New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Rise from the Ashes IC

Quote Originally Posted by Omnik View Post
    Destination: North

The airship finally arrived to the northern land, approaching the sprawling city known as Venaat Tuan, "New Beginning". It was an incredible sight. The settlement was built on a island in the middle of a great frozen lake. Crystal spires shining with multi-colored light towered over the buildings of wood and stone. The entire islands seemed to be contained in a translucent dome. The guests soon learned that it was actually a field of arcane energy. The people living under the dome didn't feel the bite of cold. The same enchantment protected the guests and the crew on the ship. Surprisingly, the airship didn't land near Venaat Turan. Instead, it gained altitude, going above the clouds. There, the truth was revealed to the ambassadors: Dynean's palace was not located in the city, but in the sky, on one of several floating rings.

Once they disembarked, the guests were greeted by hordes of servant homunculi. They were led to the great hall of Dynean's residence, where a tall human male, the Majordomo, was waiting for them. He informed the delegates that the Queen had been called in a hurry to one of the frontier towns, but that she should be back in a day or so. Until then, the guests have access to their personal chambers, this hall, the dining room, a domed meeting chamber, just outside the palace, as well as the courtyard (warning them to watch their step).

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: You are free to discuss with the other delegations. In addition to Loyalists (Aerifolk, Baradans, Children of Uso, Naradians), representatives of the Al-Makim and the Crimson Claw are also present.
    Also, the people living in the palace or visiting Dynean's residence are mostly humans and gnomes.

The Saradites, always wanting peace, decide to stay with the Order and negotiate for peace.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hradani

The Hradani in northern Ogre Hills spot lupine marching towards the South.

Meanwhile, back in the steppes, a scout reports seeing a monster taller than the tallest tree emerging from the toxic waters of the Sea of Slime. He didn't see much except its hulking silhouette. When the Hardani go to investigate the shore, they find no monster, only a strange goo clinging to the wildlife.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Hradani

Strange creatures had been spotted in both parts of the Hradani lands. In the hills, strange wolf like creatures were seen moving south. In the Steppes, tales abounded of a large....thing....seen in the sea of slime.

Quickly decisions were made. The lupines were shadowed by scouts. No hostile measures were made and every effort was made to remain unseen.

A group of Fili and guards went to the sea of slime. Samples of slime were carefully taken and tested. The wildlife that was affected was also studied for abnormalities.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The meeting with Dynean

The following day, the delegates were called to the Great Hall. Barada was the only one to have met the Queen in the North before. All others were completely awed in her presence. The woman was tall and fair. Her sapphire blue skin and silver hair gleamed with a faint light. She was dressed in a long white dress. The delegates felt invigorated around her; her aura was powerful yet soothing. Only the undead from the Crimson Claw felt uncomfortable at her sight.

"Welcome my friends. I am honored to have such esteemed diplomats in my home. I am sorry to have left you waiting for so long... My duty was elsewhere. I hope the majordomo treated you well while I was gone. But now I am here and I will hear all of you. First, I bid Barada, the Aeriefolk, the Naradians and the Children of Uso to follow me for a meeting in the Council Chamber. Then I will hear personal requests. If you wish to talk to me alone, request an audience and I will meet with you during the afternoon. Finally, every delegation will be invited to take part in a great feast tonight, in this hall."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: The first meeting is meant to discuss the state of the alliance. Post your concerns, questions to Dynean or to the other delegations after this.

Armin & Krrth: The Hradani and the Saradites may request a personal audience with the Queen, but not take part in the first meeting. You may post a request even if the meeting is still going on.
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-06-28 at 10:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Naradians

Hurler Barrow

Five days is what it took the Elder Sister and her companions to reach the ogre city. Hurler Barrow was located on a hill, next to a quarry. It was of moderate size and protected by a stockade. The Naradians came across several mounds as they followed the road to Hurler Hill, as well as giant stone statues of ogre lords, leading them to believe that this place was originally an important burial site. Jarek informed the Sister that he sensed a marching army not too far from there. They had to hurry.

(You arrive at the gates.)

Hradani

The scout following the wolfmen observes that the troops join more of their kind coming from the North and the East. They now form a legion. They are heading for the central hills.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The meeting with Dynean

Like most of the delegations would, the Matriarch followed the Queen without a word. For a mere mortal, the sight of demi-goddess was an incredible experience, both frightening and enlighting. Dynean pulsed with all what the Naradians believed in : physical grace, spiritual peace, charm and yet honesty...and so much more that mere words couldn't describe.

Having been nominated only a decade before, the Matriarch could feel the weight of her predecessors on her shoulders. After centuries, she was the one through which the Lady would trully act. Once in the meeting room, the Matriarch remained silent.

Hurler Barrow

"-This is...a true fortress !! Far more fitting for a siege than...hum !! And the ogres who said they had nowhere to take refuge."

So, the Ogres weren't defenseless, after all. Memorial wasn't their only hope and their magic was strong enough to force the Lupines to move ahead of their schedule. When all this would be over, the Elder Sister would have some serious chat with the Ogre leaders. But for now, she had to avoid a bloodshed without losing the trust of either sides.

Maybe this ritual was the one the Ogres had spoken of, the one which was supposed to cloak their very existance. But then, they had said their sorcery alone wasn't enough. And no skilled Spellsinger, being the precious assets they were, went missing. So, this wasn't the protection ritual.

"-Jarek, can you make us...commune again ? So that we may pass through these walls and see clearly what's going on inside ?"

Deep inside, the Sister didn't trusted the visions brought by the Communion. But it was the only way she could probe the Ogres without them noticing. She would need to if she wanted to confront them afterward.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Hradani

The scouts

The large numbers of wolfmen gathering was cause for concern. Runners were sent back to gather more men. As many as could be spared arrived, led by one of the sons of Geros. All in all, almost a 1,000 Hradani and their dogs converged on the area as quickly and stealthily as they could.

The Meeting

The Hradani guards at the meeting were surprised when a figure out of legend was before them. Although they only showed this b a slight widening of the eyes, their heads swam with the stories of childhood.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Children of Uso

Meeting with Dynean

The Councilor also followed quietly, saying nothing, in awe of both his surroundings and their hostess. He glanced over at the other ambassadors, shaking his head slightly. "To think we could have saved the effort of sending out delegations if we'd just waited..." he thought to himself. At one point thought he does ask quietly. "I hope whatever trouble there was in your frontier town was a small matter, and easily handled."

Great Journey and the Saradites

The Children that accompanied the Naradians on their journey also approached the Saradites in time. They are interested in this systems of laws, although some of them seem a bit extreme to the Children.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Well, yes, it is extreme, but if we don't do these things, then other worse things will happen." The Al Makim states. "We can happily teach you these laws if you will reciprocate in some fashion."

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Children of Uso

The Children consider for a time before answering. "We see you know how to grow crops and harvest food. But do you know how to raise animals? We can teach you the basics of raising animals for food as well."
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Naradians

Hurler Burrow

Jarek nodded.

"- We can try."

The group left the road and stopped near a small cave. The spirit talker sat down and asked his apprentice to prepare the ingredients. He then asked the Elder Sister to sit in front of him. When she felt ready, Jarek started the communion.

After leaving her body, the first thing the Sister noticed was the large number of spirits roaming the hills. Then, as she turned her attention to the sky, she noticed a patch of utter darkness right above Hurler Barrow. Dark tendrils extended from this gap, reaching down in the city. Jarek soon joined her and the two walked up the hill. Once inside, they were surprised to find how lightly populated Hurler Barrow really was. Well, if you counted only the living inhabitants. The dead must have outnumbered them five to one. The spirits appeared much like ghostly humanoids, while the living appeared only as dark blurs.

"- See big circular building? It is a temple. Must be ogre sacred city. Here, shadows strong. Death is not far, either. I can smell it."

As the Sister approached the central temple, she felt a force repel her. It was getting more and more difficult for her to continue. But she did, as she knew the answer was just on the other side of those walls. The air was charged with magic.

But it was no use. The two were brutally sent back to their bodies.

Hradani

When the men returned to the site, the lupine armies were gone. However, the scouts estimated that it would be possible to catch up with them by taking another, faster route. It seemed like the Hradani knew the hills better than these wolfmen. Still, they had no idea where the legion was heading.

Back in their homeland, the Hradani caught a druid of the Baradans - one of the few druids to have journeyed to the steppes - trying to steal the samples of slime.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ipphli View Post
    Children of Uso

The Children consider for a time before answering. "We see you know how to grow crops and harvest food. But do you know how to raise animals? We can teach you the basics of raising animals for food as well."
    "That would be wonderful. Thank you and we will teach you these laws."

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnik View Post
    The meeting with Dynean

The following day, the delegates were called to the Great Hall. Barada was the only one to have met the Queen in the North before. All others were completely awed in her presence. The woman was tall and fair. Her sapphire blue skin and silver hair gleamed with a faint light. She was dressed in a long white dress. The delegates felt invigorated around her; her aura was powerful yet soothing. Only the undead from the Crimson Claw felt uncomfortable at her sight.

"Welcome my friends. I am honored to have such esteemed diplomats in my home. I am sorry to have left you waiting for so long... My duty was elsewhere. I hope the majordomo treated you well while I was gone. But now I am here and I will hear all of you. First, I bid Barada, the Aeriefolk, the Naradians and the Children of Uso to follow me for a meeting in the Council Chamber. Then I will hear personal requests. If you wish to talk to me alone, request an audience and I will meet with you during the afternoon. Finally, every delegation will be invited to take part in a great feast tonight, in this hall."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: The first meeting is meant to discuss the state of the alliance. Post your concerns, questions to Dynean or to the other delegations after this.

Armin & Krrth: The Hradani and the Saradites may request a personal audience with the Queen, but not take part in the first meeting. You may post a request even if the meeting is still going on.
    The Meeting

Barada waits for the others to speak their piece before rising.

"First of all, I would like to be the first of my people to greet the newcomers who have joined us. We have brought the Hradani here. We have made bargains with them for defense in exchange for teaching. My people have invited them to join our alliance, but we were wondering if perhaps the Lady would be willing to extend an invitation herself, as she is the one who makes the decisions. I am interested in meeting these Saradites that have been introduced to us. I believe that our allies from the Order of Narade have been working to secure new allies as well, am I right?"

The Baradian Forest

The Baradans remain busy in Barada's abscence. Splittree continues to grow and thrive as a community, and they soon make contact with the Children of Uso themselves. Having met them before at Suncliff, dealings with them are congenial right from the get-go. They notice the unique hunting traditions of the merfolk, and ponder if such techniques could be applied on land. They ask the Children of Uso what they might consider a fair exchange for teaching this to the Baradans.

In the forest, a great miracle comes to pass. The circle of druids Barada has created to rule the Baradans in her abscence notice a group of mandrake plants that seem to have a spark of life in them. The Baradans perform an ancient fertility ritual, bathing the roots in milk, and feeding them drops of blood. The roots soon move, kicking and mewling like babies. The druids are in awe, and continue to tend to the plants, treating them with the love and care they would give their own children. The plants soon learn to speak and walk, and before long, they are a fully grown people. The druids take the newborn race under their wing, christening them "Killoren," an ancient word meaning "children of the forest." They teach the Killoren their ways, and many Killoren take to the Baradan way of life.

The druids then decide that in order to rule the Baradans more effectively, their influence must extend to everywhere the Baradans are. They form a system of government/religion, that sends one representitve from the Great Circle to each Baradan settlement, where they head a smaller circle that governs the settlement, the Great Circle gathering to discuss policies that affect the Baradans as a whole. They studied the ancient secrets of the fey and the wild places of the world. It wasn't long before the Baradans had set up something truly resembling a religion. No longer was it just a small cult surrounding Barada, but a faith for all people in connection with nature. They named the whole the Fellowship of Leaves.

Spoiler
    Show
    Battle: Heal
    Creation - Race: the Killoren
    Expansion: None
    Religion: Convert the killoren
    Technology: Way of the Forests
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Hradani

The scouts were not sure what the wolfmen wanted, but that large an amount of troops meant ill for someone. Scouts would continue to follow the troops, while the rest went though the quicker way. The wolfmen may not mean the Hradani harm, but they did mean someone else a world of hurt. If necessary the Hradani would act to protect the non-combatants.

Homeland

*a clan chief to the captured druid*

So might you be telling me what you need these blasted samples so badly for?

ooc:Archpaladin, the new turn doesn't start until tomorrow.
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-06-29 at 09:42 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hradani homeland

The druid spat on the floor.

"- You couldn't begin to understand what we are doing. You are so primitive..."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Homeland

Aye, primitive we are. I'm also thinking yourself isn't much better. I mean, what "civilized" person would try to steal what they could have just asked for, while in the middle of the steppes, surrounded by a people that make a habit of hunting things down and killing them.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hradani Homeland

The druid sighed.

"- A scout and his dog saw through my magical disguise, for some reason. You'll find their bodies hidden in my tent. I had to act fast. But it doesn't matter. Kill me now. This won't change anything."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Homeland

Kill you or not is up to the Council to judge. What I need to know is this: What won't this change? And why did you kill one of my people? We would have given you the sample if you had told us you needed it and why.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"- If you knew the truth, I'm sure you would kill me without a thought. You just need to know that the world is out of balance. In the last hundred years, something happened...there are too many of you now, and too many that manipulate magicks they don't understand. The Baradans are the first to blame, but they are not the only one who must die in order to restore the balance.

Where there is light, there must also be darkness. Where there is life, there is also death. We, the Circle of Uvithile, are the only ones who understand the sacrifices that must be made. From the Sea of Slimes comes death and rot. We embrace it. The normal cycle of life and death will resume..."

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Homeland

*A look of disgust crosses his face*

So you're one of those. Death comes naturally enough out here. Except within the Clan Sagas, no Hradani lives forever....nor would we want to.

*shaking his head sadly*

You call us barbarians, yet you kill where there is no need. If you wanted slime? Walk up to the shore and take it. We don't care. We never did.

How could you have lived with us all this time and never realized that?

*his expression changes to disappointment*

You say nature is out of balance? Why, because too many people aren't dying? Unless you know some little tidbit that we don't, the number of deaths in the world is still the same: One per person.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"- It would be too long to explain to you the importance of each variable. The situation is much more complex than you imagine.

Of course I know that you don't care about that slime. However, the Baradans may be interested. You have one fact wrong, though; I have not lived with you long. I simply took the shape of this man to study your kind.

It is not about you dying. It is about you being born in the first place. And many other things."

The druid grinned. Now, his magical disguise was fading, and he was revealed to be a monstrous humanoid, its body covered in moss and vines. His face was still vaguely human.
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-06-29 at 12:47 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Homeland

*keeping a smile on his face*

Now there's a face only a mother can love.

*shaking his head again*

I'm guessing you plan on killing me, taking my form, and walking out of here?

*Picking up his spears....some of the first to be made from the Wychwood...he takes a battle stance. His body guards take a station at the door.*

Shall we dance?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Homeland

"- Still, you are wrong. I am powerless right now. My magic doesn't work that way. I can't match your strength nor your skill with a weapon."

The creature walked closer to the chief, extending his arms.

"- Maybe there is something I can do after all. As primitive as you are, we may still be able to arrange something. Tell me, Hradani, what do you wish for? What do your people need the most?"

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Homeland

*interposing the spear between him and the creature*

I'll be thanking you to stay on your side of the spear.

*Cold Smile*

As for what we want, we already have it.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hradani Homeland

"- Is that so? Easily pleased...I see. I guess you can adapt to any situation. You are a strong people. If that is the case, then you might just survive it all. We will do a test. Goodbye."

The creature dissolved before the chief's eyes. He turned into a green, inert mass. A green gas emanated from the blob.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

(Sorry about not being here, I went camping over the weekends, did I miss a turn/what did I miss?)
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Homeland

*staying out of the gas*

I'll tell you the same thing my father told that demon-spawned angel.....right before she died. We survived the wars. We survived the wizards that created us. We even survived the testing of this land.

We'll survive whatever else comes our way.

*very cold smile*

If we don't, we'll be going down fighting to the last Hradani. Which will still be a victory for us.

ooc: No missed turn. Although, I'd recommend getting something up before tomorrow.....
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-06-29 at 02:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Asmodeus View Post
    (Sorry about not being here, I went camping over the weekends, did I miss a turn/what did I miss?)
    ((The Children of Uso are seeking a surface outpost of the Under kingdom to discuss a relic of Uso that is in your hands. It's actually the gift that the Ensi gave the emissaries from the Black Bastion (a jar).))

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The Meeting
    Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Barada waits for the others to speak their piece before rising.

"First of all, I would like to be the first of my people to greet the newcomers who have joined us.

We have brought the Hradani here. We have made bargains with them for defense in exchange for teaching. My people have invited them to join our alliance, but we were wondering if perhaps the Lady would be willing to extend an invitation herself, as she is the one who makes the decisions.

I am interested in meeting these Saradites that have been introduced to us. I believe that our allies from the Order of Narade have been working to secure new allies as well, am I right?"
    The Matriarch nodded, a weak smile on her lips.
    "-That's correct, Bountiful One. The Order makes a point of honor to maintain good and solid relations with all tribes and people. The Saradites are indeed the goal of an expedition we sent South a few years ago."

She cleared her throat before going further.
    "-As for the Hradani, me and my sisters wish to support their membership. Not that we know anything about them but they have some... skills that we need right now. This allows me to warn you, my Lady, of a growing threat. A threat most around this table are already aware of.

The Lupines and the Ogres, two peoples living near our lands, are at war against one another. I don't have the last updates about the situation but the Lupines are about to commit a genocide and we, the Order, have no way to prevent it. We are peaceful and our meager forces, beside zeal, lack everything that make a true warrior. I fear our diplomatic efforts are to fail in this matter. We agreed with the Baradans and the Black Bastion to create a army...however, as our liege, it should be your duty to help us."

Hurler Burrow

"-Damn it !! So close !!"

The Elder Sister turned towards her escort
    "-Go back to our nearest outpost !! Tell everyone to ready themselves !! Unless I succeed, war might be upon us soon. We must be ready to defend those who've laid their lives in our hands !!"

This being said, she turned to Jarek :
    "-Your brothers and these Ogres are both about to cross a line beyond which no peace might be possible. The worst thing is, I don't know who I shall trust. But if this is the biggest stronghold of the Ogres, then hundreds of refugees, maybe thousands, are waiting inside. The massacre will turn against you every single tribe of every single people and race. Do you really think the Lupines can handle this ?"

Without waiting for an answer :
    "-I'll go inside. You go talk to your warlords or whoever is in charge. If I'm not back by sunset, that will means you're right. I'll die trying to slow their ritual. But you must delay the assault until then. Thank you for everything, Jarek."

And she ran, notes of an intense purity raising in the air as she began to chant, using the Spellsong to project empathy toward all listinening. Doing so, she tried to reach the front gates.
    Last edited by Johel; 2009-06-29 at 03:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Meeting

Dynean frowned.

"I have had this sensation that something was wrong since I came back to the palace. I know of the Ogres and Lupines. I would never have thought that they would fight so openly. Skirmishes, maybe. But this? You speak of genocide. This is a serious accusation. However, I can see that you honestly believe this. If you are right, and the children of Aresk Moonfell plan such an horrific act, then we must certainly intervene."

The demigoddess got up and walked to the back of the room, where a scrying crystal was kept. She gazed into it.

Hurler Barrow

Jarek nodded again.

"- Try, I will..."

And he walked down the hill.

Meanwhile, as the Elder Sister arrived at the gate, she felt a strange sensation. Like her mind was fogged. Still, she was able to reach inside her heart and sing beautifully. The gates opened and ten armored ogres came out.

"- What is this? Please tell us how such a thing is possible. This song..."
    "- Never mind the song. Tell us how you found us! Tell us what you are doing alone, on the doorstep of this sacred temple."
    "- It means our spells have all faded...our protections, all gone. The lupines..."
    "- Shut up! She doesn't need to know."
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-06-29 at 05:15 PM.