New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics V: Everyone Is On Fire. Some Moreso Than Others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    This sort of thing is usually universally frowned upon. As halfway through the game you will forget what you've been told, and go back to playing via WYSIWYG. And Assault his Nobs with a Dreadnought, and then watch your opponent laugh as he tells you "You know they've got Power Klaws?"
    More like "You want to assault my mob? Remember the nob has a PK". It's considered polite to warn our oponents of such easily forgetable stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Except that my 'Power Fist' is slightly converted and looks more like a Chaos-Marine Lightning Claw. Also, I have a fluff reason for why my Hawk Lords would use a 'Talon' as a Relic Blade (and I cleared it with a Tournament Organiser. And non-WYSIWYG is a huge no-no at tournaments). Also, it's only one model. Not half my army.
    Well, in all fluff fairness, the ork player could argue that that particular ork tribe builds power claws that look just like choppas.

Plus, if the tournament organizers weren't willing to acept that kind of army, probably nobody would qualify, as nobody has even an half-painted army around here. We do love the models, but painting them is a big chore.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics V: Everyone Is On Fire. Some Moreso Than Others.

I'm okay with letting WYSIWYG slide in some situations, like if the player simply can't get a hold of the weapon he wants that unit to have, or the item looks close enough to the real deal, or they did a decent job of conversion. But I wouldn't find it fair if somebody plopped a handfull coins or rocks on the table and said they were a Boyz Mob, or they put a Space Marine Chaplain on the table and said he was a Lord Commissar. Actually, that last one might slide if he looked cool enough... But still - its gotta be reasonable!

I've actually had somebody suggest just carving figures out of clay. I did not agree... (1 - Its unfair. 2 - WYSIWYG would be a nightmare. 3 - It would be time consuming and nigh-impossible, for me at least. 4 - I'd have to pay for all the clay and tools and whatnot. 5 - It just doesn't sound as fun. ) My brother, though, looked at her like she was insane. She got annoyed/mad at us for not liking her idea. And for that, she still thinks its a stupid hobby, and even got frustrated at her boyfriend for playing it with us... So glad he broke up with her.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Plus, if the tournament organizers weren't willing to acept that kind of army, probably nobody would qualify, as nobody has even an half-painted army around here. We do love the models, but painting them is a big chore.
    Painting is not an issue. Ever. It's WYSIWYG that's important.

The 'minimum 3 colours' is a guideline. At best. I've never seen it enforced (and I've been to a few tournaments over a number of years). The only rule I've ever seen enforced is 'At least undercoated'. A lot of people spray their minis white or black, and then leave them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I've actually had somebody suggest just carving figures out of clay.
    Scratch-bulding models from Green Stuff and paperclips is a fairly common practice. And then just glue on 'proper' pieces like Bolters and you're all set.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-03-08 at 05:17 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #754

Well, if you count the "Chapter of pearly whiteness", or the chaos marines of "Blackest darkest night" as painted, then yes, we do paint our miniatures with a base coating. Using a spray isn't that hard and do prevents the battle from turning into a big mesh of plastic grey.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

True, true. But she meant full on "carve it from a hunk of clay" do-it-yourself models, with no plastic or anything. Like I'd be able to do that...

6. - Top - End - #756
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was unaware this was possible to exist and still be decent.
    When did I say they were decent? I've only used them against myself so far, so they're ability to win games is pretty artificial.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Bugbear in the Playground

They do look awesome. I would buy the sanguinary guard as well just because they are so cool and then probably regret it because I cant paint anything as well as that and they would turn out badly. Oh do you reckon I could use them as normal assault marines with power weapons? How many power weapons can you take in a normal assault squad? Because they would fit in with my celestial lions army with their wings and I could could just use normal shoulder pads so I dont get the blood angels symbols.

Wow someone who plays sisters of battle yay for the Church! How are they fairing in combat so far?

How much have you guys spent on the current army you are working on and whats its point cost? Mine is $490 and its 1000 pts. 1500 pts if I use 3 units of Gun Drones in FA.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    Well, true, that's preferable, but my army's mostly about the footslogging, currently, and Sisters rhinos are expensive, since you needa make 'em out of an immo kit.
    there is the option of buying normal rhinos and painting/modeling the sister insignia on the sides

Quote Originally Posted by Issabella View Post
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...ameStyle=wh40k

Dammit now I am going to have to do a Blood angels army. I don't care about the rules at this point, the look is fantastic, especially the saginary guard. And they will be having librarian dread's it looks like.
    I don't like the wrist mounted bolters otherwise some nice looking models

also its interesting that they have the flesh tearers chapter master which would be the first example of a second founding special character in a first founding codex (that I know of)
    Check out my horrible homebrews

9. - Top - End - #759

Quote Originally Posted by crazedloon View Post
    also its interesting that they have the flesh tearers chapter master which would be the first example of a second founding special character in a first founding codex (that I know of)
    They've always said you can use the codex for decendant chapters though.

There are second founding special characters in the main space marine book (pedro cantor) but historically there just hasn't been many second founding special characters. Pretty much just Captain Cortez (another Crimson Fist) back in the 3rd edition book. The vanilla marine codex did use to be the Ultramarine specific codex, but Crimson Fists aren't descended from Ultramarines.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

10. - Top - End - #760

I just looked at the new Baal Predator. I smell burning...

I think I might be very tempted...

I have to get a look at the new codex. There is nothing else for it.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crazedloon View Post
    I don't like the wrist mounted bolters otherwise some nice looking models
    Agreed. Looked way better on the GK.
    'Course, the Sanginiour is definitely the best looking unit I've seen in a while out of GW.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    How much have you guys spent on the current army you are working on and whats its point cost? Mine is $490 and its 1000 pts. 1500 pts if I use 3 units of Gun Drones in FA.
    Lessee.
    Probably about $352.
    And it's roughly 1308 points.
    My planned 1500 point army, however, has a total cost to me of $32, what with me getting a bunch of stuff as gifts. Not counting that, however, it's about $338 in total.
    e: Prices in AUD.
    Last edited by Ninja Chocobo; 2010-03-08 at 06:38 PM.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #763

Why in all the hells are those (Otherwise awesome) Death Company models toting boltguns? Why do I have a feeling they're going to be losing their 4 S5 I5 Rending attacks T_T?

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DCGFTW View Post
    Why in all the hells are those (Otherwise awesome) Death Company models toting boltguns? Why do I have a feeling they're going to be losing their 4 S5 I5 Rending attacks T_T?
    probably because they are supposed to be normal marines driven mad and normal marines have boltguns. I am also going to bet they still have the pistols or can count their bolters as pistols.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DCGFTW View Post
    Why do I have a feeling they're going to be losing their 4 S5 I5 Rending attacks T_T?
    Probably because that's really, really ridiculously good? Even if you do pay extra points for your other squads.

With all the new units, and most probably new rules, I'm willing to bet they have something to make up for it. Or not...In the old rules they had the same stats except some had Power Fists or Weapons. That was really good. So they 'nerfed' it to all of them get Rending instead; Except that turned out to be way better. Considering how many attacks they got.

Still, with those Sanguinary Guard, it seems like I can finally make the Hawk Lords Command Squad that I actually want.
    (Fact; Hawk Lords probably don't use Bikes all that much)
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow someone who plays sisters of battle yay for the Church! How are they fairing in combat so far?
    Who, me? I'm doing fairly well. I think I've gained favored enemy (Orks) from all the times I've fought them though. Been on a winning streak, so it's been good. Haven't played my list since I changed it up a bit though, so I can't say how long it might last. Made it more burny though.

Current list is:

Spoiler
    Show
    Canoness (Tags with Seraphim)
    -Jump Pack
    -Blessed Weapon
    -Cloak of Saint Aspira
    -Inferno Pistol
    130 Points

Sisters x 13
    -Sister Superior
    --Brazier of holy Flame
    --Bolt Pistol
    --Book of St. Lucius
    -Flamer x 1
    -Hv. Flamer x1
    192 Points

Sisters x 13
    -Sister Superior
    --Brazier of Holy Flame
    --Bolt Pistol
    --Book of St. Lucius
    -Flamer x 1
    -Hv. Flamer x1
    192 Points

Seraphim x 6
    -Veteran Superior
    --Brazier of Holy Flame
    --Bolt Pistol
    --Book of St. Lucius
    -Hand Flamers x 2
    -Melta Bombs x 6
    210 Points

Dominions x 6
    -Veteran Superior
    --Power Weapon
    --Combi-Melta
    --Book of St. Lucius
    -Meltas x 4
    159 Points

^Immolator
    -Holy Promethium
    -Smoke Launchers
    -Pintle-Mounted Storm Bolter
    88 Points

Total: 971 Points

As for money, I think this all cost about... $200, approximately.
    Last edited by Mattarias, King.; 2010-03-08 at 09:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think I'm going to go with Imperial Guard, for anyone who cares.

Partially because I'd hate to see that Battleforce go to waste. And out of all the units and kits I've worked on, the Guard were the most fun for me. I really enjoyed building and painting them, more-so than Orks and Marines. And mine aren't just some massive swarm of look-a-likes. Each soldier is different nd personalized, and I greatly enjoyed doing that...

Plus, I wanna see the look on people's faces when I drop multiple mortar barrages on them.

Edit: Also, I don't feel much draw towards the Blood Angels. They don't really appeal to me... Space Marine vampires just doesn't sound as awesome to me as it should, especially since they seem to be relatively assault-y... Sorry?
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2010-03-08 at 10:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Orc in the Playground

each to their own dude, no need to appologise. mainly going to look over their army book before commiting to them personaly, but I am loving the modles.

19. - Top - End - #769

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Well, in all fluff fairness, the ork player could argue that that particular ork tribe builds power claws that look just like choppas.

I diagree greatly with that statement. I enjoy painting an immense deal. Its fun, relaxing and a big part of the hobby. I also have painted up my 1000 pts army and I am currently working on painting another 500 pts. I may not be the best painter around but my army still looks good on the battlefield and I just cringe when I see people playing with unpainted models. It doesnt even take that long. Just spend an hour each day after school or work and you'll soon enjoy painting them. Also once you start painting it gets easier and you get better. I recently started painting lenses like the heavy metal team does and I was surprised at how easy it actually is.

Highlighting is also really easy. You dont even have to mix the paints yourself you can just buy them. Ie for commader farsight I painted him differently to the rest of my army, chaos black under coat, ultramarines blue, enchanted blue, ice blue and then just a little skull white dry brushing on the edges. It looks good and doesnt take any significant amount time either.

Also wow, I seem to have spent more money than you guys I am surprised. If I add in the paints and brushes thats like another $60 on top of that. Damn crisis suits being so expensive.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also once you start painting it gets easier and you get better.
    Seconded. The more you paint, the better you'll get. And the easier/more fun it becomes.

Painting your first model sucks. But once you get on a roll, you'll find it's less boring than it used to be.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Lets count! This is after a year of collecting CSM, using eBay as a primary buying source

40 Berserkers ($50, 1000pts)
    2 Defilers ($75, 300pts)
    1 Vindicator ($25, 145pts)
    10 Chosen ($25, 300pts)
    1 Dreadnought ($10, 100pts)
    2 Land raiders (Christmas gifts, but at full market price $110, 440pts)
    2 Rhinos ($55, 70pts)
    1 Demon Prince ($0, 155pts)
    1 Chaos Lord ($15, 145pts)
    1 Kharn the Betrayer ($20, 165pts)
    10 raptors ($25, 300 points)
    5 Terminators ($35, 200 points)

So for a total we have... $445 and 3320 points. .....wow I had no idea I had spent that much. Although I was also unaware I had enough points to do a true Apoc Game. Hrm.... might be time for a brass scorpion.

edit: Oh, and I don't want to make an extra post. But I bought and painted Kharn the Betrayer wooo

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Myatar_Panwar; 2010-03-09 at 01:53 AM.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

That's an amazing job, dude.

My 40K spending...

Assault on Black Reach - 35 dollars
    Various paints and brushes - est 30 dollars
    Ork Boyz kit - 20 dollars
    Imperial Guard Battleforce - 40 dollars
    Lord Commissar - 15 dollars
    (Gift) Tau Fire Warriors - 20 dollars
    (Gift) Chaos Marine Codex - 22 dollars
    Ork Codex - 22 dollars
    Plasticard & Green Stuff - 15 dollars

Sooo... About 220 dollars, and only about half of it was for my own army/armies.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh well now that I think about it, if I were to count paints/greenstuff/basing materials, that would probably add another hundred or so.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

24. - Top - End - #774
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, this Chaplain looks so much better than piece of crap current ones it isn't even funny.

By the way, what pistols these guys have? It doesn't look like any of the Codex pistols.

And there's still no sight of that flying Rhino mini. I wonder how it will look like
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Wow, this Chaplain looks so much better than piece of crap current ones it isn't even funny.

By the way, what pistols these guys have? It doesn't look like any of the Codex pistols.

And there's still no sight of that flying Rhino mini. I wonder how it will look like
    Melta pistols, looks like.
    ithilanor on Steam.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Yep, looks like that to me. Maybe 6 inch ranged, Str 8, AP1, Melta, based on the generic way GW arm their marines these days.

The new Blood Angels stuff looks very pretty though, I'm almost tempted to use the Sanguinary Guard as Raptors.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2010-03-09 at 05:51 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

To be honest... now that I look at it, all these things look hellishly expensive. These 5 guys cost as much as 10 regular ones. Considering all these extra backpacks, I'd buy 2 packs of 5, 10 regular marines and made it into 20 Death Company with extra bits from the first 10, way to expensive otherwise. They might make nice replacements for the Sternguard, though.

Also, GW again shows sprues with backs of vital parts, such as helmets. Ducks. I don't ask for two photos of sprue, but showing more important side would be nice.

Or that new Predator - 40% more expensive, when all you need is 2 Assault Cannons (or even pipe cut into 12 pieces) to make it in 5 minutes.

I'm also not a big fan of this 'muscled' armor of the SGuard, complete with tits. Wait, what?

And Furioso - why buy one when you have cheaper Ironclad that can easily take part? If you want bling, Forgeworld is better, it seems like a poor middleman.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

28. - Top - End - #778

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    To
    I'm also not a big fan of this 'muscled' armor of the SGuard, complete with tits. Wait, what?
    It's based on real life roman parade armour (knowing the romans they probably stole it from somewhere else).Captain Tycho and Mephiston have always had it.

So just be thankful they don't also have miniskirts.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-03-09 at 06:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't the old sculpt of Commander Dante have moulded power armour just like those new models? I also seem to remember his feet had moulded toes....*shiver*

Almost right, it's the current sculpt, been around for a while though I think.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2010-03-09 at 06:49 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Here I thought they were hand flamers.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show