New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default A spellcasters worst nightmare

Hello...

I’m running a game, where I have a very cocky wizard and I’m hoping you guys will help me come up with a challenge for this dude!

I need to find some anti- Spellcasting monsters. I need them to exist in Faerūn, meaning that it should be part of the FR line of books. I need them to be either 3.0 or 3.5 rules. CR should preferable be non-epic, or as low CR as possible and in no way must it be above CR 27.

I hope you guys will help me. Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A spellcasters worst nightmare

Golems, golems on rampage. (CR min: 7 for standard MM golems)

Lychanthrope too, as they will raise the CR of the spellcaster without giving him/her any spellcasting abilities.
    Last edited by Pilo; 2013-06-07 at 04:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

DruidGuy

Easy. Golem - any of them. And anti-magic field, just to be sure.

4. - Top - End - #4

MonkGuy

The worst thing you can do to a spellcaster is another spellcaster.
    'Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' - Johnson, Cave.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by marcielle View Post
    The worst thing you can do to a spellcaster is another spellcaster.
    That !
    Definitly that !

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I came in here with full certainty that this would be a discussion of monks and their overpowered spellcaster-kicking ways. Imagine my relief!

Now, on to the topic. I suggest a counterspelling/dispel-focused caster with one or two archer companions who ready a manyshot action to disrupt casting; the caster ensures that things like wind wall or friendly fire don't block the archers.

However, be careful to avoid going overboard with this; if you're trying to "teach that jerk a lesson" or something, it will probably end badly, but if you're just trying to make things closer to challenging, you should do OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I find a few low level (like, level 4 and above) fighters optimized for archery can create havoc with spellcasters, if they don't have a Protection From Arrows or Wind Wall prepared. Even with a DEX 16, they could have +8 to attack with feats and rapid shot their arrows for 1d8+1d8 per round. Add in magic arrows, a composite bow for STR damage, and a surprise round, and you have great attack and ok damage at long ranges. Great for low level wizards for sure but if you're talking CR27 as the highest, then as others have said, Golems are creatures spellcasters have very little answers for. Archer Golems?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maximized Awakened Shadesteel Golem given 19 levels of Factotum and 1 of Mindbender (it's CR 20 or 21) along with the feat Persistent Emanation: Selective (feat from Shining South) Antimagic Field. Add on Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Improved Unarmed Strike, Exceptional Deflection, and Infinite Deflection.

Give it the thirty or so Craft Contingent spells that its HD let it have and the items that it gets.

Watch your party weep in horror.

Its worse when you give it Improved Spell Capacity enough times to get it a one per day 10th so that it can cast multiple 9th level spells per day.

Maximized Awakened Shadesteel Golem Psion 20 with a Persistent Emanation: Selective spell AMF is also positively nasty.

Hell, the same base but use Kung Fu Genius Cobra Strike Monk 14/ Factotum 8 with all of its other feats (besides the Permanent Emanation) on Font of Inspiration can be incredibly nasty.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    I came in here with full certainty that this would be a discussion of monks and their overpowered spellcaster-kicking ways. Imagine my relief!
    Maximized Awakened Shadesteel Golem Monk 19/Swordsage 1 with Infinite Deflection, Exceptional Deflection, Permanent Emanation: Selective AMF, and Self Concealment taken 5 times.

Watch it slaughter your party and laugh.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spellcasters nightmares:
    Spell resistance
    Saving throws
    Grapple
    Sneak attacks
    Confined spaces

So some suggestions:
    Drows (Spell resistance, poisoned equipment vs bad fortitude) add class levels to adjust CR
    Ghosts (draining touch ) CR depend on base creature (drow perhaps)
    Golems (as suggested)
    Glabrezu (Improved Grab, Spell resistance)

If you know the spell list, you can try to use creatures that are protected from his strength's.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature. Where did you start yours?
    On a city fair, where the BBEG, disguised as a fortune teller, lured them to go on a quest for him, without knowing each other.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

However, be careful to avoid going overboard with this; if you're trying to "teach that jerk a lesson" or something, it will probably end badly, but if you're just trying to make things closer to challenging, you should do OK.
    That's very very right.. You cant create plot where all the other player can do at least something, but your caster can do nothing. That would be unfair. But you can have him do something, a caster should do, that would rend him unable to do any other cocky actions.

Maybe have a caster as an opponent and your caster should only counter or dispel his spells (that's a scenario you should plot so he wont just go full dmg on his opponent, but forced him to just counter spells (e.g. to save the party from a fireball) and dispel spells (buffs maybe) to make his party able to harm their opponent.

Another way, i think, to make a challenge for him, is to have more encounters per day (a caster have a limited number of spells per day and especially a wiz has too low). The normal encounters per day i think its 3. Maybe increase them a little, or, if you have less than 3 encounters per day, you should try just 3. Even at level 20, a wiz has only 4 spells per day per spell level (+bonus). I don't think he would have all his (let's say) 6 (with bonuses) 3rd level spells to be fireballs.. And the limited number of spells together with the number of encounters per day are balancing the game between casters and non-casters.

That's what i can think now..

12. - Top - End - #12

Beholders have anti-magic and multiple attacks. Beholders plus golems is unkind but funny.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

13. - Top - End - #13

A Nishruu could be dangerous to those who weren't expecting it (Lost Empires of Faerun). They feed on magic and can even disable artifacts.

(quoted from their Absorb Magic ability:

"Artifacts do not operate while in contact with a nishruu and for 1 round thereafter")
    Illumian Dread Necromancer Lich avatar by Tinymushroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Dragons with access to epic feats (Extraordinary Deflection & al.), spellcasting (including solid anti-magic effects like Greater Dispel Magic, Disjunction, shaped Anti-Magic Field, etc.) and such. They tend to be the best. Magic must defeat magic. Doesn't matter how immune to everything you are, you still lose to Gated monsters and can't catch Teleporting Wizard unless you can Teleport yourself.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #15

A Nishruu (Monsters of Faerun) or Hakeashar (Lost Empires of Faerun?) might be what you're looking for.

EDIT: Damn ninjas.
    Last edited by Alleran; 2013-06-07 at 06:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Maximized Awakened Shadesteel Golem Monk 19/Swordsage 1 with Infinite Deflection, Exceptional Deflection, Permanent Emanation: Selective AMF, and Self Concealment taken 5 times.

Watch it slaughter your party and laugh.
    How is it taking Self Concealment 5 times? Better yet, how is it taking those other feats? I thought monsters with over 21HD could only take make their feats after 21st and after HD be epic feats? Is it a Greater Advanced (Huge) Shadesteel Golem?

EDIT: Derp, you're adding class levels.
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-06-07 at 06:20 AM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's the method from the comic. I managed to do it as a PC - Arcane Heirophant with the feat to share spells a up to 30' "shared" (i.e. on companion only) and Anti Magic Field with my Dire Puma companion familiar who then went and attacked (with Improved Grab when the Bite hit) the 'Big Bad' wizard we were facing. The rogue standing next to him got very happy indeed.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    How is it taking Self Concealment 5 times? Better yet, how is it taking those other feats? I thought monsters with over 21HD could only take make their feats after 21st and after HD be epic feats? Is it a Greater Advanced (Huge) Shadesteel Golem?

EDIT: Derp, you're adding class levels.
    The glory of non associated class levels. In the case of a Shadesteel Golem, 18 to make it CR 20. The one you quoted is CR 21.5 and has 38 HD (and thus 12 feats from HD).

Incidentally it also has a perfect flight speed of 90 ft (120 with Epic speed, 150 with permanent Cloud Wings, doubled with epic Boots of Swiftness). Pick up the Improved Flyby Attack line as well (Adroit Flyby Attack is cheaper feat wise if your perfect fly speed can make up for needing the Hover feat as a prerequisite) and Great Flyby Attack.

Use a Craft Contingent (or scroll, you can easily make the UMD check) Superior Invisibility at the start of combat along with a Craft Contingent Greater Ironguard.

Now laugh super hard at the party. You are immune to all metal weapons, all magic that can't operate inside an AMF, all ranged attacks, and can't be detected in virtually any way.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Tippy, how do your players counter things like that, assuming you actually do them to the party?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Psionics with the "Psionics are different" setting.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Tippy, how do your players counter things like that, assuming you actually do them to the party?
    At ECL 20 and before they get epic feats and capabilities of their own?

Foresight to act in the surprise round, celerity if you loose initiative (triggers Craft Contingent Favor of the Marty to negate daze), might be blocked by Permanent Emanation: Temporal Repair if within the range of that (in which case a Craft Contingent Resilient Sphere targeted on the PC is triggered), if able to act cast Time Stop (cheaper to put the Celerity on Craft Contingent than it is Time Stop, by a lot), cast a barred variant Force Cage around the Golem, activate a Weirdstone outside it (barred forcecage not blocking line of effect), cast a Sculped AMF that covers the force cage (no longer an emanation so it stays there), use PAO or similar spells (like wall of stone) to make a depression that the Forcecage+Golem is in, fill the depression with non magical acid. If it's immune to acid then use fire. If immune to that then you start to have problems. Start filling the cage with rubble and stone/iron to force the Golem near the edge and then have your melee type go and start jabbing it through the bars until it dies.

Another possibility if you just want containment is to cover the bottom and sides of the forcecage with walls of stone or the like and then just fill it with Quintessence (instantaneous so AMF does nothing) before completing the box, moving it all into an extradimensional space, and then dumping it in storage somewhere.

There you go.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Rogues with capes of the montebank, anklets of transportation and other dimensional hops that will let them pop in, nail him and pop out.

23. - Top - End - #23

You could also just Gate in something strong enough to deal with it. 19 Contingent Celerities (one Favor of the Martyr) tied to enemy using Celerity pretty much guarantees acting first and since it can't Teleport, sealing it away forever would be fairly trivial. Actually destroying it isn't even necessary; who cares if it exists if it can't do anything. There's also the Brute Force-solution of going through the AMF with Invoke Magic, Initiate of Mystra or powerful enough Disjunctions.

Detection through Mindsight, True Sight (both depend on how they're ruled to work, but one or the other should work), Arcane Sight, epic Spot-checks or such; there are some options that defeat Superior Invisibility.

Now, a bunch of them used in conjunction with a few casters could be quite nasty since the casters can use them to gain their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneGlyph View Post
    Rogues with capes of the montebank, anklets of transportation and other dimensional hops that will let them pop in, nail him and pop out.
    3rd level spell by the name of Anticipate Teleport from Spell Compendium makes just about any kind of Teleport-bys useless (Wish might work but anything less than that won't).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2013-06-07 at 08:01 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    You could also just Gate in something strong enough to deal with it.
    Well yes, but that is cheating.

19 Contingent Celerities (one Favor of the Martyr) tied to enemy using Celerity pretty much guarantees acting first
    Except Fisty McSmashYourFace has 38 such contingencies.

and since it can't Teleport, sealing it away forever would be fairly trivial.
    Who said it can't teleport? The Shadow Jaunt line gives it short range teleportation, Monk gives it Abundant Step, and numerous items allow teleportation (I tend to give mine a Ring of Three Wishes).

Actually destroying it isn't even necessary; who cares if it exists if it can't do anything. There's also the Brute Force-solution of going through the AMF with Invoke Magic, Initiate of Mystra or powerful enough Disjunctions.
    Invoke only gets you 4th level spells and it still has immunity to any SR: Yes spell and Infinite+Exceptional Deflection, Disjunction (assuming you get lucky) will only drop the AMF for a round as it can be put back up as a free action by the golem.

Detection through Mindsight,
    Works.
    True Sight (both depend on how they're ruled to work, but one or the other should work), Arcane Sight,
    Doesn't work thanks to a Ring of Sequester (or if the DM wants to be a penny pincher a Third Eye Conceal or just a once per day trip through a Mind Blank trap)
    epic Spot-checks or such; there are some options that defeat Superior Invisibility.
    Yep, but few of them work particularly great. Mindsight is the one really good one.

Now, a bunch of them used in conjunction with a few casters could be quite nasty since the casters can use them to gain their actions.
    That's why they are all Ice Assassins produced by the Roboforge (items as well). 14,400 per day to engage your enemies. Name your target, pay Interplanar Asassins Unlimited a million GP and they will send them one after the other until your enemy is dead or you cancel the contract at a rate of 1 to 10 per day.

What? You think just because the players want to rest that they get to avoid random encounters?

Use Vow of Poverty versions (Chaos Shuffled of course) and no items except the 1 charge Ring of Wish (to get them to the target) and you don't even have to worry about the party getting rich.

3rd level spell by the name of Anticipate Teleport from Spell Compendium makes just about any kind of Teleport-bys useless (Wish might work but anything less than that won't).
    Yep.

Granted, my preferred approach is to come in from the ethereal plane under Mindblank and then use a Craft Contingent Greater Blink to engage. Or a Persistent Greater Blink for greater fun. That bypasses Mindsight and every other detection or warning spell/method in the game (Mindblank blocking True Seeing and See Invisible) and it's blocked by Anticipate Teleport.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

However, be careful to avoid going overboard Tippy with this...
    Just in case you are seriously thinking about employing any of Tippy's suggestions in your game, please make sure that either your players are all experienced optimizers, or that all of their medical insurance policies include mental health coverage and that you have a well-trained group of trauma counselors on hand.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

26. - Top - End - #26

Except Fisty McSmashYourFace has 38 such contingencies.
    Of course, but that wasn't specified yet and contingencies are being spent elsewhere. Still, it's true; usually such application of Craft Contingent Spell leads to the higher HD act first (which makes HD-boosting like Inspire Greatness, Awaken-loops and company all the more enticing). Though some types of anti-magic effects can make it difficult to trigger Crafted Contingencies at all times.

Who said it can't teleport? The Shadow Jaunt line gives it short range teleportation, Monk gives it Abundant Step, and numerous items allow teleportation (I tend to give mine a Ring of Three Wishes).
    Well, I was assuming an AMF had been deployed; Shadow Jaunt requires Line of Effect so it's useless without magic vs. a solid Forcecage.

Invoke only gets you 4th level spells and it still has immunity to any SR: Yes spell and Infinite+Exceptional Deflection, Disjunction (assuming you get lucky) will only drop the AMF for a round as it can be put back up as a free action by the golem.
    Well, with Sanctum Spell you can get 5ths. I'm sure there are others too. There's also only a limit on the spell level, not any metamagic applied. And one round is all that's needed, certainly; you can just chain enough actions together with any combination of Arcane Fusioned Celerities, Time Stops, Temporal Accelerations, Schisms, Shapechange abilities (Dual Actions probably the most useful here but since you can take as many turns as you feel like I guess you can use any number of forms).

We can easily pump CL to the point where it's at least 50/50 and then use a barrage of Disjunctions, or an Incantatrix can apply Metamagic Effect to reshape the AMF (using Sculpt Spell) to make it non-covering (e.g. 10' cubes).

I'm not saying it's not a solid defense, I'm just saying if a caster party actually gets to act, there certainly an array of offense at their disposal that can be useful, and bringing up a few options.

Granted, my preferred approach is to come in from the ethereal plane under Mindblank and then use a Craft Contingent Greater Blink to engage. Or a Persistent Greater Blink for greater fun. That bypasses Mindsight and every other detection or warning spell/method in the game (Mindblank blocking True Seeing and See Invisible) and it's blocked by Anticipate Teleport.
    That's a good one. There are areas on non-material planes where the Ethereal Plane is not coexistent, which would make it inaccessible, and a few blocks that lock away the entire Ethereal Plane. Ghost Trap for instance is a pretty solid persistable buff for making few hundred feet of Ethereal Plane inaccessible around you, but it's of course probably not as commonly deployed as simple damage immunity like Delay Death or Regen/Favor or whatever. Aside from that, yeah, that solves most of your problems.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I designed a SpellFire Golem who instead of being flat out immune to magic would absorb any spell directed at it much like a rod of absorption. It also had high spell resistance for area attacks. To add insult to injury its slams hit with a greater dispelling and any buff dispelled would also be absorbed. It can absorb up to its strength score in spell levels.

What can it do with these absorbed spells, heal it self as a swift action (5hp/ per spell level) Hurl a bolt of spellfire 4d6+1d6 per absorbed spell level(max the golem's hit dice) also a swift action. Oh and I almost forgot they can see magical auras, have minimal intelligence and ranks in spellcraft allowing for a limited ability for strategy. The first time my party fought one it tore them in half largely because they were all heavily buffed so it kept absorbing spell energy to heal it self.

A spell caster lives and dies by his buffs the absolute worst thing you can do to him is a creature that not only dispels his buffs but uses that same energy to empower it self.

Now its a homebrew monster but is inspired by spell fire so it fit into faerun.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2013-06-07 at 10:24 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    Hello...

I’m running a game, where I have a very cocky wizard and I’m hoping you guys will help me come up with a challenge for this dude!

I need to find some anti- Spellcasting monsters. I need them to exist in Faerūn, meaning that it should be part of the FR line of books. I need them to be either 3.0 or 3.5 rules. CR should preferable be non-epic, or as low CR as possible and in no way must it be above CR 27.

I hope you guys will help me. Thanks
    Okay, cocky wizard. Lots of good advice in the thread for doing a total curb-stomp of him. But I'd really caution against that - it might only encourage him to start an arms race. You'll always win, since you're the DM; but it's really not a situation you want to get into. I'd suggest that you throw something at him that really gives him the feeling of being in mortal peril, but he's still able to get away by the skin of his teeth (preferably, only because his team-mates were helping him out).

In order to do that, you'll really need to tailor the encounter to his style. What sorts of tactics is he routinely employing? What buffs does he always have up? And (very importantly) what level is he?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

On thing I've realized from playing in a high-ish level game as a controller wizard is that multiple foes with some sort of 1/day evasion ability who like to spread out are very difficult. Sure, a single ogre can be Glitterdusted and hacked apart. Half a dozen flying angels that can turn ethereal 1/day for a round with wounding bows makes for a MUCH harder encounter. You can't just Solid Fog them all and deal with them 1-2 at a time. If you blast one of them with a MM'd Orb of Fire, you still have more to deal with. They are too high up to Evard's, plus the etherealness. Too spread out to easily Glitterdust more than 1 per spell. It was a HARD encounter as a decently optimized God style Conjourer, and I've been in a lot that were similarly difficult.

Spread the foes out. Keep them off the ground. Give them some sort of minor evasion ability a limited number of times per day just to soak up resources. Do 2/3 of these things and you'll find your spellcaster is expending a large amount of resources just to do his "job". I've fought foes with 1/day Wings of Cover which is very annoying, and others with 1/day Dim Door. Outsiders with Greater Teleport at will are great for this.

Then just introduce an Armageddon Clock. Make him deal with encounters with a half-empty spell list because if he stops to rest and reset his spells, a Doomy Doom of Doomalicious DoomTM will occur. Occasionally punish the caster for trying to compete on a 5 min work day. Build into the adventure the need to Teleport frequently so a portion of high level slots are expended just on running errands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

If you want completely ridiculous ideas that most likely aren't going to fit in Faerūn 100%, you could try one of the weirdest joke enemies we ever had to fight. The team of evil fighters who wielded... Vile Staple Guns. On successful pins, they could staple a PC's mouth shut or staple their arms to their sides. Our poor caster was only able to fight with stilled and silenced spells, while the rest of us kicked and headbutted our way to victory. Memorable encounter, but very unbalanced enemies (really high CMB and initiative, but really low HP). I don't think the campaign kept going for much longer.

In case you were wondering, Vile Staples can only be removed by a Vile Staple Remover. Holding it bestows a negative level unless you are evil. And the staples had annoyingly high AC. We all agreed that staples would not be allowed at the table ever again.

I really doubt that helped, but who knows? Maybe there's a good idea in there somewhere if you adapt the living crap out of it. And avoid staples.