New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: old computer games i forgot their name

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    One quick search on Mobygames later... The Final Matrix?
    That could be it. The name sounds familiar, anyway, and the description sounds similar.

Unfortunately there's no screen shot on that site, so I can't say for sure.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    That could be it. The name sounds familiar, anyway, and the description sounds similar.

Unfortunately there's no screen shot on that site, so I can't say for sure.
    You mean like these ones?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

This belongs in Gaming (Other).

Thread moved.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

oooh nice

I've been trying to remember an old Sega Megadrive game I played as a kid. I only remember one tiny detail of the whole thing: at the end of the second(? almost sure) level, there is a catapult with a sign with a downward red arrow next to it, instructing you to press the down button. If you do so, you jump onto the catapult and shoot yourself into the next level. I believe it was a castle you see in the background, all kinda fuzzy

That's it, all I know. I think the character you played was human, or maybe not
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2010-08-28 at 08:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Why not, there was this game where you were like a fairie that turned monsters into ladders. I think you could also do stone walls? One of the was this green thing. You had to do it to finish the level so you could reach exits and such. Very mental game.
    Sounds like Rodland although you conjured ladders, not turn monsters into them.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caustic Soda View Post
    My question isn't about a PC game as such, but I suppose it is still tangentially relevant.

When I was 6-8 or so, the kindergarden I went used to have an old television/console on which we could play games. I am unsure whether it was a NES or something else. In any case the game was a platform RPG-ish thing with sprites. I *think* it was in 16 colors, but it may have been more. There were three different areas, city, caves and castle. In these areas you would be attacked by the inhabitants, who were thieves, monsters, and ladies with handbags respectively. There were three types of classes you could switch between, thief, mage and knight. If you were the appropriate class, mage for caves etc., then the local residents would not attack you. The three classes had subcategories, of which I only really remember the mages. One could shoot fireballs, one could levitate, and one could walk through a lavafall. I can't remember if there was any text to go along with it, and in any case I couldn't read English at the time. There were some cutscenes which showed a guy with a crown, with another guy with a crown shackled to a pillar in his throne room. We called the guy on the throne the 'evil king', and looking back he was probably an evil usurper or something. In any case, the game had you fight him, and some kind of Black Knight, at the finale, IIRC.

I remember the game relatively well, but I have absolutely no idea what it was called, or even what console it was on. I think I would recognize it if I saw it, though.
    Wizards and Warriors III, for the Nintendo Entertainment System.

7. - Top - End - #127

MonkGuy

You mean like these ones?
    Ah, didn't see the link before.

Yes, that is the game.

Good fun it was too, although (as with mot CPC games) it didn't have a save function, so it would have been a bugger to play if I hadn't had one of those "Multiface" gizmos to make memory dumps.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey, any of you know this game? It's a 3d shoulder-view mecha action game for pc where your mech can turn into a plane. Not that old, but not that new either. From the 2000s I think.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Hey, any of you know this game? It's a 3d shoulder-view mecha action game for pc where your mech can turn into a plane. Not that old, but not that new either. From the 2000s I think.
    Sounds like Gun Metal.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Okay. This is a REAL old one and so details are probably way off, but here it goes:
    You are inside a robot that has to negotiate a complex maze. You can rewire the robot to time things carefully like move 5 seconds open and close claw, etc. I remember wiring big chips to do specific tasks and then shrinking them to small chips (making them unchanglable after.) I think if you step out of the robot, monsters saw you and killed you, but there was safe areas just prior to the next maze.

Another even older (predates dos) game, early 80's was a black and white where you are a stick figure that shoots dots at monsters in a huge maze. Eventually either you find the exit (which takes you to another huge maze) or a big invincible bat shows up and kills you.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2010-08-29 at 12:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Another even older (predates dos) game, early 80's was a black and white where you are a stick figure that shoots dots at monsters in a huge maze. Eventually either you find the exit (which takes you to another huge maze) or a big invincible bat shows up and kills you.
    Shamus, maybe?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moon-faced Assassin of Joy

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Okay. This is a REAL old one and so details are probably way off, but here it goes:
    You are inside a robot that has to negotiate a complex maze. You can rewire the robot to time things carefully like move 5 seconds open and close claw, etc. I remember wiring big chips to do specific tasks and then shrinking them to small chips (making them unchanglable after.) I think if you step out of the robot, monsters saw you and killed you, but there was safe areas just prior to the next maze.
    Oh God, I was playing that just a couple of months ago! I can't remember the name!
    Last edited by DwarvenExodus; 2010-09-10 at 12:09 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJesus View Post
    Plus, with the UMD check, I could just threaten to blow the world up using stonehendge.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I love how it never crosses anyone's mind that the author may know less about astronomy than they do.

I WENT TO ART SCHOOL, OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    From what you described, you were dying.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
    Brendan Gill

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenExodus View Post
    Oh God, I was playing that just a couple of months ago! I can't remember the name!

For the love of god, Montresor!
    Think. Pretty please!
    Yes please remember!
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2010-09-10 at 01:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Wizards and Warriors III, for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
    That's it! Thanks! . Heh, it feels all weird to see that game again. It is by far the game that reminds me most of my childhood. Mostly be cause I still play Colonization or Wolfenstein 3D once in a while.
    LGBTA+itP

Neat-looking avatar by Ninja Chocobo.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've played gun metal, but what I was looking for was battle engine aquila. Thanks guys!
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Got a request of my own.

Adventure game, played (I think) on the Amiga, or possibly PC. Started out in some sort of dystopian alien city, where you seemed to be very out of place, and possibly the only human. I remember very little, except that you were near a bar at the start, and wound up getting away from the first area by stealing a jetbike. There was a row of bikes, and you'd get shocked trying to touch one. I seem to recall you got the key by sneaking into a bedroom, where you meet a not unsympathetic female. don't recall if you meet her again (in fact, don't remember if I finished it).

oh, and another one, only really played the extended demo, but was always impressed by the quality. FPS with adventure elements, kind of reminded me of a fantasy version of Deus Ex, conversations and inventory and all. I think you started out in a prison, and were trying to escape from a town. One of the first weapons you got was a crossbow, which I believe had a few different ammo types. I think you get busted out by some underground resistance types.

Sorry, if these are vague, but you are all so wise!
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Fantastic avatar created by artist extraordinaire, Kwarkpudding

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    Got a request of my own.

Adventure game, played (I think) on the Amiga, or possibly PC. Started out in some sort of dystopian alien city, where you seemed to be very out of place, and possibly the only human. I remember very little, except that you were near a bar at the start, and wound up getting away from the first area by stealing a jetbike. There was a row of bikes, and you'd get shocked trying to touch one. I seem to recall you got the key by sneaking into a bedroom, where you meet a not unsympathetic female. don't recall if you meet her again (in fact, don't remember if I finished it).
    Spaceship Warlock?
    It was on the Mac and PC, but the dystopian alien city and bar fits

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

No, not Spaceship Warlock, looks like a cool game though. Should have mentioned that it was an Isometric/Space Quest style view.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

No, not Spaceship Warlock, looks like a cool game though. Should have mentioned that it was an Isometric/Space Quest style view.
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/innocent-until-caught ?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

oh, and another one, only really played the extended demo, but was always impressed by the quality. FPS with adventure elements, kind of reminded me of a fantasy version of Deus Ex, conversations and inventory and all. I think you started out in a prison, and were trying to escape from a town. One of the first weapons you got was a crossbow, which I believe had a few different ammo types. I think you get busted out by some underground resistance types
    Sounds a lot like Strife, specially the crossbow thing.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Sounds a lot like Strife, specially the crossbow thing.
    Bingo! Sorry for not mentioning the odd mix of medievil and tech, but I was convinced I was remembering it wrong somehow.

The first one isn't Innocent until Caught either. Looks wrong, and wasn't humorous. Tempted to withdraw it actually, I feel like my description just isn't adding up, I might be remembering it all wrong!

23. - Top - End - #143

Ok, I have one unnamed game that I want to search for on GoG.

It's a 2000-2004 aprox. RTS medieval fantasy game. 3D graphics a bit better than those of Empire Earth, camera could move freely.

You started with some sort of walled Keep and you could build your usual base structures only around it, effectively creating a walled city. Attached to the keep you had a village outside, where recources are harvested (gold, wood).

One of the unique things about the game was that everyone started the same with militia armies, spearmen and such, but by constructing religion buildings you took one tech tree or another. There were pagan-demonic temples, that unlocked the demonic tech tree with succubus, amazons, fanatics, and big uglies. Then there were pseudocatholic churches and cathedrals, that unlocked Knights, men at arms, and a giant statue of a Seraphin that comes to life. If you didn't build a religious building, the tech tree unlocked renacentistic gunpowder soldiers.
    Last edited by Rustic Dude; 2010-09-15 at 05:01 AM.
    Wait, what signature?

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Dude View Post
    Ok, I have one unnamed game that I want to search for on GoG.

It's a 2000-2004 aprox. RTS medieval fantasy game. 3D graphics a bit better than those of Empire Earth, camera could move freely.

You started with some sort of walled Keep and you could build your usual base structures only around it, effectively creating a walled city. Attached to the keep you had a village outside, where recources are harvested (gold, wood).

One of the unique things about the game was that everyone started the same with militia armies, spearmen and such, but by constructing religion buildings you took one tech tree or another. There were pagan-demonic temples, that unlocked the demonic tech tree with succubus, amazons, fanatics, and big uglies. Then there were pseudocatholic churches and cathedrals, that unlocked Knights, men at arms, and a giant statue of a Seraphin that comes to life. If you didn't build a religious building, the tech tree unlocked renacentistic gunpowder soldiers.
    Warrior Kings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moon-faced Assassin of Joy

25. - Top - End - #145

Thank you very much. That's the name.
    Wait, what signature?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starfols View Post
    In addition to my other one, I thought of another game.

It's a space exploration game, where you fly around and do diplomacy and shooting and all that. You play in a T shaped fighter-plane looking ship, and the pilot looks vaguely like M Night Shyamalan. The first person you meet is a klingon-lobster type guy, and I think one of the dialogue options is insulting his mother.
    Solar Winds?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Hurrah! I have found it myself
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/robot-odyssey
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2010-09-15 at 01:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Solar Winds?
    Spoiler
    Show
    NOSTALGIA TRIP

Yes, yes! that's it, thank you very much!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It's not a computer game technically, but an arcade game. You were a King Kong/Godzilla/Kaiju monster (or monsters, it supported multiple players) that smashed buildings, ate civilians, and fought off army troops/tanks/helicopters. I think it was called "Rampage" or something, and I remember a video game magazine ad for it with the tagline "Eat. Burp. Eat. Burp. Eat. Burp. Puke."

EDIT: Google to the rescue...Rampage indeed, and apparently it was an entire franchise. Whoda thunk it.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-09-22 at 04:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150

Got a request of my own.

Could it be one of the episodes of Space Quest?