design space.

How about racial paragon classes/archetypes with a soulknife focus?

Archetype that gives some aegis abilities.

Feats or archetype that let you share your blade with your psicrystal. Maybe fewer blade talents for an animal companion-esque psicrystal.

12. - Top - End - #12

Hm. Well, fiddle-ee-dee. Akashic stuff has been mentioned...Maybe a Path-of-War-tinged something? Trading away blade talents for maneuvers, possibly?

Maybe have some kind of "Psyblade Hunter" Archetype or Prestige class that gives favored enemies and offers unique ways to counter or injure them with the Mind Blade?
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'll just triple-iterate the akashic theme, which is what I was thinking.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Spamalot in the Playground

I have a few requests:

- Racial archetypes: I think the soulknives of different cultures would approach the class differently. For example, I would expect Dwarven soulknifes to actually be "Soulhammers," possibly gaining some kind of bonus or free ability while the blade is in bludgeoning form, and a penalty while it is not (or while it is piercing, so as not to penalize axe forms.) Meanwhile, the elven soulknife archetype would be able to do something cool, like switch between rapier and bow forms in the middle of a full attack.

- More bladeskills: In particular, this would let soulknives pick up some of the cool new tricks that have been introduced to PF since UPsi was released, like panache and dares.

- More weapon properties. There have been a bunch of new ones since UPsi was released, like Answering, Brawling (would be fantastic for the Deadly Fist) and Distracting. (Include a sidebar stating that Distracting affects psionics as well as magic when transparency is in use.)

I also want another soulknife that can get Agile besides Nimble Blade. That could be a racial archetype, or it could just be added to the regular ability list.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Guns don't surprise me. It's been brought up a lot before! How do people feel about multiclass feats or alt class features for some existing PrC's?

-X
    That actually sounds really cool. A Dark Tempest ACF that traded out Power Strike and modified the Expanded power list for Gifted Blade would be really cool, IMHO.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Unique Gifted Blade powers. (Bestow blade, maybe? Cloud of knives mindblades?)
    THIS!

Akashic crossover.
    THIS!

Elemental mindblade Blade Talents.
    We already have those, actually.

Something I would like to see would be a few weapon enhancements exclusive to mind blades, specially related to psychic strike. An ophiduan archetype with ways to generate poison in your mindblade would also be pretty cool. Some kind of positive/negative energy theme (be it by archetypes, blade skills or a combination of both) could work as well.

However, the one thing I think we need to see is the ability to cut through dimensions with your mindblade. Actually, the power to cut abstract things with your mindblade would also be pretty cool - say, cutting disease out of an ally. Or if your enemy is buffed (say, hasted) you cut the buff out of him.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

It's always bugged me that the Soulknife gets Wild Talent (which grants pp) and nothing with which to use them. I'd be interested to see options for spending pp on things for the Soul Knife. They have limited mechanisms without dipping to get more (Manifester property on the blade, for instance), so there could be interesting tricks to use here.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Idea: Give the Soulknife a PP progression (to go with Wild Talent). Make it small, and not scale with an ability (outside of Gifted Blade, of course). Allow them to spend PP to further enhance their mindblade for 1 round.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

19. - Top - End - #19

Double weapons... maybe an archetype that utilizes the alter blade more. I thought it would be awesome to ubercharge in with a 2-hander for the big hit, then swap to two weapon/double weapon fighting seamlessly. Also a PRC or 3 might be nice.
    Iron chef accomplishments
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in
    Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

Awesome avatar by Linklele! - currently seeking new avatar!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Akashic and PoW crossovers have been mentioned (ESPECIALLY a PrC to combine with Guru), so I'll register a vote there. Heck, I'd play anything that progressed binds, bladeskills, and Veil capacity.

ACFs from the new Hybrids (Panache and Martial Flexibility primarily) would be awesome

Favored Class bonuses from recent or otherwise missing races are the last thing on my list

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Please just stay away from the pile of Mary Sue garbage that is the Arcanist.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

Not to kick off a massive debate or anything, but Arcanist is a good class. Great for players who are new to Vancian and worried about gimping themselves with sorcerer spell selection, and the 'magical hacker' exploits give experienced players new toys to tinker with. I would love a divine version that similarly only has to prepare a given spell once and not worry about having multiple copies available.

I don't really see where it would overlap with Soulknife anyway though. But as far as making a new manifester, I would like to see one inspired by the Arcanist (and 3.5 erudite) - one that gives players more freedom from being chained to their powers known like a Psion and Sorcerer are.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #23

-X
    If by multiclass feats you mean stuff like UPsi's Knightmare... Absolutely. Sounds fun. Ha a ton of fun playing a Knightmare even with all the issues it has

On the subject of PrCs, I've always felt like soulknife should be playing nice with pyrokineticist given the similar themes.

And on the subject of pyrokineticist, I'd like to see mind's eye's alternate kineticists (cryo, aceto, electro and sono) again. Maybe something that lets the soulknife switch its pyrokineticist class features to match their elemental mind blade?
    Last edited by squiggit; 2014-09-04 at 12:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Please just stay away from the pile of Mary Sue garbage that is the Arcanist.
    Fax, come on, I would never go there. :P

Personally, I don't like the arcanist for a number of balance reasons. I was thinking more like the 3.5 multiclass feats and trying to avoid the whole 'combo' class thing for this book.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Fax, come on, I would never go there. :P

Personally, I don't like the arcanist for a number of balance reasons. I was thinking more like the 3.5 multiclass feats and trying to avoid the whole 'combo' class thing for this book.

-X
    Well, you could take a page from a couple of multiclass feats I wrote. You'd have to modify them to get them to do what you want, but...

Brilliant Erudite [Multiclass]
    Benefit: Determine the effects of your [Progressing, Psychic] abilities of any class that you have at least three levels in by substituting 1/2 your class level plus your hero value for your class level.
    Normal: You determine your class features according to your class level.

Dead Reckoning [Multiclass]
    Benefit: Determine the effects of your [Precision, Progressing] abilities of any class that you have at least three levels in by substituting 1/2 your class level plus your hero value for your class level.

Divine Influence [Multiclass]
    Benefit: Determine the effects of your [Divine, Progressing] abilities of any class that you have at least three levels in by substituting 1/2 your class level plus your hero value for your class level.

Forgotten Arcana [Multiclass]
    Benefit: Determine the effects of your [Arcane, Progressing] abilities of any class that you have at least three levels in by substituting 1/2 your class level plus your hero value for your class level.

Glorious Radiance [Multiclass]
    Benefit: Determine the effects of your [Aura, Progressing] abilities of any class that you have at least three levels in by substituting 1/2 your class level plus your hero value for your class level.

Legendary Leader [Multiclass]
    Benefit: Determine the effects of your [Companion, Progressing] abilities of any class that you have at least three levels in by substituting 1/2 your class level plus your hero value for your class level.

Masterful Aptitude [Multiclass]
    Benefit: Determine the effects of your [Martial, Progressing] abilities of any class that you have at least three levels in by substituting 1/2 your class level plus your hero value for your class level.

Nature's Blessing [Multiclass]
    Benefit: Determine the effects of your [Primal, Progressing] abilities of any class that you have at least three levels in by substituting 1/2 your class level plus your hero value for your class level.

Potent Lore [Multiclass]
    Benefit: Determine the effects of your [Lore, Progressing] abilities of any class that you have at least three levels in by substituting 1/2 your class level plus your hero value for your class level.

True Dedication [Multiclass]
    Benefit: Determine the effects of your [Discipline, Progressing] abilities of any class that you have at least three levels in by substituting 1/2 your class level plus your hero value for your class level.
    Hero Value being equal to 1/2 your character level.

I guess phrasing it here would be more like:

Mindthief [Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Sneak Attack +1d6, Mind Blade

Benefit: Determine the effects of your Sneak Attack and Mind Blade class features by substituting 1/2 your class level plus 1/2 your character level for your class level.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    Another thing I've had is that, planning out a build for a Soul Archer, there were extremely sparse pickings after the Soulbolt had finished advancing Soul archer levels, so more ranged compatible blade skills.
    It would be nice to have some way to throw mind nets without them dissipating on contact.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shinken View Post
    THIS!

THIS!

We already have those, actually.

Something I would like to see would be a few weapon enhancements exclusive to mind blades, specially related to psychic strike. An ophiduan archetype with ways to generate poison in your mindblade would also be pretty cool. Some kind of positive/negative energy theme (be it by archetypes, blade skills or a combination of both) could work as well.

However, the one thing I think we need to see is the ability to cut through dimensions with your mindblade. Actually, the power to cut abstract things with your mindblade would also be pretty cool - say, cutting disease out of an ally. Or if your enemy is buffed (say, hasted) you cut the buff out of him.
    I think cutting the threads of magic/psionics/etc with a mindblade would be really cool and very thematic; I'm not so sure about diseases and the like though.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #28

I'd love to see some kind of "psy-lash" archetype whose mindblade acts as a whip (kind of like the Pyrokineticist PrC but without the fire), with utility powers like swinging-assisted jumps and manipulating items with the lash at range.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

People have mentioned Akashic Crossover, I'm going to take that a step further. I want to see a full triage of Akasha, Soulknife, and Aegis, with a Vow of Poverty style restriction in exchange for getting full (or nearly full) access to all 3.

For the Soulknife itself I'd have to refresh myself on what features are already out there for the DSP Soulknife.

Edit: Okay here's something, I'd like to see an Archetype with a stronger emphasis on Psychic Strike. Getting to use it on all attacks in a full attack, or making it deal extra damage on a standard action strike, in exchange for giving up bladeskills or something. I've always felt like Psychic Strike should either be more similar in usability to Sneak Attack, or should provide significantly more damage than it does, as it is it mostly just feels weak and pointless. I know the class is already out, so that kind of big change isn't likely, but an Archetype should be able to find enough to trade out to make it work.

Another cool thing would be something like Fluid Blade, but instead of the Blade getting weaker each time, you had a set daily number of times you could use it (see: Aegis' reconfigure ability).
    Last edited by Seerow; 2014-09-04 at 03:19 PM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Personally I love the Soulknife, and have never been able to play a game with the proper DSP soulknife.

That being said, I like the idea I saw somewhere of an Invocation using Soulknife. Something like the Warlock but using Psionic Invocations, and the eldritch blast equivalent was the increasing Mind Blade value.

I'd also like to second the idea of forming the Mind Blade into Mind Tools, or something similar. Shape the Mind Blade in such a way that it's useful as a grappling hook, or thieve's tools, or a crowbar, etc.
    Spoiler: Fun quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    You could mine nobel prizes out of this catgirl-as-valid-physics-detector concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Dragons don't tell the laws of reality to sit down and shut up; rather, the laws meekly ask the dragon permission before standing up in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Remember: If D&D was a computer program, it wouldn't compile

Waysterra: It Has Always Been This Way (Desert Campaign Setting)