New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics IV - The Enemy of Your Enemy is Still Your Enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King View Post
    Hm. Yo. Off topic a bit, here..

Uh, hey guys, I grabbed myself a couple melta chicks from the FLGS. How good are they, exactly? Should I convert them to flamers, put them in a (dominion) squad, or set them up at an even 1/1 between my troops so that each has a flamer and a melta? I'm no tactical genius, by far.

I face Orks, 'nids, IG and soon Tau and Eldar, if that helps. Only the last three have tanks, though the nids have huge.. Pointy things.
    From personal experience (as a Tau player, I hate to say this), if you are fighting Tau, make a fast-moving-high-assault list. If you can close on the Tau quickly and pummel the crap out of them, it's simply game over.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics IV - The Enemy of Your Enemy is Still Your Enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    if you want to exterminate nidzillas, Typhus is an excellent character. 50/50 shot at a wound, counts as a force weapon. ZZT. you even get to take a shot with a template first!
    Aren't Tyranids immune to instant death most of the time?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

'Nids are only Immune to "Instant Death caused by weapons with a Strength double of the creature's toughness", and even then only if they are within range of a Synapse creature (usually a HQ choice, or Elite/Heavy of you have Tyranid Warriors/upgraded Zoanthropes in play).

Force Weapons and other 'instant death' psychic powers will work on them just fine, though
    Last edited by Wraith; 2009-12-16 at 07:07 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

How are force weapons worded again? I seem to recall an argument on here as to whether tyranids were immune due to the wording of force weapons.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Colossus in the Playground

Thats as of the last codex- in the new one, Warriors are troops.

Has anyone any info on what rules changes have been made? Is Synapse still the same?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    From personal experience (as a Tau player, I hate to say this), if you are fighting Tau, make a fast-moving-high-assault list.
    Since he's playing Sisters; Fast-moving, heavy assaulting is not playing to his strength. Sisters' strength is fast-moving short-to-medium ranged firepower. A Sisters' WS and S are 3. Whereas their BS and (standard Bolter) strength is 4. I know which I'd want to do.

The only Sisters' unit that has any business being in Assault are Seraphim (Celestians only have one attack, and at S3...Really not that good). My Sisters Repentia have failed at everything they've ever done. So, I hate them. Though, Arco-Flagellants do quite well if you can get a vehicle blockade set up so they don't get shot at.

And, even then; Sisters' 'assault wargear' consists of power weapons and S6 Chainfists.

But, that being said, just about any army there is can out-assault Tau. If they can get into assault. A 'Rhino Rush' shooty army like the Sisters (at least, that's how they're competitively played) tends to not do well if the Tau get the first turn.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-12-16 at 07:43 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #337
    Halfling in the Playground

Note to self buy a couple of bikes and some more Assault marines to fight Tau.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Calsan View Post
    Note to self buy a couple of Bikes to fight everything.
    Fixed it for you.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #339

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Thats as of the last codex- in the new one, Warriors are troops.

Has anyone any info on what rules changes have been made? Is Synapse still the same?
    The new one is released in January - so, for the next, precious month, what I just said is still true....

As for what will be involved in the NEW Codex, a list of rumours for you to peruse: Link!

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

The problem with killing carnifexes or hive tyrant is mostly in the to-wound step. I'm thinking the weapons you have listed is for your 5 terminators, so 4 lightning claw attacks, 3 chainfist attacks (not sure how they differ from normal power fists), and an average of 7 deamon weapon attacks.
    Um... LC were listed per Terminator. Which translated to 16-20 rerolling LC attacks. Chainfists were just gravy 10 str attacks to sure-kill anything that can withstand 22-28 I4-5 attacks from the rest of the unit

Okay... does anyone know which one of the 'real' Demon Princes has the correct base?

Spoiler
    Show
    DEMON PRINCE
    +Mark of Tzeentch
    +Wings
    +Warptime
    +Wind of Chaos
    205 pts

THOUSAND SONS
    Sorcerer
    +Doombolt
    +Personal Icon
    8 TSons
    259 pts

THOUSAND SONS
    Sorcerer
    +Doombolt
    +Personal Icon
    7 TSons
    236 pts

RHINO
    35 pts

RHINO
    35 pts

OBLITERATORS [reserve]
    3 Obliterators
    225 pts

+Dozer Blade, Melta Bobmbs or Rhino Bolter for 5 pts... which one?

1000 pts

Spoiler
    Show
    DEMON PRINCE
    +Mark of Tzeentch
    +Wings
    +Warptime
    +Wind of Chaos
    205 pts

THOUSAND SONS
    Sorcerer
    +Doombolt
    +Personal Icon
    8 TSons
    259 pts

THOUSAND SONS
    Sorcerer
    +Doombolt
    +Personal Icon
    7 TSons
    236 pts

RHINO
    35 pts

RHINO
    35 pts

OBLITERATORS [reserve]
    3xObliterator
    225 pts

OBLITERATORS [reserve]
    3xObliterator
    225 pts

TERMINATORS [reserve]
    4xTerminator
    +Chainfist (or 3x combi-melta)
    135 pts

VINDICATOR
    +Posession
    145 pts

1500 pts

And also, final version. This time I'll ask what would be this army's weakness - does it lack anything?

Question! Does the fact that Rhino is open-topped means the TS can rapidfire anyone from it? And throw spells from it? And use icons? And why the hell there's no 'deep strike' in 5th edition rulebook's index? Is staying in Rhino even safe, or should I disembark them as soon as possible?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Um... LC were listed per Terminator. Which translated to 16-20 rerolling LC attacks. Chainfists were just gravy 10 str attacks to sure-kill anything that can withstand 22-28 I4-5 attacks from the rest of the unit

Okay... does anyone know which one of the 'real' Demon Princes has the correct base?

Spoiler
    Show
    DEMON PRINCE
    +Mark of Tzeentch
    +Wings
    +Warptime
    +Wind of Chaos
    205 pts

THOUSAND SONS
    Sorcerer
    +Doombolt
    +Personal Icon
    8 TSons
    259 pts

THOUSAND SONS
    Sorcerer
    +Doombolt
    +Personal Icon
    7 TSons
    236 pts

RHINO
    35 pts

RHINO
    35 pts

OBLITERATORS [reserve]
    3 Obliterators
    225 pts

+Dozer Blade, Melta Bobmbs or Rhino Bolter for 5 pts... which one?

1000 pts

Spoiler
    Show
    DEMON PRINCE
    +Mark of Tzeentch
    +Wings
    +Warptime
    +Wind of Chaos
    205 pts

THOUSAND SONS
    Sorcerer
    +Doombolt
    +Personal Icon
    8 TSons
    259 pts

THOUSAND SONS
    Sorcerer
    +Doombolt
    +Personal Icon
    7 TSons
    236 pts

RHINO
    35 pts

RHINO
    35 pts

OBLITERATORS [reserve]
    3xObliterator
    225 pts

OBLITERATORS [reserve]
    3xObliterator
    225 pts

TERMINATORS [reserve]
    4xTerminator
    +Chainfist (or 3x combi-melta)
    135 pts

VINDICATOR
    +Posession
    145 pts

1500 pts

And also, final version. This time I'll ask what would be this army's weakness - does it lack anything?

Question! Does the fact that Rhino is open-topped means the TS can rapidfire anyone from it? And throw spells from it? And use icons? And why the hell there's no 'deep strike' in 5th edition rulebook's index? Is staying in Rhino even safe, or should I disembark them as soon as possible?
    Fire Points determines how many models can shoot from the Rhino. I'm pretty sure a Rhino only has 2 or 3, so staying in the Rhino is severly limiting your firepower. As for casting spells, I'm pretty sure that you can do that. Icons: it wouldn't matter, your opponent can't shoot a unit that is inside a vehicle and the Icon doesn't grant any bonuses to the vehicle, so the point is pretty moot. Deep Striking on a Icon, though, you just appear within 6 inches of the vehicle.

My Rhino usually runs up, plants the unit within Rapid Fire range of the enemy, and then heads back out of range to start raining Havoc Launcher missles on the enemy. Of course, this tactic requires Havoc Launcher upgrades.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

This question comes up loads.
    Rhinos have two firepoints.
    Firing from Rhinos is pretty rare anyway, I've seen them used more a mobile cover.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Response spoilered for length. Yeah, I plan on getting me two sets of seraphim for to fight Tau and IG I suppose. Fast and hard-hitting. With possibly three AP1 flamer templates.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    ...Because Sisters just aren't supposed to get that close to the enemy. Unless they can kill everything in the shooting phase with AP1 Flamer templates.
    My sisters are great at that. Also took out a ten-squad of boyz in close combat with only five casualties. It was glorious.

...But, it all depends on what you actually want to do with the unit in question. My opinion is that you should always have a unit of meltagun Dominions on standby. And, if you have the currency, a second unit of Dominions for all-Flamer fun. Dominions with Storm Bolters are just superfluous.
    Oh, totally. Planning on that. Seraphim are a bigger priority for me first though.

But...Sisters are all about the Storm Bolters...They're part of the Holy Trinity (Bolter, Melta, Flamer)...
    Eeehh.. They're really not THAT different from regular bolters, honestly. ...And not as cool, in my opinon.

Also, Dominions should go into Immolators (not Rhinos)...
    This was pretty much a given. Extra fire that causes morale checks? Sign me up!

Count As...Or Proxy?
    I almost hate you. Proxy, I suppose. Used some repainted D&D minis. What's the difference between the two terms?

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Eeehh.. They're really not THAT different from regular bolters, honestly. ...And not as cool, in my opinon.
    Not having to close into assault range in order to not sacrifice half the firepower is "not that different"?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

I almost hate you. Proxy, I suppose. Used some repainted D&D minis. What's the difference between the two terms? [/spoiler]
    I would say that is a stop gap between what I think he means. Counts as I believe is where you grab a deodorant can, the remains of your lunch and a piece of paper as your newest unit of tanks while proxy is where you grab your models and agree some are not what the appear such as the dark reapers are saraphim.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

16. - Top - End - #346
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crazedloon View Post
    I would say that is a stop gap between what I think he means. Counts as I believe is where you grab a deodorant can, the remains of your lunch and a piece of paper as your newest unit of tanks while proxy is where you grab your models and agree some are not what the appear such as the dark reapers are saraphim.
    Personally, I'd disagree.

Both of the examples above: Proxy, although the former is possibly a little less good.

Count-as: Stuff like "I've given this Hellhound tank legs, which count as a dozer blade." (Last codex, the two things came together - Rough Terrain Modification - and had the same effect as they do now, basically.) Or maybe "This guy has two plasma pistols, I'm paying the points for a Mastercrafted plasma pistol to represent him firing both at once as the rules for Twin-Linked and the rules for Mastercrafted, when you get to the crunch, are exactly the same."

Or even "This unit of humans in my Tau army count as Fire Warriors - they're human auxiliaries."

Something more plausible that you might be able to get away with instore or in a more "official" sense, basically.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't the difference essentially
    Counts As: "This unit of pulse-rifle-armed humans in my Tau army count as Fire Warriors - they're human auxiliaries."
    Proxy: "This unit of humans in my Tau army count as Fire Warriors - they're human auxiliaries. Even though the models carry lasguns, they are actually armed with pulse-rifles."
    ?

In other words, Counts As is when the model looks differently than what it is supposed to be, but still reflects all equipment and rules, whereas Proxy has nothing to do with what it is supposed to be whatsoever anymore?
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-12-16 at 02:04 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Not having to close into assault range in order to not sacrifice half the firepower is "not that different"?
    .....Ssssssh. I'm not completely entrenched in the jargon yet. Besides, I kinda like assault range. It's dangerous. Also flamer range.

But arright, I get it. "This fire sword counts as a masterwork power weapon" is counts-as, and "These devotees of the silver flame are seraphim" is proxy. Gotcha.
    Last edited by Mattarias, King.; 2009-12-16 at 02:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey. Im'ma let'choo finish, but can anyone tell me why, in the C'tan's name, a Necron player wouldn't take a monolith in a 3000 point game?
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

Your armies weakness is probably its troops. Two sets of troops means you can only hold two objectives max.

And Rhinos are not open-topped.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey. Im'ma let'choo finish, but can anyone tell me why, in the C'tan's name, a Necron player wouldn't take a monolith in a 3000 point game?
    He was really happy for the monolith, but heavy destroyers are one of the best heavy support choices of all time. One of the best heavy support choices of all time.
    Last edited by Zorg; 2009-12-17 at 12:19 PM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

22. - Top - End - #352

Proxy is using models in place of other models, counts as is using the rules of existing units to represent non-existing units. Counts as models are tournament legal with the agreement of the referees.

This thread has enough examples, but if I were to say "these coins are genestealers" that would be proxy, if I were to say "this custom monster on a carnifex size base has the stats of a carnifex" that would be counts as.

Some units have (or used to have) no official models and had to be converted or used "counts as".

Not everyone builds their armies purely along stragetic lines.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2009-12-17 at 12:30 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    He was really happy for the monolith, but heavy destroyers are one of the best heavy support choices of all time. One of the best heavy support choices of all time.
    3k means either Apocalypse or 2 FOCs, so there's no competition there. I really do not see a reason not to take a Monolith or four in 3k.

Also- You're joking, right? Please? Heavy Destroyers are a joke... Stupid internet hard-to-determine-sarcasm.

EDIT: Counts-as vs proxy: Proxy is when I say "These Guardsmen are proxying Space Marines". They clearly aren't WYSIWYG in any way, all I'm doing is pretending to use something else. Counts-as is when I say "This Rapier Laser Destroyer counts-as a Lascannon team" or "That phenominally large sword counts as a power fist". Usually counts-as applies more to abnormal wargear and converted vehicles than entire units, though I've seen entire counts-as armies. Basically, counts-as produces a consistant, effectively WYSIWYG result while proxy does not. Usually, counts-as results in "okay, that makes sense" while proxy results in "if you say so" or "no, I don't want to do that".
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2009-12-17 at 12:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    I'm questioning this player's sanity, or maybe just his luck. My Skyray and Hammerheads took out his 3 heavy destroyers within the first three rounds. They barely moved, not even to get into cover. I had pathfinders on a hill, and another squad on the flat, but close enough to use their markerlights, lighting them up with markerlights every turn, and all the HDs did was blow up the pathfinders' devil fish (There were 2, so, "devil fishes," maybe?). After that, the HDs were sleepin' with the fishes.

His deployment wasn't bad, but we were playing deep strike rules, and my Shas'El, now Shas'O, and his crisis suit bodyguard (2 suits) deep struck in (finally, a deep strike on target!) and damn near took out his HQ in one turn. I don't know much about necrons, but I think it was a necron lord.

I don't know, but I do know that my Shas'El finally got promoted!

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    3k means either Apocalypse or 2 FOCs, so there's no competition there. I really do not see a reason not to take a Monolith or four in 3k.

Also- You're joking, right? Please? Heavy Destroyers are a joke... Stupid internet hard-to-determine-sarcasm.
    3k means 3k points - multiple FOCs or Apoc are agreed on by the players, not the points values. You could play Apoc or 3 FOCs at 1000 points if you want (and can fill 6 troops and 3 HQs at that level, but the point stands )

And yes, I was joking - see Kanye West at the VMAs and Dsmile's own Kanye joke I quoted... (extra irony as everyone's saying Monoliths are better and Taylor Swift won by popular vote - take that Kanye West!)
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My Skyray and Hammerheads took out his 3 heavy destroyers within the first three rounds. They barely moved, not even to get into cover.
    ...He was doing it wrong. Heavy Destroyers are Jetbikes (Relentless) with Lascannons. They should always be moving at least 12" a turn. His targets should've been your Skyray and Hammerhead. If things were getting dicey, he should've been turbo-boosting for 4+ cover saves.

But, yeah...In 3000 points, he should've been rocking at least two Monoliths.

There were 2, so, "devil fishes," maybe?
    'Fish' is it's own plural. Like sheep. One Devilfish. Two Devilfish. Red Devilfish. Blue Devilfish.

sleepin' with the fishes.
    ...One of the more 'classic' grammatical errors ever seen. And only serves the purpose to make people believe that 'fishes' is a real word. And is a quote cited in many arguments concerning the subject. Don't people realise that it's possible that a source can be wrong?

I don't know much about necrons, but I think it was a necron lord.
    Necron Lords are the only HQ option Necrons have. So it defintely was. And I'm fairly certain that you didn't take his Lord out - not even almost. Because if I know anything, the Lord should've had a Phylactery to get back up - at least twice - to kill you dead.

However, being that he didn't have any Monoliths, and his tactics concerning Heavy Destroyers are questionable at best; I doubt he was doing this.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-12-17 at 04:39 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #357

...One of the more 'classic' grammatical errors ever seen. And only serves the purpose to make people believe that 'fishes' is a real word. And is a quote cited in many arguments concerning the subject. Don't people realise that it's possible that a source can be wrong?

I've always heard it as "sleepin' with the fishies", but that's kinda OT.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #358

Griffon

The grammar is bad but the quote is accurate (From 'The Godfather' and much parodied by 'The Simpsons' as I recall), so in the true spirit of political correctness You're Both Right!

Because he's spent the points on three Pylons instead? I don't know the Necron codex very well, but I've seen the stats on those things and anything that drops a template of Strength 'D' is ALWAYS a viable option in 3k!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2009-12-17 at 05:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Because he's spent the points on three Pylons instead? I don't know the Necron codex very well, but I've seen the stats on those things and anything that drops a template of Strength 'D' is ALWAYS a viable option in 3k!
    Pylons have no template. Just three regular shots. At least, that's what my Apocalypse book says.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-12-17 at 05:43 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

@dsmiles: Promoted? Is this in one of those cool ongoing game -type things, or did you just get a higher point total to play with?