New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Parson's Gaming Group

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I was just looking at this early comic and noticed some interesting parallells between the players in Parson's gaming groups and the main characters - both on Stanley's side and/or from the RCC. Here's what I came up with:

Black Hair - Jack or Vinny
    Chick (Ashna) - Wanda or Jillian
    Bandanna Dude - Stanley (?) or Ansom
    Brown Hair and Glasses - Sizemore or ???

Am I grasping at straws here? If this has been brought up before, can someone direct me to that thread?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Parson's Gaming Group

Bandanna Dude is Hawk, the Artist/Protagonist from Applegeeks. I don't know about any of the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

The girl does bear a similarity to wanda.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

There were plans at one point to do a spin-off story revolving around the other gaming group members, which suggests that they aren't actually surrogated by other cast members.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Your post would be more worthwhile if you had explained the reasoning behind your choices. The way it is your allocations just seem random. I see no similarities between those characters at all.

For example, the member of Parson's group we know most about is Ashna: Strip 16 shows us that she is a kind person that honestly seems to worry about Parson's wellbeing - and this is basically all we know. How is she in any way similar to Wanda (besides having womanly parts, which I assume your reasoning is based on)?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know, any argument based on the similarity of Stanley and Ansom seems inherently false.

And I don't see resemblance between Ahsna and Wanda; Ashna has darker skin and brown hair, Wanda is white (but ot pale) and has black hair. Not to mention the different eye colour and that Wanda has fuller lips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    Your post would be more worthwhile if you had explained the reasoning behind your choices. The way it is your allocations just seem random. I see no similarities between those characters at all.
    A fair point. I was mostly going off of (superficial?) physical resemblances and figured others might notice the same thing if I pointed it out. "Black Hair" simply looks like Jack to me; "Brown Hair" just looks a lot like Sizemore. I don't actually have anything more to say than that.

As for Ashna, I'm conflicted as to whether she looks more like Jillian or Wanda - both females have a lot of the "exotic" look going on within the strip, which Ashna definitely exhibits as well. Or perhaps it's just the way Jamie draws women.

I'm mostly willing to discount Bandanna Dude; I was originally unsure of whom he most resembled, and as BRC points out, he's almost certainly a shout-out to another comic.

I am mainly going off the theory that the "reality" of Erfworld is somehow distinctly intertwined with Parson's reality, so it makes sense that the players in his gaming group - who are presumably some of the few people he has regular contact with - would show up in Erfworld in some context.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vespers View Post
    I'm mostly willing to discount Bandanna Dude; I was originally unsure of whom he most resembled, and as BRC points out, he's almost certainly a shout-out to another comic.
    He bears a small similarity with Bogroll.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I just wonder if the other players are going to be teleported in to participate in Erfworld 2: The Wraith of Gobwin Knob.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Or what player was teleported in to participate in Erfworld 2: The fate of Faq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think it could be possiable that Parson's old gameing group might end up in Erfworld. If Parson startes to kick everyones collectives tails, they might go and summom warlords that have beaten Lord Hamster. And as gamers the group would have beaten Parson in the past. Parson for all faults seemed to be a very good GM and a good GM's job is to make for a good game. A good game doe not involve kicking the player tails all the time.