New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1433
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Community Worldbuilding Project [Ishka: Urban and Urbane]

As Ishka is a single city with a population of about a billion, that is still around 2000 HP. Also changing it to per district seems to fit it better.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Dwarf in the Playground

We may have gone over this before but what is the average district population?
    As wrote duel item is 1 not very applicable as a weapon property and 2 really really confusing I mean the key guns are confusing but that is why there awesome The whole comic is at least half that but this seams even more confusing. I am not sure how to or even if it can be fixed (probably needs to be a general wondrous item) but it could be vary cool.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BLiZme.2 View Post
    We may have gone over this before but what is the average district population?
    Roughly 20,000,000 which means to make it a reasonable ability you'd have to say "for every 500,000 living beings in their home district"
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm wondering where your getting that number from. For one thing, you can't just divide the total population by the number of districts we have. Those listed are meant to be the more notable and/or important districts. There are however many more (so DMs can make up their own, and when you account for all the separate commons, secret districts, steamworks, etc. which while only listed once, are actually a basic type of district rather than a single one). Districts are said to range from the size of a large town to an average city in general (not factoring in Ishka for determining average city size). There are of course some exceptions, like Necropolis which is quite large, as well as the Temple District, but those are more likely exceptions rather than the rule (though much of this is up to the DM's personal choice).

That said, I also don't know where you got that number, so you may have looked up average city size. However that does seem a bit high to me (particularly as it is based on average DnD city size I believe).

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Orc in the Playground

About dual objects... yeah, I know, it fits more as a wondrous item quality, but the problem is, in core D&D books that is, there's no such thing! Just think of it as a weapon ability that can apply to things other than weapons. The ideas for use are mainly subterfuge and surprise, but there are other times when it might come in handy, like that stonespellbook I mentioned.

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

Excellent gnome scribe avatar to match my username by licoot.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Dwarf in the Playground

My big concern is that as written now it costs magic weapon +es as opposed t a "flat" GP cost (I suggest the cost be the cost of the cheaper item + twice the cost of the more expensive item + a constant cost say 1000GP) otherwise it is ok cost wise. I’m still not comfortable with some of the act like 2 objects at once fluff for example I would be ok if it acted like a stone slab physically but looked like a spell book so you could read it but id think you should not be able to turn the page similarly. I would think you cant stab someone while playing the violin with a sword bow (the violin kind) but I am ok with on the same round if you have the actions otherwise playing the violin and stabbing them just not while the sword is on the violin or it would cut the string and I see this distinction being really hard to adjudicate when it comes up as a vital point.
    What school of magic (and thus mechanism) do you imagine this effect as that might help clear this dissonance up or not worth a shot though.
    Last edited by BLiZme.2; 2010-05-12 at 03:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1027

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    I'm wondering where your getting that number from. For one thing, you can't just divide the total population by the number of districts we have. Those listed are meant to be the more notable and/or important districts. There are however many more (so DMs can make up their own, and when you account for all the separate commons, secret districts, steamworks, etc. which while only listed once, are actually a basic type of district rather than a single one). Districts are said to range from the size of a large town to an average city in general (not factoring in Ishka for determining average city size). There are of course some exceptions, like Necropolis which is quite large, as well as the Temple District, but those are more likely exceptions rather than the rule (though much of this is up to the DM's personal choice).

That said, I also don't know where you got that number, so you may have looked up average city size. However that does seem a bit high to me (particularly as it is based on average DnD city size I believe).

Owrtho
    We have about 30 districts listed, I divided the total population of roughly 1billion by 50 to account for some of the extra districts however if you think that's too high how about we say there are 200 districts, then the math comes out to 5,000,000 people per district, and a reasonable fix to the Sialla Danda would be to change it to "for every 100,000 living beings in their home district"

If that's still too high how about we say 500 districts, then the math becomes 2,000,000 people per district, and to fix the Sialla Danda it would read "for every 250,000 living beings in their home district"
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1028

This doesn't include all the various constructs but it does include all the Golems for every edition of D&D up to 3.5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem_%...%26_Dragons%29

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Dwarf in the Playground

on the Sialla Danda how about we cap the bonus hp to 1-2 per HD for the fae then it will make it scale nicely and not be redonculus in Ishka.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post
    We have about 30 districts listed, I divided the total population of roughly 1billion by 50 to account for some of the extra districts however if you think that's too high how about we say there are 200 districts, then the math comes out to 5,000,000 people per district, and a reasonable fix to the Sialla Danda would be to change it to "for every 100,000 living beings in their home district"

If that's still too high how about we say 500 districts, then the math becomes 2,000,000 people per district, and to fix the Sialla Danda it would read "for every 250,000 living beings in their home district"
    I still think that's too high. I expect districts are actually in the thousands or more, though most are just commons and can blend into one another. And again I'll note that it has been said an average district is about the size of a normal city. Given that, I expect it would be easier to work in reverse, first finding average population of a city, then dividing 1 billion by that. Then we would take a hundred or so away to account for the extra large districts like Necropolis. Also, would they count undead, because if not that is a somewhat notable chunk of Ishka's population.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

11. - Top - End - #1031

No they do not count undead or constructs into their hp boost. This means there aren't any in the Necropolis and any other district where Undead and/or Constructs are the dominant "life form". It's not that they dislike the Undead, it's just that they are drawn to the living.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

Ishka on the second page‽ Not if I have anything to say about it.

Anyway, I could see some Sialla Danda being in places dominated by undead and/or constructs. It would just require there is also a sufficient amount of living beings.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

13. - Top - End - #1033

It seems it is once again time to make a compilation of Ishka. Seeing as how I haven't done one for over 20 pages, I will try and get to it this weekend. It's going to take a while since I have to cut/paste the whole thread again because I don't have the original documents on my computer anymore. I will make every attempt to be as thorough as possible but I apologize in advance for anything that may get left out by accident.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BLiZme.2 View Post
    My big concern is that as written now it costs magic weapon +es as opposed t a "flat" GP cost (I suggest the cost be the cost of the cheaper item + twice the cost of the more expensive item + a constant cost say 1000GP) otherwise it is ok cost wise. I’m still not comfortable with some of the act like 2 objects at once fluff for example I would be ok if it acted like a stone slab physically but looked like a spell book so you could read it but id think you should not be able to turn the page similarly. I would think you cant stab someone while playing the violin with a sword bow (the violin kind) but I am ok with on the same round if you have the actions otherwise playing the violin and stabbing them just not while the sword is on the violin or it would cut the string and I see this distinction being really hard to adjudicate when it comes up as a vital point.
    What school of magic (and thus mechanism) do you imagine this effect as that might help clear this dissonance up or not worth a shot though.
    School of magic: Transmutation(polymorph) moderate aura, Illusion moderate aura.

It seems to me that this works by an item being able to shift between being one item and another. It can also appear like either of the items. Hence, polymorph subschool and the illusion school of magic are both in the item.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems it is once again time to make a compilation of Ishka. Seeing as how I haven't done one for over 20 pages, I will try and get to it this weekend. It's going to take a while since I have to cut/paste the whole thread again because I don't have the original documents on my computer anymore. I will make every attempt to be as thorough as possible but I apologize in advance for anything that may get left out by accident.
    Not quite sure, but it seems like making a wiki or the like would be helpful for organizing everything. Then that could just be updated as needed and links made to it.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

16. - Top - End - #1036

Not quite sure, but it seems like making a wiki or the like would be helpful for organizing everything. Then that could just be updated as needed and links made to it.

Owrtho
    Don't know how to make a Wiki but if someone want's to WIKIfi what I wind up with that would be cool. Or if someone can tell me how to make a Wiki either way...I've gotten to the end of page 13 and so far have 138 pages of text (I've been doing a bit of pairing as I went).

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

Never made a wiki or the like myself, but I found a how to here. According to what it says, it seems like it would be easier than trying to make a normal website or the like, but having never made a wiki, I am unsure of its validity.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

18. - Top - End - #1038

Never made a wiki or the like myself, but I found a how to here. According to what it says, it seems like it would be easier than trying to make a normal website or the like, but having never made a wiki, I am unsure of its validity.

Owrtho
    I'll take a look at that thanx

EDIT: Looked at it....still can't figure out how to start a new Wiki, got frustrated with Wikipedia, going back to copy/pasting the thread.
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2010-05-15 at 08:17 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Orc in the Playground

Hey guys,

I have been rreading through this whole thread (a large undertaking) because I plan on running this setting but I am confused about how are the layers held up?

Keep going on this because it's one of the best things I have seen in regards to D&D,

- FM
    "To live is to dream; to die is to awaken"
    - La Bamba

“Believe in the ideal, not the idol.”

"Those who flow through life, as life flows, feel no wear... feel no tear... need no mending... no repair."
    -Laotzu

-Compassion: Much less effective on soul eating monsters.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Messiah View Post
    Hey guys,

I have been rreading through this whole thread (a large undertaking) because I plan on running this setting but I am confused about how are the layers held up?

Keep going on this because it's one of the best things I have seen in regards to D&D,

- FM
    They layers are held up by a large amount of stuff. The layers beneath them to begin with (kinda like a how the basement helps hold the main floor which helps hold an attic). There are also millions of columns running up and down the layers. The largest are usually named, or very well known. They provide additional support. More than likely, there are probably a few places held together by epic spells. Mainly however, they are held up by the sheer fact that, since it started on the river, there is no where for them to go.

Go Tigers!

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    They layers are held up by a large amount of stuff. The layers beneath them to begin with (kinda like a how the basement helps hold the main floor which helps hold an attic). There are also millions of columns running up and down the layers. The largest are usually named, or very well known. They provide additional support. More than likely, there are probably a few places held together by epic spells. Mainly however, they are held up by the sheer fact that, since it started on the river, there is no where for them to go.
    Thank you very much,

I had assumed as such but I am glad that someone has clarified. if you guys want once my game gets started I could link it over to here.

Thanks again,

FM
    - La Bamba

"Those who flow through life, as life flows, feel no wear... feel no tear... need no mending... no repair."
    -Laotzu

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you very much,

I had assumed as such but I am glad that someone has clarified. if you guys want once my game gets started I could link it over to here.

Thanks again,

FM
    If your running it on GiTP, I might send in an entry. I'm already in one game in Ishka. Might as well try out for another.

Go Tigers!

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    If your running it on GiTP, I might send in an entry. I'm already in one game in Ishka. Might as well try out for another.
    sorry, I am doing this for 2 friends to play through although if it seems to be going well than I will make another one in the same world so that the choice you make may impact the other group.

Hey, if everything goes really well than there may be a chance to make a Living Ishka World...but that is the future

FM
    - La Bamba

-Laotzu

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Troll in the Playground

sorry, I am doing this for 2 friends to play through although if it seems to be going well than I will make another one in the same world so that the choice you make may impact the other group.

Hey, if everything goes really well than there may be a chance to make a Living Ishka World...but that is the future

FM
    dang. Oh well.

Go Tigers!

25. - Top - End - #1045

Just finished copy/pasting the entire thread into a 420 page doc.file. Now comes the task of turning it into a usable Compendium for Ishka. This compendium will not include anything that appears after this post as I already have PLENTY to wade through.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Looked at it....still can't figure out how to start a new Wiki, got frustrated with Wikipedia, going back to copy/pasting the thread.
    Thought I'd ask if you watched the video on the link. I also didn't get much out of the written part (and hadn't much planned to watch the video either), but was bored and had nothing to do so watched it. It deemed to explain things much better. If that didn't work for you I might try making a wiki page, but don't know how well I would do at it.

Also, seeing how things have gone through somewhat of an evolution since Ishka was first made, are we going to directly copy things, or will we reword things to better take into account more recent content and changes to fluff.
    (an example could be Ravenshome, which has had some slight changes in general disposition as well as most people calling the Sentinels Ravens. Also something along the lines of the Saint the Stone Raven would likely be mentioned in a more up to date version).

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

27. - Top - End - #1047

Thought I'd ask if you watched the video on the link. I also didn't get much out of the written part (and hadn't much planned to watch the video either), but was bored and had nothing to do so watched it. It deemed to explain things much better. If that didn't work for you I might try making a wiki page, but don't know how well I would do at it.

Also, seeing how things have gone through somewhat of an evolution since Ishka was first made, are we going to directly copy things, or will we reword things to better take into account more recent content and changes to fluff.
    (an example could be Ravenshome, which has had some slight changes in general disposition as well as most people calling the Sentinels Ravens. Also something along the lines of the Saint the Stone Raven would likely be mentioned in a more up to date version).

Owrtho
    Watched the video, tried a couple of the links mentioned at the end, couldn't get anything to do what I wanted it to. I'll start by copy/pasting into individual documents and then organize/edit things to reflect updates. For example does anyone remember Ropeball?

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Watched the video, tried a couple of the links mentioned at the end, couldn't get anything to do what I wanted it to. I'll start by copy/pasting into individual documents and then organize/edit things to reflect updates. For example does anyone remember Ropeball?
    I DO!

If I get some time, I'll try to make a Wiki myself and put it up.

Edit: like THIS! okay, nothin in there yet, but it exists!
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-05-15 at 10:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #1049

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I DO!

If I get some time, I'll try to make a Wiki myself and put it up.

Edit: like THIS! okay, nothin in there yet, but it exists!
    BRC once again you're awesome...I'll start filling it in tomorrow from my thread C./P.

{EDIT}Does anyone know how to make a sticky post so that we can put a link to the Wiki that appears at the top of all the thread pages for Ishka?{/EDIT}
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2010-05-16 at 12:45 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure about a stickypost (if it's possible it likely takes a moderator or admin). Still, we could just have the first post edited and make links whenever it comes up (not exactly ideal though). Also, added a small page listing the saints (Not sure if it has all of them, but I took it from page 11).

Also, I can try putting up some of the pages if you send me the info (perhaps via PM). Then again, you might just want to put it up yourself at that point, unless we start getting more into formating.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew