New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 55 FirstFirst ... 318192021222324252627282930313233343536373853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

I'm just observing that your average pirate ship, once you factor in all the boring npc's doing uninteresting jobs, would get quite cramped with the fifteen* people on it, I imagine.

*BRC has two pc's.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

2. - Top - End - #812
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Didn't the big-hatted captain have four ships? besides we have already seen one NPC pirate so why shouldn't there be more? (if Jack Sparrow could run a ship with two guys then 14 can't be a problem)
    I'm slightly confused...are the main pirate characters part of Enormous Hat Captain's crew, or do they have their own ship and he's an antagonist?

I'd kinda prefer if it is just one ship, but I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I geuss I would assume that we're all in the same fleet, but we have two or three ships.

EDIT: I expanded Mr. X's "backstory" in the post I mentioned him in.
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-08-22 at 04:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I'm just observing that your average pirate ship, once you factor in all the boring npc's doing uninteresting jobs, would get quite cramped with the fifteen* people on it, I imagine.

*BRC has two pc's.
    Not really, there's a lot of stuff to do on a ship and pirate ships usually have some crewmen just for fighting too (as opposite to trade ships who have guards) and IIRC Threeshades said that the hat guy ha a fleet not jut one ship.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    I'm slightly confused...are the main pirate characters part of Enormous Hat Captain's crew, or do they have their own ship and he's an antagonist?

I'd kinda prefer if it is just one ship, but I guess it doesn't really matter.
    That's up to the persons themselves, but I think they are supposed to be part of hat captain' crew.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

After checking the relavent posts, there are four ships.

6. - Top - End - #816

Hmm...
    I might have time to come in as a minor character at some point (as somebody said, always around to lurch around drunkenly and hang a lampshade ) (or something like that), but I'm probably not going to have time to be in more than one plot, as I'm gonna attempt to start up my own (non-OOTS) webcomic.
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Bugbear in the Playground

A question about TSS: would it be okay if I made a British Indonesian Aquaroyian naval captain that's charged with, among other things, the arrest of pirates? I know that she fits into the setting, but I'm not certain whether the plot would allow a British Aquaroy navy.

8. - Top - End - #818

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    I'm not certain whether the plot would allow a British Aquaroy navy.
    It can if you want it to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

A question about TSS: would it be okay if I made a British Indonesian Aquaroyian naval captain that's charged with, among other things, the arrest of pirates? I know that she fits into the setting, but I'm not certain whether the plot would allow a British Aquaroy navy.
    That's what Zeppeli's doing, though he's independent; not associated with any navy or anything.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, let's go for being part of captain "Stashing" 's crew. If we don't like it, we just split off and go independant, earning us a powerful antagonist.

Edit: also, considering the facilities available on most ships, pretty much all crewsprites are made out of dirty laundry.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-08-22 at 10:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't think I would post this in the comic section, simply because it really doesn't pertain to anything.
    Spoiler
    Show

For some reason Inkscape messed up his horns when I exported...

12. - Top - End - #822
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's my character for TSS:

Spoiler
    Show

Commodore Seléne Ne-Vie

Origin: The nation of Kasca Ru is a economically developing kingdom sandwiched somewhere in-between major naval powers. For years, it has been a somewhat backward country following an exhausting war with neighboring empires and, only recently with the onset of more peaceful relations, was it able to finally focus its attention on its infrastructure and its economy. Even though it's not a major power per se, Kasca Ru held a few scattered overseas territories that it has, for years, defended bitterly from intrusion. Now, as it attempts to secure a trade route to and from these islands and solidify its infrastructure, the emerging problem of piracy and overland banditry - once a meager oversight to a war-minded nation - quickly became one of the greatest of the nation's obstacles.

To protect its merchants, Kasca Ru has attempted to defend its trade routes using its own military, although neither the war-beaten, retiring veterans nor the fresh young recruits could do much against this new threat. The nation has managed to narrowly suppress the overland bandits by re-commissioning old war generals for training and tactical advisory, but no matter how many ships the nation manages to build with its meager resources, its lack of naval experience is almost clear - most of the navy consists of young volunteers selected through very poor criteria, given bare minimal training, and expected to properly defend the open seas when their ability is often less than a common deck hand on an outlaw ship.

To this day, the nation's only salvation are a select few commissioned officers, often selected from sons and daughters of veterans who are lucky enough to study naval combat from a foreign nation. Because the entire weight of combat is often placed on the shoulders of these individuals, these commissioned star officers are often the cream of their crop, able to defend themselves against multiple assailants with swordsmanship comparable to songs and urban legends.

Even so, the mortality rate of sailors are equally legendary; most of the nation's few ships are populated by inexperienced, often problematic sailors, forcing these admirals and commodores to personally command voyages instead of leaving it in the hands of their captains. Five capable naval commanders were commissioned at the founding of the navy; one year later, though their names and accomplishments earned the fear of many naval scoundrels, two of them have already succumbed. It may only be a matter before the others would follow...

Story: Seléne was a privileged individual; his father was a military officer that survived the war, and through his contacts, the girl was able to secure a good education. When the country's own facilities failed her, she was sent overseas - full tuition paid by her family - to learn the trades and knowledge of Kasca Ru's more powerful neighbors.

The girl eventually settled on naval administration, to the dismay of her parents. Supposedly, Kasca Ru has a long history of gender roles that, while not as severe as Medieval Europe, still barred females from joining the military. However, Kasca Ru's navy is deficient and inexperienced; its king does not have the luxury to worry about gender roles, and upon her return, Seléne was immediately commissioned as a commodore in the new Kascan armada.

Even now, Seléne spends much of her days aboard the H.S.S. Bonny, battling scourges of the sea, disease, exhaustion, the incompetence of her crew, and various dissents arising from being the only female in the Kuscan military.

Abilities: As a commodore, Seléne was forced to make up for what her subordinates lack in experience and combat expertise. This and years of studying with foreign officers and duelists has sharpened the girl's skills with a blade, making her exceptional in combat.

As her sword's design suggests, Seléne prefers Oriental - more specifically, Chinese - martial arts to the traditional European swashbuckling. She moves around like a cat in battle - running atop masts and staircases and often leaping over structures and people to evade damage. She has a bit of improbably swordsmanship on her side derived from Martial Arts Cinema, which contributes quite significantly to why the H.S.S. Bonny still stands to this day.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2009-08-23 at 05:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Made follow-up comic to yours, Bright

And yes, he really is quite a thief

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

Did he just steal a table.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Spoiler
    Show

Commodore Seléne Ne-Vie

Origin: The nation of Kasca Ru is a economically developing kingdom sandwiched somewhere in-between major naval powers. For years, it has been a somewhat backward country following an exhausting war with neighboring empires and, only recently with the onset of more peaceful relations, was it able to finally focus its attention on its infrastructure and its economy. Even though it's not a major power per se, Kasca Ru held a few scattered overseas territories that it has, for years, defended bitterly from intrusion. Now, as it attempts to secure a trade route to and from these islands and solidify its infrastructure, the emerging problem of piracy and overland banditry - once a meager oversight to a war-minded nation - quickly became one of the greatest of the nation's obstacles.

To protect its merchants, Kasca Ru has attempted to defend its trade routes using its own military, although neither the war-beaten, retiring veterans nor the fresh young recruits could do much against this new threat. The nation has managed to narrowly suppress the overland bandits by re-commissioning old war generals for training and tactical advisory, but no matter how many ships the nation manages to build with its meager resources, its lack of naval experience is almost clear - most of the navy consists of young volunteers selected through very poor criteria, given bare minimal training, and expected to properly defend the open seas when their ability is often less than a common deck hand on an outlaw ship.

To this day, the nation's only salvation are a select few commissioned officers, often selected from sons and daughters of veterans who are lucky enough to study naval combat from a foreign nation. Because the entire weight of combat is often placed on the shoulders of these individuals, these commissioned star officers are often the cream of their crop, able to defend themselves against multiple assailants with swordsmanship comparable to songs and urban legends.

Even so, the mortality rate of sailors are equally legendary; most of the nation's few ships are populated by inexperienced, often problematic sailors, forcing these admirals and commodores to personally command voyages instead of leaving it in the hands of their captains. Five capable naval commanders were commissioned at the founding of the navy; one year later, though their names and accomplishments earned the fear of many naval scoundrels, two of them have already succumbed. It may only be a matter before the others would follow...

Story: Seléne was a privileged individual; his father was a military officer that survived the war, and through his contacts, the girl was able to secure a good education. When the country's own facilities failed her, she was sent overseas - full tuition paid by her family - to learn the trades and knowledge of Kasca Ru's more powerful neighbors.

The girl eventually settled on naval administration, to the dismay of her parents. Supposedly, Kasca Ru has a long history of gender roles that, while not as severe as Medieval Europe, still barred females from joining the military. However, Kasca Ru's navy is deficient and inexperienced; its king does not have the luxury to worry about gender roles, and upon her return, Seléne was immediately commissioned as a commodore in the new Kascan armada.

Even now, Seléne spends much of her days aboard the H.S.S. Bonny, battling scourges of the sea, disease, exhaustion, the incompetence of her crew, and various dissents arising from being the only female in the Kuscan military.

Abilities: As a commodore, Seléne was forced to make up for what her subordinates lack in experience and combat expertise. This and years of studying with foreign officers and duelists has sharpened the girl's skills with a blade, making her exceptional in combat.

As her sword's design suggests, Seléne prefers Oriental - more specifically, Chinese - martial arts to the traditional European swashbuckling. She moves around like a cat in battle - running atop masts and staircases and often leaping over structures and people to evade damage. She has a bit of improbably swordsmanship on her side derived from Martial Arts Cinema, which contributes quite significantly to why the H.S.S. Bonny still stands to this day.
    It's a world with only islands and water, everything is overseas Nice story by the way

@Grim: Where the heck do he hide a table ?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    Did he just steal a table.
    Yep, he did. Don't ask, as it was propably also nailed to the floor as per usual when in ships

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

For anyone who might wonder, Manpower's fleet contains of the following four ships:
    -Mustard Queen (flagship)
    -Blue Murder
    -Heart of Booty
    -Ship

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    For anyone who might wonder, Manpower's fleet contains of the following four ships:
    -Mustard Queen (flagship)
    -Blue Murder
    -Heart of Booty
    -Ship
    They named a ship "Ship"?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

They named a ship "Ship"?
    You act like a Captain has time to name a ship between the rum and the plunderin'.
    My other avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    You act like a Captain has time to name a ship between the rum and the plunderin'.
    IRL pirates were very organised and not just a bunch of drunken idiots, they were also extremely superstitious and (among other things such as thinking that learning to swim is tempting fate) threated their ships as actual persons and naming them.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

IRL pirates were very organised and not just a bunch of drunken idiots, they were also extremely superstitious and (among other things such as thinking that learning to swim is tempting fate) threated their ships as actual persons and naming them.
    IRL Pirates were all human too.

Also, I'd make a TSS Comic, but I really owe all 6 of my readers a new Rob and Jack.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-08-23 at 08:48 AM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

You also forget that this particular captain has to do quadruple the plunderin' for his four ships. Probably quadruple the rum, too.
    My other avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    You also forget that this particular captain has to do quadruple the plunderin' for his four ships. Probably quadruple the rum, too.
    Pirate admirals with control of more than 4 ships did exist IIRC.

Rum was watered down in the pirate era because regular water got bad when on long naval journeys but if the alcohol was too strong then your chances of surviving swimming across the ocean would be better.

A captain with four ships would need to do less actually, he could just let the ones responsible fore the three other ships take care of their crew while he took care of his in battles thus he did the same work himself as a regular captain and got quadruple the treasure.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Maybe they just liked the name "Ship"?
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Maybe they just liked the name "Ship"?
    That sounds fine to me I just asked.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show

Commodore Seléne Ne-Vie

Hey, I also have an anti-pirate character. Maybe we should team up?

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Hey, I also have an anti-pirate character. Maybe we should team up?
    A navy soldier protecting her country's trade and a lost viking (aka northern pirate) teaming up together?... Sounds great
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I smell cheese! And Ham!

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

A navy soldier protecting her country's trade and a lost viking (aka northern pirate) teaming up together?... Sounds great
    The lost vikings was an awesome game.

And the ship's name is "Ship". They just thought the name was very pragmatic.
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2009-08-23 at 01:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    The lost vikings was an awesome game.

And the ship's name is "Ship". They just thought the name was very pragmatic.
    Never heard of it (not surprising those few games we get are published horrible late)

Pragmatic and original ('cause I don't think anyone has thought of it before)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.