New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default IC IX: Turning the Tide

The air is cool and fresh in the Woodhelm forests as the party rides through. For Kurt, Mithril, and Natalia, it has been a matter of weeks since they traveled through these forests from the port city of Cardonne. For Rhenner, it has been a much longer time, and not all the memories are pleasant.

The party is glad to be back on their horses. With Avaralynn's help it was simple to retrieve the horses from Deldon, though the priestess warned them that they would not always be able to rely on her for such favors. She told them she would be in solitude for some time as she delved into Boccob's Book of abjuration, and that the process would take all her attention and magical ability. With luck, once the party finds the Book of divination, she will be ready to put both of them to use.

For now, however, the party had elected to rejoin the Hulburg party to assist in their crucial mission. The Hooded Half-Orc has been in Eldgar for a week with a minimal party, and the Hulburg party has been tracking him through the Woodhelm forests. Asdyr suspects that the Hooded One's operations could be essential to the Voice's plans, and Lucius's message suggested that with help, they may be able to foil his plans for good. So they have arranged on a meeting place, on a road between two small elven villages, where the parties will reunite.

Still, at the forefront of everyone's mind is not the upcoming meeting, but the events of the last two hours, especially Shiny's departure and the information Natalia had found. In the midst of Asdyr's concern (and fury) over the security risk that Shiny posed to the operation, they had had no time to reflect or discuss it, instead opting to depart for their mission as quickly as possible. But now that they are back on the trail, the fastastical gnome's absence is deeply felt.

Welcome. Everyone earns 500 Bonus XP for reaching this new chapter of the story.

You don't have to roleplay "Natalia tells everyone about the letter," which I'm handwaving over, but you can jump right into discussion like "I can't believe..." or whatever else you want along those lines. (No reason you have to talk about Shiny at all of course!)

The tongues spell on Natalia that Shiny cast is still in effect but not far from its end. Coffee can choose when it runs out.
    Last edited by Admiral; 2015-06-22 at 02:18 PM.
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: IC IX: Turning the Tide

The air is cool and fresh, but it does nothing to alleviate the lead bar weighing down Natalia. Deldon is doing fine, and she's grateful to avaralynn and didn't realize how much she missed riding, or traveling through the forests under clear blue sky and broad-leafed trees, but she still feels lost and adrift. One hand drags Rust's reins closer to her blade, but the other leads Tinkerbell alone, almost obsessively petting the warpony's mane.

Her worries about Mithril and herself seem so small, almost trivial in the face of this horrifying revelation, only compounded by Shiny's sudden absence. According to rhenner, he just suddenly vanished, slipping into the city crowds and out of sight.

Silence, and then with a hoarse croak she tries again. "Mith...Kurt, what...Rhenner, have you ever heard anything..." But she falls silent again. Even with his spell (his last spell, and just like Miriam's last spell she can feel its help running out), she can't find the words.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-06-22 at 08:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

It felt odd riding Honey again, but Mithril was glad the dwarves had not eaten him. She felt strangely at peace with herself for the first time in a long while. Even with the looming threat of the Prisoner, even with the path Boccob had sent her on, she felt better. "We all have secrets Natalia. Sometimes you can't share them. Sometimes you want to pretend they aren't real." She couldn't offer much comfort to her, but Shiny had to have reasons. He had been helpful to them, and if Kurt had taught her anything,no, if Mithril had taught herself anything, it was that people change.

4. - Top - End - #4

Griffon

Rhenner rides his new horse a bit awkwardly. He was never too fond of riding as a way to get from one place to another, but preferred to walk on his own too feet, or ride a wagon if it was necessary. And this place... it awakes many feelings in him, and Rhenner is not quite sure he likes that. He's not sure if he had ever been on this particular road before, the memories of this forest are distant, but he knows the look of these trees, the smells and collection of sounds. Surprising really, since if his life in the Church active service was already like another life, then these memories belonged to one even older than that. To a time he hadn't even thought about in ages, or so it felt. Curious that he would come here now, this new journey directed him to the strangest places, from across the world right back next to his childhood forest.

It's not like he had purposefully avoided this area either, but for a reason or another, he had never gotten around to come here again. Not even when he perhaps should have. The conversation of his companions, pulls his attention back to the present, and he half-elf shakes his head slightly. What reason was it to ponder about that, it's not like he was here to visit home now either.

"Sorry, did you say something?", he asks, "Afraid I dozed off there for a moment."
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-06-23 at 11:01 AM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

5. - Top - End - #5

What had shiny said to her? That if you tell yourself that you're a hero enough times, you'll start to believe it? Had he been letting on more about himself than he realized? She knows about old shames, bubbling up like sludge that you want to carve out with a hot knife, but this..,

Rage bubbles in her too, turned inward as well as outward, but why?

Something cuts into her palms and Natalia looks down at clenched fists to see it's her fingernails.

"I know that!" she suddenly shouts without entirely knowing why. And then the words come out like a torrent. "He hinted that himself! But I trusted him, we trusted him, I told him I trusted him, and he abandoned us! We need him, and he left us! And if this is true, that, that he..." she clenches her fists tighter and her voice quavers as well. "There's got to be a reason! And he's got to come back to explain! We trusted him, I trust...trusted him, and you!" It comes out before she can stop herself, two of the three things on her mind bursting out in a tangle. "I trusted you, and now it's like I don't even matter. Like my opinion isn't important at all, and why? Why are you passing over me like this? And why did Shiny, I don't even know where to start with Shiny! I don't even know what to feel about Shiny right now except how much this hurts, and how much I don't want this to be happening! I don't want any of this to be happening and I don't know what to do! What can we do?!"

She hears what Rhenner asks, but only in a distant, detached sort of way.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-06-23 at 05:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    What had shiny said to her? That if you tell yourself that you're a hero enough times, you'll start to believe it? Had he been letting on more about himself than he realized? She knows about old shames, bubbling up like sludge that you want to carve out with a hot knife, but this..,

Rage bubbles in her too, turned inward as well as outward, but why?

Something cuts into her palms and Natalia looks down at clenched fists to see it's her fingernails.

"I know that!" she suddenly shouts without entirely knowing why. And then the words come out like a torrent. "He hinted that himself! But I trusted him, we trusted him, I told him I trusted him, and he abandoned us! We need him, and he left us! And if this is true, that, that he..." she clenches her fists tighter and her voice quavers as well. "There's got to be a reason! And he's got to come back to explain! We trusted him, I trust...trusted him, and you!" It comes out before she can stop herself, two of the three things on her mind bursting out in a tangle. "I trusted you, and now it's like I don't even matter. Like my opinion isn't important at all, and why? Why are you passing over me like this? And why did Shiny, I don't even know where to start with Shiny! I don't even know what to feel about Shiny right now except how much this hurts, and how much I don't want this to be happening! I don't want any of this to be happening and I don't know what to do! What can we do?!"

She hears what Rhenner asks, but only in a distant, detached sort of way.
    Mithril looked at Natalia, exasperated. "And I wanted a short adventure before going back to help with the shop. But we can't get what we want Natalia. This world is a screwed up place and we have a chance to do something bigger with it. We only have two options, die or fight." And those aren't mutually exclusive either. She dropped back to ride at the end of the train of horses, taking deep breathes to calm herself.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Mithril looked at Natalia, exasperated. "And I wanted a short adventure before going back to help with the shop. But we can't get what we want Natalia. This world is a screwed up place and we have a chance to do something bigger with it. We only have two options, die or fight." And those aren't mutually exclusive either. She dropped back to ride at the end of the train of horses, taking deep breathes to calm herself.
    "I know that!" It bursts out of her again, but when she sees Mithril and everyone she stops and slumps over. Deep breaths, in an out, choke back the tears. "I know that. And of course I'm going to fight! But I'm still upset. And afraid. About everything, and there are other words but I can't...get them out...right now. About Shiny, and about me, and about you. About what happened." She looks down at her hands, thick and calloused even under gloves.

"I want to recognize us when this is all over. Come out of this better, not broken. But...of course I'm going to fight. Going to fix." Natalia pauses again. "I...not sure...where I was going with this."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-06-25 at 12:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt is silent in thought over what was revealed from that letter, a truly chilling revelation about the one he'd suspected least in the party. He's not even sure what he's feeling about it, masked by two warring voices in the back of his head arguing over whether such a thing is even possible or not - the consequences of it being true are too much for him right now, much too large. "What if it meant killing one of us? Or Shiny." An uncharacteristically dour prediction from the stalwart dwarf, before he retreats back into himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Kurt is silent in thought over what was revealed from that letter, a truly chilling revelation about the one he'd suspected least in the party. He's not even sure what he's feeling about it, masked by two warring voices in the back of his head arguing over whether such a thing is even possible or not - the consequences of it being true are too much for him right now, much too large. "What if it meant killing one of us? Or Shiny." An uncharacteristically dour prediction from the stalwart dwarf, before he retreats back into himself.
    "No!" No, that can't happen. Not to Shiny, not to Mithril despite what she said, not any of them. "There, there has to...reason...Or...Rhenner, what you know?..." She looks up with barely-restrained helplessness and fear despite struggling regardless before retreating back into herself as well.

10. - Top - End - #10

Griffon

"No!" No, that can't happen. Not to Shiny, not to Mithril despite what she said, not any of them. "There, there has to...reason...Or...Rhenner, what you know?..." She looks up with barely-restrained helplessness and despite struggling regardless before retreating back into herself as well.
    Rhenner shakes his head. "I know no more than you do, he said nothing else than to pass on his goodbyes. I'm sorry, I had no idea he was going to run."

Or that he might have had reason to.
    Rhenner doesn't know what to think of the letter and its claims. It was outrageous and sounded inconceivable; he'd always thought the Immortals were all completely insane, unable to act like normal people. Though admittedly, Shiny had not always seemed to be entirely sane either.. The uncertainty of what to think is written clearly on the cleric's face.

11. - Top - End - #11

"If it must be done, then it must be done. You were willing to carry out that duty before, but I may be the only one able to oppose Shiny if it comes to that."

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Rhenner shakes his head. "I know no more than you do, he said nothing else than to pass on his goodbyes. I'm sorry, I had no idea he was going to run."

Or that he might have had reason to.
    Rhenner doesn't know what to think of the letter and its claims. It was outrageous and sounded inconceivable; he'd always thought the Immortals were all completely insane, unable to act like normal people. Though admittedly, Shiny had not always seemed to be entirely sane either.. The uncertainty of what to think is written clearly on the cleric's face.
    "..." With a grimace and a clenched fist, Natalia can't do anything but squeeze her eyes shut and look away.

"If it must be done, then it must be done. You were willing to carry out that duty before, but I may be the only one able to oppose Shiny if it comes to that."
    "No!" she spits out. "You...you cant, it won't..." Natalia frantically shakes her head, plays her spindly fingers in the air like she's picking through for the words. "You say must be done, but...won't be done. Can't...think that, like that, can't think worst always. Won't happen. There reason. Shiny said...always wished he hero, told himself hero. So...there reason." She grips the reins of Tinkerbell tighter. "And...when we see again, can't...can't see him thinking no saving. Need...try, talk, find reasons first."

As Natalia speaks, it slowly dawns on her that his spell is gone, the magic has finally run its course. She bites her lip and almost suppresses a choked hiccuping noise.

13. - Top - End - #13

"..." With a grimace and a clenched fist, Natalia can't do anything but squeeze her eyes shut and look away.

"No!" she spits out. "You...you cant, it won't..." Natalia frantically shakes her head, plays her spindly fingers in the air like she's picking through for the words. "You say must be done, but...won't be done. Can't...think that, like that, can't think worst always. Won't happen. There reason. Shiny said...always wished he hero, told himself hero. So...there reason." She grips the reins of Tinkerbell tighter. "And...when we see again, can't...can't see him thinking no saving. Need...try, talk, find reasons first."

As Natalia speaks, it slowly dawns on her that his spell is gone, the magic has finally run its course. She bites her lip and almost suppresses a choked hiccuping noise.
    "I said, if. Sometimes you can't save people from themselves. Sometimes the heroic thing is to realize that you are a danger."

Spoiler
    Show
    Do we get fresh spells btw?

14. - Top - End - #14

"I said, if. Sometimes you can't save people from themselves. Sometimes the heroic thing is to realize that you are a danger."

Spoiler
    Show
    Do we get fresh spells btw?
    Natalia relaxes, but only somewhat. "Maybe, but not first choice. Won't stop trying. Won't give up...on him, or...you."

Spoiler
    Show
    do we? And do we have a chance to get stuff?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-06-29 at 07:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

They ride in silence for some time, Natalia and presumably everyone else left to stew in their thoughts. They aren't pleasant. What shiny did and may have done, what Mithril did, what she did...she can't deny it anymore. Mithril has changed. She doesn't know where the old Mithril's gone or whether she can even be found again. Much less Natalia herself. Kurt's the only constant left (maybe Rhenner, but she only known him a few days though in some ways it feels like years). Kurt, steady, true, the best of them. She rides up to the dwarf and asks, "Kurt, can...we talk?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Just as Natalia is about to speak to Kurt, a low rumble fills the air, something distant and unfamiliar.

Spoiler
    Show

Not to interrupt

Spot and Listen checks everyone.

Current Map

17. - Top - End - #17

Adrenaline spikes through Natalia's mind, and she whips around in the direction of the rumbling, her blades out before she can really think about it.

Spoiler: Rolls and maneuvers
    Show
    spot: take 10 for 29 (wow).
    Listen: (d20+14)[28]

Maneuvers: cloak of deception
    Distracting sparks
    Wolf fang strike
    Sudden leap if I can Sudden leap off the horse the same as off the ground and island of blades if I can't.

EDIT: actually, does my horse count as an ally for flanking with island of blades?

Stance: I only have assassins stance so that one.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-07-04 at 10:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt turns to face her, not registering the low rumble as he looks at her from furrowed brows, chewing over his own thoughts in his usual stolid fashion, most of his attention seems to still be on that.

"What is it, Natalia?" He doesn't react to her drawing her blades, easy in his saddle still.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

19. - Top - End - #19

Kurt turns to face her, not registering the low rumble as he looks at her from furrowed brows, chewing over his own thoughts in his usual stolid fashion, most of his attention seems to still be on that.

"What is it, Natalia?" He doesn't react to her drawing her blades, easy in his saddle still.
    Natalia doesn't stay anything, instead staring intently in the direction of the rumbling. Her stance hardens slightly along with her gaze, and she seems ready to react at a moment's notice--aggressively if necessary, given the way she holds her blades.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Natalia is the first to realize the source of the rumbling comes from the air around them, which seems to be pulsating with the beat of distant wings. As she scans the skies behind them she sees it- a great reptilian beast sweeping along a long arc above the trees. She can see its eyes have already locked on to the party, and that it has started its descent.

Spoiler
    Show

Back to combat with a bang!

Due to good Spot and Listen checks, you get one pre-init round of actions, then we'll roll for initiative. Everyone recognizes that it is a red dragon and knows that it breathes fire (basically what a non-D+D player could figure out!), and anyone trained in it can make a Knowledge (Arcana) check.

Due to its a Frightful Presence everyone make a Will save, or you'll be shaken (-2 to most rolls) for (4d6)[12] rounds (I'll let you know if it passes the DC, I'm keeping meta info close to the vest for the moment, pending Knowledge checks).

Dragon is currently 700 feet away. You are on a 25 foot wide dirt road with moderately dense trees on each side. Tomorrow will post the map but it's simple.
    Last edited by Admiral; 2015-07-09 at 01:12 AM.

Current Map

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt follows Natalia's gaze to find the source of the sudden thrumming in his eardrums, his mouth convulsively tightening as he looks around quickly for cover. Unfortunately, the only cover nearby seems to be flammable...but that might still be better than none at all. He quickly turns his horse around and grabs up his bow, leading them towards the side of the woods.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[10] Will save.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Natalia freezes in place, staring up at the...the...the dragon. The ringing in her ears drowns out the roaring of the beast, and anyone looking at her can see her mouth puled back in a grimace and her eyes wide open in terror.

"RUN!!!!!" she screams, racing for the woods and taking cover behind any outcroppings of rocks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well then. This should be good!

Will save: (d20+5)[15]

Natalia also casts Cat's Grace on herself with the Arcanist Gloves

23. - Top - End - #23

Mithril stared in awe at the dragon, only snapping out of it at the sound of Natalia's voice. She pulled at Honey's reigns, trying to get the horse into the trees where the dragon would not see it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ride Check: (1d20+4)[24]

24. - Top - End - #24

Griffon

Rhenner also looks up alerted by the shout and for a moment he is stunned, having difficulty in believing in his own eyes. What in the... A dragon in Woodhelm! And a fire breathing one...

Without a second thought, he grabs the fireball necklace and stuffs it in his bag of holding. Then he directs his horse after the others to find cover in the forest.

Spoiler: Skill
    Show
    Ride if needed: (1d20+5)[7]
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-07-09 at 11:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

"WOODS! NOW! Spells together, then scatter!" Natalia screams as she races into the woods on her horse, then dives off and takes cover in the trees.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Natalia hides in the woods, then hops off her horse. Should she make a hide check now?

Also, are we still in our pre-initative actions?

26. - Top - End - #26

Griffon

Directing a nervous animal is tricky, Rhenner notices, especially when it has been so long he hardly remembers how to properly sit in a saddle. When they get to the forest the half-elf quickly slides, half falls, down to the ground; lucky for him the landing is good. "Best you run now", he says, presumably to the horse, "There's a big scary dragon, shoo!"

The cleric retrieves a holy script from his pocket. "...and whether the journey takes you towards or away from the place you started from, it does not matter, as your true home is the road...", he recites from it, activating a spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Recitation then. It's a buff spell, but I'm not sure I remember the specifics correctly, so I'll check once I get home.
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-07-14 at 03:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt pauses, seeing the trouble the horses have with the deep foliage and makes a snap judgement, leaping from his horse and pulling it in under the dense treecover, then giving it a quick push in the opposite direction - no need to get a horse involved where it can do no good. Only then does he notice the tremor in his own hand, pausing to look at it curiously as the feeling of nervousness suffuses his body. "So this is what seeing a dragon is like..."

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

As Natalia completes her spell and brings her hand back down, she uses it to push herself off Rust and roll to the ground. She springs to her feet, slapping the horse's flank to send It deeper into the woods where it won't be eaten. Kurt's comment, audible over Rhenner's chant, makes her turn around. Her whole body is shaking too. "Should be scared!" she shouts, frantic even as she reaches for her potions. "Long as journey...not end in dragon belly!"

29. - Top - End - #29

Mithril barely managed to get off of Honey without falling on her face. Like the others she sent the horse deeper into the woods, hoping the dragon would not follow them.

Spoiler
    Show
    With the time left she will cast Fly (Mass) on everyone within range and then Haste

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

As the party jumps off their horses and sends them into the forest, the dragon starts its descent.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:

Natalia: (1d20+10)[13]
    Rhenner: (1d20+4)[9]
    Mithril: (1d20+2)[19]
    Kurt: (1d20+2)[3]
    Enemy: (1d20)[5]

Everyone but Kurt goes, then the dragon.

I think everyone got off their horse and sent them away? I am unclear on how deep everyone went into the forest; for simplicity please place yourself at some point within 20 feet of the road. It is up to you whether you want to spread out or not, but if you do you might miss Haste/Fly
    Last edited by Admiral; 2015-07-17 at 03:48 PM.

Current Map