New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XVII: 40% Spam, 55% Banter, 5% Actually Meaningful Discussi

Shizotec has modern rifles, and Oliver can be seen wielding them. Jakob is wielding a modern pistol.

It's not like Oliver wouldn't be able to obtain Shizian weapons, after all he is a war hero.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XVII: 40% Spam, 55% Banter, 5% Actually Meaningful Discussi

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    The computers are the last of their kind, lost technology from Schizotec (now Schitzland). The Resistance had modern guns and rifles ? Well... They are not supposed to... And motorbikes are just armoured bicycles refitted with engines from the primitive auto mobiles or magitek, so that's not that bad.

A fleet that will not intact forever...
    They probably would have modern guns and rifles, Ven knows how to build them after all.

The reason the UNS was able to supress Schizian technology was that most of the advanced stuff was restricted to government officials anyway, so it's not like they had to break into citizens houses and confiscate their cell phones and laser cannons. All they had to do was sequester the stuff that belonged to the high-level government offcials, which said government officials had been sequestering themselves for generations.

Ven had accsess to much of that knowledge. Mind you, he may not have the right materials or tools to build modern guns for anybody except resistance leaders, but he knows how to build them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    I used to think Szliard was called Slizard. I really should pay closer attention to names.. <.<
    Still wrong, it's Szilard.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    Still wrong, it's Szilard.
    Heh.. I suppose that just reinforces my point there. <.<

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

MM... I think your starting to verge on the line of Godmodding now .
    And personally I think your starting to restrict this far too much.
    To draw on a well known film quote:
    Mad Mask what you have done is pure madness.
    This is not your playground.
    THIS IS ABR!!!!!
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

6. - Top - End - #786
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fayt View Post
    MM... I think your starting to verge on the line of Godmodding now .
    And personally I think your starting to restrict this far too much.
    To draw on a well known film quote:
    Mad Mask what you have done is pure madness.
    This is not your playground.
    THIS IS ABR!!!!!
    MM only wants to do the first couple of comics and considering all the time and effort he's put into FI surely that's fair.
    Also He's a great artist so it will be good to start FI looking professional, rather than some really tacky piece of art that looks awful.
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    *vows never to be a jerk again*
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

I was actually referring to all the restrictions he has put on us.
    If we can remember back to when Keris started up Plot 3, he had put a few restrictions on us and explained why those restrictions had been placed. If we broke them, he didn't get annoyed or anything but he tried to come up with reasons for them being there (such as the Dragons, and the fact that magic was frowned upon and outlawed).
    Whereas Mad Mask has put loads of restrictions (some of which do not make much sense) and it would seem to me that he has done this for the fact he wants to have a plot that runs HIS way.
    Does he even have his own character done?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Spoiler
    Show
    They probably would have modern guns and rifles, Ven knows how to build them after all.

The reason the UNS was able to supress Schizian technology was that most of the advanced stuff was restricted to government officials anyway, so it's not like they had to break into citizens houses and confiscate their cell phones and laser cannons. All they had to do was sequester the stuff that belonged to the high-level government offcials, which said government officials had been sequestering themselves for generations.

Ven had accsess to much of that knowledge. Mind you, he may not have the right materials or tools to build modern guns for anybody except resistance leaders, but he knows how to build them.
    Ah, it's fine then. Having more advanced technology certainly would help when you are outnumbered.

I had an idea: what if Schizotec has become a World War I-like battleground, with poison gas, trenches and primitive "tanks", but in ravaged cityscapes ? The idea seems attractive, I don't know why.

@Fayt: I put too much restrictions ? I apologise, I sometimes want have everything established and grounded. It would be nice if you pointed them to me, so I can rectify them. Sorry if I seemed restrictive.

And yes, I have my character done (since a long time). I should post it shortly.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-01-24 at 03:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Barbarian in the Playground

@ MM - So did you want us to post you our FI characters?
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    *vows never to be a jerk again*
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

@Fayt: I put too much restrictions ? I apologise, I sometimes want have everything established and grounded. It would be nice if you pointed them to me, so I can rectify them. Sorry if I seemed restrictive.
    Well:
    No droids or robots (hmmm Mechafox is in a bito trouble then)
    No electronic devices, except the Sovices (kinda unfair),
    Analogue computers,
    Mainly steampunk looking tech (apparently 16 - 17th century appearence),
    Ye old vehickulary,
    No machine / gatling / automatic guns
    No Zeppelins,
    The most lucky or important members of the UNA have accessed to more advanced technology, from the Sovices.
    (now thats unfair...),
    (and those were from one post...)
    I could go on and look past the last page...
    But I am really, really, REALLY lazy
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

Well:
    No electronic devices, except the Sovices (kinda unfair), Analogue computers,
    Ye old vehickulary,
    No Zeppelins,
    (now thats unfair...)
    I explained the technology level of the mainstream UNA population, not the entire planet. I wrote that so you don't see everybody running around with cell phones, sonic screwdrivers, laser guns and Hondas. The Resistance or important or lucky members of the UNA (read: your characters) can have more advanced technology, as long as it does not overpower everybody on the planet.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-01-24 at 04:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

Q's comic is non-canon. Mine, on the other hand, will include everyone. And to make sure I have everyone, I will ask all participants to re-post (or send me a PM) of their character bio.

Of course. I will make multiple people narrate.
    Can I be a narrate too? I can imagine Death sitting on a big chair with a cup of tea telling a story.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

Me thinks an exception can be made for Mecha, since this happened pre Fi. But I think Mad means no Killbot 9000's.
    No electronic devices, except the Sovices (kinda unfair),
    Analogue computers,
    Fits in with the setting
    Ye old vehickulary,

No Zeppelins,
    Also fits in with the setting, although I think zeppelins would be acceptable.
    The most lucky or important members of the UNA have accessed to more advanced technology, from the Sovices.
    (now thats unfair...),
    The resistance is quite literally that, a resistance. If Q's comic is to be any indication (Even though it was non-canon?) You people live in a bloody sewer. Good luck developing your Killbot 9000 down there.

The Una on the other hand is a huge organization, with ample resources to work on these kinds of things.

14. - Top - End - #794

I thought that the resistance hung out in the ruined Citadel, or the Vendetta, or something...

Venn has lots of tech available... And can still produce Dettas, and presumably other items...

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

Well said, Tiffanie Lirle.

I said no Zeppelins because, hell, it's being only 15 years since the Sovice arrived, and it took a long time to go from the simple unpowered hot-air balloons to the manoeuvrable airships. And it would be improbable that they got the technology from the Sovice, since I don't think Zeppelins would be very useful to a space-faring species.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of gray View Post
    I thought that the resistance hung out in the ruined Citadel, or the Vendetta, or something...
    The leaders do hang out in the Citadel (refitted, not ruined), but the majority of the resistance has to live in the sewers and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of gray View Post
    Venn has lots of tech available... And can still produce Dettas, and presumably other items...
    Yes, but Ven is only one man computer, and I don't think he has large factories at his disposal, so he should have difficulty provide every single member of the resistance with high-tech weaponry. And good luck finding enough unobtainium for every Resistance person.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-01-24 at 04:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Okay, that makes sense. So the UNoA is doing the same thing Schitzotech did, keeping all the good technology to the upper levels in order to keep the populace happy and loyal.

For example, a disease breaks out in Salmonville, UNoA Aid workers equipped with advanced tech show up, quickly develop a vaccine, distribute food and treat the sick. Everybody cheers "Huzzah, the UNoA is Awsome!" Of course, had they given the landfish that medical technology ahead of time, they could probably have prevented the outbreak in the first place, but this is better PR.

In Schitzotech the government used a similar trick to keep people wowed and in-awe of the government officials. A Kraken starts terrorizing the fishermen, the government shows up with it's torpedo boats and blows it to smithereens. Huzzah!

Concerning the resistance, though they CAN produce advanced items, their capacity to do so is rather limited. Only ven really knows how, and he only knows how in a manner that's difficult to explain to people who are not a robotic hive mind programmed primarily to build and fix things.

Ven probably has a few "Shops" positioned around the world, a big one onboard the Citadel of course, where Repair and Basic dettas build and repair things for the Resistance. However, he dosn't have the capacity to produce things from raw, unrefined materials, you can't give him a lump of iron ore and expect him to turn it into a SMG. Most of the work he does is probably "Upgrading" Scavenged weapons. You know, converting an early breech-loader rifle into somthing that can fire homeade explosive rounds.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

I said no Zeppelins because, hell, it's being only 15 years since the Sovice arrived, and it took a long time to go from the simple unpowered hot-air balloons to the manoeuvrable airships. And it would be improbable that they got the technology from the Sovice, since I don't think Zeppelins would be very useful to a space-faring species.
    My English failed me for a moment there. I got hot-air balloons and zeppelins mixed up.

I can understand the whole no zeppelin thing, yeah.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

The infrastructure from the Exersus Resistance should remain operable after 15 years, it's already survived 500. That includes a massive network of underground catacombs and tunnels largely separate from the main Underdark system. A lot of it is public historical interest, but most of it stayed covert and hidden following the Battle of the Palace (Hence why the Red Whispers can appear as if from nowhere despite being largely nonmagical).

Then there's Alphantica hidden under the ocean, and the Citadel has the same capacity with it's shield, provided the shield is made too small to hold the right amount of atmospheric ballast. Assuming contact can be made with the Guinfolk, the two shields could be synchronised to merge (Like mitosis in reverse, or two bubbles), allowing the Citadel in and out.

Lastly, there's Mesa Canyon. To best of all historical records, no-one has ever gone down to the bottom and it can't be seen from ground level. Heck, only the Grisgol are able to survive the climb, they paved the way for everyone else.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Colossus in the Playground

Can I destroy alphantica, pleeeease? I am serious btw
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    Lastly, there's Mesa Canyon. To best of all historical records, no-one has ever gone down to the bottom and it can't be seen from ground level. Heck, only the Grisgol are able to survive the climb, they paved the way for everyone else.
    Really? When did that occur.
    Last febuary I put it on the Wiki that an expedition had made it to the bottom where they discovered a catche of pre-catacylsm technology, thus leading to Schitzotech's succession from the Empire of Man and it's advanced technological levels. The Wiki page hasn't been changed since.

EDIT: Unless the Grisgol were behind the success of the Strembler expedition and manipulated the events that resulted from that. I mean, if they wanted to hide somthing at the bottom of the canyon, having the nation above the canyon be an isolationist technological millitary superpower would go a long way towards that.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-01-24 at 05:00 PM.
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

confused Re: ABR Discussion Thread XVII: 40% Spam, 55% Banter, 5% Actually Meaningful Discussi

My characters don't hang around anywhere, actually as far as most knows (exept Chriky, Nameless, Ven and Gremlin) they don't exist. Jim, Jonas, bill, Tim, bump, Hoodey, S'zard, Sith and Gat hangs around a lot of places tough
    Disquises are funny

By the way if tecknolgy is 17th century like and they use a "keep puplic from knowing" politic wouldn't that justify grand racism (not knowing about other HUMANS looking vaguely different let to slavery and such. In my history book there's a part from a geography book from 1904 that states a lot of bad stuff about the three non-white RACES of humans in the world) among low to medium ranking soldiers and peasants? I think that could justify both Nilrem's dead and Kriss mother's non-escaping.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

*Is clapping*
    ____

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XVII: 40% Spam, 55% Banter, 5% Actually Meaningful Discussi

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    *Is clapping*
    If it's for my post then thanks (though you made fun of me, but maybe I overeacted. Sorry for that) if not then.. Wrong number.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is my character for Future Imperfect. It's not the final product, as I might tweak it a little bit, and I've changed the uniform about 5 times.

Karen Dewey
    Biography
    Karen Dewey was born on February 12, 1498, in Bourbun City, Pericle, to Simon Dewey, a captain in the Bourbun Imperial Navy. The Bourbun society was not as patriarchal as the rest of Pericle, and she was admitted in the Naval Academy of Bourbun, as it was customary in the city.

Already a commander when the UNA was founded, Karen was highly supportive of their efforts, and was the first non-Pikalite to be enrolled in the United Nations Navy (which developed from the Royal Tajiran Navy). She was the second officer of a transport ship, the Harmony, a boat who’s first mission was to bring ex-High Senator Acostas Gwyn to the guinoid colony on New Alphantica. Karen then quickly rose through the ranks of the UNN, and by 1541 she was already Admiral of the Fleet.

In 1532, Karen married a man named Jeremiah Anderson, a peacekeeper in the UNA. She had two sons: Charles Dewey and Simon Dewey. However, in 1536, when the family was in vacation in Salmonville, a group of terrorists called the Front for Avbaroy Independence and Liberation bombed the first-class hotel in which they were residing. Although Karen was able to escape, her husband and two sons we not so lucky and died in the blast.

Since then, Karen Dewey has sworn revenge against the F.A.I.L. and has done everything in her power to stop them. When not on duty, she travels round the world to make speeches about the F.A.I.L..

Powers
    As Fleet Admiral, Karen enjoys a great deal of power in the UNA and has access to the best technology and quality of life. She commands a submersible, the UNS Quito, one of the most versatile ships of the United Nations Navy, capable of defending itself against nearly everything, notable for being the only ship to have scored a victory against the Lost Citadel of Bis Anu.

Personality
    Most of the time, Karen is a very serene person, thanks to the Elf Meditation classes she took to relieve the trauma of losing her family. However, when the F.A.I.L. is brought up, she can be very emotional and may take irrational decisions, such as going head-to-head to the Citadel of Bis Anu or risking her life or those of her comrades to kill as many F.A.I.L. members as possible. She is also a bit arrogant and does not believe in the afterlife.

Hobbies
    Karen always had an interest in the musical art and plays the piccolo, which is a very small concert flute. She also loves cats, and she always bring one on her travels.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-01-24 at 05:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

Other than that I believe we've settled on Avbaroy Liberation Front (A.L.F), that seems perfectly fine to me.

Though if she's meant to have a bun I recommend placing it behind the rest of the hair.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

We have? When?

I like F.A.I.L. Hey, if Lying is epic and he's leading F.A.I.L... well you get the idea.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

27. - Top - End - #807

I'd like to think that the resistance isn't behind this.

There should be the following factions:

UNA: Obvious
    Resistance: Seeks Good. Usually Good Guys
    F.A.I.L.: Evil terrorists who seek to overthrow the UNA so that they can continue with their nefarious ways. They are more heavily publicized, and they are considered part of the resistance by the UNA.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ettin in the Playground

Lying certainly wouldn't abide the bombing of a public building, but Chriky might not be so conservative.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

The Resistance was behind it. The building was a private hotel who houses the most important members of the UNA (like Ins). As Ven said: "The deaths of a few innocents mean nothing if we kill their leader.".

The UNA would never kill its most important members (read: Ins, Karen and co.) just to promote loyalty. It's more likely that the Sovice bomb the office of a less important leader, like a mayor (then blame it on F.A.I.L.).

And F.A.I.L. is how the UNA calls the Resistance.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

Kris, in all his glory. Warning: May include few large pictures.
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of him attacking
    Spoiler
    Show

One of him with a fireball
    Spoiler
    Show

And one without.
    Spoiler
    Show

An example of his sword powered up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by CrimsonAngel; 2009-01-24 at 08:33 PM.
    ____