New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k III - Hats for the Hat Throne

Canoness, Blessed Weapon(Which is actually plus 2 strength), Rosarius, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs- 106

1 Mistress, 11 Sisters Repentia- 230

19 Battle Sisters, 2 Meltaguns, Veteran Superior-254

19 Battle Sisters, 2 Meltaguns, Veteran Superior-254

Exorcist-135

The Canoness literally can't join the Sisters Repentia. One of their rules is that characters can't join the unit.
    Last edited by Selrahc; 2009-08-18 at 04:57 AM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Blessed Weapon is +2 Strength Power Weapon, thank you very much. But needs two hands to use. Tool up for 'Living Saint'. Have you got the Witch Hunters Codex?
    Canonness' rock around with 2+ Invulnerable (although it eats faith) and a Jump Pack, with Strength 5 Power Weapon attacks. Litanies of Faith and Book of St. Lucius. A Mantle is handy as well. All that comes in at under 150 points IIRC...Away from Codex.

If you're afraid of armour, strap an Inferno Pistol (read; Melta Pistol) to your Cannoness with Jump Pack. Although Melta Bombs are cheaper.

Inquisitors can be taken as Elites. But, no. You're only allowed the Land Raiders in your Codex. No Redeemers.

Sisters...Meltas are useless unless you're up close. Get Rhinos. Sisters can pack two special weapons, so, you can double up on Meltaguns. If you don't have Rhinos, go for double Storm Bolters. Acts of Faith can get them Rending. 20-woman squad with three Storm Bolters (the Superior has one too) makes messes. 'Drive-by' squads do the same, except have Rhinos with two Storm Bolters.
    ...5 Storm Bolters and 7 Bolters is scary for most Infantry. Marines not withstanding.

The only Heavy Weapon Sisters can take are Heavy Flamers. Again, need a Rhino to make any use out of them.

Sisters (and Space Marines, for that matter) don't strictly need Heavy Bolters. See above.

Heavy Bolters are reserved for Celestians, Retributors and Immolators. As a predominantly close combat unit, Celestians should not take Heavy Bolters anyway. Speaking of Celestians; they aren't that great. They have a sweet rule that lets them hit on 3+...Except against Independent Characters (yes, even if they have joined a unit) and Monstrous Creatures. Just about everyone else has WS 3 (excluding Marines) so you'll be hitting on 3s anyway.
    Pass on the Celestians. You're missing Fast.

Strap a Jump Pack to your Canoness (or a pair of Wings if you're feeling Angelic...See Seraphim next...But, I don't understand it, since that would make a Canoness a mutant and her Order would be forced to burn her...) and grab some Seraphim who have access to Inferno Weaponry and Melta Bombs. Since Seraphim also have two pistols (twin-linked Inferno Pistols...Goodbye Armour), that gives them an Extra Attack which, makes them better in Combat than Celestians.
    Did I mention that Seraphim give +1 Leadership to surrounding units for looking like Angels?

Dominion Squads are awesome. Drop your Meltas on your regular sisters squads (and pack more Storm Bolters and Flamers), and start packing four meltas on your Dominions. With an Immolator, who also has a Melta. Although, with a single-role unit like that, you're woefully unprotected against not-Marine Infantry. Best to slap on Heavy Bolters or the good ol' reliable Death-Flamer for your Dominion Immolator.
    (Dominions must be mounted in a Rhino or Immolator).

Rule 1 of Sisters; Never too many Exorcists. Unless you're against Orks, Eldar, Guard or Tyranid. Then, swap 'em for Retributors and kit out with four Heavy Bolters. I fully support more Exorcists. Penitent Engines are fun. But you need a Priest in your army. Which, isn't a bad thing, don't get me wrong, since a Priest in a Repentia unit is not only fluffy, but makes them awesome.

...NO! Canonnesses can not join Repentia. Repentia are nutters. No-one can lead them except for Priests.

EDIT: Ninja'd on the Blessed Weapon and the Repentia.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-08-18 at 05:19 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Just about everyone else has WS 3 (excluding Marines) so you'll be hitting on 3s anyway.
    Yeah... just about everyone except for Marines, Necrons, Kroot, Chaos Space Marines, Daemons, Dark Eldar, Ogryns, Aspect Warriors, Storm Guardians, Grey Knights, Orks, Hormagaunts and probably a few dozen other units...

Not quite sure what you're getting at here really. WS 4 is very far from uncommon. In fact I'd wager that more units have WS4 or higher than don't.

Sure, it's kind of a pointless rule if you're up against Tau or Imperial Guard the whole time, but against the majority of enemies it will be a rather nice edge in combat.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Inquisitors can be taken as Elites. But, no. You're only allowed the Land Raiders in your Codex. No Redeemers.
    Unless you ask your opponent really nicely, of course. I, for one, wouldn't object to a Witchunter army using a Land Raider Redeemer so long as they told me about it before the game started and paid all the correct costs.

I, however, do not represent every gamer you might come across. Just thought I'd mention it though, as it's very rare to come across someone who will out-and-out refuse such a reasonable (and "in character") request. And to be fair, those that do? They're the sort of people you don't want to play against anyway

Alternatively... Witchunters is a particularly rare army to see (I believe they're the 3rd rarest after Dark Eldar and Daemonhunters, but I could be wrong) so if you take a Redeemer and don't mention it, I doubt most people would notice...
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    Yeah... just about everyone except for Marines, Necrons, Kroot, Chaos Space Marines, Daemons, Dark Eldar, Ogryns, Aspect Warriors, Storm Guardians, Grey Knights, Orks, Hormagaunts and probably a few dozen other units...
    ...I had no idea WS 4 (although, some of those are MEQs, and when I say 'Marines' I mean Chaos and GKs too) was so common. And Ogryns are junk even if they do have WS 4. Why did they even get a mention?
    (Just note; I do have a unit of Ogryn in my army...And they have only seen table-time twice).

Maybe it hasn't occured to me to get into Assault since my guardsmen are hitting on 4s against most things anyway. Somewhere I just assumed my Guardsmen were just as good as everything else. How I actually believed that, I don't know.

...Still, I stand by Seraphim > Celestians. Even if my Holy Hatred views are somewhat misplaced (although not working on anything with the Independent Character {even when part of a unit} rule or Monstrous Creatures takes some of the punch out of it). Celestians are a pretty bad Assault unit when it comes down to it. Sure, you might hit, but you're still at Strength 3 and you only have one attack.
    Again, could be my play-style. No-one (on this board, at least) seems to play the way I do...

...That being said, Seraphim do cost more points, but, don't need to take a Rhino/Immolator.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-08-18 at 06:40 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm wondering if an army-list like this would be workable:
    Spoiler
    Show

HQ: Command Squad:50 points
    3x Meltagun
    Voxcaster
    Camocloaks
    Bodyguard
    Chimera with a turret Heavy Bolter:
    Total: 175

Elite: Guardsman Marbo

Troops:
    Veteran Squad
    3x Meltagun
    Voxcaster
    Forward Sentries
    Chimera with a turret Heavy Bolter
    Total 190

Veteran Squad
    3x Plasmagun
    Voxcaster
    Forward Sentries
    Total 205

Veteran Squad
    3x Plasmagun
    Voxcaster
    Forward Sentries
    Total 205

Heavy Support:
    2x Leman Russ with Heavy Bolter sponsons: 340
    2x Leman Russ Vanquisher with Heavy Bolter Sponson: 350

I'm thinking that it could use more tanks, but cutting an infantry-squad out would make them too precious.
    Last edited by Penguinizer; 2009-08-18 at 07:32 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Bugbear in the Playground

Concerning space crusade. From what i have heard, but that’s on the internet so, the ‘limited’ run will be rather large. In fact most board games that get a run with that number never need a reprint according to people on boardgamegeek.com It might be wrong, but they were right it was space hulk as well so.

Also, epic 40K is still running and will probably be re released, since forgeworld has stopped producing it to re direct buying of it to GWitself. It is also often praised as the most tactical wargame GW ever made, but I don’t know, never plaid it.

Anyhow, I think I’m going to buy space hulk. Why? Well if you were to buy only the umber of marines included it would cost more. And then there is also the nids and the board pieces as well. It’s a bargain by warhammer standards.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    I'm thinking that it could use more tanks, but cutting an infantry-squad out would make them too precious.
    One; Take out points cost for individual items. GW gets really pissed about that. No. Really. SUPER pissed.
    Two; I count eight tanks. Four of them being Leman Russes. It's more than enough tanks.

If anything, you need more Veteran squads. They'll die like flies if you're not careful with them, and you need Troops to win games these days.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Concerning space crusade. From what i have heard, but that’s on the internet so, the ‘limited’ run will be rather large. In fact most board games that get a run with that number never need a reprint according to people on boardgamegeek.com It might be wrong, but they were right it was space hulk as well so.

Also, epic 40K is still running and will probably be re released, since forgeworld has stopped producing it to re direct buying of it to GWitself. It is also often praised as the most tactical wargame GW ever made, but I don’t know, never plaid it.

Anyhow, I think I’m going to buy space hulk. Why? Well if you were to buy only the umber of marines included it would cost more. And then there is also the nids and the board pieces as well. It’s a bargain by warhammer standards.
    It's the 20th anniversary of the original Space Hulk, so when they say limited I do believe them. I saw my local GW's copy today and it was a thing of beauty and awesomeness. I've ordered two sets
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Not prying at all - read all about them here: http://collegiatitanica.blogspot.com...d-archive.html
    Ah, yes. The Rainbow Warriors.

Have you seen this version of them?

(They're near the bottom)
    Never eat French fish. They're poisson.

Avatar by Elder Tsofu. May he forever be as awesome as he is when I typed this.

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    It's the 20th anniversary of the original Space Hulk, so when they say limited I do believe them. I saw my local GW's copy today and it was a thing of beauty and awesomeness. I've ordered two sets
    I swear I read it was one order per person.

@^ That is a awesome site. Thanks.
    Last edited by YPU; 2009-08-18 at 02:57 PM.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

-C. S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #432

Please elucidate me, what's the purpose of taking a redeemer over the other land raider versions? It's range is quite limited if I'm not mistaken. The regular LR and the crusader one always seemed quite superior to me.

Besides the whole BURN THEM spirit of course.

Sisters...Meltas are useless unless you're up close. Get Rhinos. Sisters can pack two special weapons, so, you can double up on Meltaguns. If you don't have Rhinos, go for double Storm Bolters. Acts of Faith can get them Rending. 20-woman squad with three Storm Bolters (the Superior has one too) makes messes. 'Drive-by' squads do the same, except have Rhinos with two Storm Bolters.
    ...5 Storm Bolters and 7 Bolters is scary for most Infantry. Marines not withstanding.
    Allow me to disagree. Infantry can run now, wich means sisters on foot can cover ground that much faster. Yes they'll take some loses along the way, but sisters are also the cheapest powered armored infantry out there, so geting moar sisters to make up for the losses instead of rhinos works relatively well now.

See Seraphim next...But, I don't understand it, since that would make a Canoness a mutant and her Order would be forced to burn her...)
    Not if the wings were built by the adeptus mechanicus bio-engineers!

and grab some Seraphim who have access to Inferno Weaponry and Melta Bombs. Since Seraphim also have two pistols (twin-linked Inferno Pistols...Goodbye Armour), that gives them an Extra Attack which, makes them better in Combat than Celestians.
    Did I mention that Seraphim give +1 Leadership to surrounding units for looking like Angels?
    Indeed, seraphims rock like no other jump pack infantry out there.

Rule 1 of Sisters; Never too many Exorcists. Unless you're against Orks, Eldar, Guard or Tyranid. Then, swap 'em for Retributors and kit out with four Heavy Bolters. I fully support more Exorcists.
    Exorcist:when you want to kill every last MEQ and vehicle in the room. Acept no substitutes.

...NO! Canonnesses can not join Repentia. Repentia are nutters. No-one can lead them except for Priests.
    I would say that repentia just aren't that great(altough they indeed look awesome). Kinda fragile, and completely out of control, striking at iniative 1, they're screaming to be slaughtered before they land a single hit.

13. - Top - End - #433

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Please elucidate me, what's the purpose of taking a redeemer over the other land raider versions? It's range is quite limited if I'm not mistaken. The regular LR and the crusader one always seemed quite superior to me.

Besides the whole BURN THEM spirit of course.
    I believe that you have just answered your own question, sir

Admittedly, I agree with you - Sisters of Battle are encouraged to take so many short-ranged Flamers and Melta weapons that a couple of longer-ranged lascannons would be a lot more useful. Still, I fully support any army that sticks to it's theme like that
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

So tomorow I'm going to play my first game against a friend of mine, 850 points max, because well, that was what I could get it to, against his Imperial Guard army. Any tips? I know he uses two troops, to heavy, and one HQ, while I use 2 Tactical Space Marines, 1 Space marine captain, Dreadnought, and a squad of five terminators, I guess I sould just stick him with one of the Tactical squads, not many other options? Well, wish me luck.
    I can tell you so much that I honestly have no idea what to put in a signature here..

English is not my native, just so you don't jugde me to harsh

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KilltheToy View Post
    Ah, yes. The Rainbow Warriors.

Have you seen this version of them?

(They're near the bottom)

I have indeed - while I am using a slight central American bent, it is nowhere near as pronounced and... well, you already have the link to expalin that

Jinura - Target his HQs if you can, be they Company Command Squads or Platoon Command Squads (which are technically part of his troops). They can issue special orders to make his guys shoot better, which is never a good thing.

Get the dreadnought close fast, run when you can, and either Multi-melta his tanks then assault them, or assault his infantry as most of them will have a very hard time killing it (and when in assault he can't shoot it). Might be a good idea to deep strike the Terminators, but you may want to leave that for a later game to save on rules.

Other than that take it easy, keep the rule book handy and have fun :)
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

Get Dreadnought close fast, got that. I don't think he uses command squad. But we agreed to somewhat play it as a " get to learn the rules game "
    I can tell you so much that I honestly have no idea what to put in a signature here..

17. - Top - End - #437
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jinura View Post
    Get Dreadnought close fast, got that. I don't think he uses command squad. But we agreed to somewhat play it as a " get to learn the rules game "
    And if you haven't, get a Heavy Flamer for the Dreadnought. In my experience, it out-preforms the Bolter 99% of the time, and it's only a 10 point upgrade.

Edit: And oh, have fun and good luck, of course!
    Last edited by Narazil; 2009-08-19 at 03:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Orc in the Playground

Now what can I say, that went worse than I would ever expect. My dreadnought got hit by his tank in round 2, and then it exploded, my deep strike of my terminators was to bad to be true... And now I see how pwnass a tank is.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately marines are pretty sucktastic at lower points due to a minimum 100pts for an HQ and not being able to afford transports. Marines on foot assaulting guard would be in for a rough time regardless of points size.

If you had been at 1000pts you could have added two rhinos, a drop pod for the dread and have 50pts or so change. That would have allowed you to close alot faster and safer (thanks to smoke launchers - did you use them on your dread?), and kill him in assault.

Facing a Leman Russ (I assume) at 850pts would be pretty rough - maybe ask to proxy some transports next game?
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, but the thing is the money involved, so I think I should get more units before going into the whole rhino/drop pod thing, thinking of a tank of sorts, or some bikes, or some snipers, or the librarian special character thing.. xD But only one at a month I would say, compared to my earnings for my paper route. But which one would you say.

21. - Top - End - #441

Yeah, but the thing is the money involved, so I think I should get more units before going into the whole rhino/drop pod thing, thinking of a tank of sorts, or some bikes, or some snipers, or the librarian special character thing.. xD But only one at a month I would say, compared to my earnings for my paper route. But which one would you say.
    Really, at 2 full Tactical Squads, 5 Terminators, a Captain, and a Dreadnought you've got a pretty strong core. I think the best way to go might just be Rhinos for transport. Those things really are valuable to a Space Marine (or, in my case, Traitor Marine) force.

Barring that, I think maybe Scout snipers. Some long range firepower can't hurt.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Orc in the Playground

So we had another match today, went way better, got one of my squads inside a small building where more or less only the missile launcher did anything, got my other squad inside a large building ( with my captain ) which did a lot of harm against his 4-5 squads of various stuff ( including a tank ). My dreadnought got immobilised pretty fast, but killed two of his one tanks sponson weapons with it. But getting a whirlwind tank thingy I think, that or a rhino.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rhinos are pure goodness, you can never go wrong with one. Plus, they're pretty fun to paint!

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

If you buy a Whirlwind and don't stick down the missile launcher mounting plate you can swap it with the Rhino's doors to make the kit do double duty :)
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

25. - Top - End - #445

And that way you can see if rino's work as wel for you as they do for others.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

-C. S. Lewis

26. - Top - End - #446
    Orc in the Playground

So you say if I don't glue it fast, I can just shift? Or was it something else.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Chaos gets macross missle massacre devices on their rhinos. theyre twin linked!

on a slightly more serious note, how does one counter all these tanks i see the IG fielding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

28. - Top - End - #448

So you say if I don't glue it fast, I can just shift? Or was it something else.
    Yeah. The Whirlwind, Rhino, Predator, Vindicator, and Razorback all share the same general body (though the Predator has sponson guns and the Vindicator has an extra armored hull) and they all come with basically the same pieces. Between the Whirlwind, Rhino, and Razorback the only difference is the Razorback and Whirlwind have turrets on top. The set should come with the pieces so that you can put the turret together, not glue it onto the chassis (it should stick well enough anyway), and when you want to use it as a Rhino you can just switch the bit out for the top doors of the Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Chaos gets macross missle massacre devices on their rhinos. theyre twin linked!
    ...and Land Raiders, and Predators, and Vindicators...

Hell, I think we can even put one on a Dreadnought...
    Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2009-08-21 at 01:10 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

To add to what Christo said the Whirlwind launcher mounts to a plate that fits in the same spot as the Rhino's double top doors - this is the part you don't want to stick down.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    on a slightly more serious note, how does one counter all these tanks i see the IG fielding?
    Well it depends on what else they have and what you have.
    Tanks can't win any objective based game, so if they have a lot of tanks thats going to mean they don't have many troops, so just kill what troops they do have at the best they can hope for is a draw. Since tanks are rather costly they have to spend a lot of points to field a lot of them.

The Leman Russ is fairly durable, but most of their other tanks can be taken down pretty easy with mid sized heavy weapons (str6-7 ones, not just the 9-10s and meltas needed for the heavy stuff).

Almost every one of their tanks has 10 armor in the rear, so anything str4 in close combat with the tank can make it useless if not destroy it right away.