New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: IC IX: Turning the Tide

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Natalia follows Alder, looking around the whole while. She eventually speaks to ask questions, but she's a bit quieter at the moment. Especially considering how bad they're having it. "How much Horde fought? How...many giants?" Hoodsie teleported here...have they seen them? "Are we...first visitors?"

Spoiler: Question
    Show
    How long ago did Hoodsie teleport here?
    Mithril nodded at Alder and started following him, but quickly grabbed Natalia's arm and pulled her back. She whispered to her, trying to keep her voice low so that they were not heard. "Be careful. We are protected but Rhenner's mother? He goes after those in power, and she got a lot of it very fast."

2. - Top - End - #92

Griffon

"how many siblings?" Natalia asks, even as she responds to Rhenner's introduction with a wave to the crowd and a smile.
    "...Define sibling", Rhenner replies with a short smile, "Although even by the strictest calculation, more than I could count with one hand."

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
    Alder nods at each of the party members in greeting; though he shares Rhenner's sarcasm, he also appears to share his sense of manners.

"The wall's done well against the Horde parties that have attempted to raid us..." the half-elf muses. "Not quite as well against the fire giants, though we've managed. Against a dragon it would do nothing." His careless tone masks the dismay that very briefly flits across his face.

"Come, you should speak to the mayor." He gestures and starts walking towards the town hall. "She'll want to hear about this dragon... not to mention what her son has been up to all these years."
    You make it sound as if I'd never written. Rhenner thinks, though he doesn't dare to say it out loud. On their way towards the house, he tries to assemble his thoughts. It's true that he hadn't sent any word of himself in almost three years, not to mention that he hadn't actually been back here in... how long was it already? In any case, he felt totally unprepared for this suddenly reunion and a growing part in the back of his head was starting to wonder if he could just turn around and run away. He did still have Dimension Door... If the news about the horde and dragons hadn't been so serious, he might actually have done just that.

Some of Rhenner's discomfort is showing on his face, while he tries wipe the worst of the ash off himself and fixes the partially burned tunic with a quick Mending.
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-08-12 at 05:10 AM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Mithril nodded at Alder and started following him, but quickly grabbed Natalia's arm and pulled her back. She whispered to her, trying to keep her voice low so that they were not heard. "Be careful. We are protected but Rhenner's mother? He goes after those in power, and she got a lot of it very fast."
    Some part of Natalia wonders if mithril is being too paranoid, but the rest of her pauses. She might be right, and...oh. "We shielded but she not. If voice learns our link...though her, then...Mithril, I think we need help...woodhelm."

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    "...Define sibling", Rhenner replies with a short smile, "Although even by the strictest calculation, more than I could count with one hand."

You make it sound as if I'd never written. Rhenner thinks, though he doesn't dare to say it out loud. On their way towards the house, he tries to assemble his thoughts. It's true that he hadn't sent any word of himself in almost three years, not to mention that he hadn't actually been back here in... how long was it already? In any case, he felt totally unprepared for this suddenly reunion and a growing part in the back of his head was starting to wonder if he could just turn around and run away. He did still have Dimension Door... If the news about the horde and dragons hadn't been so serious, he might actually have done just that.

Some of Rhenner's discomfort is showing on his face, while he tries wipe the worst of the ash off himself and fixes the partially burned tunic with a quick Mending.
    That many siblings? Maybe it's because his mother is an elf, and so she has more children because she loves so much longer. But then again is it that strange? Many of the adults in her village had multiple children, even if not all of them survived. It was her household that was the abberation, that stopped at two.

It's probably because of her, Natalia realizes as she looks over at Rhenner's and his attempts to wipe himself off. It sounds like he hasn't been around in a while, and even though it's not her place a part of Natalia is curious as to why.

4. - Top - End - #94

Natalia turns to her friends and asks, "If flame giants, flame dragon here, then...horde stronger in days, or here important. Can't leave?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

The party is led into a wide tower at the edge of the fortress. It's not the building Rhenner recognizes as the city hall, but then, he supposed, much has changed since his childhood.

On the second floor of this military construction, the party enters a small, but well-ventilated room, overcome by the presence of a large queen bed in the center of one of the walls. In it lies a tall elf, slender except for her inflated stomach- she is very clearly pregnant, and not far from birth. Her face is clearly beautiful, though distinguished by wrinkles- the signs of an elf a bit past a century. She glances down at the party with a small smile that is immediately both welcoming and judgmental; an expression Rhenner is quite familiar with.

"Well, what a pleasant surprise," she says. It is part of her rare genius that it is impossible to tell whether she is sincere. Her many children had divided into three camps: one that followed her into pure sincerity, another that had descended into dark cynicism, and a third that had split the difference into a sort of sarcasm. Rhenner and Alder were of the third camp, and yet at no point had she offered a hint towards where her preference lay.

"To what do I owe this honor?"
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

6. - Top - End - #96

The party is led into a wide tower at the edge of the fortress. It's not the building Rhenner recognizes as the city hall, but then, he supposed, much has changed since his childhood.

On the second floor of this military construction, the party enters a small, but well-ventilated room, overcome by the presence of a large queen bed in the center of one of the walls. In it lies a tall elf, slender except for her inflated stomach- she is very clearly pregnant, and not far from birth. Her face is clearly beautiful, though distinguished by wrinkles- the signs of an elf a bit past a century. She glances down at the party with a small smile that is immediately both welcoming and judgmental; an expression Rhenner is quite familiar with.

"Well, what a pleasant surprise," she says. It is part of her rare genius that it is impossible to tell whether she is sincere. Her many children had divided into three camps: one that followed her into pure sincerity, another that had descended into dark cynicism, and a third that had split the difference into a sort of sarcasm. Rhenner and Alder were of the third camp, and yet at no point had she offered a hint towards where her preference lay.

"To what do I owe this honor?"
    Natalia eventually falls silent as they're led through the village-turned-fort. Occasionally she looks back at her healing friends, and her heart lifts at the sight of her friends' horrific burns slowly healing. She looks around at the construction--Rhenner seemed stunned and it seems like the walls just recently went up. How sturdy are they? But regardless of whether or not she gets an answer to this question, it's also chased from her mind by the sight of the pregnant elf in the bed--presumably Rhenner's mother.

She looks to be about her mother's age, or at least in a similar stage of life, but it's the elf's contradictory expression that gives Natalia pause. The rogue really isn't sure what to do, or say. She doesn't seem as outwardly threatening or taciturn as the mayor of Deldon, but he had hidden depths. And who knows what she's like. Hopefully Rhenner's presence will help.

And, in the back of her mind, a part of Natalia tries very hard not to wonder at her pregnancy.

So, wary of saying the wrong thing, Natalia licks her lips, points to herself, and says, "I'm...Natalia." She points to Rhenner. "Rhenner's honor."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hallelujah! I hope we can keep this up!

Oh, I think she'd be at least 200 years old to be middle aged and have wrinkles--elves start play at over 100 years old at minimum. And just how many children has she had?

Oh, just out of curiosity to see if Natalia can tell anything about this construction, knowledge (Architecture and engineering): (d20+5)[21]

7. - Top - End - #97

Griffon

Rhenner blinks when he first enters the room to see his mother, and throws a questioning look in Alder's direction, a hint of his usual sarcastic smile returned to his face. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised...", he mutters under his breath.

His expression changes little when he steps closer to greet the new mayor, though a trace of dread seems to have joined in. "Hello, Mother. I'm glad to see you are well", he says, in as neutral a tone as he can possibly manage.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Rhenner blinks when he first enters the room to see his mother, and throws a questioning look in Alder's direction, a hint of his usual sarcastic smile returned to his face. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised...", he mutters under his breath.

His expression changes little when he steps closer to greet the new mayor, though a trace of dread seems to have joined in. "Hello, Mother. I'm glad to see you are well", he says, in as neutral a tone as he can possibly manage.
    "I've never been better," Elynwena replies. "Or perhaps what I mean is that I've always been better. The Common tongue always did puzzle me."

"As you can see, your fourteenth younger sibling is on the way," she adds with a coy smile. "The cleric in Erawood thinks it will be a boy, which is useful. One must always keep an eye on your inventory of sons- they have the habit of disappearing, like treats from a jar." If there is malice in her tone, it is deeply concealed.

"But where are my manners?" she asks, as though it weren't a rhetorical question and she expected someone to fetch her manners out from underneath the bed. "I am Elynwena Calami, mayor of the village of Elahona. And where, dear Rhenner, might your own manners be?" She gestures towards the rest of the party.

Spoiler
    Show

Meta note: it's not a mistake that her name is Calami, ask Rhenner

Current Map

9. - Top - End - #99

Griffon

"Floating around the eastern forests at this time of year", Rhenner replies. He has been listening to his mother's greeting with a sort of resigned expression, though it wasn't as bad as it could have been. At least she hadn't pretended that she'd forgotten who he was, he had thought that very likely. "But I'll make do. Mother, meet Mithril, Natalia and Kurt, they have come from very far away. Please excuse our shabby appearance, we barely escaped from being burned alive. By a dragon."

In another language he says, [Elven]"Congratulations on increasing the family once again, Mother, but I have to ask", he looks hesitant, "I'm sure you meant it is the fourteenth child of yours, not fourteenth younger sibling counting from me..."[/Elven]
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-08-21 at 12:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100

"Floating around the eastern forests at this time of year", Rhenner replies. He has been listening to his mother's greeting with a sort of resigned expression, though it wasn't as bad as it could have been. At least she hadn't pretended that she'd forgotten who he was, he had thought that very likely. "But I'll make do. Mother, meet Mithril, Natalia and Kurt, they have come from very far away. Please excuse our shabby appearance, we barely escaped from being burned alive. By a dragon."

In another language he says, [Elven]"Congratulations on increasing the family once again, Mother, but I have to ask", he looks hesitant, "I'm sure you meant it is the fourteenth child of yours, not fourteenth younger sibling counting from me..."[/Elven]
    Mithril wasn't really paying attention as Rhenner spoke. Instead she was trying to size up his mother, see whether she could be trusted. She snapped out of her skepticism as Rhenner switched to elven. Had his mother really said younger? Mithril had plenty of younger siblings, but that was the curse of being oldest. From what she knew of Rhenner there were siblings on both sides in terms of age. She couldn't keep the shock off her face.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt nods politely when introduced, masking his shock at the mention of 14 children, wondering about the logistics of it straight away as if they were all born at once - feeding time for 14 little Kurts could have devoured the output of an entire kingdom each day, easily. When his ears detect his own name being mentioned he gives a polite nod of his head to acknowledge it, not even noticing the switch into elven as he tries to figure out the mammoth task required to keep them in board. "Couldn't be done..." he mutters quietly to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

12. - Top - End - #102

The tension between Rhenner and his mother doesn't escape Natalia, but she doesn't acknowledge it at the moment--it doesn't seem like a good time. Besides, there's something more immediately shocking. Natalia mentally stumbles over Mrs. Calami's mention of fourteen children but manages to right herself in time to acknowledge Rhenner's introduction of her with a smile and a nod. But it's Rhenner's followup question in Elven that--figuratively at least--knocks Natalia on her back. Fourteen younger? There's more children? How? Why? Natalia looks over at Mithril and Kurt in turn and some part of her is slightly satisfied at the validation from seeing her shock mirrored on their faces.

Her family was unusually small--just her and her brother and her parents, and Natalia had heard enough quiet sobbing conversations in her parents' bedroom to know that it was her fault, even if she never meant a single thing--but fourteen? Physically yes maybe that could happen as disgusting as it is for Natalia to think about but what about after? How could you raise so many children? And why would you raise so many children?

All this is internal, and all that is visible is the look of hastily-concealed shock on Natalia's face.

13. - Top - End - #103

Griffon

A small smirk creeps to Rhenner's face when he sees the other's shocked expressions. "I think you broke my companions, Mother. Or at least their ability to speak."
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-08-21 at 09:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

The elf's eyes widen slightly and she begins scratching her chin thoughtfully as Rhenner mentions the dragon.

"Ah, has it really been so long since you've been back here?" Elynwena asks, with surprise that could easily be either feigned or genuine. She makes no acknowledgment of Rhenner's attempt to steer the conversation to Elven- perhaps out of consideration towards his friends, perhaps to intentionally embarrass her son in front of them. "Why yes... I suppose you haven't met Cardiff, Senton, and Sool: half elves, 15, 20, and 31. When the Crusaders took the village of Rondon, your father and I adopted them from the refugees. And your youngest sister arrived last winter." Rhenner figures she likely means his stepfather and stepsister (his own father had died years earlier), but in his whole life Rhenner had never once heard her use that prefix.

She sighs slowly. "Just where are you coming from... that you ran into that kind of dragon?"
    Last edited by Admiral; 2015-08-21 at 10:45 AM.

Current Map

15. - Top - End - #105

The elf's eyes widen slightly and she begins scratching her chin thoughtfully as Rhenner mentions the dragon.

"Ah, has it really been so long since you've been back here?" Elynwena asks, with surprise that could easily be either feigned or genuine. She makes no acknowledgment of Rhenner's attempt to steer the conversation to Elven- perhaps out of consideration towards his friends, perhaps to intentionally embarrass her son in front of them. "Why yes... I suppose you haven't met Cardiff, Senton, and Sool: half elves, 15, 20, and 31. When the Crusaders took the village of Rondon, your father and I adopted them from the refugees. And your youngest sister arrived last winter." Rhenner figures she likely means his stepfather and stepsister (his own father had died years earlier), but in his whole life Rhenner had never once heard her use that prefix.
    Although Natalia is still in utter disbelief over the sheer number of children Rhenner's mother has (another girl? Just last winter?), her whole countenance softens at the mention of the refugees. It's like a hot punch just below the dip of her chest, the sudden reminder of the Crusaders and all the evil they've done too. And Rhenner's mother has done so much more to help, just by saving those three, than she's ever done.

In fact, they've probably made that worse.

"Where Rondon?" Natalia asks in a more subdued voice. "what happened? How...they doing?"

She sighs slowly. "Just where are you coming from... that you ran into that kind of dragon?"
    Natalia shakes her head in utter confusion. "It...flew to us. It..." she trails off into silence as those horrible few moments run through her mind again. But this time there's another realization. She didn't dodge the dragons fire. It didn't see her.

16. - Top - End - #106

Griffon

"And by father you mean...?", Rhenner leaves the sentence open and rubs his forehead, "I see a lot has happened in the last few years. But...", he has to stop to count, "No, that still makes only ten younger ones. Unless you count the elves as younger, which I suppose they could be in some sense, though not in years. Wait, it doesn't make sense that-" He stops his mumbling and looks up at his mother. "You're just messing with me on purpose, aren't you?" His tone is mildly accusing and he looks suddenly much younger with his sulky expression.

"Right, the dragon", Rhenner forces his voice back into more serious, the memory of the dragonfire is perhaps not surprisingly quite helpful with that. "I'm afraid it was here in Woodhelm." [insert more detailed description of the place and its relative location to this town]
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-08-21 at 12:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Mithril muttered under her breath. "And I thought my family was large." Finally regaining control of her expression she nodded, slightly surprised at how young Rhenner seemed now he was faced with his mother.

"Speaking of the dragon, our horses are still in those woods. I don't know where 'here' is but if they are seen, I would at least like mine returned."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

The sound of grinding teeth comes from Kurt when the Crusader's are mentioned, his eyes staring straight ahead not quite meeting the gaze of anyone else. Thankfully, Mithril brings matters back to a more practical and immediate nature, freeing him of the need to keep thinking about it. "Aye, Mithril speaks for me too. I hadn't planned on abandoning the creature out there but things took a turn..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

19. - Top - End - #109

"My horse gone too, rescued Rust once...would like twice," Natalia says. She describes the area where they encountered the dragon as best she can in her tangled speech.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

"And by father you mean...?", Rhenner leaves the sentence open and rubs his forehead, "I see a lot has happened in the last few years. But...", he has to stop to count, "No, that still makes only ten younger ones. Unless you count the elves as younger, which I suppose they could be in some sense, though not in years. Wait, it doesn't make sense that-" He stops his mumbling and looks up at his mother. "You're just messing with me on purpose, aren't you?" His tone is mildly accusing and he looks suddenly much younger with his sulky expression.
    Elynwena raises her eyebrows. "You count ten? Have you really been away that many years, that you haven't heard about- no, that couldn't be. You must have just misremembered." She moves on immediately, and Rhenner still cannot tell if she is merely mocking him.

"Right, the dragon", Rhenner forces his voice back into more serious, the memory of the dragonfire is perhaps not surprisingly quite helpful with that. "I'm afraid it was here in Woodhelm." [insert more detailed description of the place and its relative location to this town]
    "Speaking of the dragon, our horses are still in those woods. I don't know where 'here' is but if they are seen, I would at least like mine returned."
    "That's nearly twenty miles away..." she replies thoughtfully. "Far enough your horses will be difficult to retrieve. But still not nearly far enough from the dragon for my comfort." Her expression is more resigned and disappointed then distressed. "This wall has been the only thing standing between us and the orc and giant raiding parties. A red dragon would bring it down without trouble."

She continues thinking. Rhenner had never known his mother to panic; she was a problem-solver by nature. When Rhenner's father got sick in his old age, she'd hired an experienced cleric from the Church to care for him full time; when the fees grew too high, she'd raised a small fortune in favors and blackmail from her Firm contacts to pay for it. And yet when he passed on she'd buried him without a single tear, and a year later was remarried.

"Your sister Anjar's husband has already arranged for a shipment of military supplies, which should be arriving tomorrow," she states casually. Rhenner knows that Anjar's husband is a broker for the Syndicate, meaning the supplies are undoubtedly stolen goods. As a member of the Firm Elynwena would face nearly a decade in prison, were she caught making such a purchase. "Among them are some potions and weapons we'd intended to use against the fire giants. They'll be of some use against a dragon, I suppose." She seems distinctly unsatisfied with her chances.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone is welcome to Sense Motive.

Current Map

21. - Top - End - #111

Elynwena raises her eyebrows. "You count ten? Have you really been away that many years, that you haven't heard about- no, that couldn't be. You must have just misremembered." She moves on immediately, and Rhenner still cannot tell if she is merely mocking him.
    Neither can Natalia, which is why she just stares in bemusement. Still, she places her weight against Rhenner, her presence a reminder to the half-elf that she's there. It may not be her place, but she'll still support him.

"That's nearly twenty miles away..." she replies thoughtfully. "Far enough your horses will be difficult to retrieve. But still not nearly far enough from the dragon for my comfort." Her expression is more resigned and disappointed then distressed. "This wall has been the only thing standing between us and the orc and giant raiding parties. A red dragon would bring it down without trouble."
    Twenty miles...that's far, and yet not nearly far enough. How far can a dragon fly in a day? Probably faster than a horse can run, and a dragon wouldn't have to worry about the trees. And yet still too far for a horse to run and for them to find, unless... Mithril, can you scry...Honey, Rust, rest?"

She continues thinking. Rhenner had never known his mother to panic; she was a problem-solver by nature. When Rhenner's father got sick in his old age, she'd hired an experienced cleric from the Church to care for him full time; when the fees grew too high, she'd raised a small fortune in favors and blackmail from her Firm contacts to pay for it. And yet when he passed on she'd buried him without a single tear, and a year later was remarried.

"Your sister Anjar's husband has already arranged for a shipment of military supplies, which should be arriving tomorrow," she states casually. Rhenner knows that Anjar's husband is a broker for the Syndicate, meaning the supplies are undoubtedly stolen goods. As a member of the Firm Elynwena would face nearly a decade in prison, were she caught making such a purchase. "Among them are some potions and weapons we'd intended to use against the fire giants. They'll be of some use against a dragon, I suppose." She seems distinctly unsatisfied with her chances.
    Natalia doesn't now anything about Anjar, but tomorrow? If the dragon shows up, they might be able to help. And she seems to know so many people...then again, she's several hundred years old at least. "What...potions, weapons? Because...saw dragon's flame, claws." She pauses, the pieces of the preparation falling into her mind like with portions of a trap, and she's off. "Would need flame protection, stoneskin..." what was it Shiny used, not the invisibility spell, from what Mithril said she's the outlier for escaping the dragon's notice, and...ah, that was it! "Displacement, shielding from evil...Mithril, what else you know of dragons?"

If the dragon is so close, then they can't leave Rhenner's family and village. At least, it just...she looks at Elynwena.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Sense motive
    Show
    (d20+6)[25]

Woo-hoo! I wasn't too annoying, was I?

I start vet school tomorrow!
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-08-24 at 09:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Spoiler
    Show
    Mithril nodded. "That is fair, I was unsure of the distance traveled." Mithril was impressed, this woman seemed to have connections everywhere, even if Rhenner seemed more on edge than usual. At Natalia's question Mithril shook her head. "Not til tomorrow unfortunately."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[7]

23. - Top - End - #113

Griffon

Rhenner sighs mentally, and doesn't try to ask more questions of the subject. When mother was like this, it was better to leave it be. Especially since it was impossible to get that friendly smile to admit she was being difficult on purpose. Somethings never changed, did they?

He rubbed his forehead again. It's not like she was exactly wrong with what she was implying either.

Twenty miles...that's far, and yet not nearly far enough. How far can a dragon fly in a day? Probably faster than a horse can run, and a dragon wouldn't have to worry about the trees. And yet still too far for a horse to run and for them to find, unless... Mithril, can you scry...Honey, Rust, rest?"
    Mithril nodded. "That is fair, I was unsure of the distance traveled." Mithril was impressed, this woman seemed to have connections everywhere, even if Rhenner seemed more on edge than usual. At Natalia's question Mithril shook her head. "Not til tomorrow unfortunately."
    Rhenner lifts his gaze from the floorboards he's been studying. "Not to say it wouldn't be good to have them back. But shouldn't we also think about locating the dragon? Assuming the attack was not specifically against us, then whether the dragon is in league with the hoard or not, it had no issue in attacking travellers on the road, unprovoked. What if it chooses a settlement as its next target? This one, or some other?"

"Good to hear that you've found him an useful addition to the family", Rhenner replies dryly. He doesn't voice the dangers involved that come to his mind. Mother was certainly well aware of the risks, and being warned by a long absent son would only give her another reason to throw thorny comments at him. Neither does he then inquire after Anjar, even if he would have liked to, as that would probably also get him more snide remarks.

Natalia doesn't now anything about Anjar, but tomorrow? If the dragon shows up, they might be able to help. And she seems to know so many people...then again, she's several hundred years old at least. "What...potions, weapons? Because...saw dragon's flame, claws." She pauses, the pieces of the preparation falling into her mind like with portions of a trap, and she's off. "Would need flame protection, stoneskin..." what was it Shiny used, not the invisibility spell, from what Mithril said she's the outlier for escaping the dragon's notice, and...ah, that was it! "Displacement, shielding from evil...Mithril, what else you know of dragons?"

If the dragon is so close, then they can't leave Rhenner's family and village. At least, it just...she looks at Elynwena.
    "I can cast spells to grant temporary immunity to fire", Rhenner points out, then turns back to Elynwena, "Mother, what of these fire giants? And orcs? Do you know if they've set camp nearby, or are they more moving raiders?"

24. - Top - End - #114

"Oh. Can...check tomorrow?" If the horses are even alive tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: [roll0]
    [/QUOTE]

Rhenner lifts his gaze from the floorboards he's been studying. "Not to say it wouldn't be good to have them back. But shouldn't we also think about locating the dragon? Assuming the attack was not specifically against us, then whether the dragon is in league with the hoard or not, it had no issue in attacking travellers on the road, unprovoked. What if it chooses a settlement as its next target? This one, or some other?"
    That's what she's worried about too. "Rhenner, said no fire dragons here...right? If fire giants attack, maybe...fire dragon come from same place. And...this only settlement? Why burn here?" Unless...this can't be because of Rhenner, can it?! No...no, that can't be it, Natalia thinks rapidly as she fights the rising paranoia--Mithril's rubbed off on her in this way too, it seems. The horde has been attacking longer than Rhenner has been traveling with them, and he wasn't involved before, was he?

"I can cast spells to grant temporary immunity to fire", Rhenner points out, then turns back to Elynwena, "Mother, what of these fire giants? And orcs? Do you know if they've set camp nearby, or are they more moving raiders?"
    "I can stoneskin if a scroll. Mithril, can you...displacement? Invisible?" She's not sure quite why she says it, but somehow Natalia knows it to be true.

She still doesn't say anything about his family despite her increasing curiosity. It's not her place.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt looks up curiously, bumped from his own thoughts by the discussion of tactics. "Can ya tell us more about the forces outside the wall? Fire giants and orcs, but how many and where?" Finally, something to sink his teeth into and really get involved with.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Kurt looks up curiously, bumped from his own thoughts by the discussion of tactics. "Can ya tell us more about the forces outside the wall? Fire giants and orcs, but how many and where?" Finally, something to sink his teeth into and really get involved with.
    "The orcs have been making raids into this for the last six months," Rhenner's mother replies. "Four months ago a raid killed Ellsworth," she adds, referring to the elven mayor who'd preceded her, "and that's when I made the decision to build the wall. Alder, Lander and Neeson led the construction- it wasn't easy or cheap, but it was just in time." The party had already met Rhenner's older brother Alder. Lander is one of Rhenner's older elven stepbrothers, and Neeson is his half-elven husband.

"The raids grew in force two months ago. Used to be eight to ten orcs at a time; now it was a dozen, fifteen, twenty: sometimes a chieftain among them. Once a week at least. Usually we were able to hold them off with arrows and repair the damage to the wall afterwards- they weren't after us specifically, just rampaging through the forest, so when we put up resistance they usually left. They burned down the cottages, though." Elynwena was referring to the small houses in the woods not far from the village center, where they had grown up. "Three weeks ago the attacks from the fire giants started- one breached the wall once, but the guards brought him down. He killed your older brother Martine, though," she adds informatively. "I took in his three children afterwards, of course."

Spoiler
    Show

Rhenner is welcome to share the non-dialogue exposition himself, the others don't know it yet. Martine is his second oldest brother, not counting step-siblings.

Spoiler: Natalia only
    Show

Already unsure what to think of Elynwena, and not as intimidated as Rhenner, Natalia is a bit more perceptive of the Elven woman. Though she doesn't think Elynwena bears any guilt in the attacks, Natalia feels like she might know more than she's letting on about what the orcs, giants and dragon are after.

Current Map

27. - Top - End - #117

"The orcs have been making raids into this for the last six months," Rhenner's mother replies. "Four months ago a raid killed Ellsworth," she adds, referring to the elven mayor who'd preceded her, "and that's when I made the decision to build the wall. Alder, Lander and Neeson led the construction- it wasn't easy or cheap, but it was just in time." The party had already met Rhenner's older brother Alder. Lander is one of Rhenner's older elven stepbrothers, and Neeson is his half-elven husband.

"The raids grew in force two months ago. Used to be eight to ten orcs at a time; now it was a dozen, fifteen, twenty: sometimes a chieftain among them. Once a week at least. Usually we were able to hold them off with arrows and repair the damage to the wall afterwards- they weren't after us specifically, just rampaging through the forest, so when we put up resistance they usually left. They burned down the cottages, though." Elynwena was referring to the small houses in the woods not far from the village center, where they had grown up. "Three weeks ago the attacks from the fire giants started- one breached the wall once, but the guards brought him down. He killed your older brother Martine, though," she adds informatively. "I took in his three children afterwards, of course."
    every word increases the horror. It's been getting worse and worse, at the same time that the horde has been escalating everywhere else too. Rampaging and destruction, just like everywhere else but every time Woodhelm put up a fight they came back with more, and stronger, all the way up to Giants. Why?

Her train of thought is temporarily interrupted by the casual way Elynwena tells Rhenner her bother was killed by fire Giants. Natalia gasps, a soft inhalation of breath, and puts her arm tighter around Rhenner.

"I...so sorry," she says to them both, but especially Rhenner who has just learned.

Spoiler: Natalia only
    Show

Already unsure what to think of Elynwena, and not as intimidated as Rhenner, Natalia is a bit more perceptive of the Elven woman. Though she doesn't think Elynwena bears any guilt in the attacks, Natalia feels like she might know more than she's letting on about what the orcs, giants and dragon are after.
    [/QUOTE]
    But still, the horde is coming back stronger every time, and this time they might have brought a dragon along. This can't be random destruction. There's something--or someone--else that they're after. Her eyebrows narrow slightly, possibly in determination.

"We'll help," Natalia says with sudden force and conviction. She turns back to each of her friends in turn, as if daring them to object. But she also signals Rhenner's mother with a quick sideways glance, and when her gaze levels upon Mithril she also flicks her eyes upwards. It's not an eye roll but, if Mithril can understand, a silent request to gaze upon her mind.

28. - Top - End - #118

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Got some unpleasant fever atm, (38 C /100 F), so if this post turns out groggy, I'll blame that.

"Older brother", Rhenner explains briefly after her mother mentions the names, to help with the already nigh impossible task of keeping track of their family tree, "and his husband."

Rhenner just stares back at his mother with a blank expression. "Martine...". He seems to have trouble comprehending the information. When Alder had not told him of any losses within the family outside, he had begun to hope, no believe, that there were none. He shifts his gaze to study the wall for a time, until the other words register. "You took in... What of his wife?"

29. - Top - End - #119

eek Re: IC IX: Turning the Tide

Spoiler
    Show
    Got some unpleasant fever atm, (38 C /100 F), so if this post turns out groggy, I'll blame that.

"Older brother", Rhenner explains briefly after her mother mentions the names, to help with the already nigh impossible task of keeping track of their family tree, "and his husband."
    Older brother, and his husband. It takes Natalia far longer than it should for this to connect in her mind, but when it does she trips over it. The surprise temporarily interrupting her horror at Elynwena's take is clear, and almost unconsciously she raises a hand to her chest. He and his husband. It's hard to put that into words. But it's like...she matters. Or would. To them, to someone. In this way.

Rhenner just stares back at his mother with a blank expression. "Martine...". He seems to have trouble comprehending the information. When Alder had not told him of any losses within the family outside, he had begun to hope, no believe, that there were none. He shifts his gaze to study the wall for a time, until the other words register. "You took in... What of his wife?"
    Natalia leans against Rhenner, there for him, but it still doesn't feel like enough. What else should she do? What else could she do?

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess both these posts for Natalia happen together. And that sucks--get better, cwater!
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-08-26 at 06:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt nods solemnly at that, glancing at Rhennar to see how he's taking it but saying nothing when the half-elf chooses to stare at nothing, a troubled frown passing over his face briefly. "Do you know where the orcs come from? Is it always the same side they assault?" Chewing his beard a bit as he frowns at the ground as if searching for answers there. "Do you know where they go, if they're just passing you by?"

Spoiler
    Show