New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1255
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Varsuvius' Kill-Count: Familicide By The Numbers

It seems to be you who is using a non-English billion, since that's 10^12 or approximately 2^40

EDIT: I didn't see Page 2 before posting. Perfectly explained.
    Last edited by ref; 2012-03-06 at 08:18 PM.
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    It seems to be you who is using a non-English billion, since that's 10^12 or approximately 2^40
    American billion = 10^9
    Old British billion = 10^12

"English" billion, depends what you mean by that...
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ever since 1974, a "British Billion" techincally doesn't exist. Even if there are legacy bits here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by From the 'Ever Reliable' Wikipedia
    For most of the 19th and 20th centuries, the United Kingdom uniformly used the long scale,[3] while the United States of America used the short scale,[3] so that the two systems were often referred to as British and American in the English language. In 1974, the government of the UK switched to the short scale, a change that is reflected in its mass media and official usage.[4][5][6][7][8][9] Although some residual usage of the long scale continues in the UK,[10][11] the phrases British usage and American usage are no longer accurate characterisations.
    The only reason I even knew there was such a thing as a "British Billion" is that I once had a dictionary/reference book from the 50s and it had seperate charts for the US and UK when it came to numbers.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-03-06 at 08:36 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #1024

Meh, have your system where a billion equals 103*3, a trillion equals 103*4, and so on if you wish.

5. - Top - End - #1025

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    2^10=1024
    2^30=(2^10)^3=1024^3 = ~ a billion.

Unless you use a non-english "billion"..
    I expect that ref in fact uses an English billion. What he doesn't use is an American billion.

If you're still confused, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    The really important question is: How much XP does V get for that?

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    Even including the ABD, seeing as V was AT LEAST Level 75 at that time, V gets... Zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lorddrake View Post
    Yes, I understand that, but what about the hypothetical son of Penelope and Tarquin, how would this baby be killed by Familicide?
    The child would be a blood relative of Penelope (clause 2), Tarquin however is still NOT a blood relative of Penelope (just the child) and so is still safe.

For Tarquin to be a target in the above example the description would have to have been:

(Clause 1) Every living creature that shares your bloodline is dead. (This includes the entire Draketooth line).

(Clause 2) Any living creature that is directly related to any of those creatures is also dead. (Kills Penelope through the child with Orrin and would kill any child that she could have had with Tarquin but not Tarquin himself).

(Hypothetical Clause 3) Any living creature that is directly related to any of those creatures is also dead. (If this clause had been added then if Tarquin and Penelope had a child Tarquin, Elan and Nale would also be killed as would a theoretical child that Nale might have had with some previous lover but NOT the lover herself)

Fortunately the spell limited itself to the first two clauses and thereby reduced the collateral damage considerably.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: How many degrees of Consanguinity?

BTW, the timeline is no indication of the age of the world.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I have a very simple explanation for it: non-native English speaker.

For example, in my native language, a billion is 1 000 000 000 000.

1 000 000 000, which is a "billion" in English, is a "milliard".

It can be confusing, yes, but should be so only on one level. :-P
    Cool. I'm kind of an amateur language buff. If you don't mind my asking, in what language does one billion still equal a million million?

10. - Top - End - #1030

In several of the European languages it is a billion with twelve zeros.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    BTW, the timeline is no indication of the age of the world.
    However, it can be weakly corroborated by both Shojo's description of the age of the world as "a thousand years and more" in his Crayon exposition and
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak's description of world history as "a few years" followed by "centuries" followed by "centuries" again.
    It's not a stretch to establish that OotSworld is less than two millennia old based on this evidence.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: How come no one noticed Familicide?

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeonstone View Post
    On the whole of it, there simply may not be that many humans who have gone out of their way to have children with a dragon (a black dragon no less) in the 1000 or so years that the Stick-verse has been around.
    Humans have probably NEVER gone out of their way to do that. A dragon shapeshifted into a human and after some (for them) kinky stuff, though, that's far more likely!

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    I wonder..what is a Death effect in D&D. Heart Attack like in Death Note? Stroke? Freak Annuerism? It would have to be some bodily failure that hits without warning and is untraceable by non-magical means... Oh well I will puzzle this for a few hours.
    Personally, I made death effects as your body still being perfectly functional, but your sould being torn away from your body. When a character was subjected to a death effect, he felt a vvery short but very extreme pain "as if every cell of your body was being ripped apart from any other cell", and that's the pain of the soul being ripped away from the body.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Humans have probably NEVER gone out of their way to do that. A dragon shapeshifted into a human and after some (for them) kinky stuff, though, that's far more likely!
    I suppose you don't know enough about fetishes then.
    I condensed my knowledge of the matter in two laws.
    First law: if you can think about it, then it's someone's fetish.
    Second law: if you can't think about it, then it's probably still someone's fetish.
    I expect there would be plenty of humans wanting to mate with dragons. Without shapeshifting involved.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

14. - Top - End - #1034

Default Re: Familicide Mega-Thread

I'm sure someone posted this before somewhere in this thread, but I have a rather sure guess why Haerta Bloodsoak didn't "stay in the game", as Xykon calls it.

She used Familicide.
    Once.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    I wonder..what is a Death effect in D&D. Heart Attack like in Death Note? Stroke? Freak Annuerism? It would have to be some bodily failure that hits without warning and is untraceable by non-magical means... Oh well I will puzzle this for a few hours.
    I'd go for the "Harry Potter" route (same way as I describe Mana Bolt in Shadowrun): You're perfectly healthy except for the fact that you are, you know, dead.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum
    Well, there's that old joke floating around in the Forums:
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel(?)
    Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.
    Spoiler
    Show

Want a generic roleplaying system but find GURPS too complicated? Try GMS.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm guessing the biggest reason is that the deaths were spread around so much - no more than one or two, or one family, in a single city or village. If a thousand people in one area were all wiped out, we'd hear of it, but considering how apparently random the victims were, it's possible nobody's yet pieced together the fact that a thousand people all dropped dead at the same time for no visible reason.

On the other hand, I definitely agree that the Reptilian ambassador was telling the Empress something about Familicide. How much Reptilia has figured out (they're the most likely to have even noticed that something happened, and its possible entire villages or cities - or a lot of very important people - simply dropped dead) will be left to speculation for a while, but they might have had enough time to divine the cause.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Cool. I'm kind of an amateur language buff. If you don't mind my asking, in what language does one billion still equal a million million?
    German is one of them, as well as pretty much any other European language except for English (I'm sure for French, and Wiki says it's also in Italian, Polish, Portugese and Spanish). EDIT: Browsing through the articles for "Billion" in the languages I can sort of understand, it seems to be the case for Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian as well.

On V's effective level: If you have a logarihmic scale, "one more than the highest current level in the Soulmeld" should be a good approximation.
    Last edited by Autolykos; 2012-03-07 at 09:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Want a generic roleplaying system but find GURPS too complicated? Try GMS.

18. - Top - End - #1038

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Draketooth baby is a blood relative of ABD (clause 1).

Penelope is "directly related" to her baby (clause 2).
    How can he be blood relative to ABD since he's not one of her descendant.

He could be a blood relative only if :
    - ABD was Girard's greatfather.
    - ABD's son was Girard greatfather.
    - Another of ABD's child (or grandchild) was Girard's greatfather.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

19. - Top - End - #1039

Still, there is no direct link between age and history. History is after all a human (and goblin) concept about recording what people have done in the past.
    Or to put it another way; history start with the advent of the first civilisation with interest in recording the present, and past, with accuracy. The Romans for example were less interested in precision in this area, and took liberties in their written works for various reason.

Otoh, the rocks and lavaflows of the early years in a planets forming never bothered with such things as history:) Millions of years pass with not even a footnote in a book of stone.

20. - Top - End - #1040

Quote Originally Posted by Autolykos View Post
    German is one of them, as well as pretty much any other European language except for English (I'm sure for French, and Wiki says it's also in Italian, Polish, Portugese and Spanish). EDIT: Browsing through the articles for "Billion" in the languages I can sort of understand, it seems to be the case for Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian as well.

On V's effective level: If you have a logarihmic scale, "one more than the highest current level in the Soulmeld" should be a good approximation.
    Ow... I'm sorry but I'm expert on that one and in Portuguese it is not.
    "Evil is so passč, I prefer to be thought of as just a genius."

Homebrew - The awesome Tier 1 Fighter!

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chess Tyrant View Post
    Well,

1) The world isn't much over a thousand years old. It's possible the gods created several tens of thousands of each race at the beginning of the world, and while V wiped out a few of them, even at the furthest definition of 'blood relative,' s/he only killed a few thousands of tens of thousands of people, scattered all across the world. Unfortunate, but by no means cataclysmic (except to the black dragons).

2) V mentions in the spell description that it only targets living relatives of the main target, and then only targets living relatives of those people. To an immortal race such as dragons, this could be apocalyptic; to short-lived races, humans in particular, it's not as much of a problem.

3) Combine this with the fact that it only affects two sets of targets - the primary target, and all the people killed when it was cast on the primary target - and we can see that it wouldn't annihilate anyone vaguely related to anyone vaguely related to anyone vaguely related to the ABD. For example, even if Penelope had borne Tarquin a son, Tarquin wouldn't have died, because the Familicide effect was only recast on Orrin and Penelope's daughter, and Tarquin doesn't share any blood with that child. Penelope/Tarquin's hypothetical child does, and would die, but Elan would be safe.
    This.
    It says "everyone who shares blood with the dragon, and then everyone who shares blood with them". Full stop.
    It doesn't say "everyone who shares blood with the dragon, and then everyone who shares blood with them, and then everyone who shares blood with THOSE LAST ONES, and then everyone who shares blood with THOSE OTHERS, etc. etc..." for ever and ever.

Also, yeah... if it only targets living people, it doesn't go back several generations, and there isn't even need to track back to the creation of the world (although point #1 is valid as well).

/thread, yes?
    Last edited by ManuelSacha; 2012-03-07 at 11:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1042

I don't know how we got to this tangent, but in Spanish "millón" is 10^6, and "billón" is 10^12. For 10^9, the Spanish say "mil millones," or "a thousand million." Interesting that Portuguese does not.

(Taking college-level Spanish at the moment.)
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: That poor Weepie...

Quote Originally Posted by XxXU2XxX View Post
    That poor Weepie solider... Already living in an Empire of sadness, only to be charmed by a Draketooth for the sole purpose of conceiving a child, only THEN to be innocently killed for being related to them.

He lived and died a life of sadness
    What shall we call this Weepie soldier?

I wish to commemorate him.

We will remember, Weepie Soldier. :(
    Groveling Priest of The Most Sacred Dot of comic #723

In memorium - Azure City and the Resistance. You will always have a place in my heart, especially the Elven special forces, in all your badass awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    They are just random numbers. There is no significance.

Not everything in the comic has a hidden meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    HA!

24. - Top - End - #1044

Quote Originally Posted by doodthedud View Post

The Blue Guardian of Sorrow? And there will be sorrow no more...

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

His life was filled with sadness, his afterlife now with joy for we understand his pain and pay homage to his memory.

26. - Top - End - #1046

DwarfFighterGuy

This couldn't go in the main thread because...

27. - Top - End - #1047

Under his armor, he wears a T-tunic that says:

"My Daddy cheated on my mommy with a red-haired hussy, and all I got out of it was death"
    Last edited by rewinn; 2012-03-07 at 12:47 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Interesting that Portuguese does not.
    I saw that the poster who said Portuguese does not was from Brazil. Maybe a difference between European Portuguese and Brazillian Portuguese?

The aforementioned Wikipedia article (I know, I know) seemed to say that Brazil uses short scale while Portugal uses long scale.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-03-07 at 12:50 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

29. - Top - End - #1049

That Guy with a Spear.
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by XxXU2XxX View Post
    I think it'd be more along the lines of:

"We're going to try and conquer another nation huh... We'll probably fail..."
    So they're basically all Eeyores, huh?
    Don't take me that seriously.