New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1433
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Community Worldbuilding Project [Ishka: Urban and Urbane]

For a city built into a mountain to rival the size of Ishka it would either have to be a range of mountains or a single mountain the size of Olympus Mons on Mars....I'm actually in favor if this variation. It could even be the source of some of the exotic things found in Ishka, they may be rivals but even rivals share things or at least show off to each other. Not sure I like the name Buther though......

What about some of the other nations on "Ishka Prime" (This could either refer to the planet or the Prime-material plane associated with Ishka) Yeah we should leave plenty open to DM fill in but I think we should try and define at least a handful of other nations....at least those in the "Immediate" area of Ishka. We have a Sea-port, where do the ships go to/come from? We have a Sky-port, where do the Airships trade with?

Nation Name:
    Predominant Race:
    General Location:
    Rough Size:
    Attitude toward Ishka:
    Primary Trade with Ishka:
    Other Interesting Notes:
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Dwarf in the Playground

on the prime Iska is king her vassals (metaphoricly) include
    the elves across the mountains range Elair'ina
    a dwarf nation across the see Sturvoltin
    a human nation formed by pioneers native to the Ishkin aria long before the rise of the city Tethanis

I will suggest more later TTFN

Also Sigil and I like the one huge volcano crater mega city think the dwarf city in eregon turned to 11

Though we have implied heavily that the only things close to Iska thematically are Trantor sigil and the capital city in star wars.
    But then again Ishkans would downplay the other city.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post
    For a city built into a mountain to rival the size of Ishka it would either have to be a range of mountains or a single mountain the size of Olympus Mons on Mars....I'm actually in favor if this variation. It could even be the source of some of the exotic things found in Ishka, they may be rivals but even rivals share things or at least show off to each other. Not sure I like the name Buther though......
    It could also go deeper. Most mountains are MUCH taller than Ishka is deep, not to mention to depth you can go down INTO the earth. With more layers, you need less surface area.

Go Tigers!

4. - Top - End - #1264

So far we have 5 other nations on Ishka Prime

Nation Name: "The Elven Nation"
    Predominant Race: Elves
    General Location: The forest south-east of Ishka
    Rough Size: 35,000
    Attitude toward Ishka: Peaceful but Aloof
    Primary Trade with Ishka: Elven-craft Items including art, wine, weaponry, etc.
    Other Interesting Notes: They have forbidden Airships in their air-space but allow Soarwhales.

Nation Name:
    "The Coastal Nation"
    Predominant Race: Humans/Dwarves
    General Location: The Western Coast on the other side of the Western Mountains.
    Rough Size: 100,000
    Attitude toward Ishka: Friendly
    Primary Trade with Ishka: Refined ore Iron, Silver, Copper, Gold, etc
    Other Interesting Notes: They have a protection agreement with Ishka and there are garrisons of Ishkan Mercs in all the major cities to help protect the nation and oversee the mining and trading operations.

Nation Name: Elair'ina
    Predominant Race: Elves/Half-elves
    General Location: North of "The Coastal Nation"
    Rough Size: 25,000
    Attitude toward Ishka: Neutral
    Primary Trade with Ishka: A cabal of powerful Arch-mages trades powerful magic items and other magical services to Ishka. Their secrets have helped build some of the marvels of Ishka including The Great Lantern, The Great Fountain and the runes of The Boulevard.
    Other Interesting Notes: Rumors abound of what wonderful magical secrets are still kept by the cabal.

Nation Name: Sturvoltin
    Predominant Race: Dwarves
    General Location: Across the Sea
    Rough Size: 50,000
    Attitude toward Ishka: Neutral
    Primary Trade with Ishka: Refined Ore and Dwarven Craft Items
    Other Interesting Notes: Eberkarn Gorunn, one of the original founders of F.C.C. came from Sturvoltin as a merchant/artisan.

Nation Name: Tethanis
    Predominant Race: Humans
    General Location: The Eastern Plains
    Rough Size: 35,000Human
    Attitude toward Ishka: Friendly
    Primary Trade with Ishka: Food and other Goods
    Other Interesting Notes: Though the nation is primarily Human there are several tribes of Haflings that wander the plains trading with Ishkan and Tethanians alike.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd suggest a floating nation that is for the most part only accessible via airship (or other methods of flight/teleportation). Might have rare minerals they export that can be used to make things (like airships) float.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Random Musing
    While we’ve discussed a good deal about Law Enforcement in Ishka, we don’t have the actual legal system down. With that in mind, here’s my proposal.

While each individual district has it’s own legal system, some crimes, primarily those investigated by MI, are tried before the Municipal Court. This trial comes in three stages, all three courts have somethings in common. Justicars (Essentially Judges) are present in each court, and in order to prevent undue trickery (Lawyers boosting their charisma, using magical compulsion on the Jury, ect), all the courts take place in a powerful Anti-Magic Field. The Municipal Court is located in the Primordium.
    The Justicar’s Court
    Also known as the Raven’s Court, this court is frequently considered a mere formality, but it is very important. Here a tribunal of Justicars hears the case. It is not their job to determine guilt or innocence, but to set the terms for the trial. Their primary job is to determine which laws the defendant will be charged with breaking, or if the case even belongs in the three courts. Sometimes they send the case down to a district court. They also determine what evidence is admissible, whether any special considerations must be made, and the makeup of the jury (usually the juries are chosen at random, but sometimes, when special knowledge or experience is required to understand the case, they will specify, for example, that the jury must consist of practitioners of arcane magic, or of people with a knowledge of engineering). They also determine by what margin the Jury must make it’s decision, for serious crimes the Jury must be unanimous, but in order to avoid taking up too much of the court’s time with squabbles over minor crimes, sometimes they prescribe that the jury need only reach a simple majority, or a 2/3rds majority.
    The Justicar’s Court also writes up the Report, consisting of the basic, indisputable facts of the case. Such a Report might read as follows.
    On the 25th of (Month), A resident of the East Commons, Martha Cartwright, reported to the local watch that she had returned home to find her son Alex Cartwright missing. The watch conducted a search, and at 5:34 PM they found Alex Cartwright’s body nearby in the Steamworks at [location]. The case was passed to MI, who conducted an investigation.
    The Defendant is Mister Jonathan Harl, he is accused of Premeditated Assault Resulting in Murder.

The Lawyer’s Court
    Also known as the Protector’s court (After Saint Kenrick the Protector/the Fallen/ The Boneshield (depending on who you ask)), this is the court where guilt or innocence is determined. A Justicar oversees the proceedings, but the decision is up to a jury of everyday citizens (See above). After the Justicar’s Report is read, the Defense and Prosecution give their version of events, and then proceed to present evidence.
    If the Jury finds the defendant Guilty, then the case is sent to the third court.
    The Hangman’s Court
    Also known as the Crusader’s Court (After Saint Baltin, the Crusader). The name is misleading, as this court rarely prescribes the death penalty. It’s job is to Sentence the Criminal (If you reach this court, you are considered a Criminal). Once again, a tribunal of Justicators rules (though they can get a suggestion from the Jury). The Defense and the Prosecution both present a suggested sentence, if these sentences are identical (usually the result of a deal between the two sides) then the Justicator’s almost always agree (Though they are not required to).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Dwarf in the Playground

I rely don’t like the flying nation idea.

Silverscale are those all new or have you dredged some awesome up from depths of the thread?

I also think we need some nation that attempts to be antagonistic though they are only a bee sting at best and they really know they can’t do much I lean away from ether druids or a traditional evil races as those are ether to stereotypical or covered as a motif in the setting but beyond those I have no clear ideas.

BRC you are an endless font of win.
    Look everybody we have a justice system. The question is what kind of an appeals prose if any. One thing we should cover is exonerating evidence coming to light this kind of thing will come up in many if not most reasonable campaigns.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by BLiZme.2 View Post
    BRC you are an endless font of win.
    Look everybody we have a justice system. The question is what kind of an appeals prose if any. One thing we should cover is exonerating evidence coming to light this kind of thing will come up in many if not most reasonable campaigns.
    Hrmm.
    Maybe District Courts can appeal to the Municipal Court (Provided the Justicators approve the case). An especially important case might be appealed or tried before the City Council, though that would pretty much be limited to the crime of High Treason.

Most evidence used must be vetted and approved by the Justicar's Court. However, if new evidence comes to light after the Justicar's Court has convened, it is possible to get it approved for use.

The simplest matter is to privately present it before the Justicar presiding over the trial, get it approved, and then use it in court. Now, this is a risky tactic. Usually, both sides see the evidence their opponents have during the Justicar's trial, if you get evidence approved in this way, you can surprise the opposition. However, if the Justicar believes that you had this evidence before the Lawyer's Court began, they will likely disprove it, and you may even be charged with Withholding Evidence or Tampering with a Trial In-Progress.

The other, more dramatic option, is to claim that this new evidence drastically changes the nature of the case. In which case you can move to have the entire case retried, starting over at the Justicar's Court. In order to do that, you need approval from the Justicar presiding over the case, and from three justicars to form a new Tribunal.

If new evidence arises after somebody has been foudn guilty, you can undergo a similar process, stating that the new evidence is important enough to exonerate them. You can request a new trail. Of course, this is tricky to pull off unless you've got some serious new evidence (Like somebody else confessing to the crime).
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-07-09 at 11:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ BRC that sounds a bought right (FYI ,and I think this is weird, in the US an expert on any topic pertinent to a trial can be excluded from a jury because they might conflict with expert whiteness and in historic England you needed to know the defendant because then you could judge them? Weird stuff) also what is the compensation for being on a jury and I assume it is illegal to be fired or otherwise penalized for jury duty (it might still happen but it would be illegal).

Here is my tier 1 and 2 floor plan and a tentative floor plan for PCS it is in two floors 1 & 2. Also here are my preliminary revisions of the lake and port.

On the Port map.
    Every island is part of the city and has buildings spanning between it and its neighbors or the shore with small for ships water level passages under the city and bridging except the single large channel which is clear throughout.

On the Lake map
    Do you guys think the channel district should come out of the grove or the mages district ie the top mage or bottom grove (my preference is the mages district but I want to here any dissenting opinions)?
    The millennium grove district would creep into the upper crust Lake District whose mane I forget and don’t want to look up just now along the islands on the bottom of the map in my opinion
    The mages district port would be along the lake shore near the start of the river and going partway up the ?inlet{right word?}? and if the channels come out of the mages district they would be based around that inlet and the peninsula it (the inlet) forms one edge of.( upper crust Lake District is primarily in the lower right section of the lake and most of the center { much of the mage port and some of the wider deeper channels probability have much higher “ceilings” than most of the “clear” sections of the lake})

On the T1 and 2 stations
    the small squiggles on the left and right sides are where you could stretch the station and make the building square you would add more benches and shops and would recenter the info kiosk 1 blue square is 5 feet

Interesting aside most maps of and presumably in Ishka would not be oriented north up by default bit rather east or west up (I am partial to up river to the right and down river to the left and I don’t know why it just seems right to me) depending on weather the river flows NS or SN.I think this would mean most if not all Ishkan cartographers orient there maps to match up with the standard orientation of the city for convenience. This has some odd implications but is jus one more cool little detail of the setting IMO.

Also I reiterate did we decide the mountains are to the north or south I do not recall.

10. - Top - End - #1270

@BRC: Once again you are a shinny light of brilliance. Would it be safe to say that, with some variations, this is how the District Courts work as well? I say some variations because obviously some of the districts will have their own ideas of how courts are to be run, but most have decided to adopt similar systems with the addition of their own flavor.

@BLiZme.2: The first two nation I outlined were ones I had previously mentioned some 20 pages ago and seem to have been generally agreed on. The other three were the ones you named and I just gave them a little extra flavor.

In regard to The Canal District, I would go with having it come off of the Mages Port.

In regard to The Port District, as written the Nature Preserve, Sphen, is what occupies the ends of the peninsulas and most of the island.
    Point of Interest: Sphen
    Description: What began as a small village of Water Shugejas and Druids who's only interest was the observation of local wildlife on an Island of the coast of present day Ishka, has since become absorbed by the city as it spread toward the ocean. Home to may different types of flora and fauna not found anywhere else, the Druids made a deal with the city to keep the area as a nature preserve. Sphen has since expanded to include all the islands that surround the harbor as well as a significant portion of the peninsulas coming off of the main land. The Druids and Water Shugenjas have stayed to continue their observations and also to protect the site. In exchange they help protect the Harbor and it's waters, helping to keep the waters calm and the trade winds blowing. At this point there are foot bridges connecting the islands to each other as well as to the peninsulas. These bridges are part of a network of trails set up throughout the sanctuary where visitors can come to observe the magnificent wildlife for themselves. Though there are no Stations or any other "city buildings", there are several tall observation towers that dot the islands. There are also a pair of Light Houses that mark the entry into the Harbor.
    In regard to the orientation of Ishka, so far in my description of the nations surrounding Ishka and it's surrounding geography, I have been going under the assumption that Ishka runs from the lake in the north to the sea in the south, with the river therefore running north to south. I like you idea of having maps essentially oriented with North being the right side instead of the top. It makes it interesting and quirky, and just makes one more thing that outsiders have to get used to.

@Owrtho: I like your idea of a floating nation which I suggest should be fairly far away from Ishka, perhaps even on a different continent. However, if people don't like the idea on Ishka Prime, then perhaps one of the Secret Districts is on a "Pandora"esque planet that supplies "Float Stone" to Ishka
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2010-07-10 at 01:50 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Dwarf in the Playground

On the port my bad thanks. Is it cool if we cut the peninsula bit though? It makes drawing this easier as I won’t have to redraw it again with "real" peninsulas? Any objections anyone?

@ Silverscale we appear to have miscommunicated I will explain later i have to go now.
    Last edited by BLiZme.2; 2010-07-12 at 11:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1272

On the lakes my bad thanks. Is it cool if we cut the peninsula bit though? It makes drawing this easier as I won’t have to redraw it again with "real" peninsulas? Any objections anyone?

@ Silverscale:
    we appear to have miss-communicated I will explain later i have to go now.
    You have me very confused right now....i didn't say anything about the lakes except as a tangent in reference to The Canal District. Are you talking about The Port District????? if that's the case then what you have looks great. Actually the way you have it drawn the buildings of the Port District would fill in the peninsulas and Sphen would encompass the islands.
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2010-07-12 at 12:30 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes I was talking about the port my bad it is edited. I was in a rush and misread before I posted I was in an unexpected rush and did not have time to write my whole post.

The lake reference came up because I was going to point out that if the channels came out primarily from the port itself then they would cut strait through the heart of the mages district on its way out whereas if they came out from the inlet (& therefore the edge of the port) they are closest to where they are used. Plus that means we aren’t mixing the flavor of those two districts. Further it makes more sense to use the closer location and there would be less magical runoff as well.

So on to the main point first you’re description looks like this. Correct?

We have a small issue the listed elf nation is Elair'ina (at least that’s what I ment) it was the only other nation I remembered so I named it. I was not clear on that sorry my bad.

I have taken the liberty of drawing a world map to explain my preferred layout and here is the first draft with tectonic plaits and labels. Here are just the landmass and some rivers.
    The ruins are the nation the golden army was used on and as I recall there was originally a desert to one side of Ishka and the channels serve to irrigate it thus the western side is a desert and I put the ruins to the east.
    I put the elves of Elair'ina to the north because they are over the mountains and near the lake as described before

Interesting consequence for the weathered to make sense (i.e. there is rain shadow west of Ishka for a desert) giving my drawing the planet would spin west to east not east to west like earth.

14. - Top - End - #1274

Yes I was talking about the port my bad it is edited. I was in a rush and misread before I posted I was in an unexpected rush and did not have time to write my whole post.
    Now it makes sense....Hopefully the compromise from my last post makes everything work.

The lake reference came up because I was going to point out that if the channels came out primarily from the port itself then they would cut strait through the heart of the mages district on its way out whereas if they came out from the inlet (& therefore the edge of the port) they are closest to where they are used. Plus that means we aren’t mixing the flavor of those two districts. Further it makes more sense to use the closer location and there would be less magical runoff as well.
    That makes more sense....we don't need The Canal District down the middle of The Mages District.

So on to the main point first you’re description looks like this. Correct?
    If the relatively straight line with the circle at one end is Ishka then yes that's a very crude map of the world around Ishka. I imagine that's only a very small portion of the planet as it's really only naitons that surround Ishka

We have a small issue the listed elf nation is Elair'ina (at least that’s what I ment) it was the only other nation I remembered so I named it. I was not clear on that sorry my bad.
    But it works nicely to have the two different nations who each contribute something different to Ishka

I have taken the liberty of drawing a world map to explain my preferred layout and here is the first draft with tectonic plaits and labels. Here are just the landmass and some rivers.
    The ruins are the nation the golden army was used on and as I recall there was originally a desert to one side of Ishka and the channels serve to irrigate it thus the western side is a desert and I put the ruins to the east.
    I put the elves of Elair'ina to the north because they are over the mountains and near the lake as described before
    They're a little hard to make out but from what I can tell they look good

Interesting consequence for the weathered to make sense (i.e. there is rain shadow west of Ishka for a desert) giving my drawing the planet would spin west to east not east to west like earth.
    Not every planet has to spin the same direction.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now it makes sense....Hopefully the compromise from my last post makes everything work.
    Kay

That makes more sense....we don't need The Canal District down the middle of The Mages District.
    agreed

If the relatively straight line with the circle at one end is Ishka then yes that's a very crude map of the world around Ishka. I imagine that's only a very small portion of the planet as it's really only naitons that surround Ishka
    Yes. Yes. and Yes.
    Yes it is it was just to get the relation down

But it works nicely to have the two different nations who each contribute something different to Ishka
    how about we move one to the eastern continent that also explains why elves are the original natives of the sunset isles {they are elves right?} (whichever is on the Ishkan continent has the air ship ban the other dose not IMO) that still means we don’t know who lives on the south western island and where the human colony not on the Ishkan continent is (also how dos the name Kragonmorth sound for the dwarf continent?).

They're a little hard to make out but from what I can tell they look good
    I will se what i can do about that.

Not every planet has to spin the same direction.
    True im just pointing it out So the sun rises in the west and sets in the east

16. - Top - End - #1276

how about we move one to the eastern continent that also explains why elves are the original natives of the sunset isles {they are elves right?} (whichever is on the Ishkan continent has the air ship ban the other dose not IMO)
    That works i guess. I just think they shouldn't be too far away since they've played an important role in the development of Ishka with all of their secrets of magic, in colaberation with The Collected Colleges and The Mages District.

that still means we don’t know who lives on the south western island and where the human colony not on the Ishkan continent is
    This may be part of the "DM fill-in"

(also how dos the name Kragonmorth sound for the dwarf continent?).
    Works for me.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well if we are reversing the fluff Vis-à-vis the geography and the name we can jus go with they use lots of teleportation and get around that way as they are the world master mages in that case and maybe the Elair'ina elves are traditionalists who left the old country in disgust millennia ago.

oh oh oh i just had a stroke ... Of brilliance maybe the human colony mentioned sailed to a largely uninhabited section of the eleven home continent and eventually the two cultures merged (driving the Elair'ina into the arms of there Fae cousins across the see) and now the "old country" is a half elven nation with ancient elven secrets tempered with human adaptability and ambition?

I like the idea of leaving the western continent up for dm customization good call IMO.

18. - Top - End - #1278

Point of Interest: River Walk Trail
    Description: Though most of the river is poorly light and not very attractive to look at with all the buildings overhead, some sections particularly those that run near sections of The Groves, have been maintained as scenic walks were people can take in a bit of nature even at the bottom of the city. Like The Groves, River Walk Trail is actually several separate sections of trail each not much more than a few miles long depending on how big the nearby grove is.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1279

{Uh oh! Ishka made it to page 4.}

I've updated the Wiki to reflect the recent additions. Anyone have any more ideas for other nations, or special airships?

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Ogre in the Playground

Not off the top of my head. Something I was wondering though, how does Ishka relate to the Far Realm? Seems like there might be some special stuff with it.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-07-23 at 09:32 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

21. - Top - End - #1281

how does Ishka relate to the Far Realm? Seems like there might be some special stuff with it.
    Well one of the Labs in The University is connected to the Far Realm through a series of Gated Pocket Dimensions. And we have Deepmire which is a district for all things strange, although that's mostly for strange things from this realm not so much the Far Realms.....

Perhaps the Far Realm is the source of some high level problem for players to take care of. I don't think Ishka should be directly connected to the Far Realms because that would just be too weird even for Ishka.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Dwarf in the Playground

(hi im new to thread)
    first i think that the far realm could be the orgin of the gate raiders.
    second i notice there are only two evil saints.

Person of interest (saint)
    domains greed, evil (any others?)
    Kalim Vommehr was one of the greatest Alliance assassins and was one of the first. After joining the Alliance his crimes became more and more audacious, attacking some of the most important people in Ishka, eventually he try'd to assassinate the city council, and failed. which was followed by a city wide man hunt (Ishka was not nearly as big back then) but that to was fruitless. Many think he's still alive but they ARE just conspiracy theorists, right? Eventually a shrine popped up to him in the temple district
    when ever the shrine was closed it would pop up again somewhere else the next day (always in temple district) eventually they just stopped trying.

have Edited. thanks Owrthro and Silverscale (i have checked the wiki [the info on Hulect was out dated but i did do a pretty bad job at fixing it
    Last edited by Temassasin; 2011-02-03 at 05:36 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Threeshades
    look for my community dungeon building thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post10591561
    At least with Chaos you know where you stand which is everywhere and anywhere" Forum Explorer

"Why are you upside down?"-Ender

"who wouldn't like Belkar carrying around a head 10/10"-wxdruid

"Destruction always comes before creation. And for that goal even my conscience must be cast aside"-Lelouch Vi Britania

23. - Top - End - #1283

@Temassasin: First of all welcome to the thread. Be careful of Thread Necromancy since this is an oldish thread.

Interesting idea about the connection between the Far-Realms and the Raiders.

As to the Saint, It's been a while since I have given much thought to Ishka so at the moment I'm not sure about it. Let me look through my Wiki (which I suggest you do as well to get an easier to follow description of everything) and I'll get back to you on that idea. Off the top of my head it seems like the start to a good idea that needs to be fleshed out a bit more....what where his major crimes? when was he around? is he still around? what did he do to get the Alliance started?.........

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'd first note that this has for the most part been considered complete, but more due to people not being able to think of more to expand on than anything else. As for your suggestions:

the gate raiders are intentionally left without an official origin (similar to Ravenshome and for mostly the same reasons). They it give the setting something the dm can fill in if they want, or leave unknown and can add some mystery to the setting. That said, there are possible explanations offered, and as such that could work well as one.

As for the saint, you make a good point on the lack of evil ones. That said, I'd suggest some changes. First, no one knows who the founder of the Alliance is. Again that is similar to the above, but also due to the rather indistinct nature of the Alliance, the lack of any proper record keeping at the time it was made, and the fact that it was intentionally kept secret when started and those who took part in the formation would have worked to keep such information from getting out.
    As such there are two ways to go with adjusting the saint. Make it just a prominent early member of the alliance, or make it similar to the Stone Raven, where it is less a known individual, and more a concept or idea. If the latter is chosen, I'd propose the following:

The Founders
    Domains: pick some that fit
    While the identities of the original founders of the Cut-Throat Alliance are a mystery, there are still those that would pray to them for help. As such shrines for the Founders began to appear. Often they can be seen hidden or tucked away in alleys or currently empty buildings of the Temple District, though due to their illicit nature, are often gone if one seeks to return. The founders are usually depicted as three cloaked figures in conference, of which no distinguishing features may be made out. No one is certain why three was chosen as the number, and indeed there are occasionally those shrines that have only two or have four or more, but three is by far the most common. Rumour has it that somewhere in the temple district there is a temple to the founders, and that it may be accessed through some of the smaller shrines that show up, though if such a place exists it would likely need to constantly be moved.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

25. - Top - End - #1285

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I'd first note that this has for the most part been considered complete, but more due to people not being able to think of more to expand on than anything else. As for your suggestions:

the gate raiders are intentionally left without an official origin (similar to Ravenshome and for mostly the same reasons). They it give the setting something the dm can fill in if they want, or leave unknown and can add some mystery to the setting. That said, there are possible explanations offered, and as such that could work well as one.

As for the saint, you make a good point on the lack of evil ones. That said, I'd suggest some changes. First, no one knows who the founder of the Alliance is. Again that is similar to the above, but also due to the rather indistinct nature of the Alliance, the lack of any proper record keeping at the time it was made, and the fact that it was intentionally kept secret when started and those who took part in the formation would have worked to keep such information from getting out.
    As such there are two ways to go with adjusting the saint. Make it just a prominent early member of the alliance, or make it similar to the Stone Raven, where it is less a known individual, and more a concept or idea. If the latter is chosen, I'd propose the following:

The Founders
    Domains: pick some that fit
    While the identities of the original founders of the Cut-Throat Alliance are a mystery, there are still those that would pray to them for help. As such shrines for the Founders began to appear. Often they can be seen hidden or tucked away in alleys or currently empty buildings of the Temple District, though due to their illicit nature, are often gone if one seeks to return. The founders are usually depicted as three cloaked figures in conference, of which no distinguishing features may be made out. No one is certain why three was chosen as the number, and indeed there are occasionally those shrines that have only two or have four or more, but three is by far the most common. Rumour has it that somewhere in the temple district there is a temple to the founders, and that it may be accessed through some of the smaller shrines that show up, though if such a place exists it would likely need to constantly be moved.

Owrtho
    Interesting but I'm going to wait to see what other people have to say....if anything.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Dwarf in the Playground

a bit of history of Ishka

centuries ago when ishka was starting to use magic in its construction two magicians had a feud about different ways magic should be used. Tom Edwardson was a very talented Enchanter making many constructions which were very powerful such as the great lantern and the (forgot name used by fire fighters) though then they were only useful locally. Nik lates ( La-Tez) was a Enchanter who was not as strong as his old teacher ,Edwardson, but was ingenious it is through his work that Edwardsons devices could work eveery where not just locally.
    PS. 100 points for whoever can tell where i got the names from.
    Last edited by Temassasin; 2011-02-04 at 11:09 PM.
    look for my community dungeon building thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post10591561
    At least with Chaos you know where you stand which is everywhere and anywhere" Forum Explorer

"Destruction always comes before creation. And for that goal even my conscience must be cast aside"-Lelouch Vi Britania

27. - Top - End - #1287

Quote Originally Posted by Temassasin View Post
    a bit of history of Ishka

Spoiler
    Show
    centuries ago when ishka was starting to use magic in its construction two magicians had a feud about different ways magic should be used. Tom Edwardson was a very talented Enchanter making many constructions which were very powerful such as the great lantern and the (forgot name used by fire fighters) though then they were only useful locally. Nik lates ( La-Tez) was a Enchanter who was not as strong as his old teacher ,Edwardson, but was ingenious it is through his work that Edwardsons devices could work eveery where not just locally.

PS. 100 points for whoever can tell where i got the names from.
    Thomas Edison and Nickola Tesla.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thomas Edison and Nickola Tesla.
    correct(was it really that obvious) anyway anybody have a campaign for Ishka we only have 1 so far and thats about a giant trash hole

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Troll in the Playground

correct(was it really that obvious) anyway anybody have a campaign for Ishka we only have 1 so far and thats about a giant trash hole
    I was in two, both of which died within a month. (first one was within a week or so)

Go Tigers!

30. - Top - End - #1290

I'll give you a free internet if you can identify the name-sake of the F.C.C. (The description can be found about half way down on the Points of Interest page in the Ishka Wiki to help refresh your memory)

Spoiler
    Show