New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice, Trip to Baator

Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post
    3rd - 20 minutes by train? You're laughing. Thats absolutely nothing. I live in london, so the last time i dated a girl 20 minutes walk away i thought it was close. 20 minutes on the subway is nothing.
    Erm... You are aware, aren't you, that 20 minutes' walk away is MUCH less than 20 minute train, right?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Erm... You are aware, aren't you, that 20 minutes' walk away is MUCH less than 20 minute train, right?
    In a sense...it isn't. It's much easier to sit on a train for 20 minutes than to walk 20 minutes. More comfortable, too, since trains are climate-controlled.
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Ofcourse train is moar expensive, and you can't just 1-2-3 hop onto a bicycle or walk there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DD the Cookiemonster View Post
    Ofcourse train is moar expensive, and you can't just 1-2-3 hop onto a bicycle or walk there.
    This is true, too, I suppose. I guess I just consider the convenience worth it? I mean, I don't even like walking to my mailbox...(in my defence, that's 1.5 miles in GA summer weather. >.<)...

5. - Top - End - #425

You have to walk to and from the train, too... That could easily come out as a 20 minute walk each way (that is, to her house and back to yours), anyway.

6. - Top - End - #426

NecromancerGuy

mmm, that sounds like a nice hike, there, Cobes.

Providing you're wearing the right...stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #427
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, the issue is, it's like a 20 minute subway ride, then he picks me up from the station, to go to his house, which is about a 10 minute drive away. Same deal if he comes down to Berkeley, to visit me. In any case, he needs to drive to the subway station, and since he doesn't have a car, we're very dependent on whether or not there's a car available (and he can't exactly say he has a date, because not only is this a gay relationship, I'm also two years older than him, which would freak out his parents). Geographically, he's about 12 miles away, which is fairly minor, yes, but it's another complication on top of his rigid High School schedule, the overprotective parents, and both of our own lives.

And I can't bear weight on my left foot until October, so any walking I do is with crutches, which suck to go distances with. Otherwise, I'd just bike to his house, it's only like 12 miles away, no problem. Actually, the crutches are evil for many reasons: they totally restrict the things we'd do together. We want to go running, hiking, cycling, and all the manner of things, but can't. We can't even hold hands while walking. Blah.

But on a positive note, I feel like this relationship is totally worth it :D. He's so creative, intelligent, romantic, energetic, and generally awesome! And this is my first real relationship (well, there was a failed heterosexual one, but that failed for obvious reasons :P). I'm so happy that this all is actually happening. Yay!
    Last edited by Ishmael; 2009-09-08 at 01:45 AM.
    "Call me Ishmael."

Thanks to Adghar for the avatar.

LGBTitP

8. - Top - End - #428

NecromancerGuy

Well, I guess the main thing is for you to get to healing up good so that one obstacle is overcome. Might let you get a bit more initiative and momentum too...
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #429
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Here's a minor story... I think my friend is blowing it out of proportion, but I think he may be right based on the results (so far)

I met this girl and almost instantly her face lit up so I went to talk to her. I got her number, but later on I fell into a conversation with her friend when she left the room. According to my friend who was there with me, said that she looked pissed.

A few days later, I called her and asked if she wanted to go get a cup of coffee, but she said that she was busy. I decided to call her two days later. First time I left a message and the second time, I know that she decided not to answer it so maybe he was right.

I'm just thinking if I should bother with calling her another day or just cutting the line now.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

hawkboy772042

You've called and asked direct. You've called and left a message. If shes interested, she'll get back to you. Either way, the ball is in her court, so i'd leave it up to her. She has your contact details, so can get in touch if she wants to

If infact she is interested, but isn't willing to call back or is waiting for you to call again, then i can only really speculate as to the reasons why... but as a sensible adult i'd say just leave it alone
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hawkboy772042 View Post
    Here's a minor story... I think my friend is blowing it out of proportion, but I think he may be right based on the results (so far)

I met this girl and almost instantly her face lit up so I went to talk to her. I got her number, but later on I fell into a conversation with her friend when she left the room. According to my friend who was there with me, said that she looked pissed.

A few days later, I called her and asked if she wanted to go get a cup of coffee, but she said that she was busy. I decided to call her two days later. First time I left a message and the second time, I know that she decided not to answer it so maybe he was right.

I'm just thinking if I should bother with calling her another day or just cutting the line now.
    Getting her number means either she wants to talk more, or she thinks ignoring you/giving a fake number is a good way of letting someone down gently. How many is "a few days"? You might have waited too long.

What are the ages of everyone involved?
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jalor View Post
    Getting her number means either she wants to talk more, or she thinks ignoring you/giving a fake number is a good way of letting someone down gently. How many is "a few days"? You might have waited too long.

Signs that your interested, when your not and then "ignoring" or just giving false info is a NOT a gentle way to let someone down. Here to point this out.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

Just thought I'd let those of you know who were wondering;
    Telling my dad straight up "Oh, by the way, the guy I'm dating? He's seven years older" (but not really like that) worked pretty well.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

RabbitHoleLost

thats great news - hope things continue smoothly

hawkboy772042

Quote Originally Posted by Jalor View Post

as hawkboy said he's spoken to her on the phone once already, the number is real, but its safe to assume shes not making the return effort

either way - still - leave it up to her. The ball is in her court.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hawkboy772042 View Post

You confuse me. The girl whose number you got looked pissed? Or her friend you chatted with when she left did?

...because, if the second...I sense MUCH DRAMAS! =O

...if the first...she's probably just not that into you? *shrugs*...or just busy. Or one of those sucky "I'm not avoiding you, I swear!" avoiding you people. =P

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Signs that your interested, when your not and then "ignoring" or just giving false info is a NOT a gentle way to let someone down. Here to point this out.
    False info is usually given out to people that they aren't showing interest to but who aren't taking the hint (often because they are drunk). The false info is designed to avoid a confrontation that may occur if the woman rejects the man. Additionally, the woman may be uneasy giving out her real number as the man could be sending up stalker signs.

Ignoring usually occurs when the woman is interested at the time she gave out the number but has changed her mind since. It is just a passive-aggressive move similiar to a guy not calling a girl he got a number from because he changed his mind. It is really the way dating works (or more accurately doesn't work). Plus, it is probably better than brutal honesty.
    Last edited by snoopy13a; 2009-09-09 at 12:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm, how do you stay/get out (of) the friend zone and enter the flirt/date zone?

With a few notes:
    1. We met last week. >.> But she's in mah class and I hang out with her(and several others) at breaks and stuffs. And in class.

2. DD is terrible at flirting. And dating. And girls. Just assume that DD is a total newb, nitwit and noob at girls.....Which he pretty much is(When regarding DD's own ''love life'')

3. The ''if she says no, how do you stay friends'' thing, how do you stay friends? >.> Cause she's awesome, and I dun't want to lose her yet-to-form friendship.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

18. - Top - End - #438
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Hmmm, how do you stay/get out (of) the friend zone and enter the flirt/date zone?

With a few notes:
    1. We met last week. >.> But she's in mah class and I hang out with her(and several others) at breaks and stuffs. And in class.

2. DD is terrible at flirting. And dating. And girls. Just assume that DD is a total newb, nitwit and noob at girls.....Which he pretty much is(When regarding DD's own ''love life'')

3. The ''if she says no, how do you stay friends'' thing, how do you stay friends? >.> Cause she's awesome, and I dun't want to lose her yet-to-form friendship.
    Wait... you're asking how to get out of the (non-existent) Friend Zone with someone you're not even friends with yet, and therefore can't even be in it?
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I"m afraid I need some help too.. um.. you know a "not appropriate for the board' topic

20. - Top - End - #440
    Firbolg in the Playground

Relax. Stay calm. And always bring a jacket.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

21. - Top - End - #441

NecromancerGuy

I think you mean a jimmeh hat.

My PM box is open. Or my AIM, whichever.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Ishmael: Congrats, sounds like you're in a pretty good position actually. Just give some time for your foot to heal/him to get older and as far as the distance, a 20 minute bart ride isn't that much, soldier through.

hawk: You made the offer, either she'll reply or not, in the latter case, just move on, stuff happens.

Armin: I can't guarentee I'll be much help but my box is open as well.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

With a few notes:

obvious question - are you sure she 'bats for the same team' as you? If not it could potentially make things a bit awkward and put a hold on any plans to be friends

even so - if you're still getting aquainted with each other, and know shes single, then i see no harm in asking out out for a cup of "get to know you better" coffee. If theres no flirting, then its time to hang out.

the stay friends after no part is easy. You just carry on as normal as if there was never any change. If you act normal then it gives her less reason to feel awkward. If she still choose to act awkward after that, its her baggage, not yours

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

With a few notes:
    This is not the dreaded friend zone. Yet.

This is more the friendly acquaintance/new friend zone, which is not a bad thing.

Friend zone occurs when you have been friends for such a long amount of time that it becomes difficult to see you as anything more than a friend, or your friendship is such a constant factor of life that they become unwilling to risk it with a relationship.

Not necessarily a bad thing. *shrugs*...some people would find that endearing.

In my personal experience, I've done better with just being friendly than trying to actually flirt. Of course, me being friendly is what some people call flirting, so...*shrugs*...your mileage may vary?

This one is hard. I have no idea.

Just don't do something stupid and hope for the best. It IS possible to have amicable breakups. But after that, things will be VERY tender, so tread carefully.

That said...don't go into a relationship planning on breaking up, yeah? Confidence is key!

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

On flirting: I'm crap with it but evidently I flirt well. So I guess not being too self-conscious is a good thing?

On staying friends after a no: It's not that hard. I've done it several times. The only time it hasn't really worked was when I hadn't seen the guy in a while pre-confession (it was more than an I like you, though), and didn't see him for a while after. I tried to be friendly and got ignored.

And dude, you aren't friend-zoned. You are actually in quite a good position. Most guys I've dated have been when I knew them well enough to know I liked them but not so well that I knew their life story or anything. Granted, this has only worked in my favor once but that one time was when all my friends knew the dude too. ;)

Update on my friend's situation. It's gotten...depressing for me. As for his stuff, it's technically all her stuff since she paid for it and was supposed to get his SSD checks for a few months to pay for it...which she never got, so it's well within her rights to take it back.

He's been calling her every day since last week, but she hasn't been answering anything other than texts. He's been telling his mom and family and all that him and the girl aren't anything but friends, yet telling others they're in a relationship, etc.

Here's the depressing part. He got his SSD on the first of the month and it's already gone, and he got his meds filled not too long ago and is already out- which he shouldn't be. He called a friend over the weekend to see if he'd take him to the pharmacy for a refill (which he actually can't even get without a doctors OK). This isn't good because the girl is known to be a pill popper, and just recently he'd relapsed into addiction but gotten clean (a few years back, before knowing all of us, he'd had a problem too). Chances are, he's using again. Or she's using the medication he needs for his problems (schizophrenia, depression, and bipolar- I was right on that one). I want my friend to be OK and despite telling everyone he's happy...I'm not so sure he's actually OK. Happy maybe, but not OK.

I'll say one thing- my friend's relationship drama's make me very happy that I have pretty much none.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

26. - Top - End - #446
    Pixie in the Playground

xPANCAKEx and Serpentine
    I'm sorry it took me so long to say this, but thank you for the tips. I've got a better concept of what flirting is now and I really appreciate that.

"Mathematics is a dangerous profession; an appreciable proportion of us goes mad." - John Littlewood

27. - Top - End - #447
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hi. Me again, if anyone remembers.

Not so much a problem, really, I just feel I need to discuss.

I plan on asking out thisgirl, not sure if she likes me already. We were chatting on Facebook, got talking about a movie we both liked. Afterwards, she says something along the lines of"I guess we have alot of things in common" I didn't say anything to note, but It got me wondering if she does like me.

I'm planning on asing her out soon, just for lunch on a saturday or something, but I haven't gotten the chance. We have no classes together, and I hang out with my friends at lunch (her friends, too, but she has her own close group). When would be a good opportunity to pull her aside to talk to her?
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Partof1 View Post
    Hi. Me again, if anyone remembers.

Not so much a problem, really, I just feel I need to discuss.

I plan on asking out thisgirl, not sure if she likes me already. We were chatting on Facebook, got talking about a movie we both liked. Afterwards, she says something along the lines of"I guess we have alot of things in common" I didn't say anything to note, but It got me wondering if she does like me.

I'm planning on asing her out soon, just for lunch on a saturday or something, but I haven't gotten the chance. We have no classes together, and I hang out with my friends at lunch (her friends, too, but she has her own close group). When would be a good opportunity to pull her aside to talk to her?
    High School, yah? You can easily get a chance to ask her about in the halls before going back to class.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey.... stupid situation, but one that is starting to get quite uncomfortable.

I think my girlfriend has been ignoring me for the past few days, all because I yelled at her friend's friends in a game. Situation just feels like the stupid to me, and this passive-aggressive "everyone ignore me" bull**** is starting to wear me down, especially after she promised me that she'd never ignore me to hurt me.

STUPID SITUATION IS STUPID AND HURTFUL
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

30. - Top - End - #450

NecromancerGuy

Well, worst comes to worst there's always thermite, though I do not support such decisions.

Have you called her in this period of time? If not, do that, and don't come off as whining, even if you feel she's slighted you, as there's a chance she hasn't actually meant to do anything.
    Homebrew