New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop VII: Common Sense is not RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post
    So I was reading up on somebody's variant Apocalypse rules, and they mentioned they use IA Titan Hunter rules instead of the current Destroyer rules. Does anybody know what the Titan Hunter rules were exactly, or which IA I can find them inn?
    Zorg might know. Index Astartes is very old. I'm kind of surprised that whatever site you're on didn't just flat-out say what a Titan Hunter was.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think he's referring to Imperial Armour, the books that Apocalypse comes in, as opposed to Index Astartes.

As for Titan Hunters, nothing comes to mind.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Orc in the Playground

Since I've been getting bored with my Imperial Guard army, I'm thinking of trying out a second army. Right now I'm interested in the Kroot Mercenaries fan made army. Does anyone have any experience with the kroot or any advise?

Also one quick question:
    Does an Eldar wave serpent's energy field reduce the strength of a vehicle ramming the wave serpent?
    GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fizzypop View Post
    Since I've been getting bored with my Imperial Guard army, I'm thinking of trying out a second army. Right now I'm interested in the Kroot Mercenaries fan made army.
    The problem there is the fact that its a fan-made list and isn't actually legal...Well, anywhere. Be prepared for your opponent to not let you use it. As far as my (legal) experience goes with Kroot, they are bad. Aside from one very flukey move involving your opponent putting his entire army in Reserve for no reason, there's really no need to take Kroot over Fire Warriors in a Tau list. Because Kroot are bad.

If you like the Kroot Mercenaries list, you might want to consider Tyranids, Chaos Daemons or Orks for a more legal approach.

Since it's also not a real list, as such, models will be a b* to get, unless you're prepared for that and okay with it.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-07-18 at 03:37 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #605
    Firbolg in the Playground

Played a 1000 point game against a Space Wolves.

Lists:

Spoiler
    Show
    Black Templars
    Emperor's Champion
    Accept any Challange, no matter the odds

Crusader Squad A
    8 initiates, 5 neophytes, melta gun, power sword

Crusader Squad B
    Same as A

Crusader Squad C
    7 initiates, 5 neophytes, Power Fist, Flamer

5 Sword Brethren Terminators
    Two Assault Cannons

Space Wolves
    Wolf Lord

Wolf Priest
    Plasma pistol, Saga of the Warrior Born

Wolf Guard Battle leader
    Plasma pistol, saga of the hunter

Elites
    5 wolf scouts Squad A
    2 plasma pistols, combat blades

5 wolf scouts Squad B
    sniper rifles

Lone Wolf
    Terminator armour, twin lightning claws, 1 fenrisian wolf

Troops
    10 Grey Hunters Squad A
    twin flamers

5 Grey Hunters Squad B
    Flamer

Yeah, it was his first attempt at making a SW army and had already spent 2 hours at his computer list building, so he just went with it.

The game:

Spoiler
    Show
    5 objectives and Dawn of War deployment are rolled. So that's 1 objective for every troops choice.

Deployment
    He goes first and puts his Grey hunters in a line across the center and puts the Wolf Priest in with the smaller unit on his left hand side.

I put Crusader Squad C and the Emperor's Champion to his right and Squad A to his left.

Turn 1.
    His Lone Wolf, Wolf Lord and sniper Scouts come on. Nothing he has is in range, so he mostly just stays where he is and consolodates his squads together a bit.

On my turn one my terminators come in and shoot at Grey Hunters Squad B, killing two or so. Crusader Squad B comes on and runs forwards at Grey Hunter Squad A.

Turn 2.
    He does nothing and waits for his wolf lord and lone wolf to catch up. The sniper scouts try and shoot but cause minimal effect.

I send Crusader Squad A up to take some shots at Grey Hunters Squad B and the Terminators do the same. The Emperor's Champion moves into Crusader Squad B, which proves to be the only squad in charge range of Grey Hunters Squad A. Both Squad A and C get some shooting hits on the Grey Hunters but don't kill more than 2.

In combat the Emperor's champion gets killed by the Wolf Lord but is striking simultaneously so he gets his chance to hit three times and then roll three 1s to wound. The rest of his squad kill a few Grey Hunters but it isn't enough and I lose by four and fail 1 fearless save.

Turn 3.
    His melee wolf scouts and wolf guard battle leader come on. The snipers get a few rending hits on my terminators but I pass the cover saves. His lone wolf manages to charge crusader squad C and the wolf scouts and Grey Hunters Squad B charge into Crusader Squad A, butchering it down to the last man who then fails two of his 6 fearless saves. The Lone wolf kills some scouts and suffers a wound and loses his wolf. My powerfist then fails to score a single blow and I lose combat by 1 and pass my fearless save. The combat between the wolf lord and crusader squad B continues and I score to wounds on the wolf lord but don't kill any Grey Hunters. As the combat ends only 2 initiates and three Grey hunters remain.

On my turn the terminators retreat and shoot at Grey Hunter squad B, wiping it out and leaving the wolf priest alone on one wound.

The Lone Wolf fails to roll a single hit and his torn apart by Crusader Squad C. But its too late for them to charge in and save Squad B, who just manage to kill the poorly rolling wolf lord before being wiped out.

Turn 4.
    His last Grey Hunter unit moves away from my remaining Crusader squad and heads towards my terminators and the two objectives they're contesting. His wolf scouts, no joined by both the priest and the battle leader, charge forwards but fail to cause a wound with their plasma pistols and the snipers fail likewise.

The brave terminators fail to score a single storm bolter wound, but their assault cannons tear the scouts apart, leaving the priest and battle leader alone and both on a single wound.

Turn 5.
    The snipers and heroes' plasma pistols finally make their mark, killing a single terminator. The grey hunters fire their flamer at the terminators and I roll three 1s, leaving a single assault cannon termintor to be charged and torn apart by the Grey hunters.

My last unit, seeing themselves surrounded, move onto the objective and use a tower to block the sniper's line of sight.

Turn 6
    He leaves his grey hunters on an objective and sends his heroes up a ladder to get to the tower via a connective bridge. The snipers run forwards.

I simply re-arrange my models to keep them out of sniper line of sight.

Turn 7.
    His snipers run forwards and the heroes make their way to the top of the ladder. The Grey hunters manage to make a single long range kill with their bolt guns and the crusaders run forwards at the snipers.

The crusaders move forwards, keeping a single warrior on the objective and fire into the scouts with their flamer and pistols, wiping them out.

The game ends in a draw. Mostly because he took the long route trying to climb up to that bridge rather than just running the 12 inches along the ground.

Afterwards we continued playing. The wolf priest got across the bridge, but the battle leader was too slow and got shot to pieces by my crusaders. The wolf priest finally managed to charge but was killed, inflicting only one or two casualties. My remaining initiates then charged over to his Grey Hunters and butchered them all.

Lessons learned:
    3+ saves on HQs make them too vulnerable to normal weapons.
    Terminators can shoot most units to bits.
    Wolf scouts are okay in melee, but not that good and die easily to shooting.
    Two characters might cost the same as a decent sized unit but are no substitute.

[/spoiler]
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    3+ saves on HQs make them too vulnerable to normal weapons.
    Care to explain? Do you have your characters in units?
    Or are you trying to say that Power Armour can't save you all the time?

Terminators can shoot most units to bits.
    Yep.

Wolf scouts are okay in melee, but not that good and die easily to shooting.
    They have the statline of a regular Marine, but have worse armour.

Two characters might cost the same as a decent sized unit but are no substitute.
    You're only just learning this now?
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #607

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    The problem there is the fact that its a fan-made list and isn't actually legal...Well, anywhere. Be prepared for your opponent to not let you use it. As far as my (legal) experience goes with Kroot, they are bad. Aside from one very flukey move involving your opponent putting his entire army in Reserve for no reason, there's really no need to take Kroot over Fire Warriors in a Tau list. Because Kroot are bad.

If you like the Kroot Mercenaries list, you might want to consider Tyranids, Chaos Daemons or Orks for a more legal approach.

Since it's also not a real list, as such, models will be a b* to get, unless you're prepared for that and okay with it.
    I dunno they are pretty good in heavily wooded terrain. They are also cheaper than firewarriors, so if you want another troop unit they are a cheap and easy fix. But for any other actual uses they don't do much for the tau army.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

8. - Top - End - #608
    Firbolg in the Playground

Care to explain? Do you have your characters in units?
    Or are you trying to say that Power Armour can't save you all the time?
    They weren't my characters. They were in units, but I could target them in melee and kill them anyway. Since his characters had invulnerable saves I just had my power weapons attack his normal troopers and my other guys attack his characters and they just died too easily. If he'd taken rune armour on his wolf lord I'd have probably lost.

His power armour rolls are always really good (except when he's playing sisters) and I tend to be unable to kill more than one per volley of shots.

One game I shot 6 flamer templates into his terminators, failed the roll to get divine guidance and watched him pass all his saving throws. I then charged and killed three of them, but got wiped out the moment I ran out of faith to continue with spirit of the martyr.

You're only just learning this now?
    Mostly only because I haven't been dumb enough to try it.

But he only had two characters alone because my terminators killed their guards.

But come to think of it, one game where the mission forced me to keep my HQs in reserve and made my army in theory useless ended in a draw because I managed to wipe out two units of stormtroopers/veterans by charging a lone character into each. They weren't even pimped out characters, one was an Emperor's Champion and the other a Reclusiarch with a jet pack and probably not even terminator honours or artificer armour.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-07-18 at 08:40 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Orc in the Playground

My local gaming group is fine with me using an illegal codex, and I don't plan to enter any tournaments with this army. I realize kroot aren't the greatest and in my opinion many of the kroot units are overpointed, but i won't be taking the army as a very competetive army but as one that is fun to model. I am prepared to lose a lot of games.

Also my question from before:
    Does an Eldar wave serpent's energy field reduce the strength of a vehicle ramming the wave serpent?
    GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Army list advice:

Here's the list so far:

Troops:
    10 berzerkers
    -rhino w/extra armor
    -210pts

10 chaos space marines
    -flamer, ML, IoCG
    -175pts

Heavy Support:

Defiler
    -150pts

Defiler
    -150pts

General idea is that the defilers will force the enemy in cover, if it's an objectives game the marines will sit on one objective and the berzerkers and defilers will try to kill the enemy's troops and the berzerkers try to get to an objective in the last turn(s). If it's assulty the marines will be an anvil and the berzerkers and defilers countercharge units. if theirs is a shooty army I'll advance quickly with the berzerkers follow with the defilers shooting and the marines filling in wherever needed.

The enemy is an eldar and while I probably shouldn't use that information it's almost certain he'll take Elrad because I can't remember the last time he didn't take Elrad.

Most important thing is what HQ to take, I'm thinking about taking a nothing but wings deamon prince and using it to hunt down weak units and possibly help with anti-tank, but I'm not sure. Other thing I worry about is not having enough anti-tank, should I possibly think about a unit of havocs or obligerators?
    A viking who isn't intimidated!!

Dreaming of a wight apocalypse

"next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face!"

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fizzypop View Post
    Also my question from before:
    "Any ranged attack"
    So no.

e: You do dodge it on a 3+, though.
    Last edited by Ninja Chocobo; 2010-07-18 at 07:28 PM.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #612
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

smile Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop VII: Common Sense is not RAW.

Hi

I have some rules questions for you guys if anyone feels up to it

I was playing a friendly game vs. NIDs and the nid player put his Hive tyrant with 1 tyrant bodyguard, then he put a 4 ripper bases in front of them and concluded that since when a Hive tyrant joins a unit of tyrant guard he counts as a member of the unit (definetly true) and since the unit is not MCs it therefore get a cover save from the swarms. That was not a major issue for me, a bit strange since the reason you can shot at big guys over units is size.

But the real problem and thing I want to ask about is that when I shot at him using the "bring it down" order he claimed I coulden't use it since the hive tyrant now no longer counts as a MC.

What do you people say? It feels like if it no longer counts as a MC then I might as well assult it since it no longer ignores saves and only get 1d6 armour penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post
    So I was reading up on somebody's variant Apocalypse rules, and they mentioned they use IA Titan Hunter rules instead of the current Destroyer rules. Does anybody know what the Titan Hunter rules were exactly, or which IA I can find them inn?
    And to answer this, unless I remeber it wrong the rule Titan hunter were that you inflicted 1d3 structure points damage instead of 1. If fired on a gargantuan or MC you did 1d6 wounds.
    Last edited by Lowkey Lyesmith; 2010-07-18 at 10:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #613

Unfortunately, your opponent is correct.

From the Tyranids FAQ
    Q: If a Hive Tyrant or the Swarmlord joins a unit of
    Tyrant Guard, is it treated as an Independent Character
    for the purposes of resolving shooting attacks (i.e.
    independent characters who are monstrous creatures
    can be targeted separately from the unit) and assaults
    (i.e. independent characters always count as separate
    units in an assault)?
    A: No.
    However, the Tyrant would not have been able to take a cover save from the Rippers, because Monstrous Creatures need 50% or better cover to claim a cover save.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DCGFTW View Post
    However, the Tyrant would not have been able to take a cover save from the Rippers, because Monstrous Creatures need 50% or better cover to claim a cover save.
    The fact he only took one Tyrant Guard makes it go all runny. If he'd taken two, the majority of the unit would have been in cover, and he'd get a save. But, he's only taken one, so there's no actual majority to the unit.
    My other avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DCGFTW View Post
    Personally, I'd go with the -1 cover save rule on page 51 if you're in a unit with a Tyrant Guard. Also, my internet is capped for the next few days. So, short posts and no battle report for the next few days.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-07-19 at 03:39 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I'd go with the -1 cover save rule on page 51 if you're in a unit with a Tyrant Guard. Also, my internet is capped for the next few days. So, short posts and no battle report for the next few days.
    Oh yeah, thats true, my brother is in australia, and he says you got crappy internet.

Apperently noone offers unlimited use internet?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    There are. Except only in and around the cities. We've got mad internet providers like iinet. Who are awesome, because they're, like the only ISP ever, to win a court battle for not forcing anti-piracy measures on their servers (not that I condone piracy at all, it's just the fact that they won such a court battle which shouldn'tve happened).

Since I live in a 'regional' area (despite the fact that the place I live in has been experiencing continuous unprecedented growth for the last fifteen years straight), there are only a few ISPs that will service us. And they don't offer unlimited internet.

And Steven Conroy finally admitted his plan for Australian internet was completely stupid. But, we shouldn't talk about that here. Forum rules and all.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-07-19 at 05:02 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    There's like, two. But, they're garbage.
    My other avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi 40k thread. I'm popping back in as part of my ongoing (struggle-filled) tactical study of a game that took eschew IRL tactics as a level 2 bonus feat.

Now, my Assault Marines seem to have a serious problem. That is to say, one of dying. They die an awful lot.

The only time they've survived is when they plowed through a mob of gaunts and then the game ended. That was all they did all game.

In my most recent match this past Saturday they did manage to wipe out an entire unit of kroot before staring at a stealthsuit team an inch away as the Fire Warriors around them shot the poor men into eternal dying pain. Except that the pain was over quickly, because the entire unit folded.

Admittedly we were facing Tau in an illegal deployment and I can't help but feel we'd have fared a lot better had we not started 72" from them, but I'm still quite irritated by the speed with which my Assault Marines always seem to die, to the extent that I'm considering deep striking them in future.

Admittedly, I hate hate HATE the deep strike rules, but if I used drop-pod homers for a tag-team then they'll be scatter-free, right? It just seems that deploying those guys in deep would be a good way to get them into assault where they belong and avoid the painful deadening they've experienced of late.

Thoughts? Comments? Pure insanities?

Also - a couple of other questions

Can they really shoot at me if I'm less than 1" away from them? Just seems silly I guess.

Also, how do Imperial Guard troops choices work? My friend recently bought a guard army that I fear isn't a legal deployment and I'd like to warn him, as he's so dearly fond of the guard.

Can you take single Imperial Guard infantry squads as troop choices?

Also (Spoiler'd for irrelavence)

Spoiler
    Show
    There are. Except only in and around the cities. We've got mad internet providers like iinet. Who are awesome, because they're, like the only ISP ever, to win a court battle for not forcing anti-piracy measures on their servers (not that I condone piracy at all, it's just the fact that they won such a court battle which shouldn'tve happened).

Since I live in a 'regional' area (despite the fact that the place I live in has been experiencing continuous unprecedented growth for the last fifteen years straight), there are only a few ISPs that will service us. And they don't offer unlimited internet.

And Steven Conroy finally admitted his plan for Australian internet was completely stupid. But, we shouldn't talk about that here. Forum rules and all.
    No, we shouldn't discuss any of this here at all. Especially because I disagree with you on every count, kinda (I'd suggest searching 'Australian Net Filter' in google news, just btw ...)

Still, my condolences about your nets - coming from someone who gets a blistering 30 kb/s I feel your pain. If only I could feel no pain ...
    Last edited by Klose_the_Sith; 2010-07-19 at 05:26 AM.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    but I'm still quite irritated by the speed with which my Assault Marines always seem to die, to the extent that I'm considering deep striking them in future.
    How many do you have? Do you use LoS blockers? Cover? Yes. Jumping into difficult (dangerous when Jumping) is preferable to standing out in the open. Do you have other targets to shoot at that are just as Fast or Assault-y as the Assault Marines?

If you've only got one unit running up the board at your opponent, he only needs to shoot at one thing. Have two units or Land Speeders, Bikes, Metal Bawkses, etc.

Admittedly, I hate hate HATE the deep strike rules, but if I used drop-pod homers for a tag-team then they'll be scatter-free, right?
    Don't Deep Strike Assault Marines. Unless they're Sanguinary Guard with Angelus Bolters. But, then you're an idiot because you have Sanguinary Guard instead of an Honour Guard, Terminators or Sternguard.

Can they really shoot at me if I'm less than 1" away from them? Just seems silly I guess.
    Yes.

Can you take single Imperial Guard infantry squads as troop choices?
    No. An Infantry Platoon is one Platoon Command and 2+ Infantry Squads. Read the small print at the top of page 96. As far as deployment goes, they are all individual units and can go wherever they want.

Spoiler
    Show
    No, we shouldn't discuss any of this here at all. Especially because I disagree with you on every count, kinda (I'd suggest searching 'Australian Net Filter' in google news, just btw ...
    I did. Steven Conroy has backed down and has shelved the project until further notice because he acknowledges that it's a failure. That's what I said before. But not really.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-07-19 at 05:59 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

How many do you have? Do you use LoS blockers? Cover? Yes. Jumping into difficult (dangerous when Jumping) is preferable to standing out in the open. Do you have other targets to shoot at that are just as Fast or Assault-y as the Assault Marines?
    Generally I'll run a single squad of 10, but that's only because no-one else in my area is able to build a list over 1,000 points

Last game, for example, I was running forward an assault screen of two combat squads of Tactical Marines geared for assault, a squad of Hammernators with my Captain and the Assault Squad (I knew we were playing Spearhead in advance so I figured that the Termies would do well. It turns out we were playing a kind of Spearhead reserved solely for that deployment.)

Every squad hugged cover where appropriate, it's just that they still dropped like flies. How annoying

If you've only got one unit running up the board at your opponent, he only needs to shoot at one thing. Have two units or Land Speeders, Bikes, Metal Bawkses, etc.
    Eh, don't really care for Rhinos. Maybe bikes and Land Speeders once I get the IRL currency/opportunity.

Don't Deep Strike Assault Marines. Unless they're Sanguinary Guard with Angelus Bolters. But, then you're an idiot because you have Sanguinary Guard instead of an Honour Guard, Terminators or Sternguard.
    That's what I figured, but desperate times and all that ...

No. An Infantry Platoon is one Platoon Command and 2+ Infantry Squads. Read the small print at the top of page 96. As far as deployment goes, they are all individual units and can go wherever they want.
    Poor guy

Spoiler
    Show
    I did. Steven Conroy has backed down and has shelved the project until further notice because he acknowledges that it's a failure. That's what I said before. But not really.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Further notice = after the election, according to the most recent official statements. Gillard even supports the scheme, but that's all I'm going to say on this subject. No more politikziz.
    Last edited by Klose_the_Sith; 2010-07-19 at 06:24 AM.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Generally I'll run a single squad of 10, but that's only because no-one else in my area is able to build a list over 1,000 points
    Ten should be enough for 1000 points. But, again, if they're the only thing in your army...

I was running forward an assault screen of two combat squads of Tactical Marines geared for assault
    'Geared for Assault' without Rhinos? Fail.

squad of Hammernators with my Captain
    Walking 6" a turn? Sounds...Fun?

and the Assault Squad
    Right. Your opponent has Combat Squadding 'Assault-orientated' Tactical Squads (short range weapons, moving up the board/not firing Heavy weapons), and Hammernators which are not even a ranged threat at all, so you don't need to start shooting them 'til they're 18-12" away.

Unless the Hammernators are Deep Striking (they should), and in that case, they're not on the board and not providing an extra target.

Either way, I wouldn't shoot at anything except the Assault Marines either. If you were playing against Tau, that makes it even worse. Tau need Assault Marines to die.

Eh, don't really care for Rhinos.
    That's your problem. It doesn't stop Rhinos from being life-savers.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

You're not allowed to be less than 1" away, unless you're assaulting.
    My other avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

'Geared for Assault' without Rhinos? Fail.
    Hmph. Considering that it's the first game I've had where those sorts of squads didn't pay off, I'm going to blame the board and hax.

When I say geared for assault, it's probably better described as geared for in-close, by any means necessary. Doesn't stop them from pausing whenever they've got good shooting targets of opportunity.

Walking 6" a turn? Sounds...Fun?
    6" + Run. They really aren't that slow, they just got really unlucky and failed some saves they shouldn't've.

Right. Your opponent has Combat Squadding 'Assault-orientated' Tactical Squads (short range weapons, moving up the board/not firing Heavy weapons), and Hammernators which are not even a ranged threat at all, so you don't need to start shooting them 'til they're 18-12" away.
    Except that Hammernator's will tend to have a nasty psychological impact. Just like any player hesitates before charging a 'nid monstrosity or concentrates excess fire on something that looks nasty.

In fact, exactly like forcing ones opponent to concentrate fire on something that looks nasty.

Unless the Hammernators are Deep Striking (they should), and in that case, they're not on the board and not providing an extra target.
    Should they? The board was a chest-high-wall nightmare and they would have suffered a perils test, guaranteed. I don't really fancy paying for 200 points of dead bodies.

That's your problem. It doesn't stop Rhinos from being life-savers.
    The only time I tried running MEQ it failed hilariously. Admittedly I should probably give it another go, but I'd need to get Razorbacks before I considered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    You're not allowed to be less than 1" away, unless you're assaulting.
    They assaulted a Kroot squad that was entangled with a Stealth suit squad and couldn't consolidate far enough away when the Kroot were destroyed several dice rolls later.
    Last edited by Klose_the_Sith; 2010-07-19 at 07:10 AM.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

They assaulted a Kroot squad that was entangled with a Stealth suit squad and couldn't consolidate far enough away when the Kroot were destroyed several dice rolls later.
    If that's the case you should have been counted as assaulting the stealth suit squad, too.
    Which, of course, means they can't shoot you.
    My other avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

[QUOTE=Klose_the_Sith;8953298]6" + Run. They really aren't that slow, they just got really unlucky and failed some saves they shouldn't've.[/QUOTE[

Run isn't exactly the most reliable thing in the world. Unless you're Hormagaunts or Guard with Orders.

Except that Hammernator's will tend to have a nasty psychological impact. Just like any player hesitates before charging a 'nid monstrosity or concentrates excess fire on something that looks nasty.
    Depends who you're playing.

In fact, exactly like forcing ones opponent to concentrate fire on something that looks nasty.
    I know that super-Terminators are wasted on Fire Warriors. Wheras Assault Marines are not. If I was playing Tau, I know I would target the Assault Marines first.

Plus, Assault Marines are the easier kill. Of course.

Should they? The board was a chest-high-wall nightmare
    Fair enough.

The only time I tried running MEQ it failed hilariously.
    What do Rhinos have to do with MEQ?
    Basically, your opponent has to kill the Rhino before he can even hurt the Marines inside. Its why Transports are so good. Goes double when you have a decent ranged unit inside. The Rhino has two Fire Points. Plasma Cannon and Plasmagun. Lascannon. Drive 12" forward, shoot a Meltagun, etc.

What Ninja Chocobo said.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-07-19 at 07:37 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #627

SamuraiGuy

Can we get any more info about this table you were playing on Klose? It sounded very stacked. And if that is the case, there's not much you could have done.

As for deepstrike, investing in one Drop pod for a locator beacon isn't a terrible idea, just not a sustainable one. Best case scenario is that it comes down close to an objective in the enemy deployment zone that the (tactical) squad inside can get into and hunker down in, then it survives in play long enough to allow you to get your reserves down, and provide cover while they cannot do anything on the turn they land.
    Whats more likely with a AV10 open-topped vehicle is that it's a crater waiting to happen.

Your other option is a Scout Bike squad with a locator beacon. While I don't need to sing the praises of their tactical flexibility (Cheese does that enough), they're invaluable to getting deep-strikers where you need them most and are most definetly a worthwhile investment if you do decide to go down that path.
    Last edited by One Step Two; 2010-07-19 at 07:44 AM.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    Whats more likely with a AV10 open-topped vehicle is that it's a crater waiting to happen.
    *Ahem* A Drop Pod is AV12, and they're awesome, except against MCs who auto-hit.

Your other option is a Scout Bike squad with a locator beacon. While I don't need to sing the praises of their tactical flexibility (Cheese does that enough
    Take a Bike. The best thing ever. Take a Scout. The second-best thing ever. Mash them together. Scout Bikes. Infiltrating Scouts, that can Scout 24" with a Locator Beacon for Drop Pods...Yeah. ??? Profit.
    They have Twin-Linked bolters to mitigate their BS 3, they're T5 Scouts. And can take Astartes Grenade Launchers. 3 of them!
    CLUSTER MINES!
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #629

SamuraiGuy

*Ahem* A Drop Pod is AV12, and they're awesome, except against MCs who auto-hit.
    Ah, apologies. They are an AV12 open-topped vehicle is that it's a crater waiting to happen.

Take a Bike. The best thing ever. Take a Scout. The second-best thing ever. Mash them together. Scout Bikes. Infiltrating Scouts, that can Scout 24" with a Locator Beacon for Drop Pods...Yeah. ??? Profit.
    They have Twin-Linked bolters to mitigate their BS 3, they're T5 Scouts. And can take Astartes Grenade Launchers. 3 of them!
    CLUSTER MINES!
    See? Didn't need to say a thing.

Also, while we're on the subject of Deepstriking:

Terminators, what allows them to deepstrike? I was just checking my Marine Codex (which is what I should have done earlier in relation to the drop pod), and they don't have the deepstrike special rule. Am I missing something?

Edit: Nevermind, I just checked the Space Marine Armoury, Terminator Armour special quality. Time to re-read my codecies to see what else I've forgotten.
    Last edited by One Step Two; 2010-07-19 at 07:58 AM.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, it does sound like the terrain was set up in the Tau players favour. Hey everybody, I have a great idea! Let's set up a table specifically so my Tau can get some firing practice without any risk of assault! Doesn't sound like a very fun game to me, but I might be reading it wrong.

Rhino's are great for protecting Troop units, and a very cheap way to do it points-wise. Bomb them up the table, have your heavies fire out of them, and when they inevitably get immobilsed or destroyed, hide behind the burning wreck for cover!

Having recently sold off my Tau to raise some cash, I've been tasked with putting together a 1250 point (I don't know why it's always that number ) force for our next campaign. I've decided on Necrons, because they're hopelessly easy to paint and I therefore have half a chance of playing with a fully painted army at campaign start. It also helps that they play rather differently to my existing CSM and CD forces. Before I go out to buy anything, I've come up with a possible army list, which I'd like to check for glaring errors/omissions:

1250 Point Necron Force
    Spoiler
    Show

HQ - Necron Lord
    Warscythe
    Ressurection Orb

Troops – 10 Necron Warriors

Troops - 10 Necron Warriors

Troops – 10 Necron Warriors

Fast Attack – 10 Scarab Swarms

Fast Attack – 3 Wraiths

Fast Attack – 2 Wraiths

Heavy Support – Monolith

Total - 1250 points

I agonised over whether to take Pariahs or Wraiths, but thought Wraiths would be better as they count for I'll be Back, though five of them with warscythes would make one heck of a retinue for the Lord. Should I go for Pariahs despite their detrimental effect on my Phase Out score?

I have a general idea of having the Wraiths rushing forward using any cover available, while the scarabs provide a firescreen for my warriors, and the Monolith churns out fluxy death and helps to keep my troop choices fighting. I think there's a risk of the Wraiths getting isolated though, as the rest of the force is pretty slow and static.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2010-07-19 at 08:21 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn