New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Community Worldbuilding Project [Ishka: Urban and Urbane]

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post

{EDIT AGAIN}If all or at least most of the inhabitants of Ishka speak Ishkan, that certainly makes trade within the city a lot easier but what about trade with other nations? Is Ishkan close enough to common that it's not really much of an issue, or do traders coming in from other nations have to learn a little bit of Ishkan for when they come into the city?
    I imagine outside merchants coming to Ishka would learn to speak Ishkan, just like real-world salesmen going to France would learn French.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

I find it odd that fey wouldn't enter the city. After all, just because many fey are seen as having ties to nature, not all of them do. Many did other things such as live in homes (as in human homes and have influence on them), cause trickery etc. I expect that while nature type fey wouldn't enter the city much, the others would be if not common, common enough that it isn't seen as a big deal for one to be somewhere.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

This. Idea. Is. Awesome.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    I find it odd that fey wouldn't enter the city. After all, just because many fey are seen as having ties to nature, not all of them do. Many did other things such as live in homes (as in human homes and have influence on them), cause trickery etc. I expect that while nature type fey wouldn't enter the city much, the others would be if not common, common enough that it isn't seen as a big deal for one to be somewhere.

Owrtho
    Fair enough. In fact, Ishka may have its own new class of city-fey. Brownies, cobbler elves, and that sort of thing. That said, I think that the city-fey would have just started speaking Ishkan rather than slowly integrated Sylvan into it. The more ancient, decidedly nature-based fey like nymphs, dryads, and the various nature sprites would find the urbanized parts of Ishka as disconcerting as a brownie would find a forest. For that reason, while the nature-fey wouldn't be unknown in the city, they would be uncommon there, enough so that the Sylvan influences to Ishkan would be second-hand by means of Elven.

On the topic of traders, I imagine that one of two situations would occur. If your average trader is sailing in to Ishka from his home nation, he would probably either learn Ishkan or commission a translator, either once he reaches Ishka or before he even departs. If the Draconic Heritage Collective is receiving an Efreeti business man interested in a lucrative investment project, most of the higher-ups in the kobold investment firm of Redburg and Gold would probably either learn Ingan or would get a magic item that translates for them. So, in simple terms, the plebians have to learn Ishkan if they want to deal in Ishka; anyone with any real power would find Ishka accommodating them instead.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

It could also make it rather interesting if you added Ishka into an already existing world for your PCs to enter, to see how they react upon learning that common isn't going to be the only language they need there (or more specificaly, will be all but useless as they may recognize the occasional word, but not most).

Also, anyone have any thoughts on the updated pipe serpents?

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

6. - Top - End - #456

Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    Fair enough. In fact, Ishka may have its own new class of city-fey. Brownies, cobbler elves, and that sort of thing. That said, I think that the city-fey would have just started speaking Ishkan rather than slowly integrated Sylvan into it. The more ancient, decidedly nature-based fey like nymphs, dryads, and the various nature sprites would find the urbanized parts of Ishka as disconcerting as a brownie would find a forest. For that reason, while the nature-fey wouldn't be unknown in the city, they would be uncommon there, enough so that the Sylvan influences to Ishkan would be second-hand by means of Elven.
    I was under the impression that nature-based fey were in the larger areas of the Grove District. Actually I believe there is a large colony of fey living in and around the Millenium Tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    On the topic of traders, I imagine that one of two situations would occur. If your average trader is sailing in to Ishka from his home nation, he would probably either learn Ishkan or commission a translator, either once he reaches Ishka or before he even departs. If the Draconic Heritage Collective is receiving an Efreeti business man interested in a lucrative investment project, most of the higher-ups in the kobold investment firm of Redburg and Gold would probably either learn Ingan or would get a magic item that translates for them. So, in simple terms, the plebians have to learn Ishkan if they want to deal in Ishka; anyone with any real power would find Ishka accommodating them instead.
    That makes sense.

Another thing that just poped into my head that we've never really covered: How big is the river that runs at the base of the canyon? I know it's something like 400 miles long, but how wide is it? How big are the rapids? Basically I'm trying to get an idea of how viable it is as a way to move up and down the canyon?.....If it's not very wide or there are big rapids then it's probably not used as a route of transport very much. If it's fairly wide and slow moving, then it use make sense that Ishkans use it as a way to move about the city.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alright, Let's talk Gate Raiders (Unrelated to the current discussion I know)

Randomly Appearing gates are fact of life in Ishka. Usually the local watch just cordons the area off. However, sometimes things come out. Frequently, these things attack, and the Gatekeepers port in Via the nearest gate to stop them. Nobody knows where these raiders come from, or why they attack, but it happens, and there has been alot of discussion on the subject. Generally, these threats fall into either Gate Beasts or Gate Raiders. There are many forms of both, but they have something in common, when killed, they discorporate, preventing any serious study.

Gate Beasts are animals, simple as that. They look bizarre and misshapen. Statistically, any animal or magical beast in the Monster Manual can be re fluffed into a Gate Beast.
    Gate Raiders are different, they are humanoid, and they tend to come in one of several forms.
    1: Reds
    Reds are the most similar to Gate Beasts. Hulking brutes in heavy armor, Reds fight as beserkers, and seem determined to destroy as much as possible. They speak in an incomprehensible language, and tend to seek out the strongest opponent in battle. They'll fight Bystanders and guards until the Gatekeepers arrive, at which point they will turn their attention towards them. Like all Gate Raiders they retreat back to the portal when it begins closing, but they seem most reluctant, waiting until the last possible minute.
    Physically Reds are three-eyed, bukly humanoids with rust colored skin. Their Mouths are lined with pointed teeth.
    Statistically, Stat Reds as Orcs, Bugbears, and Ogres.
    2: Blues
    While Reds are Beserkers, Blues fight in tightly organized teams, wearing ornate uniforms and led by clearly marked leaders. he Blues march in tight formation, using shield walls, and spears to great effect. While the Reds seek nothing but destruction, Blues apparently have clear goals. They establish a foothold and send out fast moving scouts. Sometimes they simply return through the portal, sometimes they move towards certain institutions. Blues will only attack Police if absolutely necessary, and they seem to hate Chaos in all it's forms, attacking temples to non-lawful dieties, disorganized crowds, or even badly structured businesses. They seem to have some way of sensing Chaos, and seek to wipe it out or organize it.
    The Blues are the only Gate Raiders to appear in Ravenshome, but they never vanish, and do nothing besides establish a foothold, send out scouts, and retreat.
    Physically the Blue's are blue skinned humanoids. Their heads are completely devoid of features, yet they still seem to be able to sense and communicate, probably psychically.

Greens
    The hooded Greens are some of the most dangerous of the Gate Raiders. They enter in small numbers, but each one is a powerful spellcaster. They usually come with several construct bodyguards. Greens wear dark cloaks, and move by hovering off the ground, they seek out and attempt to secure as many powerful magic items as they can before retreating back to their Portals. Unlike the Blues and Reds, the Greens do not leave people behind to cover their portals, instead, just before the portals close, they tend to teleport back with their ill-gotten gains.

Physically Greens have long, lanky limbs, Four eyes, and thin builds. They speak in a flowing mellifluous language that defies translation by any means. The name comes not from the casters, but from their construct bodyguards, who look like four armed suits of armor filled with a pulsing green light.
    Greys
    The most insidious of the Gate Raiders, the Greys do not seek to hit and then retreat. Instead, they infiltrate. When the portal opens, a billowing cloud of smoke flows out, and the Greys slip out into the city, staying there for an extended period of time. Greys are capable of disguising themselves, but they cannot speak, so they try to avoid attracting attention. They are almost preternaturally stealthy, and prefer slinking in the shadows in their natural state to adopting disguises. In their natural state they are clad in rags, their skin is featureless, they appear to be made out of billowing smoke compressed into a humanoid shape. They wield long thin daggers and carry pouches of magical explosives. The Greys infiltrate Ishka, and then begin to launch a series of attacks. Unlike other Gate Raiders, the Greys can apparently understand Ishkan, and are somehow able to identify civic leaders, important institutions, and learn about planned events. The goal of the Greys seems to be to dismantle Ishkan society by removing it's leaders and disrupting it's culture. Greys attempt to steal valuable items, assassinate leaders, free dangerous criminals, and destroy buildings. In combat they move very fast, but they are not very durable, and will dissipate into smoke after taking only a few hits, so when confronted they try to get away as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-02-26 at 06:08 PM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #458

I was under the impression that nature-based fey were in the larger areas of the Grove District. Actually I believe there is a large colony of fey living in and around the Millenium Tree.
    Exactly. They tend to stick the the Grove Districts, which is far more comfortable to them, rather than going to the urbanized parts of Ishka outside the groves. That isn't to say that don't occasionally leave to do business elsewhere, but a Dryad is not going to be comfortable in an apartment.

Another thing that just poped into my head that we've never really covered: How big is the river that runs at the base of the canyon? I know it's something like 400 miles long, but how wide is it? How big are the rapids? Basically I'm trying to get an idea of how viable it is as a way to move up and down the canyon?.....If it's not very wide or there are big rapids then it's probably not used as a route of transport very much. If it's fairly wide and slow moving, then it use make sense that Ishkans use it as a way to move about the city.
    The way I see it, in order to have a canyon like Ishka, we need a river with the width and power of the Nile. That means that the width could be up to five miles across, and deep enough to sail boats up and down it. There were certainly rapids at one point, but at this late date in Ishka's existence, I imagine that those areas were the subject of city-works projects to remove the rocks and curves making the water stability so poor. At this point, you could sail a ship down or a steamship up the river. You will have the lovely scenery of the bottom of tenements above you, the steamworks to your left and right, a few dumps and scrapyards, and an almost pitch-black permanent night. It's like navigating a river that flows underground.

Most people who want to transport goods across Ishka would sooner pay prime fees for use of stations or teleportation circles. The people that actually use the river come in a few flavors. The first are smugglers. People who, for whatever reason, have goods they want to remain so secret that they're willing to brave the dangers lurking in the dark to transport their goods without detection. After all, you can get underneath almost any part of the city by means of the river. They never bother to try to close it down when they're trying to keep people out of places. The second are people so destitute they can't afford the magic. So, in the hopes of getting the money they need, they risk the river. If you find someone who knows the river well enough, you could pay them to smuggle you in to somewhere.

The river has been a target of a beautification project by the Streetbuilders for centuries now. Whenever you travel the river, there's always some stretch that has been cleaned, lighted, and made wonderful. However, they're always putting the project on hold to work on more urgent things, and by the time they get back, the work they originally put in has been defaced, damaged, and generally ruined. As such, this is considered one of those futile projects that the Streetbuilders start and never finish. It is, however, one that they would be willing to outsource to a third party with a good enough plan.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the gate raiders seem interesting. Do they always show up as only a single type, or are there mixed groups? I expect that it might not be so much that blues are the only ones to show up in Ravenshome, but that they're the only ones to last long enough there to be seen.
    Also, I suggest that the raiders actually have some method of 'hacking' the gates they come from, rather than it actually leading to their origin, otherwise people would just go in while they were fighting and find they're source. I'd also suggest this only works on wild gates, or else they could use the established ones (though if another random gate opened they could escape through it rather than having to use the one they came from).

As for the river, I'd suggest there are some who like it there, but they'd be more akin to subterranean water dwellers like aboleths, and other things that live in similar places.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

10. - Top - End - #460

As for the river, I'd suggest there are some who like it there, but they'd be more akin to subterranean water dwellers like aboleths, and other things that live in similar places.

Owrtho
    Aboleths were actually what I was picturing when I mentioned the things lurking in the darkness.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

11. - Top - End - #461

If they have gone through the trouble of clearing the rocks and stablizing the river to make it a viable means of transport then I imagine they would make it at least as well lit as the surface of the lake in The Lake District. Yes you're still looking up at the underside of the buildings that fill in the canyon, but at least you can see them well enough to navigate. By the same token I don't think there would be much in the way of interesting lighting like the Light-show that takes place every night on Mere but you can at least see where you're going.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well, the gate raiders seem interesting. Do they always show up as only a single type, or are there mixed groups? I expect that it might not be so much that blues are the only ones to show up in Ravenshome, but that they're the only ones to last long enough there to be seen.
    Also, I suggest that the raiders actually have some method of 'hacking' the gates they come from, rather than it actually leading to their origin, otherwise people would just go in while they were fighting and find they're source. I'd also suggest this only works on wild gates, or else they could use the established ones (though if another random gate opened they could escape through it rather than having to use the one they came from).
    Owrtho
    Gate Raiders only come through randomly opened gates. Some people do go through their gates, but they never return. Whether this is because they are captured or killed by forces waiting on the other side, or because something about the gates stops them from returning is unknown.

I imagined Gate Raider groups as showing up independently. Reds might bring a Gate Beast or two with them, Blues and Greens might show up together, supporting each other. Groups of Greys may use other Gate Raiders as cover for infiltrating the city.

The general assumption is that the Gate Raiders come from some other plane, and only appear in Ishka because of the planar instability there. However, a common folk legend is that the City itself produces the Gate Raiders. Each one represents one of the City's strengths, and a method by which it may destroy itself.
    The Reds represent Strength and Bravery, something Ishka has alot of. However, it also represents the way the City may get torn apart by internal conflicts. The Reds represent the desire to Prove Oneself.

The Blues represent Leadership and Organization. They also represent that threat that a Tyrant could take control in the city and lead it to destruction. The Blues represent the Desire to Control.
    The Greens represent Intellect and Magic. They also represent the fact that the City's endless quest for knowledge and power could destroy it.
    The Greens represent the Desire for Power.
    The Greys represent Cunning and Guile. They also represent the divisive and untrusting nature of the City, the fact that it may be destroyed by internal factions working against one another behind the scenes.
    The Greys represent the Desire to disrupt and destroy.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-02-26 at 08:08 PM.
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

I could actually see some theorizing that the Gate Raiders are the people vanished by the Ravens trying to get back for revenge.

As for the river being decently lit, I'm not sure. I expect it was cleared up in the early days of the city before there was much covering it. One the city got to the point ti needed lights there, it likely didn't have many people using it. The shores are likely lit, but the middle most likely tends to be fairly poorly lit. It is most likely seen as not worth the time to set up good lights, and likely supposed to be part of the fixing it up thing. So some parts have lights. But they likely end up getting damaged and the like. Possibly in part due to the people who now use the river not wanting it lit.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I could actually see some theorizing that the Gate Raiders are the people vanished by the Ravens trying to get back for revenge.

As for the river being decently lit, I'm not sure. I expect it was cleared up in the early days of the city before there was much covering it. One the city got to the point ti needed lights there, it likely didn't have many people using it. The shores are likely lit, but the middle most likely tends to be fairly poorly lit. It is most likely seen as not worth the time to set up good lights, and likely supposed to be part of the fixing it up thing. So some parts have lights. But they likely end up getting damaged and the like. Possibly in part due to the people who now use the river not wanting it lit.

Owrtho
    Maybe.
    Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the River was totally filthy, used as a sewer dump by most of the City. Its' right at the bottom of everything after all.
    Edit: Hrm, the Raven-Raider theory works.

The Reds have gone mad, and simply want to destroy, to get strong enough to defeat whatever is trapping them there.
    The Blues seek to appease the Ravens into letting them return by attacking Chaos anad restoring order.The Greens are trying to amass enough magic to break out, and the Greys, trapped theere by rules, simply want to bring donw as many rules as possible.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-02-27 at 03:41 AM.
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #465

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the River was totally filthy, used as a sewer dump by most of the City. Its' right at the bottom of everything after all.
    I suppose cleaning up the river and fixing up the lighting could be part of The Garbage Campaign.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I suppose cleaning up the river and fixing up the lighting could be part of The Garbage Campaign.
    Ooh yeah. Some guy believes he's figured out a way to train Oozes to eat Garbage without harming People or boats. The PC's need to secure him lab space and funding.
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #467

Ooh yeah. Some guy believes he's figured out a way to train Oozes to eat Garbage without harming People or boats. The PC's need to secure him lab space and funding.
    Or someone is trying to work out a way to use "Purify Food and Water" on a large enough scale.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

That gives me an idea for another project of the streetbuilders. Can't think of a name at the moment, so I'll just call them the purifiers.

One of the projects the streetbuilders took on was a method to purify the water of the river. To do so they made two pairs of large pillars that sit at the connection of the lake district to the river, and the port district and the river. Both pairs purify any water that passes between them, keeping the two districts free of the filth that befouls the river. For this both districts have guards stationed to avoid damage to them. The purifiers are commonly thought to be one of the few completed projects of the streetbuilders, but in fact they are only barely started. The completed project is supposed to have a pair stationed every few miles along the river, but after finishing the two end ones, the streetbuilders put it on hold for more pressing business and never got back to it.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

19. - Top - End - #469
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

I do think we should put some thought into what lies beyond Ishka and the material plane, if only vaguely. Ishka's a bigger black hole of culture than Manifest (in the Manifest campaign).

Quoth Silverscale:
    "...for some reason I've always envisioned The City to take up most of the south-western area of some vast continent. To the west Ishka is bordered by a mountain range, to the north a battle scared waste-land gives way to forbidding frigid tundra, to the east Galdren eventually gives way to vast plains in the north and a forest to the south east. Beyond the Western Mountains is a coastal nation that sends trade to Ishka mostly through the Port District"

I've always imagined Galdren being on both sides of the Canyon, which would include some in these mountains. Now, if Ishka is in a northern clime (which it seems to be by Silverscale's description), then the most likely scenario is that said mountains would create a rain shadow on account of the direction of weather patterns by prevailing winds. That would mean a desert or at least a low-rain area between them and Ishka. Perhaps glaciers high in these mountains feed streams on both side and irrigate the patch that gets less precipitation, or perhaps the rain shadow simply does not occur because the mountains are very old and worn-down. They certainly can't be new, or Ishka would still be having earthquakes from the plated moving that cause said mountains to form. Perhaps it's both.

Why is the plain to the north battle-scarred? Was there some sort of massive war between Ishka and a northern invader? Or perhaps an even older war, before Ishka was founded, that left the land permanently infertile and wasted?

Where does the river that formed the canyon start?

I imagine the wealthy of Ishka would have significant holdings in all other lands and ties to any power structures those lands have.

Koboldsarbeiter avatar by Mindfreak

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So that brings us to Four Completed Streetbuilder Projects (As opposed to maintenance work). The Great Lantern, the Great Fountain, the Purifier (Not technically completed, but it's considered as such), and the Hunting Ground Enclosure.

What are some Unfinished Projects? Great works left forever unfinished, gathering dust and forgotten. Remember that manpower devoted to Projects is generally up to the current Streetbuilder Director, so a Project one Director loved another Director may think is useless, instead going off their own schemes.
    Some Projects

The Tiered Farms: Supposedly experts from the Collected Colleges figured out how to build a massive structure that was essentially several Fields stacked on top of each other, greatly increasing agricultural output. The Streetbuilder director at the time was a Galdren Native, and so jumped at the idea. They managed to build half of the second story before a group of Greys took out several major pillars, and the Streetbuilders spent two years rebuilding them and compensating for the increased stress on other pillars.
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #471

Quote Originally Posted by Renrik View Post
    I've always imagined Galdren being on both sides of the Canyon, which would include some in these mountains.
    Fair enough, although most of the mountain range would probably be taken up by Gulliver's Heights.
    Now, if Ishka is in a northern clime (which it seems to be by Silverscale's description), then the most likely scenario is that said mountains would create a rain shadow on account of the direction of weather patterns by prevailing winds. That would mean a desert or at least a low-rain area between them and Ishka.
    Actually in my description: "...for some reason I've always envisioned The City to take up most of the south-western area of some vast continent."...Ishka would have a more Southern Climate like you might find about 50 miles inland in the southern half of California.
    Perhaps glaciers high in these mountains feed streams on both side and irrigate the patch that gets less precipitation, or perhaps the rain shadow simply does not occur because the mountains are very old and worn-down. They certainly can't be new, or Ishka would still be having earthquakes from the plated moving that cause said mountains to form. Perhaps it's both.
    I'd say the mountains are fairly old and stable otherwise there would have been a major earthquake sometime with in the history of the city and Ishka would have been screwed.
    Why is the plain to the north battle-scarred? Was there some sort of massive war between Ishka and a northern invader? Or perhaps an even older war, before Ishka was founded, that left the land permanently infertile and wasted?
    Well there was at least one attempted invasion in Ishkan History that was squashed by Ishka's overwhelming numbers but the invaders at least tried to come with enough fire power which means that there was enough devastation to leave it's mark on the land.
    Where does the river that formed the canyon start?
    Doesn't the rive start in the lake of The Lake District?

I imagine the wealthy of Ishka would have significant holdings in all other lands and ties to any power structures those lands have.
    Sort of like how America has an Embassy in every country around the world? Even in nations that hate the US.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #472

What are some Unfinished Projects? Great works left forever unfinished, gathering dust and forgotten. Remember that manpower devoted to Projects is generally up to the current Streetbuilder Director, so a Project one Director loved another Director may think is useless, instead going off their own schemes.
    Throughout Ishkan history there have been those who thought it would be a good idea to build a massive wall to help fortify the city. Throughout Ishka one can find evidence of these fortification projects, though none were ever actually finished. Some have fallen into ruin and disrepair, others have been maintained either as part of the division between districts, or as the stop points they were conceived as.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #473

Throughout Ishkan history there have been those who thought it would be a good idea to build a massive wall to help fortify the city. Throughout Ishka one can find evidence of these fortification projects, though none were ever actually finished. Some have fallen into ruin and disrepair, others have been maintained either as part of the division between districts, or as the stop points they were conceived as.
    I imagine many of the walls were abandoned when Ishka just spread past them, whether further down the canyon or further out around the edges. Most of these fortifications are now probably in one of three states: foundations of massive buildings, hollowed-out and used as normal structures, or ruins because they weren't completed enough for the first two uses. Hell, if they're trying to create thick enough and tall enough walls, they could even be used as a source of raw materials now when resources run briefly low. Also, this means that aside from having to steer around the struts sticking into the water when navigating the river, you would also have to be careful to slip through the gaps in the ruined walls where the grates rusted through.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

24. - Top - End - #474
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ok, here's a clearer picture of how I imagined the Gate Raiders when we were posting back on page 1. I know we've moved well beyond that, but I figure I'll throw my two cents in anyway.

I pictured the Gate Raiders being the most mis-matched band of creatures anyone has ever seen. They carry no identifying marks or banners, and no uniforms to show that they are united. They appear from a gate without warning, and proceed to loot, pillage, rape and kidnap as much as they can, as fast as they can. Even the biology of the creatures is inconsistent. While it is true that some are stronger, some are faster, etc.; no two look anything alike. Some have animal heads, some have multiple limbs, and some don't have a recognizable anatomy at all (basically I thought of them as lovecraftian horrors with the psuedonatural template listed in Complete Arcane). After the Raiders have had their fun, they flee back to the Gate, with just enough time to get there before it closes. Maybe they are called back by something beyond the Gate, maybe they are connected to the Gate itself? These would be the kind of questions the Gatekeepers are dedicated to answering.

Anyway that's how I saw it. I like BRC's suggest for different Archetypes, but I think these would be designations by groups like the Gatekeepers and would not be readily apparent to an onlooker until the Raider has showcased his abilities. I also think that a group that comes through the Gate could be made up of any combination of these archetypes.
    Last edited by 50cr4t3s; 2010-03-01 at 02:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #475

Quote Originally Posted by 50cr4t3s View Post
    Ok, here's a clearer picture of how I imagined the Gate Raiders when we were posting back on page 1. I know we've moved well beyond that, but I figure I'll throw my two cents in anyway.

I pictured the Gate Raiders being the most mis-matched band of creatures anyone has ever seen. They carry no identifying marks or banners, and no uniforms to show that they are united. They appear from a gate without warning, and proceed to loot, pillage, rape and kidnap as much as they can, as fast as they can. Even the biology of the creatures is inconsistent. While it is true that some are stronger, some are faster, etc.; no two look anything alike. Some have animal heads, some have multiple limbs, and some don't have a recognizable anatomy at all (basically I thought of them as lovecraftian horrors with the psuedonatural template listed in Complete Arcane). After the Raiders have had their fun, they flee back to the Gate, with just enough time to get there before it closes. Maybe they are called back by something beyond the Gate, maybe they are connected to the Gate itself? These would be the kind of questions the Gatekeepers are dedicated to answering.

Anyway that's how I saw it. I like BRC's suggest for different Archetypes, but I think these would be designations by groups like the Gatekeepers and would not be readily apparent to an onlooker until the Raider has showcased his abilities. I also think that a group that comes through the Gate could be made up of any combination of these archetypes.
    I actually saw it that way too. I didn't imagine that they would have codified appearances or anything else that really grouped them together. I imagine that some would be big brutes like BRC's reds, some would show signs of organization like the blues, some would have magic like the greens, and some would have stealth like the grays. However, I didn't see them as being clearly anything.

That said, if the consensus is that it would be better for clear divisions of raiders, I'll go with that. I personally prefer 50cr4t3s's idea that there would more likely be Brute, Group, Magic, and Stealth types, which you can only tell through a combination of looking closely as the way their physiology tends to go and the tactics they exhibit. I also agree that there might be combined groups - or even one with multiple archetypes. For example, you might have Stealths sweep in as recon, followed by hordes of the Group type to cause mayhem and establish a foothold, then Magics protected by Brutes coming in to really mess things up before retreating.

There could also be fast, Stealth Brutes that show up in Groups and can use Magic. Truly that would be the more terrifying kind of raid.

So, I suppose in the system that I would present, you would have Brutes, Casters, Soldiers, and Spies. All of these classifications would be those of the gatekeepers, less because the raiders tend to be alike and more as a means of identifying the abilities of specific raiders for on the fly tactics. Brutes are defined as large or larger creatures with great strength and endurance. Most have animal-level intelligence, but this is not universal. Casters are capable of using powerful spells, psionics, and/or spell-like abilities. They would tend towards being intelligent leaders, the ones giving commands. They would be priority targets of Keepers. The Soldiers would be any group of raiders with roughly-similar capabilities that use team work instead of the individualism seen in most raiders. The Spies would be any raider that uses tactics involving stealth and/or assassination. There is no other qualifier for being a Spy.

Like I said, though, it looks like people are liking BRC's idea better, and if that's the case I'll go with his instead.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I pictured these gate raiders as coming from different places, and each type has their own goals, rather than them all coming from one source, dedicated to destroying the city. If you want them to all come from the same source, that's okay.
    I was thinking from a DM's perspective, introducing some uniformity into the gate raiders in order to make them easier to use.

I think we should determine what the Gate Raiders are (Even if nobody in the setting knows). Are they creatures from another plane who broke through due to Ishka's planar instability and seek to conquer and destroy? Are they the stuff of chaos, spewed out at random. Are they a single society, or do they come from a variety of places. Do they have some goal, or do they merely want to destroy Ishka? Do they show up and fight until they are driven back, or do the portals start closing, forcing them to retreat.
    Maybe it's like this. The Greens are the leaders of some extraplanar empire. The Blues are a servant-race they created, obedient, logical, and efficient. The Reds are the result of failed experiments, or errors in the process by which Blues are created, so they come in a variety of sizes and shapes, some wield crude weapons, some have claws or smashing hands, they tend to be significantly stronger than Blues (Since the weak ones die off fast), but without the organization or intelligence that guide's the Blue's efforts. They're insane, and while the Greens can cow them into obedience through fear, they are basically uncontrollable, serving only as beserkers and shock troops.

So, while wherever they come from, Blues are far more common, most Blues serve other purposes, while pretty much every Red is sent to fight, so they show up In about equal numbers attacking Ishka.

Greys are not a true race, they are constructs the Greens wove from the stuff of unfinished reality. Half-real shadow thing sent to scout and disrupt the order of Ishkan society, making it all the riper for the takeover.
    In this case Reds probably come in a mottled variety of colors, but wherever they are from has red-colored dirt (Like Mars). Greens and Blues keep clean, but Reds don't bother.

In terms of force composition, Usually they will show up individually, or a single Green will be leading a group of Blues or Reds. Or Greys will use an attack by Reds or Blues to infiltrate the city. Occasionally you get a full fledged invasion force. First, a larger than average group of Greys slips into the city. Then, some time later, they strike simultaneously, attempting to cause massive disruption. At this point, a large gate opens up. First, a wave of Reds pours out, tying up defenders and causing chaos. Next, a force of Blues marches out of the portal, forming up and methodically securing the area. Finally, a small group of Greens emerges, guarded by elite Blues or powerful constructs. Some of these Greens take forces of Blues and go after specific objectives. Meanwhile, the Reds are still rampaging about, causing trouble and keeping any defenders busy while the Greens go after their true objectives.

These invasion forces are very rare, and usually the Gatekeepers can predict when they are going to happen by looking for certain patterns in Gate-Raider activity (Groups of Greys trying to infiltrate, but not doing anything. Lots of portals opening in the same area. Blues showing up, capturing a small area, then retreating as if they were merely practicing for later). Even if the Gatekeepers successfully predict when and where it is going to occur, and have sufficient time to prepare, they can still be devastating.
    [/Center]

27. - Top - End - #477
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

After the allkin where posted I had a thought that the gate raiders might be from the future. Specifically the far future of Ishka. They open portals to the past to steal from there own ancestors much like the Toclafain from Dr who.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

28. - Top - End - #478

Quote Originally Posted by kopout View Post
    After the allkin where posted I had a thought that the gate raiders might be from the future. Specifically the far future of Ishka. They open portals to the past to steal from there own ancestors much like the Toclafain from Dr who.
    Except they do more than just steal. The raiders do as much damage as they can....If they are from Ishka's future they would {not} want to destroy their own past.

I'm with BRC on his view of the Raiders. It makes it easier on the GM's to run them if they are not "You have a 10 creature raiding party, role up 10 different monsters."
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2010-03-01 at 06:43 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I can see benefits to either manner of running them. Though there is one thing I somewhat disagree with. I don't think the gate raiders would actually have control over when or where the portals open up. Thus if they do actually come from another plane, they have to wait for a portal to open up on its own.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

30. - Top - End - #480

Well unless we're gonna start stating out Reds, Blues, Greens, and Grays, then we could probably leave the question of the Raiders up to the GM. Some might see it as a perfectly good way to throw whatever random crap they just came up with at their players.
    ~
    ~
    ~
    On a completely different note, here's something else that's been bouncing around in my noodle.

Place Of Interest: Fabrige Construct Co.
    District: Mythril Heights
    Description:
    Given the overall wealth of Ishka and the general abundance of Golems and other mechanical beings, not to mention the resources to create them, it was only a matter of time before a group of craftsmen came together with the right combination of talent to create what some consider to be as much art as they are functional Automatons.

Combining the craftsmanship of the Dwarves, The artistry of the Elves, and the ingenuity of the Gnomes, F.C.C., has become the foremost creator of masterfully designed constructs. Their wok is sought after by wealthy citizens looking to show of their money and have the best personal security money can buy.

Once a year, F.C.C. creates an ornately decorated sphere that opens up to reveal a tiny and intricately detailed scene. These spheres are auctioned of at the annual Holiday Ball. Proceeds go the winners charity of choice.
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2010-03-01 at 07:23 PM.

Spoiler
    Show