New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k III - Hats for the Hat Throne

Ok, something I've planned on posting for awhile: What are your opinions for the best unit in each "role" of the game. Divide it up however you want (CC in general? CC vs Horde, CC vs MEQs? Shooting? Long Range shooting? Anti-tank shooting?) and maybe come up with more... theoretical... esoteric... gah, I can't come up with the right word... examples: Core troop, harrying, rapid-response, gun-line. You get the point.

Basically, just name units you find to be exceptional at their roles, especially compared to other armies parallel units (if existent). GIVE A REASON! Your reason for naming a unit could be the same someone else doesn't like it.

For example, best back-bone infantry squad. Which unit (generally Troop choice) is the best core unit, general sort of "This is the core of the army" unit.

Now, depending on how I look at it, I see two different choices. If I look at it as "which unit has the best synchronicity (for lack of a better word) with the rest of the army," like, which works with the rest of their army the best... probably Guardsmen, maybe Ork Boyz. The guardsmen can lend a crapload of lasgun shots, and a few heavy/special shots, to help their more specialized units bring a target down.

Dire Avengers and Fire Warriors I considered, but... well, they do make good core troops, but they are both also kind of specialized.

On the other hand, I could look at it as, "Which one has the flexibility and toughness to survive even on it's own." Under those criteria, the Guardsmen fail. You can never seriously depend on one Guardsmen squad (or even platoon, really) to hold or take a position that you had in mind for them to do, their strength (in my eyes, I should state that everything here I am fully aware is just my opinion) is supporting the tougher troops with something, or just by having enough troops that you can overlap goals. Under this idea, the clear winner is Tactical Marines. Give Tactical Marines a mission, and there is generally a good chance they are at least capable of it. Tough, special morale rules (And They Shall Know No Fear), good mix of weaponry... good core army choice.

On another note, I'd say that if your choice for a position is an Eldar Aspect, maybe come up with a 2nd place unit too, as Eldar Aspects were pretty much made to be awesome at one job.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    I would like to point out that the Stormlord has a transport capacity, 20 fire points, and can fire that Sonuvabitch twice if it doesnt move. (and with that range, why wouldnt you?)
    Because of the transport capacity? Firing a crap gun twice doesn't make it good, it makes it more crap as it is multiplied in its suckitude.

In the superheavy category there are just too many vehicles that do the same job better. The Banehammer has a transport capacity, 7" blast weapon, and is 50 pts cheaper. Sure it can only carry 25 guys, but at moving 6" per turn max they're both rubbish as transports.

One option is to load up the passenger bay with heavy weapons teams and the like to operate as a mobile gunbase, but that just sends the points through the roof. 20 Guard Heavy Weapons teams (probably the best use of space for dakka - and has to be 18 teams due to them coming in threes) would cost 450pts for heavy bolters, 420 for missile launchers and 630 for lascannons. You could buy a whole extra superheavy for that.

The 7" blast is higher Str (8), same AP and can hit multiple units at once. It also has a nifty earthshock feature to slow down horde armies. Being a massive blast the low BS doesn't matter too much - range is the same too.

Whilst the VMB is a good gun based on its numbers, but when compared to titan grade weapons like the twin turbolasers, plasma blastgun and even inferno cannon it is terrible. All the other Shadowsword hull varients have better guns, and are cheaper.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Imperial Guard, 2500 Points. Discuss. See why I don't use (read; 'need') Veterans?

Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    Company Command Squad				240
    Medi-Pack, Regimental Standard, Vox-Caster, Plasmagun
    Master of Ordnance, Two Bodyguards
    Chimera with Extra Armour

Lord Commissar					 80
    Power Weapon

Munitorum Priest				 60
    Eviscerator

Munitorum Priest				 60
    Eviscerator

Storm Trooper Squad Alpha			185
    Ten Storm Troopers, Sergeant with Power Weapon
    Two Meltaguns

Storm Trooper Squad Beta			185
    Ten Storm Troopers, Sergeant with Power Weapon
    Two Meltaguns

Ratling Squad					100
    Ten Ratlings

Infantry Platoon Alpha				520
    Platoon Command Squad
    Vox-Caster, Three Grenade Launchers

Infantry Squad Alpha-1
    Plasmagun, Vox-Caster, Lascannon

Infantry Squad Alpha-2

Infantry Squad Alpha-3
    Plasmagun, Vox-Caster, Autocannon

Infantry Squad Alpha-4

Infantry Squad Alpha-5
    Grenade Launcher, Vox-Caster, Heavy Bolter

Heavy Weapon Team Alpha-1			 

Infantry Platoon Beta				520
    Platoon Command Squad

Infantry Squad Beta-1

Infantry Squad Beta-2

Infantry Squad Beta-3

Infantry Squad Beta-4

Infantry Squad Beta-5
    Grenade Launcher, Vox-Caster, Heavy Bolter

Heavy Weapon Team Beta-1

Infantry Platoon Gamma				550
    Platoon Command Squad
    Chimera with Extra Armour

Infantry Squad Gamma-1
    Commissar with Power Weapon, Sergeant with Power Weapon
    Vox-Caster, Grenade Launcher
    Infantry Squad Gamma-2
    Sergeant with Power Weapon, Grenade Launcher
    Infantry Squad Gamma-3
    Combine Squads

Infantry Squad Gamma-4
    Commissar with Power Weapon, Sergeant with Power Weapon
    Vox-Caster, Grenade Launcher
    Infantry Squad Gamma-5
    Combine Squads
    Re-reading through, I thought it might be easy to miss my Mortar teams in Platoons Alpha and Beta. So this is a reminder.
    Since nobody has mentioned my list yet; Am I to assume that nobody has any complaints and that my list is perfect?
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Since nobody has mentioned my list yet; Am I to assume that nobody has any complaints and that my list is perfect?
    Try tl:dr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's... very different from howI would play IG.

One thing, though. You do realize that your chimeras will be the target of every Anti-tank weapon the enemy has, right? Which makes it somewhat doubtful that they'll really protect the command squads all that well.
    GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingScanian View Post
    It's... very different from how I would play IG.
    Is that positive or negative? Care to elaborate?

I was considering dropping the third Infantry (Assault) Platoon, and therefore both priests and Lord Commissar for a squadron of Leman Russes and a Vendetta.

One thing, though. You do realize that your chimeras will be the target of every Anti-tank weapon the enemy has, right?
    That's the plan.
    After deployment, the Chimeras basically run around the battlefield blocking Line of Sight or forcing bottlenecks. Very rarely will commands actually live in the Chimeras I've bought for them.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-08-07 at 04:36 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

I’ll be going up against a lot of orks mostly it would seem so I’m going to try and build my marine force with that in mind. Any good suggestions for me? I’m mostly pondering RL’s vs heavy bolters. For the tacticals. Flamers would seem to be the no brainer here.
    So what I’m going with right now,

1000pts
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Tactical squad
    full
    Heavy bolter
    flamer

2nd Tactical squad
    full
    Heavy bolter
    Flamer

3rd Tactical squad
    full
    Missile launcher
    Plasma gun

Dreadnought 125
    Heavy flamer
    Assault canon

5 Terminator 200
    Assault canon 30

Captain 125
    Power fist
    Bolter

I had a vindicator and a 5 man scout squad last time but those four sniper shots plus the one ML doesn’t really cut it. And the vindicator simple sucked at this scale, I think I will bring it back at bigger games tough.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Neither being FlyingScanian nor even an IG player, but I strongly suspect he is referring to the total lack of tanks and artillery to back your infantry up.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    I’ll be going up against a lot of orks mostly it would seem so I’m going to try and build my marine force with that in mind. Any good suggestions for me? I’m mostly pondering RL’s vs heavy bolters. For the tacticals. Flamers would seem to be the no brainer here.
    So what I’m going with right now,

1000pts
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Tactical squad
    full
    Heavy bolter
    flamer

2nd Tactical squad
    full
    Heavy bolter
    Flamer

3rd Tactical squad
    full
    Missile launcher
    Plasma gun

Dreadnought 125
    Heavy flamer
    Assault canon

5 Terminator 200
    Assault canon 30

Captain 125
    Power fist
    Bolter

I had a vindicator and a 5 man scout squad last time but those four sniper shots plus the one ML doesn’t really cut it. And the vindicator simple sucked at this scale, I think I will bring it back at bigger games tough.
    It's okay, but HB's aren't really all too good. I'd replace them with ML for anti-horde and anti-vehicle goodiness.

Also, the 5 Terminators will be roughed up bad, I'd drop them and throw in another Dreadnought. Also, Drop Pods are your friend against horde armies. If they're bunched real' good, you Drop Pod right next to them with your Heavy Flamers and burn them to cinders. Same's true for multi-meltas and vehicles.
    Also, why the Plasma Cannon?
    I'd say drop Plas Can, drop Termies, get another Dread and get Drop Pods for both of them.
    Captain's Power Fist might be a bit wasted, too. He won't stand a chance against a gazillion attacks in CC with orks, and he strikes at I1.

10. - Top - End - #220

Mount up the stormtroopers and charge the enemy lines. Other wise you'll be using them to take out transports... that are already in your lines.

Also I've never been a fan of power weapons in the hands of guard officers. Sure any hits get no armor saves but let's face it against most enemies you're already going last and you're only going to wound 1 out of every 3 attacks. For just a few points more you can have them wielding power fists and being a legit risk to any enemy on the field. The sergants probably can't take them but try seeing if you can upgrade the commissars with them.

Other than that you seem to have plenty of troop and tank killing potential.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Your dreadnought needs extra armour - if stunned it can still assault, and will generally tear things a new hole.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

So what I’m going with right now...
    I too think the Terminators could be replaced, though I'd go for a Devastator Squad. To win against Orks they need to be stopped before they can assault, which means as many heavy weapons as possible!

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

13. - Top - End - #223

Team of 5 termies did rather well last time, and that was without assault cannon. GW seems to advice HB over ML against orks specifically, but I suppose then I’ll switch them back to ML’s the idea with the plasma was to hang back with that unit and mostly shoot, the plasma gun is because it’s the most shooty of the special weapons, tough I suppose there might be better things to do with those points.

Another dread I could do, but it will be a multi-melta dccw one from black reach.
    Drop pods I don’t have any ATM, but if they are that useful I might just buy them next time.

The power fist is mostly because I’m currently repainting my Marines to crimson fists. And really you cant have a fist marine without a power first can you now. If I can spare the points he should also have a aux grenade launcher and storm bolter.

Last time I had a craftblade on my commander and had him in a full tactical squad, cc against a nob group with warboss actually went my way.

Oh and I do everything WYSIYG on this army, just my stick here.

EDIT: Anybody know if Pedro Kantor is worth it in any case?

The one thing his chapter special rule made me thing of was sternguard in drop pod, two heavy flamers, two combi flamers and a power weapon n pistol. Great for late game objective cleaning and capturing against hordes.
    Last edited by YPU; 2009-08-07 at 09:58 AM.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

-C. S. Lewis

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote for Pedro - he's cheap, gives Stubborn (argualbly better than Combat Tactics), makes Sternguard scoring, and is a living Chapter Banner in addition to all his wargear.

His downsides are as a Chapter Master he can't take a command squad for Feel No Pain, and he doesn't have Eternal Warrior. Keep him in a squad for some meatshields and he should be fine though.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Just that you don't have any heavy armour, instead relying on masses of infantry... while all my proposed lists contains AT LEAST 2 Russes and 3 (or 4) Chimeras. This means that I can't realy come with advice, since my playstyle is vastly different.

I was considering dropping the third Infantry (Assault) Platoon, and therefore both priests and Lord Commissar for a squadron of Leman Russes and a Vendetta.
    Now, this sounds more like my idea of an army

[/quote]That's the plan.
    After deployment, the Chimeras basically run around the battlefield blocking Line of Sight or forcing bottlenecks. Very rarely will commands actually live in the Chimeras I've bought for them.[/QUOTE]

But what about all those anti-tank squads that suddenly don't have any "real" targets? Crashing chimeras are still better than double-insta-deathing a guardsman (or whatever you could call it with a Lascannon vs a GEq).

The one thing his chapter special rule made me thing of was sternguard in drop pod, two heavy flamers, two combi flamers and a power weapon n pistol. Great for late game objective cleaning and capturing against hordes.
    Spontaneously, no. If you take Sternguard, you do it for their special bolter ammo. And since you're already paying a premium for this, why waste it by exchanging that bolter for something else?
    GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

16. - Top - End - #226

Ooh, good point there.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

-C. S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Crashing chimeras are still better than double-insta-deathing a guardsman (or whatever you could call it with a Lascannon vs a GEq).
    "vaporising"?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #228

It rips him out of time and space, preemptively taking him from existence, erasing him from history.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Name_Here View Post
    Mount up the stormtroopers and charge the enemy lines. Other wise you'll be using them to take out transports... that are already in your lines.
    Infiltrate/Deep Strike is my friend.

Also I've never been a fan of power weapons in the hands of guard officers. Sure any hits get no armor saves but let's face it against most enemies you're already going last and you're only going to wound 1 out of every 3 attacks. For just a few points more you can have them wielding power fists and being a legit risk to any enemy on the field. The sergants probably can't take them but try seeing if you can upgrade the commissars with them.
    But none of my Officers have Power Weapons? I don't want my Officers anywhere near combat.

None of the power weapons in my list can be upgraded to Power Fists (I was checking that as I wrote the list; Give me some credit ) with the one exception of the Lord Commissar - who I'm not even sure I want in the first place.

Originally posted by FlyingScanian
    But what about all those anti-tank squads that suddenly don't have any "real" targets? Crashing chimeras are still better than double-insta-deathing a guardsman (or whatever you could call it with a Lascannon vs a GEq).
    That's the good part though. All those anti-tank weapons (which are usually 'one-shot') are wasted on Infantry. Of which I have far too many. So I can spare a few. It's not like double-insta-deathing a Guardsman is all that hard - regular plasmaguns can do it - so I'm not worried about it. That may be because I'm taking 150 men; Unlike Veteran lists who are lucky if they have 50/60. I can afford to treat my men like crap. Like any good IG General.

In my 1500-2000 lists, I usually have a couple of tanks. But, in this list, I don't really feel like I need them. Is that weird? But, I do feel that I don't have enough Lascannons. Hopefully Storm Troopers can do what they need to do.

In the end I'm estimating between four and five thousand points will be my army.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-08-07 at 07:13 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #230

Another thing, there is a pack with two assault cannons in the marine bitz shop, and I was planing on getting some termi honor pads for converting sternguard marines. Perhaps mount them in a twin assault cannon equipped razorback? It would be a cool conversion, but would it be worth its points?
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

-C. S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #231

On Drop Pods and Sternguard:
    I think it's semi-good idea to drop them in with standard Bolters and Combi-Flamers. However, they'll be sitting ducks in your opponents next Shooting/Assault phase, unless you do something real' clever-like. It's the same thing with Dreadnoughts Drop Pod'ing in, really.
    But, all in all, it's a good idea. I dislike using footslogging, well, anything 'cept Scouts. Once I hit 1000+ games, everyone has transports.

Another thing, there is a pack with two assault cannons in the marine bitz shop, and I was planing on getting some termi honor pads for converting sternguard marines. Perhaps mount them in a twin assault cannon equipped razorback? It would be a cool conversion, but would it be worth its points?
    We had a saying on an old Warhammer 40k board I was a member of. "The Ass Cannon in called that for a reason."
    Of course, it's up to personal preference and what you feel your army lacks. I wouldn't run Sternguards (who needs to get close to enemy) in a tin-can-of-a-tank with a gun bolted on, on top.
    Last edited by Narazil; 2009-08-08 at 03:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That's the good part though. All those anti-tank weapons (which are usually 'one-shot') are wasted on Infantry. Of which I have far too many. So I can spare a few. It's not like double-insta-deathing a Guardsman is all that hard - regular plasmaguns can do it - so I'm not worried about it. That may be because I'm taking 150 men; Unlike Veteran lists who are lucky if they have 50/60. I can afford to treat my men like crap. Like any good IG General.
    But that's part of my point (I know a lot about denying part of a balanced army their chance to be useful). Why would the Anti-tank weapons fire at Guardsmen when you have those chimeras running around being an annoyance. Hence, either get more armour, or remove those three targets as well.

Frankly, if I encountered this with my planned 2500, two of those chimeras would be gone after my first round of shooting, assuming they were in sight (and since their purpose is blocking LOS to other things, that is quite a possible outturn. Sure, I'm going Tau, which means that my anti-tank guns autopenetrate on the side armour, but still.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Narazil View Post
    We had a saying on an old Warhammer 40k board I was a member of. "The Ass Cannon in called that for a reason."
    Of course, it's up to personal preference and what you feel your army lacks. I wouldn't run Sternguards (who needs to get close to enemy) in a tin-can-of-a-tank with a gun bolted on, on top.
    wait what? sterngaurd get special bolter ammo, why do they need to get close? the only reason i would be transporting them is since they would be a scoring unit and thus having them transported would be nice. and a tankshield that can mow down orks would be nice once there. Comi weapon still work with the special ammo, so that might be a good idea. And a assault cannon is a lot better against orks then say, a lass cannon. Plus I like the looks of it I think.

Also, sombody advised devastators. What should those be equiped with then?
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

-C. S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But that's part of my point (I know a lot about denying part of a balanced army their chance to be useful). Why would the Anti-tank weapons fire at Guardsmen when you have those chimeras running around being an annoyance. Hence, either get more armour, or remove those three targets as well.
    Yes, but in the happy game of 40K, Vehicle Destroyed doesn't remove the model from the board. As such, any Chimera down, counts as impassable, un-see-throughable cover. As I said, they're to block LoS and force Bottlenecks. They can do that whilst being immobile/destroyed.

Frankly, if I encountered this with my planned 2500, two of those chimeras would be gone after my first round of shooting, assuming they were in sight (and since their purpose is blocking LOS to other things, that is quite a possible outcome.
    Probably. Depends who gets the first turn; If I do, I can get them into a fairly decent position. If you go first, they'll just end up getting in my own way...Unless 'Vehicle Explodes!' happens, in which case they never existed in the first place. Which is points lost.

...Three Chimeras with Extra Armour comes out at 210 Points. That's only enough for one Leman Russ...Which in this size list is pointless. Maybe a squad of Armoured Sentinels? Or two Valkyries (*vomit*) instead?

Originally posted by YPU
    Stuff
    Sternguard are probably my favourite unit. Being the new Deathwatch and all. Vanguard Veterans are the ones that suck.

Devastators: Missile Launchers and {Plasma Cannons or Lascannons}. Any combination of those two. I've always felt that Plasma Cannons + Lascannons made the unit too expensive, and is just asking for a Ordnance template. I don't like Heavy Bolters, because, every other model in your army has bolters. Heavy Bolters are just more of the (only slightly better) same. Multi-Meltas are right out. Putting your Devos close to the enemy is just asking for trouble.

x2 MLs/x2 PCs; BLAST ATTACK. No rolls to hit is always a bonus.
    x2 MLs/x2 LCs; Tank killing with some infantry-killing power.
    x4 MLs. Cheap and effective.

...and make sure you have more than 5. Just do it.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-08-08 at 07:28 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #235

wait what? sterngaurd get special bolter ammo, why do they need to get close? the only reason i would be transporting them is since they would be a scoring unit and thus having them transported would be nice. and a tankshield that can mow down orks would be nice once there. Comi weapon still work with the special ammo, so that might be a good idea. And a assault cannon is a lot better against orks then say, a lass cannon. Plus I like the looks of it I think.

Also, sombody advised devastators. What should those be equiped with then?
    Well, okay, you can just let the enemy come to you. Hadn't considered Pedro.
    I still don't have faith in an Assault Cannon, even if it's TL. But yes, it does look cool.

I advice against Devastators. Sure they're long ranged, but they're extremely fragile unless you give them 5 additional marines, and then they're very expensive. Ideal target for, say, Deep Stricking Stormboyz, a pieplate or a Shock Attack Gun.
    However, if you get them, I say Missile Launchers are the way to go. Lascannon's super expensive, and ML will rock against orks: Pie plates or Str 8 missile.
    Last edited by Narazil; 2009-08-08 at 07:12 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236

The only vehicle my main opponent has right now is a single truck, so tank killing is really unnecessary. So that scribes of lascannons. So sternguard + pedro will be on the to buy list. Tough sternguard will probably be spoofed up marines with vet shoulder pads.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

-C. S. Lewis

27. - Top - End - #237

If you're only really ever going to fight Orks, a Combi-Flamer will probably repay itself every single game (almost, anyway), and you still get the sweet Special Issue Ammo.
    Also, Missile Launchers can be hell for orks. It's pretty easy to cover 5-6 models with each shot. May not be a lot with 4x 30 Orks, but remember it's a 15 point marine shooting, with a no-cost upgrade.
    Same for Devastators - they're cheap as pie compared to their effectiveness (Missile Launchers, that is)

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

So I was wondering getting into 40k, two of my friends already play, one being Orks, and one being Imperial Guard. So I don't know what to play, one says I should play Space Marines becuse of economic reasons ( can get some boxed deal with Orks and Space Marines fairly cheap so we would split the prize ) and the other says nothing. So, what are the Ups and Downs of each race?
    I can tell you so much that I honestly have no idea what to put in a signature here..

English is not my native, just so you don't jugde me to harsh

29. - Top - End - #239
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Jinura View Post
    So, what are the Ups and Downs of each race?
    Space Marines (Loyalist Chapters) - Economically a good choice, as you can buy a few or a lot of Marine models and still make useful armies with them. Very forgiving in a tactical sense, as they are flexible and competant in all areas, but with a lot of variety to make things interesting for a 'Veteran' Player. Also very well supported by GW, so you'll get a lot of advice if you need it.
    Recommendation: High

Chaos (Space Marines) - Economically very good, as even a small amount of models will cost a lot in-game terms, making your army physically small even in large-scale games. Not as flexible as Loyalist Marines as they don't have as many different types of unit, but for a beginner who wants a very tough and powerful selection of troops you'll struggle to find better. Very slightly slanted towards preferring a Close-Combat orientated army, but able to use many different tactics.
    Recommendation: Mid-to-High

Chaos (Daemons) - Again, you won't need many models to make a large army. They are, however, rife with special rules and unique characters that a new player doesn't really need to know until they have a good grasp of the basics, and distinctly prefer to play to the Close-Combat side of the game, which is not an easy way to play. Very colourful and memorable, so you should have lots of fun painting and modelling them.
    Recommendation: Low-Mid

Tau - A very simple army that likes to stand on the spot and shoot things, and could quite happily ignore half of the rules in the book if they had their way, This can work to a new Player's advantage - against a considerate opponent you can play entire games and get used to a lot of rules, before having to worry about introducing more - or it can be a horrific learning curve against an enemy that is... less helpful. Quite easy to model and paint, however, and one of the few armies whose Battleset doesn't need any additional units added before it can be used as a legal army.
    Recommendation: Mid

Necrons - You'll need even less models than Chaos, and they are very, very tough - except for their special rules, which are even more complicated than learning the game itself, and their 'You Automatically Lose The Game' ability that can make them somewhat unsatisfying to play. Ridiculously easy to paint, but generally quite dull to play with.
    Recommendation: Low

Orks - You will need lots of models to make an army, and they will all require a lot of time and attention if they're going to be painted well. Having said that, they're relatively easy to play and their special rules aren't very complicated. Once you get the Orky mindset ("Run forward and 'it dem lots!!") you'll have lots of fun, and Ork players are usually very popular due to the good sense of humour that they often need to tolerate their own army...

Tyranids - The opposite of Tau; very one dimensional, except that they try to fight only in Close Combat. They do have some shooting abilities, but that is the very, very hard way to victory, and as I said before a balanced army is probably better to learn the game with. You'll also need lots of models to make an army, or fewer but far more expensive ones, depending on what style of play you want to go with. They are lots of fun to see on the table, though - I personally think that Tyranids have excellent models.

Imperial Guard - Depending on how you play them, Imperial Guard can either be very complicated or very simple. Either way, you're probably going to favour an army that lets you stand back and shoot at your opponent, either with lots of little models (tiring and repetitive to paint) or several big ones (expensive to buy). Research them more carefully to find a style that suits your interest is a good idea, but in general they're quite easy to learn and it's very simple to make them look good when painted and modeled..

Eldar - A very tricky army to play with. Eldar require a good knowledge not only of the game rules, but of your opponent and their army too; without it, they can be frustrating to play with.
    If you want to collect an army that is very, very good at one thing though (large fleets of bikes, having lots of tanks, standing around and shooting, running into close combat, etc) and aren't taken by either Tau or Tyranids, Eldar are the next best choice. Again, you'll need to research them carefully before you commit to an army - especially since a lot of their models are still metal and not plastic, making them expensive to buy.

Witch Hunters - Like Space Marines, but with less options and a couple of different rules. Quite nice for their theme, but again they're another all-metal army which is very expensive to buy when you could spend the same amount of money on twice as many (Loyalist) Space Marines and do more things with them in the process.
    Recommendation: Low-Mid (Mid, if you really really REALLY like the idea of people using flame-throwers)

Daemon Hunters - Very expensive models, complicated special rules ad lots of abilities that no longer work as well as they should (or even at all) due to the Main Rules being changed since they were last updated, all for an army that is essentially "Imperial Guard with Space Marine Allies". Unless you fall head-over-heels in love with the models and theme (easy to do, as they're very nice) and absolutely MUST have them, they're otherwise going to be expensive and disappointing to collect.
    Recommendation: Avoid

Dark Eldar - Another old army, but not as bad as people tend to make out. Another one that favours a particular playing style (bikes and fast moving vehicles using Hit And Run style attacks - can quite easily be emulated with ordinary Eldar, Tau or even Space Marines, as it happens) their models are also quite hard to get a hold of in bulk (personal experience) and those you can find probably won't come in a very wide variety of poses.
    Recommendation: Low (Other armies can do what they do just as well, and much more easily. from a tactical point of view.)

I hope that's at least of some help to you. Please feel free to ask if you want more detail or for me to clarify on some points - I've been playing this game for almost 13 years now, so I may well have garbled together some stuff that I take for granted that you might want to hear more about
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Space Marines (Loyalist Chapters) - Economically a good choice, as you can buy a few or a lot of Marine models and still make useful armies with them. Very forgiving in a tactical sense, as they are flexible and competant in all areas, but with a lot of variety to make things interesting for a 'Veteran' Player. Also very well supported by GW, so you'll get a lot of advice if you need it.
    Recommendation: High
    Not to mention low-medium price in terms of real-world currency, and come at a high points cost. One of the few armies that is so. But, this also pays off for the reasons described. Marines don't need that many guys.

Chaos (Space Marines) - Economically very good, as even a small amount of models will cost a lot in-game terms, making your army physically small even in large-scale games. Not as flexible as Loyalist Marines as they don't have as many different types of unit, but for a beginner who wants a very tough and powerful selection of troops you'll struggle to find better. Very slightly slanted towards preferring a Close-Combat orientated army, but able to use many different tactics.
    Recommendation: Mid-to-High
    I see CSM as more like Eldar in their flexibility than their parent Space Marines. Each unit in a CSM army has a role, and does that role fairly decently, but sucks at most others. But, CSM come with the inherent awesomitude of Space Marines, with a bunch of extra toys. So, always a good choice. Especially if you're one of those people where EVUL = COOL!!1!

Chaos (Daemons) - Again, you won't need many models to make a large army. They are, however, rife with special rules and unique characters that a new player doesn't really need to must know until before they have a good grasp of the basics, and distinctly prefer to play to the Close-Combat side of the game, which is not an easy way to play. Very colourful and memorable, so you should have lots of fun painting and modelling them.
    Recommendation: Low-Mid
    Fixed. I don't recommend Daemons as a beginner army. Not at all. They don't play like a regular army, and it will take a long time to get your tactics right, since you are daemons, the dice hate you. If you do choose daemons, be prepared to lose a lot in the beginning. I'm telling you to be prepared, that way when you do lose - a lot - you wont be discouraged from the hobby. But...Now my Daemons win just about every game...So, it pays off in the end.

Tau
    I have nothing to add.

Necrons - You'll need even less models than Chaos, and they are very, very tough - except for their special rules, which are even more complicated than learning the game itself, and their 'You Automatically Lose The Game' ability that can make them somewhat unsatisfying to play. Ridiculously easy to paint, but generally quite dull to play with.
    You. Automatically. Lose. The Game. No questions. If that isn't enough to put you off the Necron, then you should know that to not Auto-Lose, nearly all your models must be exactly the same. But, the Necron have a limited selection to begin with anyway. Definitely not recommended.

Orks - You will need lots of models to make an army, and they will all require a lot of time and attention if they're going to be painted well. Having said that, they're relatively easy to play and their special rules aren't very complicated. Once you get the Orky mindset ("Run forward and 'it dem lots!!") you'll have lots of fun, and Ork players are usually very popular due to the good sense of humour that they often need to tolerate their own army...
    Orks are not exclusively a close-combat army anymore. You can make an effective shooty army. I've done it before. The 5th Ed Orks have shooting that works, even at BS 2. The only dedicated assault troops in the Ork list are Kommados, Burna Boyz and Stormboyz.

Orks work on the Rule of LOL. If you're having fun, you can't lose.

Tyranids - The opposite of Tau; very one dimensional, except that they try to fight only in Close Combat. They do have some shooting abilities, but that is the very, very hard way to victory, and as I said before a balanced army is probably better to learn the game with. You'll also need lots of models to make an army, or fewer but far more expensive ones, depending on what style of play you want to go with. They are lots of fun to see on the table, though - I personally think that Tyranids have excellent models.
    The second-most common army out there (no-one will ever knock off Space Marines from that perch). I strongly discourage you from playing 'Nids, purely because I want to see different armies. Again, you can make a shooty 'Nid army. But, it does come at the cost of close combat. Unlike Orks. A Termagant is no good in Assault, and a Hormagaunt can't shoot - at all. But an Ork still has two base attacks and T4 even when he has a shoota.

You're wasting a lot of potential if you don't give your Carnifii double Heavy Weapons (MCs can do what they like), but, Carnifii in Assault are deadly. Some people also go for the Winged Hive Tyrant (which is a b* of a conversion). I don't like it. I swear by Tyranid Warriors. Not quite as tough as Tyrants, but there's more of them.
    Again, Tyranids can Assault or Shoot. Very rarely is there a list that can do both. Unlike Orks.

A Battleforce also works straight out of the box. But, it gives you one HQ/Elite (or Fast Attack), three units of Troops (and two of those units are rubbish 'out of the box') and an Elite/Heavy Support. Plus however many Ripper Swarms you get out of that. Probably the best Battleforce around. Or the Tau one. I can't decide.

But, all the same, I beg you; Don't play 'Nids. Please?

Imperial Guard
    Nothing to add.

Eldar - Eldar are the next best choice. Again, you'll need to research them carefully before you commit to an army - especially since a lot of their models are still metal and not plastic, making them expensive to buy.
    The good news is, those metal models cost a lot of points or come in small unit sizes, so you wont need too many of them. They're not quite as bad tactically as Wraith makes them out to be. Probably the easiest army to 'balance'. The only way to lose I've found with Eldar, is if your opponent is playing a super-dedicated army when you've gone for balance. Luckily, with the Troops-uppage in 5th, most armies these days should be balanced. With the exception of Tyranids and probably Tau.

The Inquisition
    One thing Wraith doesn't mention, is that Witch and Daemon hunters are effectively the same army, and you can mix'n'match most units. Not only that, but can be included in other Space Marine or Imperial Guard armies. I prefer the Witch Hunters. Daemonhunters Codex is way out of whack since the reprints of IG and SMs.

But, Daemonhunters are cool. It's easy to fall head-over-heels in love with them. Yes, they're expensive. I'd say, if you really want Daemonhunters (you don't, trust me) get yourself a SM, IG or WH army and include the only good units; Grey Knight Hero, Terminators and Teleport Squads. Everything else in the army is now over-points'd and therefore underpowered.

Dark Eldar
    Remember when Wraith said that Orks and Tyranids (and Tau) are good at one type of game? And then I said that that just wasn't true. Well, for Dark Eldar (and Necrons) Wraith is right; There only is one Dark Eldar list that works. And regular Eldar can do it better, and Space Marines (who are Space Marines) can do it too, so it's hard to go wrong with them.
    But that may be because the Dark Eldar Codex is super old.

Post me with questions if you have them. I've been playing for 14 years (remember when Librarians could win the game by themselves? No. Seriously. That's your list; One Librarian vs. 1500 points of any army you choose) and have just about every recent Codex out (as well as some old ones), as well as 'dummy lists' to go with them.

My armies are Imperial Guard, Orks, Chaos Daemons, the Necron and the Inquisition...So if you have any specific questions about those, I'll gladly help you out.

To a new player I would recommend Chaos Space Marines, Tau or Eldar. If you have no money (or you have to cry to your Mum every time you want something), I sadly will have to recommend regular Space Marines, or two or three Tyranid Battleforces (which roughly adds up to what most decent armies cost anyway).
    Two or Three Tyranid Battleforces gets you a pretty kick-a* army. One, however, does not.

Don't play Tyranids or Space Marines. I beg you.

Assault on Black Reach is very nice for two Ork/Space Marine playing friends. If that's what your friend has, then you should probably go Space Marines. It's not a bad deal or anything, but AoBR has some very good models that come with it. But, they're still Space Marines and common as dirt.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-08-09 at 07:04 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome