New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Banned

Default Re: Il'deav Ilah'naie's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    Snow! Yay! Ok, so it's thin and it won't lay 'cause everywhere's too wet, but snow! It's ever so pretty. And most importantly, I don't actually have to go outside in the snow. Admiring it from a warm room is the best way to experience snow.
    Snow eh? I guess when you're asleep all day and waken only to feast upon larks, breakfast cereals, etc. you miss out on the weather.

I dreamt of snow if that counts.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Il'deav Ilah'naie's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Snow eh? I guess when you're asleep all day and waken only to feast upon larks, breakfast cereals, etc. you miss out on the weather.

I dreamt of snow if that counts.
    It was snowing here for all of... 5, 10 minutes.
    Around lunch time, you probably only just got up.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

3. - Top - End - #663
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    You know me so well.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hadessniper View Post
    This is the coolest thing ever. It's an Italian singing a fake English song.

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/12/17...rock-song.html
    That is cool.

Also, probably aced my test. Time to slack off.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Really, it's not a massive **** You to Englishspeakers like it appears to be?

Wiggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

Ignore earlier happy snow comments.
    If it ruins my weekend, I'm going postal on.. the.. weather?

Last edited by Kaelaroth; 2009-12-17 at 06:47 PM.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

7. - Top - End - #667

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaroth View Post
    Ignore earlier happy snow comments.
    If it ruins my weekend, I'm going postal on.. the.. weather?

The weathermen, you mean, methinks. What's up, got a blizzard headed your way or just looks like the roads'll be taken out by ice?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The weathermen, you mean, methinks. What's up, got a blizzard headed your way or just looks like the roads'll be taken out by ice?
    Where I live the entire area was brought down last time we had significant snow. This time I'm just hoping the trains won't be shattered - I can at least.. hopefully rely on various non-car forms of public transport to be running.
    And yeah. Damn weathermen.
    With their clipboards.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Yep. And then again a few hours ago. It was fairly unremarkable, but I love snow. There is ice forming on the inside of my windows now though, so my love of the cold is fading somewhat.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

It snowed here for about 15 minutes but it snowed hard. The town was completely transformed in such a small amount of time!

I couldn't see much of it though because the snow kept blowing in my face.

And as usual, chaos broke out. Took me well over an hour to get home.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

On the subject of snow, we currently have a blizzard. And Nameless’ phobia of wind does not help his situation.

12. - Top - End - #672

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    On the subject of snow, we currently have a blizzard. And Nameless’ phobia of wind does not help his situation.
    Wind Phobia? Really?

Blizzards near south-central England?
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

Wind Phobia? Really?

Blizzards near south-central England?
    Apparently this is what a blizzard is anyway. Although the snow has stopped now, so it's mostly just very strong winds and low tempratures.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-12-17 at 07:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #674

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Apparently this is what a blizzard is anyway. Although the snow has stopped now, so it's mostly just very strong winds and low tempratures.
    Yeah, icy temperatures, strong winds, and a snowstorm. Sometimes it's an ice storm instead. And other times it's a mixture of sleet and snow and freezing rain in different stages as it comes in.

But seriously. Wind phobia?
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ogre in the Playground

Look at him. He probably blows away in a stiff breeze.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hadessniper View Post
    This is the coolest thing ever. It's an Italian singing a fake English song.

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/12/17...rock-song.html
    One of my high school teachers did this with fake Russian. That is, he looked up frequencies of certain sound combinations in standard Russian speech and put them together to make gibberish that sounded like someone speaking a foreign language I didn't know. Cool, but utterly useless, and I bet it takes more effort than learning a language in the first place. =P
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

17. - Top - End - #677

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    One of my high school teachers did this with fake Russian. That is, he looked up frequencies of certain sound combinations in standard Russian speech and put them together to make gibberish that sounded like someone speaking a foreign language I didn't know. Cool, but utterly useless, and I bet it takes more effort than learning a language in the first place. =P
    I dunno. Putting random sound combinations together is probably easier than learning over 10,000 words and expressions, not to mention another grammar system.
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Firbolg in the Playground

KoorlyHome has no snow. Just cold.

Right!
    I have just finished my LoTR movie marathon, having started it just shy before one o'clock this afternoon.
    My views? ANd please bare in mind that although I have read the books it was so long ago I can't recall a thing that happened so this is essentially aproaching it blind.
    Um. Wow, the music and visuals are bloody brilliant, especially in Return of the King.
    Sam is clearly the hero, Frodo's just the girl. He even looks like one, I mean, yes, Legolas is very girly to look at, but he doesn't act like it. Unlike a certain Hobbit. Frodo fainted! I called it, but more in a "If you faint now I'm so calling you the Chick." And lo, he became The Chick.

Odd snippets that stuck out that I really liked:
    Film the First (what's it called again?)
    Boromir. For one line. "They have a cave-troll." Made me laugh and I had to go back and watch it again.
    Okay, I liked a lot of the scenes in the Mines of Moria, but not the whole Crying Gimli thing. Also: the music is quite epic.
    Sarumon is . . . is that Christopher Lee??! Dude, amazing.

. . . I think I've forgotten what happened in this film already. Uummm, I like Legolas and Gimli's COunting Game. Makes for some very snickery worthy moments. My favourite was the oliphaunt.

The Elf Lady in the Woods is a light bulb. And a sadist, and possibly addicted to drugs - it's the eyes.
    For the record, how come the dark-haired lady Aragorn loves is the only elfe who can express emotions? Legolas' best one was "Oh my, I seems to have single-handedly killed an oliphaunt, look at my enormously mild chin tilt of satisfaction." Even when he's sad he can't show it. What? Is he afraid his elven botox'll break if he smiles?
    Obviously he was allowed to smile again just in time for the ending for the third film. Once.

Film the Second
    Ents vs. Isengard. Full stop. Plus [Irish Hobbit], is it Pippin?, for making Treebeard do it.
    The Battle of Deep Helmet as well. Plus it means more Legolas and Gimli snark.
    And again, good music.
    Frodo's so girlish he's an embarrasment.

FIlm the Third
    Gimli.
    Legolas for his Not-Appearing-In-This-Film-Emotions and his ridiculously impossible stunts and fighting skills. Was it in this one or the previous where he does that thing with the horse? Where he shoots something and then grabs the reins, runs to the horse's right, then spins around and vaults on the horse in some way that you just know involves a wire barely off-screen.
    The entire Seige of Minas Tirith - I love the music and visuals for this one. Plus a crazy man's always good for a laugh.
    I'd say Blonde Horse Lady's fight with the Witch-King was sweet, but I knew from the moment I heard "No man can kill him." that it would be a Hobbit, elf or girl.
    Hardly a problematic immortality if 'man' means EITHER male or a Man. Really, they couldn't figure it out?
    Sam. I like Sam. Sam's the hero; he's cool. Who else would dare single-handedly invade Sauron's castle-tower-thing? Plus he severely wounded/killed Shelob. A ginormous spider who's been terrorising Mordor for who knows how long.

Verdict.
    The music rocks!
    I really hate the ending for the trilogy, I don't know why, it just sucks. Probably because the Fellowship breaks up forever and ever, in The Hobbit at least Bilbo had his friends come back and say "Hello." and stuff. Here it's just:
    *everyone bows*
    Aragorn: Congratulations, you're heroes. Go home.
    Hobbits: Okay.
    *people marry and die*
    THE END

Gods, humans and elves (and dwarf) are jerks are they?
    Also: where are the other dwarves? They didn't all ust die in sixty years did they? And the eagles are very deus ex machina.
    The timing is all over the place, I can't tell whether A is happening concurrently with B or not; but I do like how they edited it together.
    Sam: south-west country bumpkin. And then you have a Scottish ddwarf, an Irish Hobbit and a Welsh Hobbit making poor girly Frodo and Englisher.

The action is amazing. And the music. Is there a way I can turn the speech off and have a soundtrack only watch? Who cares what people are saying, let's see some balrogs and Urak-hai get squished in a dramatic or comedic fashion!
    And I hate Frodo.
    Plus there's cleary sub-text going on between Sam and Frodo. Clearly. So clear it's all but text.

Summing up: hated the ending, some characters were idiots, others rocked. I'll probably watch again if only for the music and action sequences. Oh, and the elves are all stuck-up effeminate clones. Half they time they all looked exactly like Legolas.Goolum/Smeagol is an excellent actor by the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

19. - Top - End - #679

Okay first off, I commend you for watching all three movies in a row.
    Second, in the books, what happens is that Eowyn (blonde horse-lady) and Pippin kill that ringwraith together, so it was a woman and a hobbit.
    Third, about the eagles being deus ex machina: watch this.

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ogre in the Playground

At least the Return of the King you watched was not the animated abomination not directed by Ralph Bakshi. The Bakshi movies had the dwarf be a little less emotional, the Merry and Pippin had no presence at all, and turned Sam into a bigger annoyance than Navi and Jar Jar Binks combined.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

21. - Top - End - #681

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, that was some fun horribleness, there when I were a boy.

So... uh... Why did it take you so long?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-12-17 at 08:30 PM.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #682

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    At least the Return of the King you watched was not the animated abomination not directed by Ralph Bakshi. The Bakshi movies had the dwarf be a little less emotional, the Merry and Pippin had no presence at all, and turned Sam into a bigger annoyance than Navi and Jar Jar Binks combined.
    You mean the Rankin/Bass one? The one which involved singing orcs?

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

KoorlyHome has no snow. Just cold.

Right!<snip>No man can kill him." that it would be a Hobbit, elf or girl.
    Hardly a problematic immortality if 'man' means EITHER male or a Man. Really, they couldn't figure it out?
    Sam. I like Sam. Sam's the hero; he's cool. Who else would dare single-handedly invade Sa<snip>les are very deus ex machina.
    The timing is all over the place, I can't tell whether A is happening concurrently with B or not; but I do like how they edited it together.
    Sam: south-west country bumpkin. And then you have a Scottish ddwarf, an Irish Hobbit and a Welsh Hobbit making poor girly Frodo and Englisher.

The acti<snip>
    One of the most amusing summations of the films I've read. Thank you, Koorly.
    Last edited by randman22222; 2009-12-17 at 08:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #684

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog22 View Post
    You mean the Rankin/Bass one? The one which involved singing orcs?
    Yes, the singing orcs. Dear lord, the singing orcs.

...Why were there singing orcs?!
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #685

Yes, the singing orcs. Dear lord, the singing orcs.

...Why were there singing orcs?!
    Wait, singing orcs? What on earth is going?
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

26. - Top - End - #686

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    What, I don't even

*sobs*

I'm sad now.
    Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    I think the end of this video should show those creatures that should be frozen by an ice fairy and then incinerated by a nuclear powered crow and it relates to a comparison between the animated and Peter Jackson films of LotR.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2009-12-17 at 09:07 PM.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

28. - Top - End - #688

What, I don't even

*sobs*

I'm sad now.
    That was...odd. And I really disliked the animation. The amount of shortcuts in the animation irritates me. Recycling shots, using things to conveniently hide the feet, and somewhat jerky walk cycles all get on my nerves.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

What, I don't even

*sobs*

I'm sad now.
    that makes me sad too....

30. - Top - End - #690

There's snow! And I just made shortbread! Christmas party tomorrow...

Right!
    I have just finished my LoTR movie marathon, having started it just shy before one o'clock this afternoon.
    My views? ANd please bear in mind that although I have read the books it was so long ago I can't recall a thing that happened so this is essentially aproaching it blind.
    Um. Wow, the music and visuals are bloody brilliant, especially in Return of the King.
    Regarding the music - they're actually doing showings of the films with a live orchestra. It was Fellowship earlier this year, Two Towers next year, Return of the King in 2011. Somewhere in London. A couple of my friends went to see Fellowship and will be going to the other two, apparently it was really good.

Sam is clearly the hero, Frodo's just the girl. He even looks like one, I mean, yes, Legolas is very girly to look at, but he doesn't act like it. Unlike a certain Hobbit. Frodo fainted! I called it, but more in a "If you faint now I'm so calling you the Chick." And lo, he became The Chick.
    Frodo works better as a hero in the books, I'd say. Because most of what he does is carry the Ring, it's just that that's actually rather hard due to all the magics on it. But that's not something you can really portray in a film.
    Of course, this does not take away from the fact that Sam is awesome and badass.

Odd snippets that stuck out that I really liked:
    Film the First (what's it called again?)
    Boromir. For one line. "They have a cave-troll." Made me laugh and I had to go back and watch it again.
    Okay, I liked a lot of the scenes in the Mines of Moria, but not the whole Crying Gimli thing. Also: the music is quite epic.
    Saruman is . . . is that Christopher Lee??! Dude, amazing.

. . . I think I've forgotten what happened in this film already. Uummm, I like Legolas and Gimli's COunting Game. Makes for some very snickery worthy moments. My favourite was the oliphaunt.

The Elf Lady in the Woods is a light bulb. And a sadist, and possibly addicted to drugs - it's the eyes.
    For the record, how come the dark-haired lady Aragorn loves is the only elf who can express emotions? Legolas' best one was "Oh my, I seems to have single-handedly killed an oliphaunt, look at my enormously mild chin tilt of satisfaction." Even when he's sad he can't show it. What? Is he afraid his elven botox'll break if he smiles?
    Obviously he was allowed to smile again just in time for the ending for the third film. Once.
    Maybe a problem with the actors trying to be all mysterious and stuff?
    In the case of Legolas... I don't know. Though in the case of the oliphaunt I liked it that he was just sort of 'All in a day's work' kind of attitude. Particularly in contrast to Gimli's frustrated "That still only counts as one!"

Film the Second
    Ents vs. Isengard. Full stop. Plus [Irish Hobbit], is it Pippin?, for making Treebeard do it.
    The Battle of Deep Helmet as well. Plus it means more Legolas and Gimli snark.
    And again, good music.
    Frodo's so girlish he's an embarrasment.
    Irish? I thought he was scottish, but then, I'm not great at accents...

FIlm the Third
    Gimli.
    Legolas for his Not-Appearing-In-This-Film-Emotions and his ridiculously impossible stunts and fighting skills. Was it in this one or the previous where he does that thing with the horse? Where he shoots something and then grabs the reins, runs to the horse's right, then spins around and vaults on the horse in some way that you just know involves a wire barely off-screen.
    I think that was the second one, though I'm not sure.

The entire Siege of Minas Tirith - I love the music and visuals for this one. Plus a crazy man's always good for a laugh.
    But his death was wrong! Not just because it was different in the book, but because it was better in the book! It should be all chilling with him just standing there on fire, or maybe even lying down on the pyre. Running away and jumping off the tower just looked a bit silly. They missed the part where Denethor was supposed to be a tremendous intellect as well as going mad and trying to kill himself and his son.

I'd say Blonde Horse Lady's fight with the Witch-King was sweet, but I knew from the moment I heard "No man can kill him." that it would be a Hobbit, elf or girl.
    I think I read something that said Tolkien came up with that because he felt Shakespeare had missed an obvious trick in Macbeth ("No man born of woman..."). Same with the Ents - he didn't think men dressing up as trees was interesting enough.

Sam. I like Sam. Sam's the hero; he's cool. Who else would dare single-handedly invade Sauron's castle-tower-thing? Plus he severely wounded/killed Shelob. A ginormous spider who's been terrorising Mordor for who knows how long.
    To the first part - possibly a lot of people, that being part of the appeal. Sam as sort of an every-man character, who becomes a hero just because he's pushed to it by the terrible events he finds himself embroiled in, and by his own incredible loyalty.
    Severely wounded, but yeah. Not bad for a young gardener from the Shire.

Verdict.
    The music rocks!
    I really hate the ending for the trilogy, I don't know why, it just sucks. Probably because the Fellowship breaks up forever and ever, in The Hobbit at least Bilbo had his friends come back and say "Hello." and stuff. Here it's just:
    *everyone bows*
    Aragorn: Congratulations, you're heroes. Go home.
    Hobbits: Okay.
    *people marry and die*
    THE END
    Well, they wanted to go home. 'Cause, y'know, it's their home. I think in the book they stayed in Minas Tirith for at least a month though, but most of it was waiting around for Aragorn to fulfil some prophecies and be crowned. And then the fellowship started back together, Aragorn left at Rohan, Legolas and Gimli a bit after, Gandalf before they got back to Bree and then the four hobbits went home together.
    But all that's a bit long-winded for a film.

Gods, humans and elves (and dwarf) are jerks are they?
    Also: where are the other dwarves? They didn't all just die in sixty years did they?
    They were busy fighting Sauron's forces on their own borders.

Plus there's cleary sub-text going on between Sam and Frodo. Clearly. So clear it's all but text.
    Oh hell yes.

Gollum/Smeagol is an excellent actor by the way.
    Andy Serkis. He's awesome.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."