New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I said medieval (and 1526) so no, not ABR and I'm pretty sure that won't work either, think Avatar the last airbender like accident (he got caught in a storm and his powers kicked in and saved him by freezing him for a century) not awakened Chutulhu and got cursed like (I'm aiming for magic to be rare for the obvious reason that people hated the crap).
    My apologies, I had assumed medieval fantasy. But even if magic is rare, he could still be enchanted. It depends on how rare, and what his powers are. You haven't given us much to work with.

Anyway, this is a comic set in 2026, with a 500 year old character? Could be interesting.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    "My actions displeased the enchantress Columbine, who weaved a spell that trapped me within the realm of dreams. For how long I slumbered, I do not know, but I have awakened at long last."
    How is that not cliché?

Grammar: Should I have used cliché or clichéd?
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2009-06-01 at 11:44 AM.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    How is that not cliché?

Grammar: Should I have used cliché or clichéd?
    "How is that not clichéd" or "How is that not a cliché?" are the correct forms, cliché being a noun, while clichéd is a derived adjective.

And it is fairly cliché. But Keveak only specified alternatives to being frozen, and we have limited options here.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

My apologies, I had assumed medieval fantasy. But even if magic is rare, he could still be enchanted. It depends on how rare, and what his powers are. You haven't given us much to work with.

Anyway, this is a comic set in 2026, with a 500 year old character? Could be interesting.
    Tecnically it's more 2001 but no-one is that specific (mad science might be involved) and her (What? can't I try something new) powers are pretty much low magic with powerful outbursts (she can light a candle or call a book to her by will but stuff (mostly non-lethal) blows up if you scare or anger her) She is also one of the few who can use magic at all (at least of those who's gonna apear in-comic)

I just asked for ideas you know.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

The basic plot reminds me of this comic I found a few years ago. I didn't read a lot because it bored me so...

6. - Top - End - #636
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's a pretty important part, but maybe for a "Not again" joke or something (most likely a filler)
    Awesome, the line might show up in a filler!
    Peace, peace~

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Tecnically it's more 2001 but no-one is that specific (mad science might be involved) and her (What? can't I try something new) powers are pretty much low magic with powerful outbursts (she can light a candle or call a book to her by will but stuff (mostly non-lethal) blows up if you scare or anger her) She is also one of the few who can use magic at all (at least of those who's gonna apear in-comic)

I just asked for ideas you know.
    Then just have her have been in moral peril, and her magic sent her forwards as a reflex action. It could either have sent her almost 500 years forwards by accident, or perhaps it took 500 years for whatever was threatening her to die away.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Then just have her have been in moral peril, and her magic sent her forwards as a reflex action. It could either have sent her almost 500 years forwards by accident, or perhaps it took 500 years for whatever was threatening her to die away.
    I think her powers freezing her down is more plausible than time-travel.. Which sounds powerful enough to just kill them instead of wasting energy (it's basically just humans anyway) That and there's other results from it that work best with the frozen-style thing (I was hoping for an equivalent of the freezing thing, I just can't remember another non-lethal preserving method) But thanks for the help anyway

EDIT:
    @Troll: The difference between that and mine is that it was involuntary AND made stuff worse (well not for her but still) plus not that early.
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-06-01 at 02:01 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

(I was hoping for an equivalent of the freezing thing, I just can't remember another non-lethal preserving method) But thanks for the help anyway
    Technically, cryonics isn't generally non-lethal. It's not been proven to work for any sustained time period of useful length, due to problems with chilling the entirety of the body simultaneously. Then the body must be thawed evenly as well, making resuscitation almost impossible. Most attempts at cryonics with modern technology bet on technology advancing to the level where the person can be brought back safely while the person is frozen.

I think a breach in the space time continuum could work, or you could go for an obviously magical transitional state, like turning to stone as a statue.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Technically, cryonics isn't generally non-lethal. It's not been proven to work for any sustained time period of useful length, due to problems with chilling the entirety of the body simultaneously. Then the body must be thawed evenly as well, making resuscitation almost impossible. Most attempts at cryonics with modern technology bet on technology advancing to the level where the person can be brought back safely while the person is frozen.

I think a breach in the space time continuum could work, or you could go for an obviously magical transitional state, like turning to stone as a statue.
    It was non-lethal enough (I assumed magic could stabilise it or I could lampshade it) and I thought of petrification too (How would she get back to normal is a major problem)
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-06-01 at 02:21 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Awesome comic, skimmer, pure undilluted awesome!

I will be drawing follow-up very soon... so don't go too far with it, ok? I will also be drawing kind of poster for FI with my char on it

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

I too, shall make an FI poster. Eventually. After I make the response to Calamity's comic.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

It was non-lethal enough (I assumed magic could stabilise it or I could lampshade it) and I thought of petrification too (How would she get back to normal is a major problem)
    The trouble is, the thawing out can be what kills the subject, if not done evenly. You'd need to include magic, or advanced technology, at that point, which would apply to a petrified subject as well (or a soft/golden needle...).

14. - Top - End - #644
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    I will be drawing follow-up very soon... so don't go too far with it, ok?
    Don't worry, no comics from me for atleast 3 days, I have some final exams to do....

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    I will also be drawing kind of poster for FI with my char on it
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    I too, shall make an FI poster. Eventually. After I make the response to Calamity's comic.
    Hooray! I hope others shall join this as well
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The trouble is, the thawing out can be what kills the subject, if not done evenly. You'd need to include magic, or advanced technology, at that point, which would apply to a petrified subject as well (or a soft/golden needle...).
    Magic is the reason to it so I hardly see the problem (they did the same thing on Avatar even though it has nothing to do with bending that he ain't frozen) and petrification is starting to sound like a good idea.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Halfling in the Playground

Hey, I'm back! Wow... I can't believe that there is a whole new thread...

Ah well, I come bringing more kills!

(Hmm... who should I kill next... and with what... )
    Last edited by InvaderGir; 2009-06-01 at 03:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

I LAWL'd Gir.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Halfling in the Playground

Yeah, The beavers were going to be lightbeavers, but I decided against it.

But now I know who I am going to kill... *(Insert evil laugh here)*

19. - Top - End - #649
    Orc in the Playground

*waves hands in air*

Oooooh! Pick me!

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.
    Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #650
    Banned

Horrible news everyone! Unless I can find a stray USB all of my templates will be gone!

So when I get back in the game expect and art upgrade or downgrade.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Than the death of a hero. With an A. Otherwise. Cool.
    Fixed. And it's actually supposed to be death of the hero. As in all heroes.

Thanks, dipweed.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #652
    Firbolg in the Playground

Rawr. Corrected by 15 year old.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Rawr. Corrected by 15 year old.
    15-year-old-five!
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

24. - Top - End - #654
    Barbarian in the Playground

Good comic Q! You really should do more.
    Peace, peace~

25. - Top - End - #655
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    15-year-old-five!

WACHOW!

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

I was going to do a poster in my drawn comic style but got carried away. Sorry!

27. - Top - End - #657
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    15-year-old-five!
    Hellz yeah!

BAM!

What? 15 is the hip age these days!
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

New TJH up. Tiny Strikes again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    New TJH up. Tiny Strikes again!
    Not to nitpick or anything, but shouldn't reversing have caused her to fall forwards?

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xartyve2 View Post
    Horrible news everyone! Unless I can find a stray USB all of my templates will be gone!

So when I get back in the game expect and art upgrade or downgrade.
    Is it possible to e-mail yourself the Inkscape svg's?