New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Curse of the Crimson Throne [PF1]

Seeing a request and finding myself in possession of the books, and also having never run it to the end, I figured I could give it a shot.

Character creation rules:
    -Point-buy 20.
    -Common and featured races are all allowed. More exotic races under 15 RP can be considered upon request
    Spoiler: Notes on races
    Show
    Races that have listed RP of 8 or fewer can take a bonus Racial Feat (as opposed to the Racial Bonus Feat granted by humans) or Skill Focus, or a Feat that requires being taken at level 1.
    Human ethnicities play a role in this campaign, so any human or half-human (non-outsider) should list their human ethnicity. I'll expand a bit below.
    *Chelaxian - The original settlers of Korvosa are of Chelaxian descent. By far the most common in Korvosa. Commonly have fair skin, and dark hair and eyes
    *Varisian - The locals of Varisia, the area where Korvosa is located, make up the largest minority in the city. Commonly have olive or tan skin and lithe frames, with great variety in eye and hair colors
    *Shoanti - The other minority in the region, largely nomadic, with a history of war with Korvosans that paints interactions between them.
    *Others, such as Taldan, Tian, Kele****e, Kellid, Ulfen, Garundi and more fantasy counterpart cultures can be found in the wiki

-For classes, first party classes are all on the table. Unchained classes are preferred over their older counterparts.
    -Two traits, one of which should be a campaign trait. A third trait can be taken in exchange for a drawback.
    -Feat Taxes:
    *Weapon Finesse is given for free. Classes that grant Weapon Finesse as a bonus Feat or grant it's benefits instead grant Weapon Focus.
    *Weapon Focus and other Feats that apply to all weapons in a Fighter Weapon Group rather than a single weapon.
    *Improved Maneuver Feats automatically grant their Greater version when other prerequisites are met.
    *Two-Weapon Fighting also grants Improved and Greater versions as the character meets prerequisites.
    *Point-Blank Shot and Precise Shot are merged into a single Feat.
    *Dodge and Mobility are merged into a single Feat
    *Combat Expertise, Deadly Aim and Power Attack are merged into a single Feat, requiring the character to meet any of the prerequisites.
    (I'm going this route to make rebuilding NPC's a bit easier than Elephant in the Room, but I can use that if it's preferred.)
    -Background skills are in use.
    -Wealth can be average or you can roll (roll sticks)
    -Hp is full at first level, and high average thereafter (d10 becomes 6)
    -Backstory and description don't need to be long, but preference is given to characters that have them.
    -No alternate rules systems (Path of War, Psionics, Spheres in their various incarnations...)

I will be looking for 4-5 players, and potential alternates to account for attrition.
    Also, I'd like to keep the game rolling with posts every 1-3 days. Even saying 'move along' should be fine.
    I'll likely make a discord server once the selections are done. If the selected players want the whole game can jump there, but I like the formatting options of the forum.
    I'm probably forgetting some stuff, let me know.

(On the subject of forum, I can't seem to make links and it's very slow, which may be related)
    Last edited by Kallimakus; Yesterday at 11:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Curse of the Crimson Throne [PF1]

I would love to play

Currently, I'm considering two character concepts. Ones is a bit DM reliant, as thier main tool is deception, namely an ability to make a spell appear as a different spell. Another one would be focused on a shield bash, with some combat maneuvers whenever she hit.

Regardless of the mechanical side, I would like to lean on punk culture and give them a general vibe going against authority and social norms. The spell caster would superficial be well suited for that as she could use prestidigitation for tagging.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

How do you feel about multiclassing?
    Also, I can’t use Discord, is that a problem?
    Last edited by ProgressPaladin; 2024-05-06 at 05:19 PM.
    For every battle lost, there is a battle won.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Might give this a shot, myself. The premise sounds interesting, and there are a lot of PF classes I haven’t tried, like Ninja.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2024-05-06 at 05:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Throwing my hat into the ring.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well isn't this convenient. I'm in. Do you have anything against a Brawler War Dancer?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    I would love to play

Currently, I'm considering two character concepts. Ones is a bit DM reliant, as thier main tool is deception, namely an ability to make a spell appear as a different spell. Another one would be focused on a shield bash, with some combat maneuvers whenever she hit.

Regardless of the mechanical side, I would like to lean on punk culture and give them a general vibe going against authority and social norms. The spell caster would superficial be well suited for that as she could use prestidigitation for tagging.
    There are rules (Feats and class features) for the kind of deceptive spellcasting.
    A punk aesthetic of sorts is among stranger ideas, but not out of the question by any means. I think there is at least Trifler trait that gets you access to prestidigitation (3/day rather than at will though)

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressPaladin View Post
    How do you feel about multiclassing?
    Also, I can’t use Discord, is that a problem?
    Multiclassing is fine, normal rules are in use.
    In other games I run, I've used Discord as an OOC chat, and share map and keep notes (Using an OOC thread here isn't out of the question though)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foolery View Post
    Well isn't this convenient. I'm in. Do you have anything against a Brawler War Dancer?
    A clear and total coincidence, naturally. I found an archetype listed as Battle Dancer in the archives of Nethys. It appears fine to me.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kallimakus View Post
    A clear and total coincidence, naturally. I found an archetype listed as Battle Dancer in the archives of Nethys. It appears fine to me.
    Yep that's the one. Thanks for taking up this request. This AP has been a bit of a white whale for me. My two Ideas are a street kid who's grown up and be come an up and comer bare fist prize fighter. The other is a Robin Hood like gentlewoman thief out to put down Lamb, (that is the right name, right)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I already have the mechanical side thought for the mage. Speficically Rakshasas Bloodline that is the core of disguising magic. Then there is Magic Trick (prestigitatsion) that allows the tagging with spefic images, increases spellcraft DC, and add even more coltrol over spells apirance, finally magic fair trait for +2 spellcraft DC in spefic shool and some more ways for observes to fail spellcraft.

Still and silent, meta-magic I will probably leave to rods, for the rare cases I want to spell to happen without showing casting

Optionally using Conseal Spell, since it sometimes replace sill and silent spell, but it might not be universally usable

Finally, I might grab false focus and holy symbol tattoo, but odds are eschew materials still be more than enough in that department

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Would a Tiefling Unchained Rogue be okay?

I'm thinking she'll be someone smart and calculating, seeking to use the chaos to climb the ladder, as it were, and doing a favour for the Queen will be a big rung on that ladder.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foolery View Post
    Yep that's the one. Thanks for taking up this request. This AP has been a bit of a white whale for me. My two Ideas are a street kid who's grown up and be come an up and comer bare fist prize fighter. The other is a Robin Hood like gentlewoman thief out to put down Lamb, (that is the right name, right)
    Lamm, but otherwise right. Either one works.

I already have the mechanical side thought for the mage. Speficically Rakshasas Bloodline that is the core of disguising magic. Then there is Magic Trick (prestigitatsion) that allows the tagging with spefic images, increases spellcraft DC, and add even more coltrol over spells apirance, finally magic fair trait for +2 spellcraft DC in spefic shool and some more ways for observes to fail spellcraft.

Still and silent, meta-magic I will probably leave to rods, for the rare cases I want to spell to happen without showing casting

Optionally using Conseal Spell, since it sometimes replace sill and silent spell, but it might not be universally usable

Finally, I might grab false focus and holy symbol tattoo, but odds are eschew materials still be more than enough in that department
    That all sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    Would a Tiefling Unchained Rogue be okay?

I'm thinking she'll be someone smart and calculating, seeking to use the chaos to climb the ladder, as it were, and doing a favour for the Queen will be a big rung on that ladder.
    Tiefling unchained rogue is fine.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Tiefling unchained rogue is fine.
    Sweet. I'm nearly done.

Looking at the campaign traits, I'm leaning towards the Addict one. I'm thinking due to her unique physiology, being a Tiefling an' all, she was convinced to test out a drug that would help others sleep. They would have tested all sorts of doses on her but it wasn't until she herself started to feel the effects of addiction that she realised what was going on, so now she's going to take the crime lord down and burn his drug lab to the ground.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I have two character concepts I’m weighing. They’re both Vigilantes, but I wanted to reflavor the Dual Identities as they are running from their old life, and assuming a new identity, rather than assuming two identities at different times. Would that be ok?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressPaladin View Post
    I have two character concepts I’m weighing. They’re both Vigilantes, but I wanted to reflavor the Dual Identities as they are running from their old life, and assuming a new identity, rather than assuming two identities at different times. Would that be ok?
    It seems fine to me. It's not like you
    A) Can't use your Social abilities in your Vigilante guise
    B) Get great penalties for folks knowing your identities. (Other than social ones of your life following you.

That said, there might be an opportunity to assume a second identity during the course of the campaign should you choose.
    Equally, if your character is trying to run away from past life, the Dual Identity could be framed such that people related to that past would be on the lookout for social cues of the Vigilante, rather than Vigilante cues in the ordinary guise.
    "Say, that gruff mercenary speaks with the cadence of a poet."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

While we’re talking about Campaign Traits, are they open to…refluffing (for lack of a better word)? I was thinking of taking Love Lost to represent someone who was an apprentice to the same swordmaster as my PC. There is actually no love lost between them, my character believes Lamm sent him down the dark path he took to his death. He deserved better, or at least the chance to be better.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2024-05-07 at 12:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I am going with a suspended Korvosan guard for flavor. Mechanics is done. Doing fluff atm. Here is his sheet.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    While we’re talking about Campaign Traits, are they open to…refluffing (for lack of a better word)? I was thinking of taking Love Lost to represent someone who was an apprentice to the same swordmaster as my PC. There is actually no love lost between them, my character believes Lamm sent him down the dark path he took to his death. He deserved better, or at least the chance to be better.
    So rather than lover it would have been a rival type knifed? One that perhaps abandoned the path of the blade to become just another small-time thug, ultimately dead at an alley? I think that could work. It might motivate your character to be better than the other student, or their teacher set them to learn more. And get to the bottom of how he died.
    The meta point of the campaign traits is to put the PC's on a warpath at Lamm. So long as that happens, I don't mind some details being changed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seeing a lack of healers. I’m thinking a Desnan Oracle.
    Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 2024-05-07 at 03:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

Now do I risk rolling for gold to get my chain shirt or do I settle for studded leather for now and grab a chain shirt first chance I get? Anyway here's Lily's sheet.

And here's her Background
    Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Lily Rush was born and raised on the unforgiving streets of Korvosa, along with her younger sister Rose. After losing their parents at a tender age, it was Lily who took upon herself to protect and provide for the two of them. Growing up fast and hard under harsh conditions, Lily developed a tough exterior, hiding her soft heart beneath layers of sarcasm, rudeness, and impatience. Those fortunate enough to break through this rough façade found her to possess a sharp wit, genuine care towards others, and fierce loyalty to her friends. There was no question about it; Lily Rush was as far from a delicate lady as one could imagine – she was a true tomboy.

Life had not been kind to the sisters, yet they managed to survive against all odds. While Lily honed her fists into deadly weapons, defending them from danger lurking around every corner, Rose displayed extraordinary talent in singing and painting. Recognizing her gift, the Temple of Shelyn offered her shelter and a chance to learn music and artistry within its sacred walls. Although torn between staying together and providing a better future for her sister, Lily eventually accepted the offer, knowing that life inside the temple would give Rose opportunities she never could. With a heavy heart, Lily watched her little sister walk away, praying that someday they might reunite.

As time passed, Lily fell in with a retired mercenary named Aldous Stonehand, an Orc from Mwangi, whose battle scars bore testament to his storied past. Sensing potential in the fiery street urchin, Aldous decided to take Lily under his wing, teaching her various combat styles. Under his tutelage, she blossomed into a formidable fighter, specializing in brutal bare-knuckle boxing matches. To make ends meet, Lily resorted to participating in underground fights, quickly earning a reputation as an up-and-coming force in Korvosa's seedy underbelly. Her combative prowess did more than just pay the bills; it brought her attention from unexpected corners, including the occasional admiration of highborn men like William Highcastle, the charming (if somewhat roguish) illegitimate son of a local noble family. Their tumultuous romantic escapades became something of a legend among Korvosan society, though neither ever truly committed to each other.

Just when things seemed to settle down for Lily, she received shattering news: Rose had vanished without a trace from the Temple of Shelyn. Panicked, Lily sought answers, learning that a gang of child thieves calling themselves "Lamm's Lambs" may have played a part in her disappearance. Desperate to save her sister from whatever fate befell her, Lily set out on a dangerous journey to track down these mysterious children. Armed with nothing but her quick mind, fearsome fists, and steadfast determination, Lily vowed to bring Rose home safely - no matter the cost.
    Last edited by Tom Foolery; 2024-05-07 at 10:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Vincent Foundling is finished and ready for review. Unlucky street rat turned unlicensed doctor for the poor and destitute of the slums.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So rather than lover it would have been a rival type knifed? One that perhaps abandoned the path of the blade to become just another small-time thug, ultimately dead at an alley? I think that could work. It might motivate your character to be better than the other student, or their teacher set them to learn more. And get to the bottom of how he died.
    The meta point of the campaign traits is to put the PC's on a warpath at Lamm. So long as that happens, I don't mind some details being changed.
    Cool. I will go into more detail in my character’s (I’m thinking his name will be Banagher Tengille) backstory.

On another note, I have to ask. Are we encouraged to have optimized builds, or is it okay to make a couple choices that sound like fun?
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2024-05-08 at 02:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Not finished just yet, gotta pick her skills and spend a little more gold but it gives an idea what she'll be like. Her damage probably won't be particularly impressive until she hits third level, but still...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Cool. I will go into more detail in my character’s (I’m thinking his name will be Banagher Tengille) backstory.

On another note, I have to ask. Are we encouraged to have optimized builds, or is it okay to make a couple choices that sound like fun?
    My intent at this point is to run the Adventure Path fairly straight, accounting for player characters of course, but I'll try to scale things up or down if encounters seem too trivial or impossible. (That said, some encounters are easy and others hard, and the dice will be dice). Being super optimal is unnecessary.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hmmm, Telekineticist or Busker Bard?
    I'm leaning more towards Telekineticist and building him for a lot of interesting utility and combat maneuvers.
    Last edited by grumblyarcher; 2024-05-09 at 07:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Here's Banagher's character sheet so far. I'm thinking about taking a Drawback and third Trait (maybe Draconic Destiny, to reflect that his education has gotten him involved with forces he hasn't even considered). He also needs equipment.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

WIP sheet

I have a question. How worried we should be about tracking food and ammunition?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2903121
    I have my sheet ready, still working on the backstory.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have a question. How worried we should be about tracking food and ammunition?
    I'm going to say not very. The cost of such things starts to become fairly trivial, so as long as you are in the city I can assume you restock. Masterwork, special material and such projectiles need to be kept track of, and in case you run into extended bouts in the wilderness for food or a gauntlet/dungeon type thing, I'll ask you to keep track.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think I'm ready to call my character sheet done. I'll update this post with my PC's backstory, and maybe some kind of visual reference.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2024-05-09 at 10:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Are gnolls possible? I can't find any racial feats to go with but I have some ideas, at least.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."